9 hours after the crash.

Just You, Me, & the Sea

 

 

“What would you say are our chances of survival?” Wonwoo asks when Soonyoung fishes out gauze from one of the larger medical kits he’d found and helps Wonwoo wrap it around his head to keep his newly-stitched wound from bleeding into his eyes.

“Well, the PDA gleaned some data while I was swimming over to you,” the engineer explains, his tongue sticking out from the corner of his mouth as he secures the bandage and pulls back a little to check his handiwork. “This planet has twelve hour days and the air here is breathable and nontoxic. Our combined emergency supply materials will probably last us around sixty planetary days, so we have about that long until we’ll need to figure out another way to keep ourselves alive until either help arrives, or we find another way to get out of here.”

Wonwoo’s brain whirs as he takes Soonyoung’s observations into account. “Well since you were able to swim here without dying, it’s possible the water safe and filterable,” he adds, straining to reach for his holographic PDA from where it had been discarded a couple feet away before he passed out earlier. “And if the water turns out to be consumable, that means that we can probably eat some of the local flora and fauna, too. If I tweak our PDAs a little, I bet I can repurpose the bio-scans to help us figure that out for us.”

Wonwoo’s train of thought comes to a halt when Soonyoung suddenly interrupts his feeble attempts at reaching for the PDA, picking it up for him instead and handing it over before settling down next to him. Soonyoung’s expression is somber, albeit hopeful as he searches the taller man’s face. “It’s a bit strange, don’t you think?”

“What is?” Wonwoo asks, skin prickling self-consciously under Soonyoung’s observant gaze as he takes the device.

“For us to be so calm and calculative in a situation like this,” the older man explains, chewing on his lip as he lowers his eyes to stare reflectively at the floor. “I was terrified that I’d be the only one, that I’d have to figure everything out myself. I’ve been trained for situations like this, but… I’m not sure I’d be able to think rationally if I ended up being alone.”

Soonyoung looks up again, and his eyes are teary and red in a way that makes Wonwoo’s insides twist up painfully. “Everyone in our expedition and our teams are dead. And everyone back at the space station probably thinks we’re dead, too.”

Sitting together like this, knowing that they only had each other, Wonwoo realizes that there isn’t anyone else he’d trust with his life the way he implicitly trusts Soonyoung. They’ve always been on opposite sides, but that just means that he knows the extent of his abilities, and Wonwoo has never had anything but respect for that even if he never showed it.

“We’ll figure this out,” Wonwoo tells him, resolve set in his jaw, and Soonyoung stares back at him in surprise. “We owe it to them to survive, don’t we? And to figure out what the hell happened.”

Slowly, a small smile tugs on the corners of Soonyoung’s lips, his eyes still watery but growing more and more determined than before. “Yeah, you’re right,” he says back, taking a deep, shaking breath; it feels like Wonwoo’s insides are shaking too, Soonyoung’s contagious nervous energy bleeding into him as well. “We’ll figure this out. Together.”

If only things were as easy done as said.