Cocoon

Giving you the world

I’ve been working in the psychiatric department for more than 5 months now. Getting weird stares and shouted at for nothing is my daily feed, they no longer surprise me like when I first encounter such peculiarity. I cursed my luck when  I found out that they placed me in the ‘looney’ department since I was absent during the monthly rotation, yet now I always find 1001 reasons as to why I am perfectly suited for this department and maintain my ‘permanent’ position here.

And the very reason to my persistence is now sitting near the window sill, looking at his new-found toy, a cocoon that accidentally chooses the tree right outside his window as a place for a change. He insisted that the cocoon must be lonely to be kept hidden inside its self-made confinement, hence he volunteered to be the cocoon’s friend until it is ready to spread its wings and be one of his favorite butterflies.

Your breakfast is here, Mr. Kim.” I pushed his tray of food inside his private room but he just ignores me and continue his morning ‘greeting’ for the cocoon.

I tap his shoulder to emphasize my presence and once again inform him that his food has arrived.

Gyugyu doesn’t want eat. No pudding Gyugyu said Gyugyu wants pudding!”

Oh, turns out he really ignored me on purpose. He has been throwing tantrums recently since his diet changes, the doctor in charge said that he needs to reduce his sugar intake and start eating ‘real’ food. A promise to give him pudding is what kept him from starving himself, but I guess that will not work anymore starting today.

-oOo-

 Woohyun tries to find a way to get his patient to eat his food. First and foremost, this patient is a class one, and the one and only ‘high profile’ patient that is entrusted under his care. As an intern it is just right for him to make sure that he will not screw up with this patient or he might lose his yet-to-attain position in this hospital. Second supporting reason is that he adores the man more than he should have, hence he will make sure that his authority over the patient is not taken away.

But this sandwich is filled with your favorite strawberry jam~” the nurse singsong as he picks up the plate to give the man a clearer view of the red jam stuffed in between the bread slices.

The man blinked twice, as if contemplating his decision, before shaking his head violently,

“No! Hyun promised, pudding not sandwich!” Woohyun sighed in defeat before he raises his pinkie and make his last offer.

“Pudding will be served on your tray tonight Mr Kim, only if you finish your breakfast and lunch like a good boy.” He immediately hook his pinkie around the nurse’s, smiling his innocent smile that often mislead people into thinking that he is in his teenage years, while in fact he is in his mid-twenties.

Pinkie promise! Gyugyu will eat!” Woohyun is now planning the most efficient way to smuggle pudding into his favorite patient’s tray tonight, his train of thoughts is cut off when he looks at how the strawberry jams mostly end at his patient’s cheeks rather than his mouth. Staining the white fluffy cheeks with pinkish red, woohyun resists the urge to squish those cheeks with all his mights.

-oOo-

The patient name is Kim Sunggyu, the first son of the Kim group, who are the tycoon in Korea’s automotive industry. Sadly his family made it clear or at least his father did, of how he is a disgrace to the Kim family, that his existence is a mere defect in the Kim’s blood line. I can’t be more relieved of the fact that he is too busy in his own world of unicorns and rainbow to care about how his parents rarely visit him, and only his brother Myungsoo occasionally come to check on him. We become friends as the actually shy boy is curious as to why I manage to get his brother’s attention, that he has always longed to get. Since the moment he approached me, I can breathe in relief, at least he still got a family who sincerely care and love him.

I am currently organizing the patient’s record according to wards and check in dates since Dr. Jang asked me to do so, when I see a blur of brunette hair flashing before me and suddenly I’m on my way to room 428, the only VIP room on this floor.

“Butterfly coming out! Butterfly meet gyugyu!” apparently the cocoon cracked and a hole can be seen, showing the folded tiny wrinkly wings of the butterfly, which soon burst the shell open, revealing its form after metamorphosis. We waited patiently as the tiny little beauty spread its wings and making it stronger, reflecting the beautiful hues of blue upon exposure to sunlight. He looks at it fondly, admiring his favorite thing in the world.

As I also do the same,

looking at him fondly,

admiring my favorite beauty in the world.

 

 

A/N: I'm not sure whether I should mention the type of illness since I have no sufficient knowledge in mental disorder(s). But to make it clear, sunggyu is suffering from asive developmental disorder (PDD)