House of Memories

I'd Say I Love You But I Think I'm Drunk
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

 

It was seven in the morning when my phone rang. I’ve always slept light. Sudden ringing of my phone or even a simple beep never failed to awaken my senses.

 

“Hey baby. Good morning!”

 

WTF?

 

“Ji?”

 

Confusion clouded my mind. I double checked my phone to see if it was really Jiyong.

 

“I’ll pick you up later this evening, okay? Can’t wait to see you!”

 

Sensing panic laced in his words, realization dawned on me. 

 

Dara.

 

 

 

 

I immediately walked out of the elevator as it came to a stop on the 23rd floor. As I reach the last unit in the hallway, I checked my watch for the time. It’s 9:00 AM. It’s been two hours since his call. I had to wait a bit before going to his place. I knew that bumping into Dara as she walks out of his apartment would make her feel worse.

 

After punching the door codes, classical music filled my ears. Instantly, my heart broke for my best friend. Dara and Jiyong both didn’t deserve this kind of life. 

 

Jiyong was sprawled on his sofa laughing with bloodshot eyes. He fumbled as he tried to stand and greet me. 

 

“Youngbae ~ y-you’re (hic) here!”

 

I dragged my feet towards the sofa as I eyed the whole living room. Scattered papers on the floor, pictures torn on the table, spilled liquor on the carpet, Jiyong’s phone cracked and broken on near the turntable.

 

“, Bae! I’m crip (hic) asmdkjen…”

 

His words were all slurred. He kept talking but I couldn’t understand what he was saying. I helped him as he repeatedly tried to sit up straight. I sat in front of him, looking at his bloodshot unsteady gaze. I didn’t know what to do. He was holding an empty bottle of liquor which I’m guessing, he finished in a span of two hours.

 

He started laughing again. I hear words but his overall speech was incomprehensible. So, I grabbed the bottle and placed it far from him. I couldn’t understand my own best friend. He was not this kind of man. I knew that his alcohol problem roots from a deeper issue. An issue I’ve always tried to find out but kept on failing. I couldn’t even remember when this started. Despair creeps in to my heart.

 

“Jiyong, please. Just tell me where this is all coming from?” I begged him. 

 

He was once again in a drunken stupor. It’s been a year since he started consuming more and more alcohol. It’s getting worse as days pass. Jiyong has always been a drinker. Three years ago, he’d drink once a week with us. It’s always been in moderation. A year after, I’ve noticed how once a week drinking started increasing to thrice. But I understood why. It was that year when he broke up with Dara. A decision I never saw coming. They’ve always been private when it comes to their relationship. However, despite being together for seven years, it still ended without any of us knowing why. Jiyong’s alcohol intake started increasing after that. Still, it wasn’t as bad as this year. 

 

A small black velvet box caught my attention. I grabbed the box together with the crumpled paper under it.

 

It was a letter. Probably one of the many letters he wrote when they broke up. I didn’t bother to read the letter. Instead, I opened the black box and realized that it was the engagement ring he bought for Dara two years ago. 

 

Everything was frustrating me. I couldn’t understand them. I knew for a fact that Jiyong did propose back then. I didn’t know what happened after that. Despite my constant nagging, Jiyong never spoke about what happened after that. He never explained why they broke up a few weeks after his proposal. I even asked Chaerin and Bom if Dara mentioned anything about their break up and they didn’t know a thing as well.

 

We are all blind. We couldn’t understand any of them. They both pretend that everything’s okay. They act as friends. They let each other date other people. Still, they make sure to see each other everyday. They flirt when they’re together. They act as if they’re still engaged. And yet, at the end of the day, they break each other’s hearts. 

 

I placed the box and the letter in Jiyong’s lap — hoping, he’ll sober up a bit. I prayed that he’ll open up even just a little. I want to help him so badly but he wouldn’t even let me.

 

Jiyong opened the box.

 

“OH!!!! BRO IT’S DARA’S RING!!!! LOOK!!!!”

 

He was smiling. He inserted the ring to his little finger and marveled at it. He wore the same look he had on his face when he bought it years ago. I remembered because I was there when he picked it.

 

“Heh~ I knew it! It still fits.”

 

He then starting reading the letter. I saw deep emotions flood their way out. He was in pain. My best friend was in pain. Suddenly, he crumpled the paper to a ball, took off the ring, and threw them all away.

 

He started crying like a lost child. I was helpless. I just watched him cry to sleep.

 

I knew I had to do something. I’ve watched this drama play right before my eyes for too long. I thought that given time, Jiyong and Dara will be able to settle this mess. But as years pass, it did nothing but break them further.

 

 

 

 

It was four in the afternoon and I found myself sitting in a cafe near Dara’s apartment. I called her an hour ago asking her to meet me. I felt that she was hesitant at first but eventually gave in.

 

I know that I’m not in the right place to intervene but I couldn’t watch from a far anymore. I had to know what caused them to do this damage to themselves.

 

A minute after, I saw Dara walk inside the cafe. She looked carefree as always. I’m guessing she’s mastered whatever coping skills she’s using now, just like Jiyong.

 

“What’s up, Youngbae?” she smiled as she sat on the chair in front of me.

 

“Hey Dara! It’s been a long time since we’ve eaten out, don’t you think?” 

 

“Yeah. Are you sure Hyorin doesn’t mind me stealing you for a while?” she teased.

 

“Nah. Of course not. She actually wanted to come but she’s got a shoot in Hawaii today.” I shrugged.

 

“Oh, I see. That’s too bad. Maybe we should set another one when she’s back in Seoul.”

 

“Definitely!” I smiled.

 

I didn’t know how to start this. I wanted to get everything out of Dara. I knew that the possibility for getting more information from her is greater than talking to drunken Jiyong.

 

“I know why you wanted to see me, Bae. So, don’t bleed your mind out on how to say it.” 

 

Startled, I looked at her. She was calm. She even had a smile on her face.<

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter