A K.O. by So Min

What Matters Most

The silence in the car was so thick and gummy, you could almost slice it. They kept their silence as they arrived at their building, got in the elevator, and proceeded to their units that were right beside each other. Their parents insisted they live here for security reasons, they are, after all, the two wealthiest heirs in Korea.

The two had no choice but they knew the security issue was not the main reason their parents had for forcing them to live near each other. There's actually another more important reason but So Min doesn't know about it. The two grew up together. Their parents have been the best of friends since they all went to study in the same university in America. They've been neighbors ever since they could remember. So Min and Hyun Joong have been best friends since middle school and started dating just before they left to study in America. They even lived together when they went to London to take their MBA. Everyone believed they will end up marrying each other.

But that was not meant to be. After almost 9 years together they had a very ugly parting of ways two years ago. Unfortunately, their parents never recovered from their break-up and are still dreaming of seeing them happily married someday. So they've resorted to all sorts of schemes just to make sure they're never a mile away from each other most of the time.

One of these schemes is forcing them to work together, although Hyun Joong’s Dad was able to come up with a valid reason. Hyun Joong is quite brilliant but just like any human being he also makes mistakes and he can also be very stubborn. His Dad knows he needs someone who can tell him off when necessary, someone brilliant and one who won’t give a damn about him being the sole heir to the company. And that person is no other than So Min.

They kept their silence even while on the elevator to get to their twin penthouse suites. So Min went straight to the bathroom and showered off the madness of the afternoon from her tired body. She tried her best to erase Hyun Joong from her mind with every drop of water that touched her skin.

On the other side of the penthouse, Hyun Joong decided to drown his anger in a bottle of rum. He always gets too riled up whenever his parents try to bring up his relationship with So Min. No matter how hard he tries to explain to them that he's really over her his parents still believe that he is still in love with her. He's had other relationships since he broke up with her but none of them were serious, besides his Mom never approved of any of the girls he's introduced to her. Worst, she even threatened to strip him of his inheritance if he ends up marrying someone she doesn't like. No matter what he does he can never seem to escape So Min and their past.

He got up from the bar stool and with determined steps made his way out and went straight to violently knock on So Min's door. "So Min let me in, we have to talk!" So Min was busy putting on her night cream when she heard Hyun Joong banging on her door, she knew it was him because no one else has access to that floor. So Min opened the door, "what is it that you want this time, can't you leave me in peace even for a while?!" "We have to talk," he said, while shoving and walking past her. "You're drunk! You shouldn't be here!" "I said we need to talk! Now sit down and let's get this over and done with. We both don't want to marry each other but we've got parents who will do everything in their power to make sure that we do. So I have a plan. With this plan I'm certain they'll stop bothering us."

"And what is this brilliant plan of yours this time?" So Min asked condescendingly. She knew him well enough to know that he only comes up with silly ideas whenever he's drunk like this. Hyun Joong, the astute and wise businessman disappears whenever he gets a whiff of alcohol in his system. He also becomes really stubborn, there's no other way but to listen to what he has to say, then and only then will he shut up and give in to his stupor. He also doesn't remember any of it the following day.

"It's actually simple, easy in fact...you just need to get pregnant. Find some random guy and ask him to get you pregnant then leave you, and all would be well. My parents will be too shocked to find out you're a , while yours will be too embarrassed to ask me to marry you! Brilliant, right?" Hyun Joong chuckled, unaware that he is about to fall asleep with the uppercut that So Min's about to give him. So Min hit him so hard he was instantly knocked out. He ended up unconscious on the sofa, literally not knowing what hit him.