Final

Secretly

 

 

”I like you”

She finally managed to gather enough confidence to mutter the words, but loud enough for the boy to hear him. She’s been meaning to do so for a long, long time now and when the words finally left her lips she felt an instant relief, the tightness in his chest disappeared.

“I’m sorry.”

Was all she heard in response. They were still on the school grounds, about to part their ways and head into opposite directions. She looked up so their eyes met and she tried to look for any kind of explanation for his words.

“Why?” she finally asked borderline crying, her voice breaking in all the wrong moments.

“I just don’t feel the same about you. I’m sorry.” He repeated and offered a weak, sheepish smile, to which she couldn’t help but send a shy smile back. Her feelings were rejected, but it did not automatically mean she would become sour and hate him on the spot. She even chuckled out of awkwardness she felt, but the boy did not seem to feel awkward, not even bothered to say the least.

“See you in maths?” the boy offers as a farewell and she only responses with an affirmative hum.

They part their ways after nodding at each other for the last time, a mixture of different emotions playing in the girl’s heart.

She’s been crushing on Hansol for a few months now. Although she’s never made an obvious move or gave him any signal that he likes him, save for that confession, she really hoped to get through boy’s heart with her sincerity.

Her plan failed helplessly and although she tried not to show it in front of Hansol, she was hurt and felt how sorrow was spreading in her chest with every step she took. When she boarded the bus she broke down just a little bit and tried to cover her tears with bangs and hair she had let down when she felt clogging with emotions.

Once off the bus she made a beeline to her apartment building, punched in the code and run the staircase, not even greeting her neighbour, Seungkwan, on her way.

Seungkwan was her age, a nice boy but a little too noisy for her liking. Nevertheless they were on friendly terms, greeting each other and engaging into a small talk once in a while. She knew they attended the same high-school too, she saw him in the corridors a few times as well, but she never bothered to get to know him well enough.

Today wasn’t a day for them to interact, unfortunately.

 

 

~.~.~.~.~.~.~

 

 

It has been almost two weeks since her failed confession. She focused on her school, learning for exams and taking extra courses to score a better mark for the final semester.

Although her heart still clenched wherever she saw Hansol in her classes or in corridor, a small smile sent into her direction by him was enough for her to cool down and not pay much attention after.

One day after all her extra courses, when it was already quite dark, she entered the building after punching in the code. She didn’t bother to turn on the lights, knowing the sensor will turn them on automatically when she reaches the mid-floor.

It happened exactly that way, only with a certain addition. She stopped mid-step in quite a shock.

There were Seungkwan with some other boy, only after a slight turn and parting from her neighbour did she notice it was Hansol.

She tried to analyse the situation, but Seungkwan’s expression like a deer caught in a spotlight and Hansol’s unfocused look, as well as their blushed faces and... dear gosh, swollen and bloody red lips were more than enough for her to realize what exactly happened in there.

Seungkwan and Hansol were kissing in the dark, right next to the stairs, hoping for the darkness to hide them for prying eyes.

They still had their school bags by their legs and uniforms on, meaning they came back home together from the school and have spent the time with each other.

With every second passing, she was wondering what on Earth should she do right now. Greet them? Pretend not to see them and just continue walking?

Suddenly everything has fallen into place in her head. Hansol rejected her because he’s already had someone and that someone turned out to be no one else but her neighbour Seungkwan.

The rejection didn’t hurt as much now, knowing Hansol had a very valid reason to do so.

And in all honesty, she already started supporting the couple, which for sure had a rather hard time meeting up comfortably, knowing the prying and hateful eyes were everywhere.

Deciding to send them a smile, a nod and a concerned look, trying to convey ‘it’s alright, you two are safe’ kind of message, she bolted upstairs grinning on her way, only to scream her head off into her pillow once in her room.