Chapter 8

Lace
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Ewon

Ewon dragged his clothes from the drier and began to fold them automatically, his mind not really on his laudry. After all, that was how this whole mess had started, right? Damn Nichkhun and his wanting to help. If he hadn't looked in that damn drawer...

Ewon sighed. If he hadn't looked in that drawer, I wouldn't have experieced the best in my life so far, and that wonderful feeling I got when I thought he loved me. It didn't matter what happened the previous day. Ewon knew deep down that he loved Nichkhun, and that wasn't about to change. He only hoped that once the waters had settled, he and Nichkhun could still be friends.

That's if I haven't driven him away for good.

The ping of his phone in the living room served as a welcome distraction from such thoughts. Ewon abandoned the riveting task of laundry folding and went to find out who was texting him. When he saw the screen, all the hairs on the back of his neck stood on end.

'Can we talk?'

On one hand, he was overjoyed that Nichkhun wanted them on speaking terms, but on the other? Ewon dreaded what he might hear when they were face-to-face. Not enough to put Nichkhun off, though.

'Sure. Phone or in person.'

A moment later he had his answer.

'On my way.'

Ewon glanced at his reflection in the mirror on the wall. He looked okay, if a little tired. Unsurprisingly, sleep had been particularly elusive.

This time it appeared Nichkhun hadn't been waiting just around the corner. A good thirty minutes had elapsed before Ewon cought the familiar noise of Nichkhun's car pulling up in the street below. Ewon had boiled the kettle ready for coffee, and a plate of chocolate biscuits sat on the coffee table. Talk about deja vu.

Ewon opened the door and left it on the latch, before nipping into the kitchen to make the coffee.

"Hi, it's only a burglar." Nichkhun called out.

Ewon had to smile. He really does know me "In the kitchen." his heart pounded, and he did his damnedest to breathe evenly, but , he was nervous. He didn't turn around as Nichkhun entered the room "Just making coffee. And there are biscuits on the table."

"Ewon?"

He took one more hopefully calming breath and turned to face Nichkhun, who stood in the doorway, a flat white box in his hand. Ewon's heart plummeted at the sight of it. No change there then.

"Hey there." Ewon forced a smile "Let me take your jacket. Unless you're not stopping?"

"That sort of depends on you." Nichkhunscraped a hand through his hair "I've been thinking about what you said yesterday."

Ewon went back to making the coffee "Oh?" his heart was still hammering.

"I wanted to bring you a gift, and I really struggled to come up with the right thing for you. But in the end, I think I nailed it."

Ewon turned around to find Nichkhun holding out the white box. He took it, his hands trembling.

"I think this is perfect for you." Nichkhun gave a shaky smile "I'm hoping you feel the same way."

Ewon was almost too afraid to look.

Almost.

He lifted the lid, and something deep in his belly rolled over at the sight of layers of tissue. Still, he peeked under them and found-

What the ?

The only item in the box was a phot. Ewon grabbed hold of it and placed the box on the counter top. It was of him and Nichkhun, in their final year in high school, taken the night of the school prom. Both of them had hired tuxedos for the night. It was an event Ewon would never forget. The sight of Nichkhun, replended in his smart attire, had made him acutely aware of his feelings for him.

Feelings that hadn't changed one bit.

There had been casual boyfriends,but nothing thathad lasted beyond a month. Ewon had always known he could never have the one person he truly loved, and had made a real effort to find someone, but somehow it had never happened to him.

He raised his chin and stared at Nichkhun "I don't understand."

Nichkhun smiled "I said I'd found something that was perfect for you, right? Well, here it is. me. I'm perfect for you Ewon, because...I love you." he gestured toward the empty box "There's no pretty lingerie in there, and there never has to be. If you told me you were never going to wear it again, I wouldn't bat an eyelid. But if you told me you were never going to see me again? That I couldn't live with." he took a step closer "So let me say it again. I love you. I don't want to loose you, And I need to know if you love me too."

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter