Click-Clack Badda-bing Badda boom

Incognitus
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jennie opened her eyes and frantically look around, only calming down when she realized she's still on the safety of her room. She wiped the sweat on her forehead and stared at the ceiling.

“Not again.”

 

She took a deep breath and lied still, trying not to recall her dream. She remained like that when footsteps thundered reminding her she woke up in another nightmare.

 

“UNNIE!” Lisa’s voice boomed outside her room and she could smell her excitement.

 

“UNNIE LOOK AT--!!!!” She wasn’t able to finish her sentence when a pillow hit her face knocking her down.

* * *

“Unni I ngodt aczipted ad YJ Highschool !”

 

The blonde waved a piece of paper on the table while smiling like a fiend, a blood stained cotton dangling on her nose.

 

It was a letter from a high school in town . Jennie had found it together with some other important papers. Apparently, Mr. Shim had prepared the things they might need for their arrival.

 

“Im ngonna nead it aloud”

 

“Near Nalalisa Manoman,

 

Congrabdulations! You ab been aczipted ad YJ Highschool dibizion.. “

 

Jennie threw her a disgusted look and pushed the bowl of cereals away from her as Lisa continued.

 

“I just lost my appetite--”.

 

“I ngant melieve it unnie!”

 

“I can't believe you missed things too. Tell me Lisa, how can you get accepted when you didn’t even take an exam?” She deadpanned.

 

“Do we need to? I tzought zey just invite uz?” she removed the cotton off her nose. “Didn’t Mr. Shim made this possible?”

 

“Yes but did you read the third paragraph?”

 

“Huh?”

 

She scanned the letter again.

 

“In order for the process to be completed and be an official student, you are to take a qualifying exam…..”

“… and a formal interview is also necessary…”

“...physical appearance..”

 

“What is this?!!! Ya! I thought we would just attend class next week? Exam? Interview? WHY?” she watched in amusement as the younger girl whined in disbelief.

 

“Maybe Mr. Shim referred us and passed our credentials on our behalf. And honestly, that's like the basic requirement for enrollment.”

 

“You could have just told me!”

 

“Even a 3 year old knows that for goodness sake.”

 

“You could have saved me the time to read it!”

 

“Thought you could learn some vocabulary.”

 

The blonde rolled her eyes. “So are we taking it?”

 

“Nope.”

 

“Eh? Why not? I thought all of your suspicions points to that school”

 

“Still not enough reason for me to be a student”

 

“Do you have any ideas then? Time is ticking unnie”

 

The brunette looked at her palm. “I know that very well.”

 

* * *

“It would be really to cool to work here~”

 

“Nah you're too loud to work here.”

 

“Unnieee”

 

Jisoo looked up to the blonde girl slumped at the table. She was looking at someone, probably a student, who had her nose buried on a thick book.

 

“Then you should apply. We are in need you know.”

 

“Meh. Jennie unnie will roast me alive.” she traced random patterns to her cup as if thinking.

 

“Ah. The resident wild charmander at the bookshop” Jisoo thought.

 

Lisa had come to apologize the next morning after that incident saying she had the sugar content mixed up. She forgave the blonde though saying it does happen sometimes. Ever since then, Lisa would always hang out at the cafe and they eventually became closer not much to anyone's surprise. The blonde girl was easy going and fun.

 

“Why? Are you her baby sitter?” she snorted

 

“Ya I'm not!”

 

“Baby sitter”

 

“Really, I'm not!”

 

“Then just apply if so.” she challenged

 

“I told you I can't. I'm suppose to help Jennie unnie at the shop.”

 

“Then what are you doing here? Stop slacking off!”

 

“ I have my day off too!”

 

“Is everyday your day off? You spend too much time here!”

 

“Ya. Im not like you. I have a life too!”

 

“ Ya!”

 

“Sorry.” Lisa chuckled and slumped down again. “Any progress with getting the book?”

 

“Negative. Is your friend still on her period?” she retorted

 

Lisa sat up straight, trying not to laugh at her. “Period?”

 

“Maybe she's still having cramps”

 

This time, the blonde laughed out loud causing people to look at them and earning some disapproving looks. Jisoo immediately shushed her to which Lisa covered , her other hand clutching her stomach.

 

“ I don't – think - she's on her period” she said in between laughs, tears forming on the corner of her eyes.

 

“Her attitude says otherwise” she hummed

 

“Really, I think you guys just started off bad. I mean look at us- ” she gestured the both of them to which the older grimaced. “- we became best friends instantly. Why do you think is that?”

 

“Because you were blessed with the ability to spot an awesome person and has a great taste in coffee---?”

 

“Because we're the same!” the younger gestured to the both of them and looked at her like it was the most obvious answer.

 

“Wait, hold that up. So you're saying I'm loud like you.” Jisoo deadpanned.

 

The blonde choked on her drink.

 

“It's not-- well, we could be.” the younger shrugged “But what I'm saying is that Jennie unnie is a reserved type of person so she needs a different kind of approach.”

 

“What kind of approach then?”

 

“That, I haven't figured out yet.”

 

“What? You're friends! You should know what to do!”

 

“Well, we just clicked! I guess some things just happen you know. Like you and I!” the younger winked.

 

“I refuse to believe that.”

 

“Right, I know she's a difficult one. She still scares me til now. But try to maybe, like, set the deck on your favor or something.”

 

The younger sipped her drink again, feeling she had gotten her point across clearly and watched as the other seemed to consider something. It wasn't long when the older clicked her fingers.

 

“Ah! You're right! You asked me to be friends after I gave you a free taste of our new bread!”

 

“Ya unnie! Don't make it sound like I'm easy to get! I'm not--”

 

Whatever Lisa had been saying was drowned by the older's thoughts. Getting caught as a trespasser reading comics in the dark like a creep is definitely not on her “How to Introduce Yourself Effectively” list. Well, it was effective, just not in a good way. She mentally face palmed herself. She would have freaked out if she was the brunette.

 

Set the deck on my favor.

 

“I think I have an idea.” the older smiled mischievously

 

“Ohhh I like that look unnie. Spill!”

 

“I will but will you go with me?” she asked hopefully.

 

“Nope unnie.” she said in haste as she shook her head

 

“Eh?! Why not?”

 

“Because I value my life and ohhh look what time is it. Sorry unnie but I need to go now. Ciao. Goodluck!” the girl was halfway the door before Jisoo could realize she had to do it alone.

 

                                                                                                               * * *

It was a normal afternoon at The Athenaeum with a few people browsing at the shop. Many had complimented the new arrangement of the shop and that made Jennie satisfied. She thought she could get used to this kind of work.

 

It was a pretty normal afternoon indeed, except maybe for the girl who was pacing outside the shop for the last 5 minutes. Jennie saw her park her bicycle when she was wrapping a book a customer had purchased a while ago.

 

Now, the girl has resorted to peeking through the windows every now and then. She wondered when she will be able to bear the heat outside when Jennie heard the little bell ring.

 

She watched her clear and settle a box of pastries at the counter.

 

Jennie raised a brow.

 

“It's a welcoming gift.” the dark haired girl said in a small voice.

 

How to catch a Charmander 101:

 

Step #1: Lure them with beautifully wrapped macaroons. This is Jisoo setting the deck on her favor . It's like catching Lisa, just an upgraded version with better ammo. And clearly, she hasn't given up on the thought that her new neighbor is on her period.

 

The brunette looked at the carefully wrapped box unsuspectingly.

 

“But Mr. Shim isn't here yet.” she said innocently

 

The girl chuckled awkwardly and waved her hands frantically.

 

“It's for you! I realized I was being rude yesterday so an apology must be done. It's better late than never right?”

 

“I didn't put anything funny in it I promise!” Jisoo added after the brunette hesitated.

 

“Ah you're right. Rudeness was everywhere yesterday” she shook her head and took the box “I'll take this then. Thank you very much.”

 

Step # 2: Be composed. They can touch a nerve.

 

The brunette was about to turn away when she was held by the arm.

 

“Wait!”

 

She turned to look at the hand holding her and to the girl. The dark hair girl removed her hand and extended it to Jennie.

 

“I don't know if I mentioned it yesterday but I'm Kim Jisoo” she beamed.

 

Step #3: Be persistent but gentle. They might run away.

 

“Jennie. Kim Jennie” she hesitated again but the other girl took her hand and shook it

 

Gotcha.

 

“Let's ge

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter