00:00:03

Align the Stars
Please log in to read the full chapter

  - 00:00:03 - 

 

 

Daehyun and I saw each other on a daily basis once college started. It wasn’t because I wanted to see him every day or because he wanted to see me every day. He came over every day to hang out after classes or as he would say, “share brotherhood moments” with Youngjae. Silly kid, I know. After a semester and a half later, I realized that Daehyun was cooler than Youngjae in almost every way possible. Example one, he didn’t try to get me to do work all the time. Example two, he was willing to go to parties with me. Example three, he liked pineapples on pizza. I had hundreds more.

 

Earlier in the fall semester, Diane invited us to a fraternity house party. This was my first time going to a college party and my expectations were set pretty high from all the movies I’ve watched. All of high school, I was chained to my room because I always considered myself a homebody. But, I was going to finally spread my wings and fly in college. I wanted to meet new people who were going to be my life-long friends and maybe something more. I was completely sold on the idea when Diane told me about the hot guys who were going to be there.

 

“This is one of the biggest party they throw to welcome all the freshman. We have to be there!” Diane exclaimed with her hands flailing up in the air.

 

When I asked Youngjae as soon as I got home, he basically went on and on about how the fraternity party scene was not where I should have my first alcohol or party experience. Pfft, like he would know anything about partying. I asked him to come with me if he was so against me going with Diane, but he said that he had a track team get together on the campus that same night. Thankfully, Daehyun was listening in and agreed to come with me. Plus, Youngjae trusted Daehyun could take care of me.

 

How did people dress for parties? I’ve always been a jean and t-shirt kind of girl (mainly because it’s really hard to get that wrong), but that didn’t really seem appropriate for the first party of my life. I googled “college party outfits” came across a high-waisted black jeans and skin-tight crop top in my closet that fit the images. I guess this was one benefit of having my fashion-obsessed mom pick out clothes for me. I curled my usual long black hair into soft beach waves and followed a Youtube video tutorial on party makeup. By the time I was finished, I couldn’t even recognize myself in the mirror.

 

I stepped out of my room and walked into the living room where Youngjae was slouched on the couch switching channels. He naturally glanced over at me and was about to turn back to the TV when he did a double take. His expression was priceless.

 

“Hazel?” He asked, gawking at me.

 

I felt my face getting hotter. “Wh-what?” I stuttered.

 

He grabbed the throw blanket on him, rolled it up, and chucked it at me. The soft blanket ball landed on my stomach and plopped on the floor.

 

“Yah!” I screamed. “What was that for?!”

 

“Are you even wearing clothes? Go put on a jacket!”

 

I glared at him. “It’s fine! What do you know about-”

 

“I’m calling your mom!” he said as he dug for his phone in his back pocket.

 

The front door creaked open and Daehyun came walking into the living room. “What’s all this screaming abou-” Daehyun stopped talking as we locked eyes. He also had a strange response of saying my name in the form of a question.

 

“Hazel?”

 

“That’s it, I’m done with both of you guys!” I yelled as I turned to storm back into my room.

 

☆ ☆ ☆

 

As we approached the frat house, we went over our escape routes and speed dials in the case anything went horribly wrong. This idea was suggested by Youngjae because he wanted all of us to make it back home in one piece. I usually roll my eyes at the things he made us do, but as a first time party-goer, this one was actually important.

 

“Janet! Chris!” Diane screamed as she waved a quick farewell to me and Daehyun. Why did I have a feeling that this was the last of me seeing her.

 

I looked at the drunk people on the lawn dancing… no grinding on top of each other. Daehyun waved to some of friends as he walked next to me. I looked up at him and he smiled back.

 

“You can go with them you know,” I said to him and he immediately shook his head.

 

“I’m here to supervise you,” he said. “Plus, Youngjae is going to kill me if anything happens to you.”

 

My heart felt lighter hearing his name. My speed dial was, without a doubt, Yoo Youngjae. If anyone could find me or get to me first, it was going to be that nerd.

 

“Daehyun-ah, you never told me how cute your girlfriend was!”

 

I turned to see an unfamiliar face, but Daehyun laughed and fist bumped him. I watched quietly as Daehyun and the unfamiliar face caught up. They shared information about where they were dorms were located and class schedules.

 

“Oh sh- My bad. This is Hazel by the way,” Daehyun introduced. The unfamiliar face waved his hand at me and I did the same. “And this is Yongguk.”

 

“Nice to meet you Yongguk,” I said smiling. He smiled back with such a cute, wide smile. I can see how he gets all the ladies.

 

“I see you guys have an empty hand. Let me grab you guys a drink,” he said. Before we could protest, he was already back with the infamous red solo cup filled to the top. “Let’s drink!”

 

I chugged the cup

Please log in to read the full chapter