Brother's Day Out!

Giving you the world

-At the psychiatric ward-

I finished my night shift as quickly as I can, since I have to look decent this morning. It's now 4.00 in the morning, I guess I can use some time to nap and refresh myself before six. I walk towards the resident rooms, a senior I know is kind enough to lend me his bed from time to time. My lips curled upwards as I imagine how fluffy the pillow will feel beneath me, bed sweet bed.

I entered the room quietly since it is currently occupied; I take off my scrubs and change into a more comfortable t-shirt I always keep in my bag, getting ready to dive into dream land. But before that I set my alarm to ring at 6, I can't make my angel wait right. Just as I'm about to drift to sleep, the door to this room is opened harshly, can't really register what Nurse Baek said but I am 99,9% sure it's nothing good.

-At the Kim’s penthouse-

"Mr. Kim, it's time to wake up, your first appointment starts in 1 hour."

No response.

"Mr. Kim, you clearly told me to do anything to wake you up, since today's appointment is very important. I will not hesitate to comply with your order."

The bundle of human rolled in fluffy blanket shifted a bit, trying to avoid the sun ray that is blaring at him since his butler had purposefully pull all curtain away.

"Mr. Sunggyu will surely sulk if you are late."

That does the magic, the handsome man starts to show sign of living, blinking his eyes tiredly. He slept late last night since he was too excited for today's outing.  Going through his plan for the day for more than 5 times, and keep on changing the clothes he picked up to wear today are the main reason as to why his sleeping time is reduced.

Today the three of them, Myungsoo, Sunggyu, and Woohyun will go on an outing for the first time in a while, Sunggyu was not allowed to go out before since his emotional state when he was first administered to the hospital was far from stable, like one of a 3 years old kid but in a more extreme way. The fact that he has an over-protective nurse in charge of him doesn't make it any easier; if anyone is stricter than the doctor then it is him. At first he despised Nurse Nam since he seemed too close to his hyung, the two were walking hand in hand when Myungsoo first come to visit his brother.

Then he comes to realisation that the unexplained discomfort he felt was actually jealousy. He was jealous at the fact that his brother seems so comfortable around the said nurse. Myungsoo never got that close to his brother even if they are practically siblings, although not biologically.

At first his interest starts off as a mere curiosity, some of his friends got siblings too. And sometimes he observed how they interact, for example when his friend forgot his lunch box, his noona would come and give it to him as she nagged at him. Or another friend who has a younger brother who always bragged about how they were playing soccer together or simply going crazy at pc bang.

That curiosity led him to learn the bitter truth about how he and Sunggyu could never do what other siblings do, maybe they could try but deep down he knows it will not be the same let alone possible. He admits that he felt pity for his brother, yet when he saw that bright smile bloomed on Sunggyu’s face whenever Shin Ahjumma gave him the largest piece of pudding, he felt that he was so stupid to pity him. Sunggyu was as happy as any other person could be and pity was and is obviously not what he needed nor needs.

He glances at the clock on the opposite side of the wall after he finished a quick morning shower, the cold water successfully bring his remnants from dream land back. Good, it seems that he might have to grab his breakfast on his way to hospital since he doesn’t need to deal with sulky Sunggyu as early as they start their day together.

-oOo-

He greeted the hospital staffs as he makes his way to his brother’s room. As he is about to knock on it and invite himself in, he can hear a familiar whine.

“Hyunnie liar! Hyunnie said today we go see fishies!”

“Mr. Kim, I am so sorry but I also can’t help it. New patients are coming and we need more people here.”

“But Hyunnie promised... Gyu have been a good boy, Hyunnie said if Gyu doesn’t cause trouble we will go see fishies.”

He must have an extremely good sense to come in right at the moment when Woohyun replied,

You can go with Myungsoo, he will accompany you to go there. Oh, there he is.”

Sunggyu immediately ‘run’ to him, clutching the front of his shirt as he puffs his cheeks, scowl is clear on his face as he grumble out his dissatisfaction. The first thing he noticed is the way Sunggyu look so cute in a red hoodie that he bought for him. And the second one is how Woohyun look so dishevelled, with guilt filling his eyes, correct him if he is wrong but he also can see anger there.

He stares at Woohyun as if asking him to explain what happened and the nurse muttered softly as he break the news to him,

“An asylum caught on fire last night, fortunately there is no serious casualties, but the injured patients and staffs need to be treated and this hospital is the nearest to their location, hence we have been overwhelmed with the sudden increase of patients as we are currently understaffed with 2 nurses taking maternity leave.”

Ah, that explains the guilty look and Sunggyu’s whining to him, after processing for a while, realisation dawned on him and panic fills in instead.

“B-but, how can we go without you- I mean, I’m not skilled in medical emergencies, what if hyung suddenly get a panic attack, what if-“

Woohyun looks troubled for a while before he flashes an encouraging smile at the rambling boy,

“I’m sure your brother will be fine under your care, you wouldn’t want to break his heart by cancelling this outing right?”

As if on cue, Sunggyu resumes his whine about how ‘Myungie is a lot better than Hyunnie.’ And ‘Gyugyu will go have fun with Myungie, no need Hyunnie.’

-oOo-

That is how the two siblings end up standing in line near the entrance to sea world, Sunggyu whips his head to all people standing in close proximity to them, greeting them with his brightest smile, some replied in the same manner, while some smiled with confusion in their eyes. Myungsoo makes a mental note to never let his brother’s hand go, who knows when he would wander off on his own. After getting their tickets checked, the two finally enter the place.

Gigantic aquarium greets them first thing first, showing colourful sea creatures, roaming freely in its confinement. For one second Myungsoo feels that the curiosity in the fishes eyes match his hyung’s. Sunggyu immediately plaster his face on the aquarium glass and starts to call the creatures inside with random names, as if meeting old friends.

Myungie, fishies a lot! Do you think fishies are hungry? Are they happy?”

“I’m sure the workers here give them food already hyung, it’s past breakfast time already. And yes they are-his hyung intervened before he even manage to finish his sentence.

Are they happy to meet Gyu and Myungie?”

Myungsoo smiled genuinely at that question and nod his head reassuringly.

Very.”
 

They visited some in-wall-installed aquariums, and an open pond with stingrays inside. The attraction allows them to pet the stingray and Sunggyu doesn’t need to be told twice to do so. However after he played with the stingrays for a while, he came back with a solemn look on his face.

When Myungsoo asked about it, he replied that one stingray looked like Hyunnie, he feels sad because Hyunnie is not there with them to meet fishies. He can feel a familiar feeling tugging at his heart for a second, before putting it aside since jealousy is completely unnecessary at that moment.

To lighten his hyung’s mood up, he suggests that they go visit the sea-tunnel. There, visitors can experience the feeling of swimming with large sea creatures such as sharks and giant octopuses. Sunggyu knocks on the glass whenever a fish pass by, pouting if the fish just swim passing him and not coming his way, but that doesn’t last long as another fish will soon catch his attention.

He can’t help smiling along with Sunggyu, he never knew a sea world could be this interesting. Time passes by quickly when you enjoy yourself, that is exactly what happened to the Kim-bros. Sunggyu was waving excitedly at bailey the beluga before he exclaim that he is hungry. Myungsoo glanced at the clock on his phone screen and realise that it’s way past lunch time already.

Fortunately it’s not hard to find the indoor restaurant; he ordered food for him and his brother, carefully checking Sunggyu’s diet notes first before finishing his order. Both of them find a table to sit at and wait patiently for their food to come.

Myungie did you get pudding??”

Yes hyung! I got you fried rice too, I told the waiter to not give the pudding out before you finish your fried rice, so you will have to finish your meal eum?”

Sunggyu nodded his head in compliance, happily humming random tunes. He is more than sure that his hyung has a voice as beautiful as he looks. Even though he never really hear him sing, but the elder often hums to music whenever there is one, or in random just to chase his boredom away. The late-lunch went by quickly, without any major hassle. Although he ends up buying an extra pudding for his brother since Sunggyu accidentally drop the pudding when he was holding it. The scene that unfolds surely make Myungsoo love his dear hyung more, even with shaking eyes and trembling hands, he still hold on his spoon tightly, biting on his lower lips, keeping his sobs from slipping out from his cherry lips. Myungsoo doesn’t even hesitate to go and buy a brand new pudding for him, he understands that his brother must have hate himself so much for dropping his precious treat, but Myungsoo is there to remind him that he is not alone, that Myungsoo will be there to ensure that his smile stays on his lips, even if that means filling his brother’s world with pudding.

The smile on Sunggyu’s face after he comes back with a new pudding in his hand is priceless, he keeps on chanting ‘gomawo myungie’ as he enjoy the sweet treat.

‘No hyung, I should be the one saying thank you. You make me realise there is much more in this world aside from work, money and dignity.’

-oOo-

Woohyun is so ready to nag when the two come back from their little adventure, he’s been trying to reach Myungsoo’s phone but it always end up in voice mail. He is about to start an hour lecture about ‘how to utilise your phone while you have one’ when Myungsoo finally appear at the hospital’s lobby. But stop it right away when a brown mop of hair comes to his field of view and he can feel his favourite warmth crashing onto his strong arms. And there goes the chirpy voice of his angel filling in his ordinary evening. He assure himself that he can save the nagging for next time and listen to his patient’s story instead.

 

A.N: i should not be writing this story only but- anyway, I'm not trying to apply theme here, even if myunggyu is my second favorite ship. let's  just say myungsoo has some sort of a brother-complex~ I'm inspired to write this chapter when I saw bailey's picture, anyone who hates on whale shall fight me!! kidding.

do leave your thoughts below lovelies, and thank you very much for subsribing, upvoting and leaving your comments~!

p.s. if you have prompts or request(s) that are still in the premise of this fic, do tell me~! who knows I might write one from it teehee