Chapter 1

Dream Girls
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Sejeong wouldn’t have guessed that in her 38 years of living that she would find out that she’d have cancer. Not once did she think her time was running out. She’d always assumed she’d get married, make a family, grow old and die, but it seems life had other plans. She’d always been into fitness, eating clean (apart from occasional cravings), she had no previous illnesses, but here the doctor had said she only had a year left to live. It didn’t help that Mina had gone with her and Sejeong could see that Mina was trying to hold her tears in.

This was still a shock for Sejeong. She had a year or less left to live. The words of the doctor still running through her head. “There’s still a chance for you to get treatment but the chances are 50/50. You could either live or die but the choice is up to you.”

From what he said Sejeong knew she’d rather die knowing her time was up soon than die on the operation table. There were only two outcomes from the surgery and for Sejeong the safest option was the best for her despite the pain it would cause those around her.

After they had left the hospital Sejeong noticed that Mina was still trying to hold her tears in during their walk home. As they walked through the front door Mina finally broke down.

“Unnie, are you going to get the surgery? You can’t die yet,” Mina said as she cried. Watching Mina in this sight broke Sejeong’s heart but there was nothing she could do. Although her tears were also building up at the sight of Mina crying, Sejeong had to stay strong for the both of them.

Walking up to Mina and wiping her tears Sejeong tried to calm Mina down. “Mina ya, mianhe but unnie won’t be getting the surgery.” Instead, lead to Mina crying even more.

“Ya Kang Mina, you’re 36 years old. Why are you crying for? Look at me I’m smiling.” Sejeong said trying to cheer Mina up but instead was met with a glare. “I’m kidding Mina. Listen, I don’t want to get the surgery because of the chance.” Sejeong said.

“You can still live unnie! You’re only in your late 30s. You still have more life left to live.”

“That’s true, but the chances are 50/50. Instead of the possibility of dying during the operation, I’d rather spend my time wisely. I’ve lived a life I’m content with Mina ya.” Sejeong said as she pulled Mina into a hug. “Instead of crying for unnie, let’s try to spend my last year happily?” Sejeong said as she pulled out of the hug and smiled at Mina.

Slowly Mina’s crying calmed down and she nodded her head as Sejeong pat her head. “Unnie, are you going to tell anyone about your sickness?”

“Aniyo, I just want to spend my time with everyone without them feeling sorry for me. My parents are gone. The only family I have left is my older brother and his family, and you and Yuna.”

“Unnie, I’m thankful that you helped me and Yuna after everything that happened with my ex-boyfriend.” Sejeong smiled at what Mina had said. If she was being honest her home life would have been lonely if not for the past ten years of Mina and her daughter Yuna living with her.

“Don’t worry Mina ya, you are like the little sister I never had. Plus you and Yuna fill my home up with joy especially since I never got married.” Sejeong said genuinely. “Aish what a shame. I never got to make my own family.” Sejeong joked but it seemed to cause Mina to break down in tears again.

“Unnie, why? Why did this have to happen to you?” Mina said in between tears. If Sejeong knew she was going to be diagnosed with cancer by the doctor she would have just left Mina at home so she wouldn’t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter