Angel

Giving you the world

Later on I found out from Myungsoo that they actually are step-siblings. Sunggyu’s biological mom died after giving birth to her treasure, which Mr. Kim prefers to refer it as a curse instead.

I start to see how the dots connect to each other, that is probably the reason why he despised his own blood aside from a cliché matter of pride. And I have always doubted that they are real siblings- they might both have this ethereal beauty radiating from them. Yet there are too many differences between them, which you don’t usually find between siblings.

There are not many pictures of Sunggyu as a child, aside from the fact that the hospital doesn’t have any access to it, Myungsoo said they rarely have Sunggyu in any family photo shoot. That crazy old guy sure is being too much. But there is this picture of Sunggyu with a lady, when he was around 10 or 11 years old- I’m just guessing from the way it looks like- that he always keep under his pillow. Sometimes I caught him talking to the lady in that picture, calling her ‘Mommy’ as he re-tells his day animatedly.

Apparently the lady in that picture is not his deceased mom; of course it would be quite creepy if that was her. She was his caretaker that raised him as if he was her real son, ever since his family found out about his peculiarity. Myungsoo said back then, that lady is the only one who interacts with Sunggyu on daily basis and accompany him day by day, even Myungsoo himself only found out that Sunggyu is his step brother when he was old enough to understand that it is too weird to have a stranger living in his house. Sunggyu’s dad marry Myungsoo’s mom when Myungsoo was still an infant, at that time Sunggyu would be in his toddler age, and it seems that both parents agree that Sunggyu would just be a burden and nuisance in Myungsoo’s perfectly planned future, so they weren’t allowed to mingle much.

I can’t believe there are such cruel adults that have the heart to treat a little kid that way. Myungsoo realized his past mistake of not making any advance to approach his brother when Sunggyu look at him as if he is no more than a stranger to him on his first visit, can’t really blame him since as the next in line for the enormous company; his schedule is packed to the gills. And since then he made sure to spare his times for a weekly visit, sometimes several times a week, to ensure that his brother knows that he is still loved by his family, although he is the only one who provides all the love. But anything that is sincere worth a lot more than it actually is right?

Sadly, Sunggyu’s caretaker died a few years ago, and since then there has not been any single new caretaker that manage to handle him, hence his father decides that it is best to ‘get rid’ of him. The only reason why they put Sunggyu in this hospital instead of an asylum is because they have an image to take care of. The media are not aware of the eldest son’s psychological problem, they only know that he is not in a good state of health and shall not be bothered. With the sum of money his family have, I’m not surprised if they actually bribed those who find out the truth so that their little secret will be off the record.

I actually don’t really give a damn about their secrets, since me, myself, also hold a secret that the world must not know.

Sometimes I wonder how it would feel to live a life free of thoughts, especially prejudice. I used to believe that such person wouldn’t exist, until I meet my little angel. Patient of room 428.

Some patients are allowed to go around within the perimeter of the hospital, under supervision of the nurses or guards. I totally have no objections to follow Sunggyu around as he spread his smiles around, not always toward a person, sometimes a bird, cats, and even a fallen tree branch. The paediatrician ward is absolutely his favourite though.

Some children look at him weirdly, don’t ask about the adults. Among those who have too little compassion and understanding, there are more than enough who appreciate his presence. Friends, that’s how he address them.

-oOo-

“Hyunnie, watch movie with gyugyu??”

“What do you mean Mr. Kim??”

“Oh the kids are having a movie date in the paediatrician ward today Woohyun-ssi, I’m pretty sure nurse Lee stopped by yesterday to tell Sunggyu about this.”

Nurse Baek replied instead as we walk past the nurse station, Sunggyu nod his head enthusiastically before he starts to wander off on his own. It appears that he somehow found someone’s LED shoes appealing and start to follow that person, or should I say the shoes. I don’t need to run to catch up to him, as a part of the consequence of his illness, he does lack in motoric skills compared to people his age. But that doesn’t make me put my guard down, I still think it is best to hold his hand at times like this. After all, it fits perfectly in mine.

-oOo-

Both of them arrived in the play room not long after, hand in hand. A kid immediately run off to him once the two enter the room. Followed by a warm welcome from Nurse Lee and shouts from some other kids about how they almost start the movie without Sunggyu since he is late.

“Gyugyu, sit with me!”

“But hyunnie?”

“It’s alright Mr. Kim, go enjoy the movie, I have some stuff to catch up with Nurse Lee.”

Sunggyu smiles at Woohyun before he walks toward the bean bags provided as the chairs, he argues with Bomin about why their bean bags are of different colours but immediately put it off once the movie starts.

Nurse Lee is one of Woohyun’s good friends. He was one of not many who doesn’t judge Woohyun’s attraction towards his special patient and simply see them as two people who happen to understand and connect with each other in a way ordinary people wouldn’t understand.

Therefore he also understands that Woohyun’s eyes linger on someone else when they talk softly during the movie. That Woohyun would smile a little too bright and laugh a little too merrily when he talks about Sunggyu. And that ‘gyugyu’ and ‘hyunnie’ goes well in one sentence, especially when Sunggyu is talking about Woohyun on days where the nurse takes his absent. Which you can count with your fingers in one hand. Seriously, that guy needs to stop being a workaholic- or a possessive ‘nurse’ to be exact.

A/N: it sure is a little too long for a drabble- please pardon me this time since I have to squeeze in some background information in this chapter teehee. I'm happy many of you like the idea of the story~~ smooches and huggles for those who subscribed, commented, and upvoted!! hope to hear your thoughts about this chapter too!