MISSION 2 - DECEPTION

The Gamers Society

MISSION 2: DECEPTION

‘Yixing….Yixing’ Baekhyun says to himself while looking at the offices on the 2nd floor trying to find the one that might lead him to the gold at the end of his metaphorical rainbow. ‘Bingo!’ Baekhyun finds the door with the sign Zhang Yixing ‘I wonder when I’ll get my own sign with my name on it’ thinking out loud is his usual thing. ‘Can I help you?’ the voice startles Baekhyun that he almost plants face first into the closed door he was staring at. ‘uhm, yes I’m Baekhyun, I work downstairs you must be Yixing, I..I wasn’t eavesdropping or anything’ Baekhyun eyes him up and down in a flash, why is his voice getting higher? Why does he have to look so far up? Why is his ears heating up AND why is Yixing so damn hot? ‘Yixing is actually not here today he has the cold, I told him to use those hotpacks I brought for him’, the stranger sighs with a terribly worried look on his face. He said cold right, not pneumonia so why does he have that look on his face like someone just kicked his puppy, Baekhyun wonders while unaware of his blatant staring at the tall man. ‘So what can I help you with, are you a friend of Yixing?’ The too hot for those circular glasses guy asks. ‘No, nothing important’ there’s an awkward silence between the two ‘What’s your name?’ the man’s voice was so deep, for such a youthful face how is that even possible ‘Byun Baekhyun’ Baekhyun more confident now that he didn’t have to break that awkward silence, meeting new friends at work is good. ‘Byun huh? The new intern who listed all 5 flaws in the intern test so I finally get to meet you’ and there it was the brightest smile Baekhyun had ever seen. ‘I’m Park’ wait what? ‘Park Chanyeol’ WHAT?!

‘WHAT? Park Chanyeol? The genius we heard about in our freshmen year that every programmer couldn’t shut up about? Gamer alias Loey who had that gamer’s society that we could never get in? He is the boss that’s working on Monster trial?’ Jongdae basically shouting in the middle of campus for everyone to give distasteful looks.

‘Yes, I am shocked, but OMG Dae it’s so believable, if anyone could start such a company it was going to be him, we used to all idolize him back then even when we only heard stories, he made gamers and programming cool’ Baekhyun spoke as if he was awarding Chanyeol a nobel peace prize. ‘Damn how hot could he have been for you to go on about him like that, you usually never talk about guys like that, they are the ones talking about you Baek, did you guys like hook up in the bathroom at work or something?’ Jongdae questions with one eyebrow raised. ‘No, nothing like that, I kind of ran away as soon as he said his name’ Baekhyuns voice sounds regretful. ‘Regardless who he is, I’m going to make him tell me about the game!’ ‘Maybe if you work your charms on him’ Jongdae jokes, however this lights a spark in Barkhyuns mind. ‘Yes! I’ll make him fall in love with me’ Baekhyun snaps his finger at the idea ‘That’s not what I meant’ squeals Jongdae.

 

For the next week, Baekhyun works extra diligently earning praises from all the programmers in hopes that news will get to Chanyeol and eventually he will ask him to help him or demo Monster trial however, that plan totally falls flat, he made his way up the 2nd floor countless times only to find Chanyeol leaving Yixings office twice and all he got was nod and small smile.

‘It’s not working’ sighs Baekhyun into his phone ‘I don’t know how to get him to notice me’. ‘Just talk to him, ask him a question about programming a new game’ Jongdae tries to find a solution for his worn out best friend. ‘I can’t ask him, if Kyungsoo finds out I’m doomed, I think I’m back to square one all over again’

The next day, a partly determined and partly beat down Baekhyun (mostly because he spent the night blowing off stream by gaming for 7 hours straight’ goes back up to the 2nd floor and knocks on Yixing door, ‘yes come in’ was the soft voice that answered his knocks. ‘Hello, I’m Byun Baekhyun from downstairs I know you don’t know me but I desperately need your help’ Yixing is stunned, and just stares at Baekhyun until he finally opens his mouth ‘Okay sure Byun Baekhyun, I’m Zhang Yixing I will be happy to help’ wow, Kyungsoo was right when he said he was gullible and not to dare take advantage of his kind nature. ‘Well’ Baekhyun looks at Yixing for a moment he looks timid, but has a certain mysterious y look about him but his eyes look so sleepy he can’t read this guy at all ‘Can you let me get Mr Park coffee today?’ Yixings eyes get a little wide then resumes its sleepiness, ‘Why would you I’m sorry Byun but Mr Park is really busy with an important game he doesn’t like new people going to his office’ ‘Please Yixing’ Baekhyun literally begs, he still can’t read this guys facial expression when he notices a small shiny necklace with an S hanging from his neck. Eureka! ‘Mr Zhang, do you have someone you hold dear to you?’ Baekhyun knows it’s a dirty move but he is desperate. ‘Well to be honest, I have secretly loved Chanyeol since my freshman year at college and I became an intern to pursue that love’ Baekhyun thanks the gods above that he took those extra acting lessons with Jongdae last year he looked so believable and glassy eyed. ‘That’s beautiful’ Yixing replies reaching in a draw to get a tissue to wipe his eyes, ‘He will want a black Americano at 1pm today, good luck Baekhyun!’ Was it that easy?

*12:57 pm* and Baekhyun is outside Chanyeol’s office door

Knock Knock

‘Come in’

Baekhyun goes in, and there Chanyeol is speed typing on that keypad, what could it be, is it the ending of the game or the middle or a secret hidden item. Baekhyun sets the coffee on Chanyeols desk and Chanyeol finally lifts his head out of his state of the art laptop and his large eyes get even bigger when he sees the curious man in front of him. ‘What are you doing here Baekhyun?’ Chanyeol asks while slamming his laptop shut. ‘Uhm Yixing had to, go to the bathroom so I offered to bring you your coffee’ Chanyeol suddenly relaxed abit from his previously tense state ‘Oh, well thank you, you can leave’ what? Baekhyun isn’t ready to leave now, not when the game is right there ‘Are you working on Monster trail?’ too late it already left his mouth ‘Yes, I am’ Chanyeol raises one eyebrow ‘why do you ask’ ‘I really loved Lucky One and I’m sure Monster Trial will be spectacular, I’m sure you heard of my gamer Alias Khyun’ Baekhyun knows he should stop talking but he’s taking the leap ‘I’m one of the best gamers in Seoul and I think it would really benefit the company if I played the demo and…’ ‘Get out’ Chanyeol interrupts ‘huh?’ Baekhyun thinks he misheard Chanyeol ‘I said get out, you are dismissed’  ‘Dismissed?’ Baekhyun repeats Chanyeols words much slower and softer. ‘It means you are fired, your services are no longer needed Mr Byun, please leave and close my door on the way out’.

From Baekhyunee :

‘Chanyeol fired me’

From Jongdae!! :

‘What the hell? Why?’

From Baekyunee:

‘I opened my big mouth Dae, :’( I asked him to let me demo the game and he saw right through me’

From Jongdae!! :

 ‘I’m sorry Baek’

Three weeks later, Baek gets a phone call from a dishevelled Jongdae ‘BYUN BAEKHYUN!! he is coming to campus! This is not a drill PARK CHANYEOL is coming to CAMPUS!!’ ‘Why? Baekhyun asks ‘Togivesomespeechidk ANYWAY DID YOU HEAR ME!! What are you gonna do?’ Jongdae asks back, ‘Nothing Dae, he is just my ex-boss that I met like two times’ ‘Don’t give me that crap Byun Baekhyun ever since you got fired you’ve been mopping about that game and Chanyeol and how you regret using that Yixing guy too, here’s your chance to be a man and apologize now get dressed and get here’ Jongdae hangs up and Baekhyun knows he’s right, he was so messed up for acting like that I mean he got a job just to play a game and lied to his co-workers along the way, he has to apologize to Chanyeol, he seemed so angry that day.

Chanyeol was on stage, saying a speech to the freshmen about dreams or something, Baekhyun didn’t really pay attention he was just staring at Chanyeol, he was wearing a grey suit, he always wore suits at work, and it suited his height so well. After the talk was over Baekhyun was able to catch Chanyeols attention where they met behind one of the classrooms where it was abit quieter. ‘Did you really have to stare at me the entire speech like I had something on my face Baekhyun’ Chanyeol mused while looking down at Baekhyun, he really is THAT tall. Slightly red after that casual statement had come from nowhere, Baekhyun swallowed his pride and started his apology he rehearsed in his head 100 times ‘Listen, Chanyeol uhm Mr Park I want to apologize, I know it was out of line to ask you about the game I know you worked hard on it and it has a release date for a reason I just love your work and I was too eager to play’ wow Baekhyun is really pouring his heart out here ‘I’m sorry that I tricked Yixing and I’m sorry I became an intern to get my hands on the game but I really did love working in your company’ Chanyeol’s voice became coarse ‘You’re kind of cute when you’re being sincere’ he pauses ‘but Kyungsoo and Yixing still need to hear an apology so be sure to come in early on Monday’ Baekhyun deadpan looks Chanyeol straight in the eyes thinking his ears have deceived him, Chanyeol chuckles and walks away back into the crowd of people that were dying to ask him questions.

Three days later…’Yixing I’m sorry I didn’t mean to lie to you, I was being selfish’ Baekhyun tries to reason with his soft co-worker ‘you deserve to be severely punished Byun’ yells Kyungsoo in the background ‘A double date’ Yixing says softy ‘I’ll forgive you, if you join me and my boyfriend on a double date to the fair’ ‘really? Sure I’ll tell my friend Jongdae right now’ ‘No, you have to ask the boss to come with you’ Baekhyuns jaw drops and all that’s heard is Kyungsoo’s menacing laugh in the background ‘That’s our Yixing alright’ ‘The Boss? Why him?’ Baekhyun tries to reason with his sleepy friend ‘Because you lied to me and involved love in the lie which is a terrible thing to do so now you face the consequenes’ ‘you need to stop hanging out with Kyungsoo!’ Baekhyun sighs it’s got to be done I guess, he actually doesn’t hate the idea he did want to get to know Chanyeol better.

Baekhyun goes to Chanyeols office, Chanyeol swings the door open a second after with his laptop bag in hand, looks like he’s leaving early. ‘Did I come at a bad time?’ ‘No it’s fine, what’s up? You’re not here to hold me at gun point and steal my laptop are you? ‘No I will wait until you are alone in the parking lot to do that Mr Park’ Chanyeol nervously laughs, still not sure if Baekhyun really is as harmless as he looks. ‘Are you busy on Friday?’ ‘Hmm just the usual work load, if you want me to help you with something I’ll be free during my break but it’s going to cost you an iced americano’ Chanyeol teases, he’s been quite playful lately or was he always this easy going, not like the boss of a super popular company who drives an expensive car and wears a watch that costs as much as Baekhyuns college tuition at all. ‘No, I meant after work? Like at night’ Baekhyun starts to get nervous why is it so difficult to just ask him out, I mean he did call Baekhyun cute, once. ‘Sorry Baekhyun, but if you are asking me to go out with you I’ll have to say no I don’t wish to get involved with my employees’ Chanyeols words weren’t bitter and it’s not like it was Baekhyuns idea to ask him out in the first place but getting turned down hurts, Baekhyun never got turned down he always turned people down, why is he getting upset that Chanyeol might not be interested in him. ‘Yeah, I told Yixing it was a bad idea’ Yes, of course to save embarrassment he has to throw the sweetheart Yixing under the bus, well it was his idea. ‘Yixing?’ Chanyeol looks strangely ‘Yup, it was my punishment for lying to him that I had the hots for you to get to bring you your coffee so he said I have to go on a double date with him and I had to ask you’ Baekhyun tries to sound as light-hearted as he can manage, like he didn’t just get shut down minutes earlier. ‘Okay, give me your phone’ ‘huh’ ‘Give me your phone so I can give you my number so you can tell me what time to pick you up on Friday’ how can Chanyeol smile after saying something so direct.

From: Park Chanyeol (Boss-man)

Hey, I’ll be there in 20 minutes, wear Black so we match :D

From: Baekhyun

Okay sure?

From: Park Chanyeol (Boss-man)

LOL I’m just kidding Byun

From: Baekhyun

Hahahaha me too Boss

(FYI, Baekhyun did not think it was a joke)