Jardin du Luxembourg

You're my cup of tea

Chapter 3 : Jardin du Luxembourg

.

Jongin was finally going home after a very long and tiring Saturday afternoon at work. He had texted Chanyeol already to complain about how much his feet were hurting him, from running around at work for 6 hours straight, and his beloved roommate had promised there would be chicken and a nice superhero movie to welcome him home. And the man hadn't lied.

As Jongin opened the front door with a loud sigh, taking his shoes off by throwing them on the side, his eyes fell on Chanyeol's silhouette slumped over the couch in his famous Rilakkuma onesie, eating chips while zoning out on some random show on TV.

"Yo," Jongin breathed out, dragging his feet towards the couch to let himself fall on it.

Chanyeol didn't blink away from his comedy show and waved at him.

"Chicken's on its way to us. You can choose between Avengers or Guardians of the Galaxy."

Jongin smiled lazily as he stretched on the couch.

"We haven't watched Guardians in a while."

"Yes but Iron Man is in Avengers," Chanyeol said, raising his index as he finally looked at his friend.

"Good point."

Jongin wiggled a bit, let out another exhausted sigh, and rose back up.

"Still, Guardians please. I'm gonna take a quick shower, don't start the chicken without me. I'll know if you do. And you'll regret it."

"I solemnly swear that I won't touch the holy chicken," Chanyeol sneered, giving Jongin a playful kick on his knee.

Jongin made his way out, turning back to his roommate one last time to point at him with two fingers and slowly bring them to his eyes as he mouthed a “I'm watching you”. Chanyeol snorted.

Jongin had put on his own bear onesie because apparently, it was some onesie night. Chanyeol had been decent enough to keep his promise to not start eating without him, and they feasted together watching the movie, replaying their favorite parts three times each and reacting the best dialogs together. They kept complaining and commenting about the exact same things they always judged while watching it, like some old, forgetful couple.

It was only when the chicken box was empty and the movie over, that Chanyeol looked at Jongin as if he hadn't seen him in three weeks, and blinked at his face.

"Oh," he blurted. "You've got mail by the way."

Jongin didn't move from his suspicious position that didn't seem comfortable in the least -he was sprawled over the armchair, one leg dangling into the void-, but made a small sound of acknowledgment.

"It's a package, I think it's from your French friend or so..."

Jongin suddenly straightened up, wincing at the small pain in his back from such an abrupt movement.

"What? Where?"

Chanyeol threw one of his arm towards the small furniture next to the front door, where a rather large package was standing in uncertain balance. Jongin jolted out of his seat and ran to the package to get it with eager hands. He brought it back to the couch, grabbing a knife to open it.

"Wow," Chanyeol chuckled. "Is there money inside or what?"

"Nope. Tea."

His roommate rolled his eyes, going back to play on his phone as Jongin was struggling with the box. It finally opened and a strong scent of flowers and tea invaded the room, even covering the lingering smell of chicken. Jongin closed his eyes with a smile, inhaling longly.

"'smells nice enough," Chanyeol commented, rubbing his eye and feigning indifference.

But Jongin didn't even pay him any attention, as he was reading the small letter Kyungsoo had left him. His friend had tried to scribble some sentences in Korean and his handwriting was very funny to Jongin.

"What are you laughing at?" Chanyeol asked, coming closer to peep over his shoulder, but Jongin moved to stay out of reach.

Jongin didn't bother to answer him, going through the long explanations his friend left him about the three different teas he sent him. Kyungsoo was actually apologizing because he had been forced to buy the tea for Taemin in the official box of the brand, as it wasn't sold in his store in regular tea bags. Jongin blinked, thinking this was the last thing on earth to apologize for, and looked over at his package. There stood two nice bags, one white, one light green, and two black little boxes. Jongin took one in his hands, opening it to find a very nicely sealed metal crate. It was so precious and beautiful, the thought to actually offer one to Taemin made him quite nervous.

He still had to figure out how to make it look like not such a big deal.

 

 

In the end, after three days of looking at the stylish and refined box holding Taemin's favorite tea, Jongin still had no idea how he could possibly be casual about giving it to him. He had finally decided there was no accidental way to offer a gift to a seller in one's favorite shop, and he would just have to go through it as spontaneously as possible and hope for the best. Because there was no way he would back down now that he had it in his hands. It was for Taemin. It had always been for Taemin.

Also, Jongin had the occasion to taste the famous tea twice already, and he had to admit it was delightful in every possible way. The simple scent of it was already heavenly, but the flavor was so sweet and succulent, with a delicious taste of honey, that it got Jongin addicted in one sip.

Wednesday arrived, and Jongin found himself 100 meters away from his tea shop, his right hand anxiously closed around the handle of a shopping bag where rested Taemin's little box of tea. He kept telling himself that he could do this, it couldn't go that wrong, and beside a rush of embarrassment, nothing truly terrible was going to fall on him.

As he pushed the door open, his eyes fell on Taemin, who somehow, managed to seem even more radiant than usual. Jongin wondered how the man could always outdo himself and continue to become prettier with each passing day.

"Hey there, long time no see," Taemin sing-songed with a smile.

His eyes cracked up into two small crescents and Jongin fell deeper into the pit of adoration he was buried in.

He hadn't been able to come last week, that was probably what Taemin was teasing him about.

"Sorry," he mumbled and stopped himself before he could admit something mortifying like “I missed you”.

"How have you been?" Taemin asked, leaning on his counter.

It was the first time his seller was so casual with him and for a moment, Jongin wondered what was happening and if maybe, he was dreaming. Taemin seemed to catch on his surprise, because he bit his lips and looked sheepish.

"Sorry, am I being too casual?"

Jongin immediately shook his head, a smile blooming on his reddening face.

"No, no. I was a bit taken aback. But like-... a good taken aback. It's fine. I'm doing great. And you?"

There it was. Finally. After months of sobbing and mopping, he somehow managed to get a casual discussion with his crush.

Taemin scrunched his nose a bit as he replied.

"I'm great too. It was becoming a bit weird to always be so formal with you when you come here so often. You feel like-... I don't know. More than a customer. Is that okay?"

More than a customer was totally okay. It was fantastic.

"You feel like more than a seller," Jongin admitted with a little smirk.

So. much. more. than a seller.

There was a look on Taemin's face that Jongin couldn't exactly decipher. It was probably best not to dwell on it too long, otherwise he would start to hope like a madman all over again.

"That's nice to know," Taemin said with a nod, before he straightened. "So, what will it be today?"

Jongin took a long inhale and tried to gather all the courage he could find within himself. Taemin's previous words had given him a newfound confidence that he maybe wouldn't be looked upon as a creep.

"Actually," he said, trying to not let his voice waver. "I-... hum... I have a present for you."

He raised his arm and put down the shopping bag on top of the counter. Taemin's mouth opened in shock as he looked clearly bewildered.

"A present?" he repeated.

"Yes. Take it as-... a gift for being such a good more-than-a-seller person...? I guess. I just-... It's for you."

He realized he should stop talking when the words started to become incoherent and he was scared he would end up gurgling in front of Taemin because that look of innocent curiosity and joy on his face was too pure for Jongin's heart.

Taemin drummed his fingers on the counter for a couple of seconds before he reached for the bag. He stopped himself as his hands closed on the handle.

"I really don't know how to act right now, please don't judge me. I can't believe you brought me something."

He fumbled over the bag and reached for the elegant, plain black box. His eyebrows furrowed a bit as a familiar scent was already invading his nostrils. His eyes widened a bit as they switched back to Jongin.

"You didn't-..."

Jongin gave him a mischievous smile as he nodded.

"Open it!"

He saw Taemin positively tremble from excitement as he unwrapped the black ribbon and tried to open the cardboard without breaking it. Finally, his eyes fell on the lovely black and red crate, with the unmistakable “Jardin du Luxembourg” label.

"You ing did!" Taemin blurted out before he caught himself and almost violently put his hand on his mouth.

Jongin couldn't help the laugh that fell from his lips.

"Oh god, I'm sorry, I didn't mean to swear. Thank you. Thank you so much. I can't believe you-...," Taemin stammered, bowing repeatedly in front of him. "You did that."

There was a beast roaring with happiness in Jongin's belly at that moment. The look of pure happiness that graced Taemin's features was the best thing he ever saw.

"You're very welcome," Jongin laughed.

"I could hug you right now."

Although the idea was very appealing, -enough to make Jongin's heart stop functioning for almost a whole minute- it was probably better not to let themselves get too carried away. Jongin wasn't sure he could survive a casual, thankful hug from Taemin.

"I'm really glad it makes you so happy."

Taemin sighed, hugging his little tea box against his heart with a large smile.

"It does. Oh my. I can't wait to go home and drink this again. Thank you so much."

His eyes went to the box again, seeing it sealed by a sticker, and he looked back at Jongin.

"Were you able to taste it? I could open it and put some in a bag. We could share. You really should taste it."

Jongin smiled fondly at that.

"I asked my friend to send me two boxes actually. One for you, and one for me. I tasted it already and you were absolutely right. I loved it a lot."

"Oh, great. Thank you, again."

A red tint sprawled on Taemin's cheekbones and he looked a bit awkward.

"I feel so shy now, I don't know what to say," he said, scratching his forehead.

Before Jongin could find something intelligent to answer, he heard the door open behind him and Taemin quickly hid his tea box and shopping bag behind the counter before he greeted the new customers politely.

It was very satisfying to Jongin to see that Taemin's smile wasn't as large as it had been when he greeted him. That was a petty, idiotic thing to notice, but still.

"I think I'll go now," Jongin said with a side glance at the two girls behind him that were whispering to themselves as they looked over the shelves of tea boxes, discussing their preferences.

He had come only to gave Taemin his gift, and he didn't want to make it too weird now. Even if he was a bit bitter that his visit had been so short.

"Oh, okay," Taemin said with a nod; and his voice sounded sad.

"Have a nice day," Jongin murmured.

Taemin gave him a beaming smile.

"You too. Have a good week. Drink a lot of tea. And thank you."

Jongin rubbed his nose and turned away, going for the door when his seller stopped him.

"Ah, Mister..."

It suddenly occurred to Jongin that Taemin didn't know his name. After all those months of talking, he never actually introduced himself. He had learned Taemin's name at some point, and never realized that it wasn't reciprocal. That left him feeling uneasy. He looked back at Taemin with a stunned frown.

"We'll receive new teas next week. Some seasonal flavored blends. Please come again soon."

The two girls were next to the counter by now, waiting to order, and Jongin couldn't blurt out his name so randomly.

"I'll come back next week then, definitely."

Taemin's eyes were sparkling at him for a moment, before he faced his next customers.

Jongin went away and let out a long, troubled sigh. He was used to stay longer for his weekly dose of Taemin, and he wasn't sure if he had felt the need to get out because of the two women coming in, or because the sudden casualty of their exchange had made it a bit awkward between the two of them. He was already impatient to be next week.

As he made his way to the subway station nearby, he tried to calm himself down by relishing in the memory of Taemin's honesty and cuteness as he had discovered his gift. Another very precious memory Jongin was about to store in the safety of his mind.

It took him a bit more than five minutes to make it to the subway platform, and as the train was arriving, Jongin frowned. He could see himself in the train's window in front of him, and he suddenly his heels, taking long, quick steps back to the street. His heart was beating a little bit too fast but he couldn't stop himself as he was going straight back to the tea shop. His mind was yelling at him that he was being stupid, but Jongin didn't want to listen.

He opened the door and was relieved to find Taemin alone again. The seller looked at him with surprise.

"My name's Jongin."

There was a silence and Jongin could feel shame trying to swallow him up. His palm was sweaty on the door handle and he was starting to curse at himself for blurting this out.

Taemin tilted his head softly.

"I'm Taemin," he said.

He knew his name already, but the fact that his seller felt comfortable enough to share it, was turning his insides into pudding.

"I'll see you next week, Taemin," he stammered, heat reaching his neck, cheeks and ears.

"See you next week, Jongin."

Jongin slowly closed the door and went away to the subway all over again. As he sat on a free spot, he suddenly chuckled.

 

 

Strangely, Chanyeol hadn't showed that much enthusiasm when Jongin told him that Taemin had given him his name.

"But you already knew it," he had muttered, frowning, glaring at him from above his tteokbokki serving.

"Yes," Jongin insisted, folding his long legs underneath him on the couch, "but I just picked it up from their website. Now he actually told me, you know. That's different."

Chanyeol had a sigh and looked at him with tired eyes.

"So you're telling me that after, like, all those months of pining, you hadn't introduced yourself yet? You never told him you had seen his name while randomly scrolling their website or so?"

Jongin froze on his seat, all of a sudden feeling uncomfortable.

"Well," he whined. "No, I hadn't."

Chanyeol stared at him for a moment, before he nodded and continued eating his dinner in silence. The TV was still playing an action drama they had let as background noise.

Jongin nibbled on his lips, swallowing with some difficulty, and reported his attention to his bowl. His eyes kept going back to Chanyeol who was stubbornly watching the screen. That made him sigh. His roommate hadn't seemed in a particularly bad mood earlier that afternoon. And Chanyeol was very rarely quiet. His reaction to Jongin's achievement had seemed a bit out of character. He had thought his best friend would laugh and yell and pat him in the back and be proud of him. But no. Jongin was facing an awkward silence.

"What's on your mind?" Jongin quietly asked, his chopsticks playing with his tteoks. "Did I say something wrong?"

Chanyeol glanced at him and shook his head.

"No, you didn't. I'm fine."

The silence came back and Jongin still felt like an idiot, so he nudged his roommate's knee. Chanyeol gave out an exaggerated sigh and looked at him with a pout.

"It's just-... listen... I don't wanna be mean, okay? I didn't realize it was still like that between you and him."

"What do you mean?" Jongin asked, his eyebrows rising. "How did you think it was?"

"I thought you were a bit more... I don't know... flirting? Or giving up? But actually doing something. I just see you getting so overwhelmed with him and it's-... It's sad, really. Why don't you try something? Why don't you ask him out on a date or so?"

Jongin gritted his teeth, his hands coming into fists.

"Because he's a guy," he muttered. "And it's not that simple."

"I know. I know, okay. But I'm sorry to tell you that if you never try anything, you might just end up alone," Chanyeol grunted, before he saw the pain on Jongin's face. "I'm sorry. I don't wanna hurt you. But like... really, Jongin... You're not 15 anymore. You've been head over heels with him for the past half of the year and you just now finally told him your name despite seeing him all the damn time. Maybe it would be good to take more steps forward and try your luck, or just let go of him and spare your heart. What I'm saying-... the more you wait now, the harder it will be if he ends up being straight. So you should make a choice."

Jongin looked like he just hit a wall full force and Chanyeol had the decency to show some sympathy.

"I'm sorry to be harsh. But you know I'm right. I don't want you hoping for another six months and ending up getting your heart completely broken because one day, either you want it or not, the truth's gonna be out. Or, and I don't know if it's better or worse, I'll have you in five years still crushing on him and unable to move on."

Jongin put his bowl on the table in front of the couch, having lost all his appetite.

He understood why Chanyeol was being so honest with him, he knew his best friend was trying to take care of him in his awkward way and ultimately, he knew he was right. Still it wasn't anything nice to hear.

Sometimes it was easier to hide behind the fact that being gay in their country was horrible and too difficult, than admit that on top of that, he was simply lacking too much social skills and he found himself too boring to ever get someone interested in dating him.

Chanyeol put his bowl aside too and came closer, his two hands coming to cup Jongin's face.

"Was I too crude?"

"Yes," Jongin whispered with a pout.

Chanyeol pushed his hands on his best friend's face, intensifying his pout and playing with his cheeks.

"I'm sorry."

Jongin sighed, his eyes falling on his lap, not even caring about Chanyeol pinching his cheekbones.

"I don't wanna end up alone," Jongin whined. "I want a boyfriend and I want to cuddle a lot and I want to be kissed."

"I'm sure that Taemin would kiss you real nice if you give the damn boy a chance."

"I'm scared," Jongin admitted in a low voice.

Chanyeol finally let go of his face to rub at his arms, trying to comfort him as best as he could.

"I know. But for all we know, he could be gay too. He really could."

"It's not-...," Jongin started, closing his eyes with shame. "It's not even like that. I think I'm even more scared of him not being straight but still not having any interest in me because, well... I'm boring. That'd hurt more."

Chanyeol let go of him and turned back to face the screen, hitting him lightly on his shoulder.

"Enough. I'm not talking to you when you're being stupid."

"I'm serious," Jongin exclaimed, clearly hurt.

"You're the least boring on this planet, Kim Jongin. Sometimes you may be annoying and sometimes you cannot make proper sentences because your brain is all mushy but guess what, everyone's brain is mushy on some days and you have so much to talk about all the time and you're so smart and you know so many stuff about so many things. You're also funny and so unbearably adorable. For 's sake don't make me go emotional on you right now because I'm too tired for your stupid talks. Like for real, you being boring is the most idiotic thing I ever heard in my life and do I have to remind you that I listen to Byun Baekhyun talking to me all day long in uni?! His mouth is so full of I think he eats every morning."

Chanyeol was looking at him with an angered frown, as if he was personally offended by Jongin calling himself boring. And Jongin couldn't help the tiny smile on the corner of his lips, because that was his very best friend in this world.

"I swear to all that is holy, if that tea addict is not straight and just decides to not date you, I'm gonna go myself to tell him how exactly stupid he is, because no one in their right mind would say no to you. Like, man. Really. For real. How much of a crazy person could one be to get to know you and say no. I can't believe you're making me say that. you, Kim Jongin."

Chanyeol crossed his arms over his chest and went back to glare furiously at the screen. Jongin sat back against the sofa, taking back his bowl still full of tteokbokki.

"Thanks, Channie."

Chanyeol muttered something along the lines of “You're welcome” and the discussion was closed.

Jongin was lost in his thoughts, his hand putting food in his mouth almost mechanically. He wasn't paying the slightest attention to the television and didn't even react when Chanyeol laughed extra loudly after some funny joke.

He was busy imagining all different cases of scenarios of himself asking Taemin out. He dreamed about what it would be like to actually go on a date with him, but he couldn't make himself believe that he had any chance in being that lucky. He thought about Taemin rejecting him violently or being disgusted with him, and despite the hurt he felt at the mere speculation of it, a very tiny voice in his head kept saying that his seller was always so nice, and charming, and soft... maybe he wouldn't be that mean. He couldn't picture Taemin being truly mean. But even if it went in the best possible way, even if Taemin rejected him gently and with care, Jongin knew he wouldn't be able to go back there because he would be too mortified, ashamed and hurt. So asking Taemin out resulted, in Jongin's mind, in a 95% chance of never seeing him again. That wasn't exactly appealing. Even if Chanyeol was right and the current situation was going nowhere and Jongin was getting too attached, it still felt safer and better for now.

As a dark cloud of brooding was slowly but surely forming above Jongin's head, his phone suddenly biped with a notification. Chanyeol jumped at it, but quickly put his focus back on the TV. It biped once, and twice more.

Chanyeol sighed and nudged Jongin's knee.

"Put your phone on mute please, it's annoying," he groaned.

Jongin came back from the maze of his thoughts, murmuring some apologies as he grabbed his phone to see texts notification from Kyungsoo.

Jongin! You there?

Then there was a curious sticker of some bunny dancing. Kyungsoo didn't put stickers in their conversation that often and it got Jongin awfully curious.

I got some exciting news!

Jongin's eyebrows rose up, all of his sad thoughts about Taemin forgotten for a while.

I'm here. What's up?” he typed.

He waited, checking some other application on his phone as Kyungsoo was answering him. When he got a new message, his phone buzzed again and Chanyeol grouched. Jongin laughed, patting his back with an apology as he finally switched his device to mute.

Do you have any plans in July? More exactly, from 5th to 7th!

Jongin fidgeted on his seat. He was getting nervous. He could only think of a very few reasons why Kyungsoo would ask him something like that. But July was next month. The 5th was only in a couple of weeks so for Kyungsoo to suddenly fly to Korea and for them to meet was very unlikely. Unless he won the lottery and got enough money for a last minute ticket.

I don't... Why?” Jongin wrote, sticking his tongue out as he sent a sticker of a nervous weird little dog.

Can I come see you?

Jongin almost dropped his phone on the ground as he excitedly wiggled on his seat.

ARE YOU SERIOUS?

Chanyeol almost jump out of his skin with fright when Jongin blurted some exclamation of joy.

"What the heck?!"

Jongin turned to him with a brilliant smile.

"Kyungsoo might be coming to Korea very soon!"

"Holy , you almost caused me a heart attack."

"Sorry," he chirped.

But he didn't sound sorry in the least.

Jongin got up and almost ran to his room to stop annoying his beloved roommate. He fell on his bed and opened his conversation with Kyungsoo again. There was another happy sticker coming from his friend. So many stickers coming from him in one night, this was barely believable.

I'm sorry it's last minute! I actually knew about coming to Korea for a couple of months already, but I wasn't sure I was going to come to Seoul, so I didn't want to get your hopes high... My aunt is getting married so we're all going near Busan and it was supposed to be just that. But we're staying for a little while so I managed to convince my mother to let me come see you while I'm at it. She was really reluctant because it's supposed to be family time. But yeah... I persuaded her. You in?

Jongin slapped his legs on his bed like a child.

Of course I'm in! That's so cool. I can't wait already.

They send each other a few more idiotic stickers before Kyungsoo went back to the subject.

I have a favor to ask though...

Shoot.

I can't afford to pay for an hotel on top of the trips so... would it be okay to crash at your place?

Jongin snorted, rolling his eyes.

Of course it's okay.

They had met only once before, when Kyungsoo's family had made the trip from France because it was his grandmother's 80th birthday. They had met at a café back then, both being awkward and anxious at the idea of seeing each ohter for the very first time.

That fear was no longer there.

Can you please ask Chanyeol before telling me it's okay? I don't want to have to cancel tickets.

Jongin closed his eyes and laughed. He got up from the bed, opened his door and yelled at his roommate.

"Channie, Kyungsoo's definitely coming in for few days in July. Is that okay?"

"Sure, no problem."

Jongin still made his way to the living room and looked over the couch.

"He'll be sleeping in there and all. Around the 5th."

"Well then, I won't even be around that much. So, still no problem."

"Thanks! You're awesome."

Jongin gave him a beaming grin and hopped back to his room.

"Don't forget how awesome I am on the 27th November," came the loud reply.

Jongin snorted, and immediately texted Kyungsoo back, assuring him that Chanyeol agreed to welcome him, and then asking for details about his arrival.

.

.

.

Hello dears,

here is your weekly dose of Taekai to stay strong until the week-end. I hoped you liked it (*´・Д・) Please remember that I love to read all your sweet comments. They are my way of holding up to terrible days. (because i'm an anxious mess who's always 300% scared of disapppointing people)
Also, brace yourself. Kyungsoo's coming in next chapter and we're gonna get serious! (๑و•̀ω•́)و ♥
I wish you all a very good week, good luck with everything you have to do and hopefully, see you next wednesday!

P.S. : Today's tea is "Jardin du Luxembourg" from the french brand Dammann Frères. Can you tell from the way I described it that it is my absolute favorite tea in the whole universe? Because it is. It's also the most expensive tea I ever saw but meh, it's worth it. ♥♥