chapter two

Hey, Nosebleed?

Mingyu wakes up to a phone that’s obnoxiously blaring at him. He inwardly groans, scowling at the wall as he reaches for his phone. His fingers soon find the edge of his phone, so he rolls over to his side to fully retrieve it. Who the is calling him at, he squints at the time on the screen (which has the audacity to glare at him), 7 am?

That’s when he realises his phone’s not ringing, nor has the blaring stopped. He drops his phone onto his side, wondering whether it was any of his roommate’s alarms. Didn’t Seokmin say he had a test today?

“Shut your alarm Mingyu,” he hears Minghao whine from the other end of the room. It's not mine, Mingyu wants to yell back.The alarm’s definitely not Minghao’s. The older only groans in response, too lazy to fight back. Seokmin peers down from the top bunk, squinting at Mingyu. Well, it’s not Seokmin’s alarm either.

“Is the guy calling?” Seokmin sleepily asks, rubbing his right eye. The events that occurred last night refreshes itself in Mingyu’s memory. Well, . He rolls over to his front, wailing into the pillow in embarrassment. By the time he’s done being dramatic, Seokmin has climbed down from the top bunk, seized the phone and shut off the alarm.

“Hey, I think his friend sent a few texts- Oh,” the shorter begins when his eyes find the contents of the first message. “I think it’s him? He’s also asking whether you’re single?” A smile of amusement tugs on his lips, while Mingyu freezes. What?

Mingyu flips over quickly in shock. “What?” he incredulously asks, aloud this time. If he wasn’t alert before, he really is now. “He was really shy yesterday though. I don’t think he’s that bold to send such a text- it must be his friend,” he concludes. He ponders on it for a moment, recalling their interaction.

“The last text’s telling you to meet him at 11 am for breakfast though?” Seokmin reads out the last message, lips curling higher in amusement. He adds, “I don’t think he’s giving you a choice though.”

Mingyu scratches the side of his head- that really didn’t sound like nosebleed. Seokmin practically shoves the phone at Mingyu. The taller opens up the chat, reading through the thread:

you

hi, nosebleed’s friend? this is the guy who helped him out in the library and i kinda accidentally took his phone. can you call me back in the morning or something, so i can pass him back his phone?

idiot

hello mr library guy! :) glad we could get in touch. i was wondering if you were single?

idiot

this is nosebleed, btw ;)

idiot

... it’s been 15 mins :(

guess you’re asleep

meet at 11am for breakfast tmr then!!

i’ll call you at 10am tomorrow to confirm the location :-)

“Oh look,” Seokmin excitedly screeches from in front of him, “It might be him!” He’s pointing at the phone with so much enthusiasm, Mingyu feels dizzy watching him. Nosebleed’s phone is ringing with the contact, “ji-nie for you girl” displayed on its screen.

Mingyu snorts. Seokmin chuckles, “His sense of humour must be unique." Mingyu nods in agreement, with an amused smile. They seem to have woken Minghao up.

Minghao lets out a string of expletives at them as he walks over to them. The youngest male mumbles something along the line of the other two not being able to shut their mouths. “What am I friends with?” Minghao snarkily comments, “Yelling roosters?”

Seokmin bursts into a fit of laughter while Mingyu rolls his eyes, snatching the phone out of the older’s hands. It probably is nosebleed. He runs for the bathroom for privacy but neither of his friends bother to chase after him. It’s far too early to do that much exercise.

“Hi, sorry who is this?” Mingyu hurriedly answers the phone once he’s safely locked in the bathroom. Please be nosebleed.

“Hi,” the other end timidly greets him, in the deep baritone voice that first surprised Mingyu. (Pleasantly, of course.) He sighs in relief.

There’s a really awkward silence before nosebleed actually says something else. He clears his throat as he asks, “It’s the guy with the nosebleed from last night. Uh, can we meet today so I can retrieve my phone?”

Hah. Mingyu's right. It was his friend. “Yeah!” He cringes when his tone ends up being a little too enthusiastic when he replies the other.

There’s a light chuckle from nosebleed. Mingyu’s heart becomes a little soft from how warm it sounds. Nosebleed then asks, “Is 9am at Carat Cafe okay?”

Mingyu hums in agreement, not wanting to use his voice in case it couldn’t contain his excitement. There are a few beats of awkward silence again. Nosebleed clears his throat before breaking the silence (again.)

“I’m sorry if I woke you,” he sheepishly apologises. Mingyu laughs at the irony of the statement. Though he may not have woken him up with the call intentionally, he did wake him up because of that unintentional dumb alarm.

“It’s your alarm that woke me, actually,” Mingyu confesses. Fortunately for him, without any added enthusiasm that might embarrass him further. So much for being as smooth as yesterday.

“Oh,” nosebleed huffs, sounding annoyed at himself, “Sorry, I usually wake up to study at this time. Guess my body got used to it.” There’s a tiredness to his voice that makes Mingyu worry.

“Hey,” Mingyu softly says, “You looked really tired yesterday. You should probably give yourself a break.”

“I can’t, I’ve procrastinated too much,” Nosebleed replies regretfully.

“Just take your health into consideration, yeah? Eat proper meals, sleep enough, hydrate yourself!” Mingyu nags, hoping nosebleed’ll take his advice.

“Yes mom,” nosebleed chuckles slightly. At least Mingyu made him laugh- happiness always counts as something, no?

“See you at 9am later then.”

The phone call ends with Mingyu squealing in excitement.
 



Wonwoo tosses in his bed, wanting to go back to sleep. The time  6:45AM on the digital alarm clock located on top of the door glares at him. He probably does deserve sleep but his body clock is pretty much screwed.

Then again, he thinks, as he nervously bites on his lips. There's the mental schedule he had planned in his head for the week that was already ruined yesterday:

monday

  • write theory notes chapters 1-5
  • memorise lab notes

tuesday

  • review lab notes (last chance!)
  • write theory notes chapters 6-10

wednesday

  • review lab notes
  • lab test (1pm @ mercury labs)
  • write theory notes 11-15
  • bonus: completed chapter 16 too!

thursday

  • write theory notes 17-20
  • go through theory notes (1-5)

He didn’t manage to get past Chapter 2 yesterday. The 5 chapters he had to write for were unexpectedly quiet heavy in content. He was forcing himself by the end of Chapter 1. Guess he needed to start from the bottom.

That leaves:

friday

  • going through the entire thing :)

He groans when he remembers he had taken pictures of some additional notes on his phone for a few of the chapters. Meaning, he really needs his phone to start studying. Soonyoung, being the he is, didn’t share whatever information he had from the guy. He had told him, “Let’s go for breakfast at 11am” when he exited their room last night. That was it.

Wonwoo had only shrugged in agreement. Jihoon practically lunged at Soonyoung the moment he finished speaking. The latter had pulled Junhui along, yelling at the older male to protect him. They ended up not leaving Junhui and jihoon’s shared room, safely away from Jihoon.

Wonwoo had tugged Jihoon over to his room when his body starts to feel heavy as they waited for the door to open. “You can flirt with him tomorrow,” he told the shorter with a straight face. He immediately turned in before the other could even protest. There’s a light pink dusting the younger’s cheek.

He looks over at the lump on Soonyoung’s bed. He smiles softly when he sees Jihoon clutching onto Soonyoung’s Hinata (from Haikyuu) doll. The younger looked more than comfortable on Soonyoung’s bed. If this was two weeks ago, Wonwoo would probably be looking that comfortable in his bed too, sleeping past 10am. How ironic, he thinks.

He spots Jihoon’s phone beside the head pillow. He knows he shouldn’t be invading Jihoon’s privacy but he really did want his phone back. So he seizes the phone, unlocking it without having to think hard- he knows it’s Soonyoung’s birthday.

He retreats back to his side of the room, tucking himself in bed again. He buries himself under the covers, trying to get warm before he dials his phone.

“Hi, sorry who is this?” the good-looking stranger asks the moment he answers the phone. Wonwoo cringes, remembering the contact name he saved Jihoon as.

“Hi,” Wonwoo timidly greets him. , he curses, he didn’t plan this out. He thinks he hears a sigh of relief on the other end. Does the guy remember him?

There’s a long pause before Wonwoo finally forms a coherent sentence. He clears his throat as he asks, “It’s the guy with the nosebleed from last night. Uh, can we meet today so I can retrieve my phone?

“Yeah!” Is the enthusiastic reply from the other end.

Wonwoo chuckles a little at the enthusiasm, before asking, “Is 9am at Carat Cafe okay?” He assumes the hum from the guy is a hum of agreement. His mind blanks again. What to say next?   There are a few beats of awkward silence again. Right, his call probably woke the poor guy up. He clears his throat before breaking the silence again.

“I’m sorry if I woke you,” he sheepishly apologises. That sounded very awkward, .

The guy seems to find the statement funny as he brightly laughs. His laugh is really cute, gah. “It’s your alarm that woke me, actually,” the guy confesses.

Wonwoo probably ruined his beauty sleep system or something. He huffs, “Oh. Sorry, I usually wake up to study at this time. Guess my body got used to it.” He shrugs. He’ll get his sleep back sooner or later.

“Hey,”  the other softly replies, “You looked really tired yesterday. You should probably give yourself a break.” Wonwoo really wishes he could do so.

“I can’t, I’ve procrastinated too much,” He replies, blaming himself for being addicted to games in the first place. (Damn you, Dungreed!)

“Just take your health into consideration, yeah? Eat proper meals, sleep enough, hydrate yourself!” the library guy nags. Wonwoo finds it endearing- how they're pretty much still strangers yet he’s caring so much for Wonwoo.

“Yes mom,” Wonwoo chuckles slightly as he replies.

“See you at 9am later then,” the guy says. With that, the call screen fades away.


Mingyu chokes a little on air when he sees nosebleed walking from the entrance. He looks extremely small in the knitted oversized sweater he’s wearing. He also looks like he’s heading to a funeral. Mingyu mentally slaps himself, telling himself to stay in focus.

“Hey nosebleed,” Mingyu nervously waves the other over. Nosebleed looks sheepish as he walks over. Mingyu realises he might have called him over a little too loudly. Unfortunately for them, there’s a lot of students (who look like they’ve been pulling all-nighters in the cafe) who send glares their way. Someone from the counter snorts. Mingyu recognises the barista as Seungkwan, one of Seokmin’s friends. Nosebleed seems to know Seungkwan too, he’s practically shooting glares at the younger. Seungkwan’s rolling his eyes, smirking slightly as he starts typing on his phone.

Nosebleed’s phone pings. Before Mingyu can even look at the notification, nosebleed has already snatched the phone away. Woah, he’s fast. The shorter’s flushing slightly as he taps on his phone. When he looks up, his eyes interlock with Mingyu’s. It sends shivers down Mingyu’s spine. His eyes are beauti-

The shorter’s stomach growls loudly, interrupting their awkward staring session. There are more annoyed glances sent their way, following nother snort from Seungkwan. “What do you want for breakfast? Consider it my treat,” Mingyu offers, smiling in amusement.

“No,” nosebleed replies, shaking his head furiously, “It’s alright, I’ll buy my own food. Let me treat you instead?”

“I offered first,” Mingyu pouts, making direct eye contact with him again. He avoids the eye-contact, playing with the hems of his sleeves. His sweater paws are cute, Mingyu grins.

The shorter huffs, “Okay. Let me at least help you order?” Mingyu nods in agreement, bouncing off his seat. The shorter seems to sways for a moment when he gets up from the seat. Mingyu easily wraps an arm around his waist to steady him, like the previous day. He steadily leads nosebleed back to the seat. He really needs to take care of himself.

“We have got to stop meeting like this,” nosebleed sighs in embarrassment, once he feels less dizzy. A faint blush is starting to creep onto his cheeks. Mingyu only smiles at him fondly, forgetting his initial desires of berating the older about the importance of health. (There's a loud click and a faint ping heard in the background.)

“Maybe I’m your guardian or something?” Mingyu answers, humming, “What do you think, nosebleed?”

“Hey!,” he mumbles, “My name’s Wonwoo. You can stop calling me nosebleed, now.”

“I like nosebleed better though?”

Nosebleed- I mean Wonwoo! No wait, I’m here for Mingyu!” Seokmin yells from the entrance of the cafe, jogging towards them. More dirty looks are sent their way from the other customers. “ Oh? You already met each other?”

There’s two other boys trailing behind Seokmin. Minghao seems to be talking in extremely fast Mandarin with another Chinese male. Mingyu is very confused. Wonwoo’s about to say something when Seungkwan royally interrupts it.

“Aw!” Seungkwan (read: the drama queen) coos, “Did you all come to visit me at work?”

 

 

 

A/N:

gah!!!!! booseoksoon debuted ermagard!!

don't forget to stream here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGXiVHTy0JE

if y'all want a crack/fangirl ver click here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14_qLMczleU&t=1s

ok luv y'all <3