The Beast Awakens

Mission Impossible: Seducing the Rival [working title]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

6 years ago, Sixth Grade in Primary School

 

It was just another ordinary day for Kim Sunggyu. He could feel the admiration the student body is throwing at him as he walked along the corridors of their academy. He smiled smugly to himself as he bathe himself in their never-ending admiration.

This is the evidence of him being above the student body. He is well-respected among the students ever since he first stepped into the academy until now.
 He is the heir of Kim Conglomerate, and the son of one of the major shareholders of their academy. However, that is not the only reason why people look up to him.

Ever since the first grade, Sunggyu have been the top achiever in everything, be it academic related or not. No one has ever beat him out of his spot and there is always a huge gap between the first place and the second place. Needless to say, he has always kept the first place safe and all for himself to take. The teachers love him and used him as an example of a good role model for students. Aside from all these, he also happened to be the president of the student body organization. 

He smiled towards his schoolmates and bowed respectfully to teachers. He turned a corner and found his classroom on time. He was smiling silently, still relishing the moment of glory until he bumped into someone.


His eyebrows quickly furrowed. Nobody ever dares to bump against Sunggyu. Even his fan girls have enough sensibility not to do that. He quickly glared at the kid but he didn't get a good look as the kid bowed immediately and hurriedly dashed towards the Faculty room. He just shrugged it off and continued walking to his room.

The moment he entered the room, the rowdy classroom became silent for awhile, as if a holy presence passed them by. They then greeted Sunggyu almost simultaneously then went back to their chitchats.


Sunggyu sat in his seat and was engaged in a conversation by his best friend, Lee Sungyeol.

They were already bantering when they heard the classroom door slide open and in came their Homeroom teacher, Mrs. Ahn.

Everyone returned to their seats and became silent. They greeted their teacher in unison and waited for her to speak.

"Okay class, I know this is quite unexpected. Believe me, no one would ever expect this but, we have new students." She exclaimed excitedly as she clapped her hand and signaled at the people outside to get in.


It is indeed unexpected. After all, who in their right mind would transfer schools a few weeks before the final exams? The students sneakily looked at each other, looking for answers to questions no one really know other than the new transfer students. Everyone landed their eyes on Kim Sunggyu. He'd know the answer for sure, after all, his family practically owns the academy.


Sunggyu just ignored the stares and looked at the newcomers. They stood beside Mrs. Ahn, one confidently scanning the room, his thick brows raised in scrutiny, while the other one just had his gaze focused on something at the back wall.

Interesting.


Mrs. Ahn clapped her hand once. "Okay, class. These two boys came from Jeolla province and decided to continue studying in here. Boys, the stage is yours." She motioned for the two newcomers to come forward and introduce themselves.


The one with the sharp lines and thick brows came forward first and bowed shortly.


"I'm Lee Howon. Nice to meet you." The said boy said it monotonously that the students weren't sure if he really meant his words. Either way, they still clapped for him and waited for the other one to do his thing.

Sunggyu stared at the other boy intently. Jet-black hair, tan skin, big lips and a lanky stature. Not a hint of cheerfulness is visible if his serious demeanor could be taken into consideration. And if he's not mistaken, this is the boy he bumped with earlier on his way to class.

"No wonder he just bumped into me. Tsk' he mumbled under his breath 


"I'm sorry, what was that about?" His seatmate, Sungyeol asked him and he just shrugged in return.

By the time he looked back to the front, the teachers are already assigning them the two seats at the back of the room. He looked back at Sungyeol and asked what the guy's name was.


"I don't know. I was talking to you, remember?"


"Huh. I shouldn't really expect anything from you." Sunggyu said while shaking his head.


Sungyeol was about to retort when Mrs. Ahn announced the start of lecture.


Sunggyu glanced at the back and watched in curiosity as the unnamed guy with the jet-black hair exchanged a few whispers with his friend, the Howon guy.


His attention was whipped to the front when Mrs. Ahn slammed her teaching stick on the board. 


"Eyes in front, class. Focus."


Then she started the lecture while Sunggyu's head was full of questions about this mysterious and unsmiling guy.

 

...

 

The day of the final exams arrived and Sunggyu still doesn't know anything about Nam Woohyun- yes, finally he found the name without having to bribe anyone for the information. The boy seemed timid and only ever talked to Howon. He smiles every now and then to their classmates but only when there is a need to. He seemed untouchable. Like he can't be bothered to look at other people because they're way below them.

Sunggyu has kept that last thought since day 1 of Woohyun's transfer and the results of their final exams put oil to the spark.


"How dare that Nam Woohyun smirk at me like that? This is his first exam in our academy and yes he may have beaten me but it's just beginner's luck. He looks like someone who thinks he's way better than I am. Did you see how that big lips of his turn into a smirk, Sungyeol?"

 

Sungyeol just shook his head. Sunggyu has been bad-mouthing Woohyun for one hour straight since they left school until they arrived at Sungyeol's house only because the poor guy beat Sunggyu in the overall results and shunned the latter from his first rank in the whole school.

 

"I don't know but what if he really is smarter than you?" Sungyeol asked slowly, afraid to touch the bomb that is Sunggyu.


"With that stupid face of his? I think not. That gloomy face and big lips don't look smart to me."

"Wait, what's your problem with his lips? And it's not that big, compared to Dongwoo that is." He laughed as Dongwoo, who is silently eating snacks on their couch choked on a piece of chip and then rolled on the floor laughing after coughing it out.


Sunggyu just huffed and fumed even more.


"His lips are big and that's final, okay? Look, I'm gonna prove to you and to everyone else that it was just a beginner's luck, nothing more. I'm gonna get that first place back."


Three years later...
Final year, Middle School

"So what happened to blaming it to beginner's luck again? Years later and you're still at the second spot. And you're still sore about it." Sungyeol nudged his friend who's still staring st the bulletin board. 

Sunggyu just ignored him and focused on the piece of paper posted on the board. The rankings for the midterms are finally up and as usual, and much to Sunggyu's dismay, Nam Woohyun is still the first rank with a score margin 2% higher than his. It took so much self-control for him not to tear the paper off and crumple it down.

The whispers and stares around him didn't help at all. Even after all these years, his fan girls still couldn't believe how Sunggyu wasn't able to get back his first-rank title.

"Aww poor Sunggyu. I wish I could do something to comfort him."

"Me too."

He heard the collective sigh of the people around him. Most of the students in their middle school are also the same people from his primary school.

He's still respected but it definitely has changed. Back then, people just look at him with pure admiration. Now, he still gets looks of admiration, but it's now mixed with something close to sympathy.

That makes him feel really pathetic.

He closes his eyes and counts to ten.

Looks like all his efforts are not yet enough.
" Fine. I might not be studying enough. I'll take that first rank back and that big lips can rot in second place. Look Sungyeol, " he turns to his best friend.

Sungyeol looks at him, left eyebrow raised.
"I'm gonna do everything so I'll be able to recover my dignity just before I finish middle school. If I have to exhaust my body, so be it. I think I've been too considerate with this situation. I'm gonna show that big lips where he really belongs."

Sungyeol just stares at him and Sunggyu couldn't help the snark that escaped from his lips.

"What?"

"You know what, you've been calling Woohyun as "big lips" when it's not even that big. Woohyun's cool, okay? We hang out sometimes. Also, if I don't know you, I might think you're actually attracted to his "big" lips." Sungyeol folded his arms across his chest.

Sunggyu became flustered at the sudden accusation.


"What- why would I- never! Ah why am I friends with someone as stupid as you!" He rolls his eyes and then turns his back to Sungyeol, only to set his eyes on Howon and Woohyun.

He feels his ears turn red as he remembered what Sungyeol said. His eyes unconsciously landed on Woohyun's lips and it was at the moment, that the latter was his lips - probably out of nervousness of the result. Sunggyu hurriedly flees the situation and tries his best to go unnoticed by the duo. Luckily for him, he was not seen as the two had their eyes

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter