freesias

Flowers and Coffins

Couple: Sana x Dahyun

Words: 1,2 k

Summary: The blizzard of the century is storming. Sana finds shelter in a church.

 


 

“I’m coming as fast as I can, Momo”, Sana says, screams rather, the wind howling in her ears. “Can you wait just a little bit-“

She curses, pressing her phone closer to her head while putting a finger on her free ear when the wind shuts her off. She spots a small church on her left, a hundred meters away tops, and she finishes her call with a short, “See you later.”

Pulling her feet through the many layers of thick snow, Sana fights her way through the chaos, barely looking across the street, too focused on where she’s headed. (A safe, nice, warm place where she doesn’t feel like her toes are going to fall off.)

She basically throws her body onto the tall wooden doors to get them to open - aren’t churches supposed to be easily available? - and sneaks in, the doors closing behind her with a great boom.

The sudden silence, a crass contrast to the white noise in her head earlier, makes her clear to ensure she can at least hear anything. (She can. The gulp rings in her head and her shoes’ clacking is pretty much echoing in the hallway. Definitely a wrong day for heels.)

“Hello?”, she hesitates, then a bit louder, “Excuse me?”

No answer.

Sana shakes the snowflakes out of her hair and looks around.

She can tell that the grand windows must usually let a lot of light in, but now, with the snow covering all soil on earth (probably), the light is damped. They’re pretty, though, the windows with their colorful mosaics, showing pictures Sana only barely knows. She steps through the corridor, somewhat reverently, and sits down on the front line. She wants to try to call Momo again, but it feels wrong in this kind of scenery. (She never went to church a lot, but she figures not to do anything that could upsets God. Or Jesus. Or whomever.)


 

“Are you alright?”, she hears a voice behind her, and she turns around.


A girl in a hoodie and jeans stands in the hallway, a broom in her left hand and an iPod in her right.

Sana stares at her, mind blank as paper, and the girl crunches her nose in confusion.


 

“Hello?”

“Are you a shrine maiden?”, Sana blurts out, because - she does look like one. There’s something innocent about her, maybe it’s the genuine, unhidden kindness that’s to see in her eyes. She could as well have a halo above her long hair. (That is, besides, dyed in four different colors, Sana notices, its tips are of a loud orange, pink and violet.)

Still, she’s soothing. Especially when she smiles - and nose widen and her eyes seem even prettier.

“No”, she laughs, snorts rather, and Sana feels a blush creep onto her cheeks at the sound of it.

“I’m in the choir, though. Are you hiding from the storm?”

“Kind of”, Sana admits, scratching the back of her head. “Could I stay here for a while? Just until it gets better.”

“Sure”, not-shrine-maiden shrugs, “that’s what church is for.”

(Sana frowns in confusion.)

“Shelter”, she explains.

“Oh”, Sana mouths, nodding silently.

“I’m Dahyun, by the way.”

Dahyun reaches out her hand in a quick motion, and Sana grabs it after a moment.

“Minatozaki Sana”, she smiles. Dahyun smirks back.

“Nice to meet you.”


She continues to brush the hallway after putting one ear bud in, the other one hanging idly on her chest.

Sana takes it as a sign to talk further, so she asks, “what are you listening to?”

“Oh, a band called day6”, Dahyun answers. Sana can’t suppress raising her eyebrows in surprise.


 

“Why? What do I look like I listen to?”


 

It would have sounded offended by anyone else, but Dahyun makes it sound like solely curious.

“I don’t know”, Sana truthfully says, “but you don’t look like rock.” Maybe pop. Or EDM, at a second look. Despite being usually rather well in reading people, she can’t quite tell what’s Dahyun’s deal.

Sana’s somehow both taken aback and curious.

“You look like ballads”, Dahyun blurts out, her head turning red when she realizes the depth of her words. (The blush even spreads to her ears, Sana notices. Cute.)

“Thank you”, Sana smirks. “Hey, listen… is it really okay for me to stay here even if i don’t… hm… believe?”

“In God?”, Dahyun asks, “sure. God wants everyone to be fine as long as they’re good people, you know? At least that’s what I think.”

“I see”, Sana says, still skeptical, and Dahyun must have noticed as she goes on, “I’m sure you have a good heart. You have nothing to worry about.”

Sana looks at the colorful windows next to her. The sky is slowly turning from dark to a pale blue again, a dirty, grayish blue, but a blue nonetheless. The light from the outside hits Dahyun, standing in front of her, and makes her look like the angel she seems to be.

“What’s this one about?”, Sana clears throat, pointing to one of the windows portraying a bible story (she supposes).

“The man was sick until Jesus healed him”, Dahyun says, apparently not minding Sana’s non existent knowledge about her religion, “he was blind to the point where Jesus touched his forehead. Then he was able to see again.”

“That’s…”, Sana crunches her nose, trying to find words that won’t offend her, “it seems…. unrealistic.”

Dahyun gives her a half smile. “It’s meant metaphorically, I think”, she says, “Jesus has brought him religion, and so he was able to see. The light.“ She gestures to the church, her broad waving including all of it. “You know?”

“I guess”, Sana hums. “What about this one?”

“Noah’s ark. God saw that humanity had turned bad and wanted to start again, so he drowned the world, only letting a handful survive to start over.”

Sana isn’t quite sure if her honest opinion would be appreciated on this topic, so she just nods.


 

“Dahyun?”

“Yes?”

“You’re country songs.”

Dahyun blinks - before bursting into laughter.


 

Dahyun is funny, attentive, and kind. Sana adores her. (She seems like she jumped right out of a movie, sweet and honest. Sana could imagine her as the girl next door everyone loves.)


 

They talk for what seems hours.


 

(“Do you really think God exists?”, Sana asks quietly, and Dahyun shrugs. “To me he does. It’s all that matters, doesn’t it?” Sana supposes that’s true.)

(“What’s your favorite drink?”, Sana wants to know. “Green tea, what about you?” Maybe beer with Fanta isn’t the best thing to say.)

(“Are you single?”, Dahyun asks, sheepishly and with red ears, and when Sana nods, she beams. “Really? Me too!”)

Sana notices she’d better get going when the sky has cleared up, letting bright light through the windows, leaving colorful spots on the church’s floor. Unsurprisingly, she doesn’t want to go. (She wants to see Momo, of course, but she doesn’t really want to leave Dahyun.)

“The storm has stopped”, Dahyun suddenly says, and she sounds about as excited it as Sana.

“Yeah”, Sana sighs, “I should get going.”

She stands up, slowly, to give Dahyun the opportunity to hold her up, and she takes it.


 

“Hey, can I have your number?”, she asks, beaming, and Sana melts. (They exchange numbers.)

“See you soon, Sana”, Dahyun grins.

Sana smiles back.


“See you soon, Country Songs.”