A Detour & A U-Turn

What Matters Most

So Min went back to her area after talking to her Dad. Hyun Joong sensed that she was in no mood to talk so he just let her be. It was almost 7pm when Hyun Joong knocked on So Min's door before entering and seeing So Min still busy with work. "I know you don't want to talk about it yet but we have to. Let's have dinner and talk," he said. "I'm busy right now, just go ahead. Let's talk some other time," she replied without looking up.

He was slowly losing his patience. He turned her computer around so she would be forced to look at him. "If you don't want to talk then fine! But you have to eat at least! Don't you know yourself well enough? The longer you refuse to face this situation the harder it will be for you. Now's not the time for you to have another nervous breakdown. Please, So Min, don't lose it now!"

"Do you think I want that to happen?! Do you think it's easy for me?? YOU HAVE NO FREAKIN' IDEA SO JUST SHUT UP!" So Min was shaking as she screamed her lungs out. Hyun Joong did not show it but he was alarmed by So Min's outburst. He knew he had to do something to prevent So Min from having another emotional breakdown this soon. In one swift motion he hugged So Min and assured her that everything will be okay. "It's okay, we're in this together. Everything will be fine, just trust me. I just don't want you to suffer because of this. Let's just go and have dinner."

By now So Min has been sobbing and shaking uncontrollably as she held him tight. Unknown to most people, Jung So Min is not as strong as her public image projects. She is emotionally very fragile because she had the misfortune of seeing her Grandma die in a car accident when she was only 6 years old. Since then her parents and everyone around her--Hyun Joong included, have been trying their best to shield her from all kinds of emotional stress.

In fact, while she was talking privately with her Dad this afternoon, Hyun Joong's Dad was reminding him of So Min's condition. "You have to help her cope with this. It's your responsibility, she's going to be your wife now," his Dad said. "It's ok, I'll do whatever you ask me to do just to make this marriage as stress and pain-free for you as possible," he reassured her.

So Min just nodded her head and followed Hyun Joong out of the office. He won't let her drive in her condition so she had no choice but to ride with him. He took her to her favorite restaurant and ordered her favorite dishes. They ate in silence. After eating So Min complained of being very weak he had to almost carry her out of there. When they got to So Min's place, she literally fell on the bed. Tears were running down her cheeks and she seemed lost, not paying any attention to Hyun Joong or her surroundings.

Hyun Joong moved her to a comfortable position and slowly removed her clothes. He then proceeded to her closet and got a pair of pajamas which he carefully put on her. Even after they break-up and despite their endless bickering the two still look out for each other. Even without saying it, both know in their hearts that they will always be there for each other. "Try to sleep, okay? Don't think. Call me if you need anything, okay?" Hyun Joong siad as he stepped towards the door.

"Hyun Joong? Can you stay here with me tonight? I'm so scared," So Min pleaded, her voice shaking. She could feel her anxiety riding her spine all the way from her hips to her nape. She was literally shivering in fear. "Ok, I'll sleep here tonight, I'll just go and change. I'll be back." About ten minutes later he came back wearing pajamas. He approached the bed and laid beside So Min, who was lying down in a fetal position. He gathered her in his arms and gently placed her head on his chest. Soon, they were sleeping peacefully, like nothing unusual happened.

So Min woke up with a slight headache from crying the night before. She saw a note from Hyun Joong on her bedside table telling her she doesn't need to go to work and that she should just stay at home and rest. However, she felt that she would be even more depressed if she stayed home so she decided to just go to the office. Hyun Joong was surprised when he saw So Min inside the conference room. He was about to react to her presence but she ignored him and proceeded to start the meeting.

Soon after, the two started arguing and bickering over the matters that were being discussed. The others in the room knew well enough not to interfere. They just let them be, the two are brilliant when it comes to business and whoever wins out in their discussions was sure to have come up with the best solution or idea. He followed her to her room as soon as the meeting was over.

"Why did you come to work? Shouldn't you be resting?" "It's better to work than to think of the tragedy that's about to happen to me!" "What tragedy are you talking about? I thought you’ve already agreed to this." He asked confused and a little anxious. "My imminent marriage to you! What other tragedy can be worse than that?!" She was starting to get really annoyed by his presence.

"Do you really hate me that much? Do you want to call this whole thing off?" So Min looked at him, mindful of the pain evident in his voice. But she was just too caught up in her emotions. “Yes, if I could I would call this whole thing off! Haven’t you caused me enough pain? And now I’m going to marry you? This is just so unfair!” The look on So Min’s face as she said that told him that she’d rather go to hell than marry him. This really hurt his ego and his heart.

"I'll call my Dad now and tell him it's off!" Hyun Joong said this as he pressed his Dad's number. "Dad, I'm sorry, So Min and I can't do it. We can't get married for the sake of our companies. I don't care if you disinherit me now. I'm also resigning and moving to America, so better find a replacement for me." Hyun Joong turned off his phone before his Dad could reply and walked out of So Min's office. "I hope you're happy now," he said before banging the door close.

So Min just stood there, frozen. She was too shocked to know how to react. She has seen him mad many times before, but this time it is different. She has never seen him like this.

Her phone started ringing. It was her Mom. "So Min, what did you do? I thought you and Hyun Joong have already decided to get married? Why are you two so selfish? His Dad just fainted and is now being rushed to the hospital! How could you two do this?!!! Her Mom was hysterical. This rattled So Min back to her senses. She started running towards the parking lot. She drove to the hospital as fast as she could. There she met his Mom and her parents.

Apparently, his Dad suffered a and is now in critical condition. "Mom, I'm so sorry, this is all my fault!" She said crying as she hugged his Mom. Then she realized that Hyun Joong was missing "Where is Hyun Joong?" "We have not been able to contact him since he called his Dad. He's turned off his phone," his Mom explained, still sobbing.

"So Min, can't the two of you do this for us? Can't you see how much trouble you're causing just because of your selfishness?!" It was her Mom's turn to get mad now. She was clearly disappointed and angry. "I'm really sorry Mom, I don't know what to say. I'll go and look for Hyun Joong and bring him here." So Min had an idea where he could be right now. He would often drown his sorrows in alcohol at his friend's private club somewhere just outside of Seoul. When she got there she saw Hyun Joong sitting in one corner drinking rum.

"What are you doing here? I thought you hated my face? Why are you following me?!" A very drunk Hyun Joong asked So Min. "Your father needs you right now, you have to sober up! Let's go, we need to see him now," So Min said while trying to drag him from the table. "I don't care about my Dad. I don't care about you!!!! JUST LEAVE ME ALONE!!!!" He pushed her away and limped back to his seat.

So Min charged forward and did what was left to do. She punched him so hard he immediately lost consciousness. "Sorry about that," she sheepishly told his stunned friend. "Can you help get him into my car, he needs to be at the hospital his Dad is in critical condition. And please don't tell anyone." Hyun Joong's friend nodded and asked his staff to carry the still unconscious Hyun Joong to So Min's car.

They were halfway to the hospital when Hyun Joong regained consciousness. He started feeling a familiar pain on his left jaw as soon as he realized he was in her car. He touched it and then he snapped. "YAH!! Why did you hit me?! And why am I here? Are you kidnapping me?!! Aren't you done messing with me?!" "Will you shut up and stop moving, I'm trying to drive here. I'll tell you everything once we get to our destination," an annoyed So Min explained. "STOP the car now, I'm getting off. I don't want to have anything more to do with you," he demanded, still obviously drunk. But So Min ignored him and continued driving.

"I SAID STOP DRIVING!!!!!"

So Min stepped so hard on the brakes she almost got thrown out of her seat. "Your Dad suffered a !!! He's in the hospital now! He needs you there!" So Min's words hit Hyun Joong like lightning. "What did you say?" He asked. “Your Dad had a , we need to go to the hospital now,” So Min said while trying to stifle her sobs. Hyun Joong was too shocked to react and control his tears that were now flowing freely down his cheeks. He did not speak for the rest of the ride to the hospital.

He jumped out of the car as soon as they got to the hospital. His Mom slapped him upon seeing him. “This happened because of you! If not for your selfishness your Dad won’t end up like this!” His Mom was inconsolable. So Min’s Mom led her inside the waiting room and tried to comfort her.