Betting

Mission Impossible: Seducing the Rival [working title]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

The sound of the classroom door opening is enough for the rowdy students to settle back to their seats. The class rep stood up and bowed in front of the teacher, which is then followed by the rest of the class.

After being told to sit back down, the room became silent. Today is the day the teachers are going to announce the results of their major quiz last week. The people at the back were beginning to scratch their heads, some are already feeling cold, while a few others just stayed still. 

The teacher settled in first and got the test papers she marked the day before. She flipped through all her papers, eyeing the students in front of her. The students become even more tensed at her actions. After a few minutes, she put down the papers on the table then started calling student's names.

"Lee Howon."


The said boy then stood up but not without a quiet buzz of whispering from other students. He and his friend became a hot topic after they transferred just a few days before their major exams of their final year on elementary. It didn't help that both are physically attractive.


Howon walked towards the teacher quietly and the teacher, Mrs. Kim, smiled at him. "Not bad for a new transfer. Definitely not bad."


The guy just smiled and muttered a 'thank you' to Mrs. Kim before quietly sitting back down next to his seatmate and his bestfriend, Woohyun.


"You did well." Woohyun whispered to him.


Howon just smirked at him. "Speak for yourself, smartypants."


Woohyun just bowed down his head in response. He needed to lie low for now since he's a transfer student and all that. He doesn't want to make an enemy just because he happened to be smarter than the smartest of the class.

 

Speaking of which, the smartest person in this classroom is definitely Kim Sunggyu. Their classmates just treat him like he's someone above them, like he's a god or something. Anyway, he wouldn't want to make an enemy out of Kim Sunggyu.


Even though he looks quite harmless with his chubby cheeks and his big smile, his small yet sharp eyes are quite fearsome. That is why he felt accomplished when he found two questions to be really hard and he just chose the closest one to his answer, certainty at 65%, because by then Sunggyu would still be in first place and he'll be at second. Tada!


The teacher continued on calling everyone's names, except Woohyun, Sunggyu and two other students. Mrs. Kim looked through all the papers once again and happily announced to the class that despite the difficulty of the topic, someone still managed to get full marks. Everyone in class, except the two new transferees, turned their attention towards Sunggyu. The latter's seatmates started elbowing him lightly and the person behind him massaged him on the shoulders. Sunggyu just laughed lightly, totally used to his friends' antics.


Mrs. Kim only smiled at her dear students and proceeded to call the remaining students.


Howon leaned closer to Woohyun and whispered.
"I'm sure you got full marks. What happened to laying low, idiot?"


He snarled lowly at his bestfriend. "It's not me. I have two questions that I didn't know the answers of. I'm sure of it."


"Let's bet then." Howon smirked.


"Whatever."


"I'll take that as a yes. If I am right and you got full marks, you'll do my homework for a whole month, free of charge. Deal?" Woohyun looked at his bestfriend and thought how the hell did he end up befriending this bastard.


"Fine, Howon." 


The said guy only replied with another one of his smirk, as if he's sure he's going to win.


"Kim Sunggyu." 


Almost everyone in the classroom cheered for him, while Sunggyu himself walked confidently toward Mrs. Kim.

 

"You're almost there, Sunggyu." Mrs. Kim smiled at Sunggyu but the said boy is anything but happy. If it were cartoon, Woohyun is sure he'd have dark clouds right above his head. Sunggyu walked back to his seat with his back slightly hunched and his hands clutching his paper tightly. 


The room is confused as to who got the full marks if it weren't their King Sunggyu. The only remaining students who aren't called yet are Woohyun and another classmate, Lee Jongeun. They focused on Woohyun instead because how would the happy-go-lucky Jongeun get to have the highest score, and a full mark at that? That's beyond impossible.

"I knew it. You're so gonna regret agreeing to the bet Woohyunie." Howon mocked at him.


The moment after Howon spoke, his name was called. Mrs. Kim sported a smile so wide everyone in the class worried she might break her jaw.
Woohyun walked rather timidly, but some other person a.k.a. Sunggyu thought the other boy was mocking him in his own way. Sunggyu set his eyes hard on the boy, his paper almost crumpled completely. He won't let some new transferee take away his title as first place, no way. He vowed to let the boy know he cannot defeat Kim Sunggyu twice.


"The questions I gave out is really hard, so I understand it was difficult for some of you. But our dear Nam Woohyun got full marks on his first exam here in our school. Keep it up, dear. And you, " she turned to everyone in the room, "study well, okay? You guys can do it. Just believe in yourself, alright?"


As much as he wanted to hate Mrs. Kim for praising Woohyun instead of him in front of everyone, it was immediately shut off by how inspiring their teacher is. Among all their teacher, Mrs. Kim is definitely the best for Sunggyu. She always tried to inspire the students to work and study better rather than scolding them. Everyone in the class agrees that Mrs. Kim is an angel sent from up above.


The students simultaneously and enthusiastically responded with a "Yes, Mrs. Kim". They then clapped at Woohyun who is already walking back to his chair. Some congratulated him and some just stared intently, curious as to who this boy really is.
Woohyun plopped on his seat, aware of the stares he's getting. Howon leaned once again and whispered loud enough for their direct seatmates to hear.


"You can't escape the destiny of being popular, Mr. Smartypants."


Woohyun doesn't really hate being popular because of his brain. After all, it is the only thing he got to be proud of, aside from his face as said by the girls in their previous schools. It's just that, being popular attracted trouble a little too often. And he's had enough trouble to last a lifetime in their past schools.

 

"Whatever." He said, realizing he said this word a lot of times for a short period. His head started to ache thinking of the possible consequences. He looked at his right, feeling like something is burning their gaze on him. He flinched a little wh

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter