Chapter 3- the end...

The Rose Cottage

 

 

“Yah you two don’t run! Wait for me!” The lady tried to catch up with the two energy-balls running up the mountain. They were supposed to be hiking but the father and son were practically going on a marathon. Just as they stepped outta their van, the two were squealing and happily running everywhere, almost forgetting her existence.

She couldn’t complain though. It was after a very long time that she was seeing her husband so happy. That man went through hell in his life.

She could still remember the day she saw that man on stretcher, being hurried to the emergency room. At first she couldn’t recognize him. Deadly pale skin, unshaven beard, huge dark bags under the eyes, chapped colourless lips, extremely thinned body… that wasn’t the Kim Jonghyun she used to know. She remembered him as a handsome, cheerful guy.

There was happiness overflowing from that man whenever she saw him with his boyfriend. He was a fighter, caring and doing everything he could to keep his lover with him. His boyfriend was also a sweetheart, all loving and caring. There were one or two times she felt jealous about that gay couple. They were so in love. They were a perfect match, no one could deny that. But that love met its tragic end with the unfortunate death of his boyfriend.

After four months from that certain day, Jonghyun was back in the hospital. Not as a visitor but a patient with fatal wounds. According to police reports, it was a mere road accident and the blame was put on the car driver. No one believed the driver’s “He suddenly jumped in front of the car!” story, except her who knew better.

The saying was true; a man who had given up the will to live can’t be saved that easily. The doctors tried their best but there was a limit to what they could do. His body was weak from starvation. He lost too much blood and everyone gave up their hopes. But, with some miracle he woke up, he survived. The disappointment was obvious- He was disappointed that he survived. He stopped responding to people and denied food and medication.

Seeing him in that state made her feel beyond guilty. It was her responsibility to keep an eye on him. She was supposed to take care of him. It was her promise to her close friend. It was the final request of Kim Kibum…

“Irene I know this is too much to ask but, I don’t have anyone else to ask this… If I die, please take care of Jonghyun. He’ll waste his life. Don’t let him be a stupid. Help him to move on. Please take care of him. Promise that you’ll fulfil this dying man’s wish…”

Kibum was no ordinary patient. She had known Kibum since the very first day he walked in to their hospital. Starting with the professional nurse-patient talk, they came to know each other. In the three years’ time Kibum visited the hospital for his medication, they became good friends. After Kibum got admitted, they got close…like best friends. They shared their little secrets, they became partners in crime. If it wasn’t for Jonghyun, people would have called them a couple. Their bond was way beyond the patient and nurse relationship.  And… she forgot the request of that friend. The guilt didn’t let her sleep in peace. She decided to fulfil Kibum’s last wish although she was late. She switched her duties with great difficulty and started caring for the zombie-like Jonghyun.

Ever since then she stayed beside Jonghyun, supporting him with all she could. She encouraged him with words that Kibum had told her. She showed him that his Kibum lived in him and that he shouldn’t kill him again by taking reckless decisions. She taught him to look at future in a different way rather than despising it because his love is gone. She fed him and got him back on his feet. She helped him to get social, to make some friends and to get a new job.

And somewhere in the middle of giving him a hand, some strange feelings bloomed in her heart. Jonghyun wasn’t just a friend anymore and caring of him wasn’t just keeping her promise to Kibum. He became very precious to her. She knew it wasn’t gonna be easy for her, but she kept her hopes up and waited. Jonghyun was nowhere near getting over Kibum. He ate for Kibum, he drank for Kibum, he breathed for Kibum… he practically did every single thing because he thought that was what Kibum wanted him to do. She knew that one day Jonghyun would move on as well… because Kibum asked him to. So she gave him the time he wanted to heal.

Within the short time of a year, she saw Jonghyun setting new goals for himself. She saw him working hard, paying off the piles of debts he owed. He ate well, worked out and started to go out like any other guy. Things finally seemed to be falling in to their rightful places and she thought it was time to let him know that she was willing to stand by him forever as his spouse.

After a lot of hesitations, she finally tried her luck and confessed her feelings. And to her utmost shock and surprise, Jonghyun accepted her feelings. She was right from the beginning. The reason why he accepted her was Kibum.

I owe you for everything. And I do like you, A lot. But there’s something… please don’t ask me to forget my Kibum. I promise that I will love you and care for you dearly. But I can’t forget him.

She was amazed by their unbreakable bond and she accepted Jonghyun’s innocent request. She knew she could never replace Kibum. She didn’t even think of trying to do that, she didn’t have a need to do that. Just like for Jonghyun, Kibum meant a lot for her. He was a great friend in that suffocating workplace, he was caring like a brother and he gifted her something very precious. He trusted her to leave the love of his life with her. She could only be thankful to that man. If it wasn’t for him, she’d never have such great loyal man as her husband. Just as he promised, Jonghyun loved her, treated her well, made sure she was always happy and there wasn’t a single reason for her to feel bad.

Kibum was always a topic in their daily talk. Kibummie loved this~ Kibummie loved that~. Both of them adored his memory. When their little son was born, they decided to name him “Kibum” despite their elders’ disagreement. They made Kibum their own family member without trying to forget him.

It was baby Kibum’s fourth birthday and She wanted to surprise their son with a party…balloons, his little friends, gifts and all… she even planned the whole thing but Jonghyun insisted on going hiking than partying at home. He was so desperate for some reason she didn’t quite understand. She had to agree with the idea when the father and son made a secret unison and started nagging. She couldn’t believe that the little one denied partying, but then again it wasn’t that surprising… Jonghyun was spoiling the kid well.

That was how she ended up running in the Mountain. She clearly heard the Father and Son plotting to reach the top before she could get any close. She was already panting heavily, all the energy wasted for the unnecessary running. A sigh left her with a small chuckle seeing the bright smile on her husband’s face once again.

“I’ll catch you two and you’ll regret this later!”

 

“Omo Kibummie we are in trouble! Omma is angry! What should we dooooo?”

“Appa run faster faster!!!”

…..

The paths were decorated with the colourful leaves of the autumn. Flowers waved at them on the sides. Birds chirped and the wind blew smoothly. They even encountered two busy squirrels that were preoccupied with collecting food for winter. He remembered his mother telling him that meeting one of those little fellows will inevitably bring you great luck. He just saw two of them and he couldn’t help but believing the saying.

 

“Shoo” smiles kept blooming on his face seeing his little son trying to shoo a bird away. He was happy, so very happy. He wished that Kibum was there to see him. He moved on with his life keeping his beloved’s memories safely in his heart. He wanted to make his Kibum proud… he wanted to make him happy, wherever he was.

 

“Kibummie wait for Appa! Let’s go to the temple.”

 

They walked in, hand in hand as a strange breeze brushed passing them. He knew he was reaching his destination. After all those years… he was finally there. He was finally reaching the top… reaching the view he wanted to see.

Today was the day and now was the time…

He let his son wander in the temple ground and walked to the fence that was blocking the edge of the steep slope. Everywhere his eyes landed was covered with the beautiful spectrum of autumn foliage. The sun rays that fell upon the reddened tress made them shine brightly. The fragrance of autumn flowers lingered in the air and he felt like the wind was carrying a certain melody with it. So this was the beauty Kibum wanted to see?

He reached his back pack and pulled out a carefully packed notebook. A tear escaped his eye as he turned each page slowly… silently reading them. Kibum’s beautifully messy handwriting… so many words… so many wishes…

 

Before I end up in the Rose cottage… To make happy memories for him…

 ☑ Cuddle in a cold night outside…

 

 ☑   Make the anniversary present…

 

    Role play as a maid kekeke…

 

   See the ocean…

 

      Donate to an orphanage…

 

         Paint our room in pink…

 

And among many more was…

 

          Go hiking with him and see the autumn foliage…

 

 

He took his pencil and ticked the last item on the list as tears escaped his eyes. The sky was close and the clouds were beautifully arranged like a bride's veil and he couldn’t help the feeling of being a little closer to heaven. Maybe he was just crazy, but he felt like Kibum was there with him.

“Kibum… it is beautiful. The trees, the leaves, small fountains… It’s beautiful. Thank you. It’s done. Your list is completed. It’s all ticked off now. I’m happy Kibum. I will treasure these memories… like I treasure you in my heart. Thank you so much. I love you…”

 

He clenched his shirt above his chest where the heart is supposed to be. Suddenly the old pain was back. Suddenly he was a crying mess. He reached for the locket around his neck… the little gift that always gave him strength. But! Where was it? Where did it go? What happened to it? It wasn’t around his neck!

Ever since he wore it for the first time five years ago, he hadn’t gone anywhere without it. That little thing meant a lot for him, and he always took great care of it. But now… where did it go? He brushed his clothes and check again and again… and again, but it wasn’t with him. Did he drop it on the way up? He ran around the temple ground and even went back to the path they came from. But he couldn’t find it. After checking his clothes and his bag again for the nth time, he gave up. It was nowhere.

In frustration, he sat on a rock and shed his silent tears on to his arms. He was upset beyond words. He never thought he’d lose that precious gift like that. He felt like one of his limbs fell off of him. He felt alone as wind brushed past him giving him that strange feeling again…

“Yah Jjong, what are you doing?”

Jonghyun bolted up hearing the all too familiar deep voice. He heard it correctly? There was no chance for him to mistake that voice! But how could that man talk with him… how could the dead speak? His heart started racing and a million of thoughts filled his head.

He turned his head to find the source of the voice. He was quite shocked to see a completely different image than the one he imagined. Maybe he was just having a weird auditory hallucination. It was only his little son approaching him. He quickly wiped his tears before his son could see them.

“Oh Kibummie you played?”

“Yah Jjong how did you dare to drop this?”

Jonghyun’s eyeballs almost fell outta their sockets seeing his son holding his locket chain… and- and- and that voice again! It came from the small lips of his son! His little son who was still picking up words was speaking fluent language? He froze in his spot. Was he dreaming? Did he imagine it, or did it really happen?

“Yah I didn’t give you this to drop it here and there idiot!”

No! No! No! He wasn’t imagining it! It was there again! Both of his hands ran to cover his widely opened mouth. He felt like his heart would pop outta its cage any second.

“K- Kibbum”

His little Kibummie smiled, tilting his head to look at Jonghyun lovingly.

“Jjong…”

His feet automatically ran towards his son and knelt in front of him. Without letting another single second pass, he hugged his Kibummie tightly. His vision was all blurry and he knew he was ruining the kid’s clothes but he couldn’t be bothered. He could only think about the familiar warmth and the two small hands caressing his back softly.

“You did well Jjong. I'm here now. Don’t cry again”

With that the small hands put the locket chain around his neck and cupped his cheeks. He didn’t know how to react. He was still crying… half in sorrow, half in happiness. He hugged the boy again, as if his life depended on it. He couldn’t form up words to speak. The only thing that left his mouth was that one name…

“Kibum…

Kibum…

Ki-bum…”

 

The small lips kissed his forehead and pulled his back to his small, yet assuring heavenly embrace.

“I love you Jjong”

The small whisper echoed in his ear. That moment he realized… He realized… he realized that even death cannot tear true love apart.

“I love you to-”

“Aha! Caught you two! What is this Appa and Son doing without me huh???”

“Ommaaaaaa” The little one suddenly broke himself free and ran toward his mother, squealing in happiness. A sudden coldness engulfed Jonghyun. His son went back to the small Kibummie from his Kibum. The voice changed back to his childish little voice and he seemed to have forgotten what he did already. He wished his wife didn’t show up in that moment. He wished he could have stayed like that for a little longer. Just a little bit…

 

She came up to find a husband that was goofing around with the son but she found a crying man instead. She didn’t interfere, she let him be and she walked around with her son. Even after an hour passed, he was still sitting in the same place, in the same posture, with the same expression on that face, staring blankly at nowhere. She was worried to the pit of hell and she finally thought of asking him whether something happened. She called his name, he didn’t hear. She touched his hand, he didn’t respond. She even snapped her fingers in front of him, he didn’t flinch the slightest. She shook him so hard, and then only he came back to his senses. What on earth happened to this man? His eyes landed on baby Kibum and he stared at him with a shocked expression.

“Jonghyun, let’s go now” She gave him a small assuring squeeze on the hand and pulled him to his feet.

He nodded absentmindedly and picked up Kibum to get going. He walked ahead, glancing at the cheery little son in his hands every now and then. He couldn’t believe it. He wasn’t delusional, was he? No. Was that really him? Is this really him? Could it be? Was his baby Kibummie still him?

As if the little one could hear his messed up thoughts, he looked directly in to Jonghyun’s confused eyes and smiled, tilting his head. Jonghyun froze on the spot, his eyes doubled in size and his heart stared racing again.

The soft palms cupped his face and the small lips kissed his own lightly, giving him the shock of his life.

 

“Jjong Appa, it’s me. I love you!”

 

 

 

 


THE END


       Rose Cottage may refer to:

  • Morgue (a euphemism)    -Wikipedia-

A/N: So that's the end! True love never leaves you. I hope I didn't disappoint you with this crappy . 

Thank you so much for all the support my lovely reader! ♥

Many thanks to a certain Llama. ❤