Chapter 3

Another chance : A Doll's House sequel

Yong Sun Hae was an atypical girl. Just above 160 cm, chubby cheek, baby face, long and luscious hair, one would have call you a liar if you would have told her real age.

But behind a young appearance was hidden a 25 years old fierce and confident woman. Top of her class at Harvard She was ambitious and started working in top companies right after her diploma in her hands. She grew up loving the competition and being the best at everything she achieves was her main goal.

She was the kind of femme fatale you see in movies. Always with neat garments, eyes focused, serious and always piercing. Really, it was no good to be on bad term with her.

But this side of her was only what you could see on the outside. Nayoung, our heroine discovered it quickly.

Behind the strong façade, Sunhae could be a delicate woman, who try to look tough in a world where she was afraid of being hurt. This duality drew Nayoung in her arm and as their relationship grew in intensity, the heiress hung on it as a lifeline to a semblance of normal life.

She loved their random night talks or their late night rendez-vous on the family manor’s kitchen. With Sunhae, Nayoung felt like any 20’s young lady in love.”

 

“It’s her !” I exclaimed, startling the woman beside me.

“Say what ?”

“Yubin unnie, I’m sure about it !” I replied.

Before going to the long-awaited dinner at Taecyeon and Yubin’s place, I decided to make a detour to the closest bookstore. The book my intern was reading on the same day was on stock, but the shop owner told me they had to restock 2 days prior, that nobody expected this popularity for a rookie author.

As usual, I stayed after dinner to catch up with Yubin but curiosity got the best of me and I started to read my latest acquisition.

“Unnie, it’s really her ! The author of that book, this Moonstar, I’m sure of it, it’s Byulyi.”

I said, totally convinced. It only took a few pages of the book to comfort the feeling that grew on me when Umji first told me about it.

“No way !” she replied, a glass of wine near as she was taking a sip on it, looking surprised.

In the living room of their luxurious 17th floor apartment, the two of us were sitting in the couch, facing each other, our back against each armrest. It was almost like a ritual; after dinner, we would chit chat and gossip together, and the monkey tired of listening would go hit the gym 2 floor upstairs of their place.

“There are things in this book..I experienced it, I swear.” I said to defend myself, a little too overwhelmed. Yubin had an incredulous expression on her face.

“How the two main character met, it is exactly how I met her ! And the meeting in the kitchen she mentioned. I used to see her there to eat ice cream in the middle of the night with her, since the bastards didn’t allow her sweet things.”

I continued, bittersweet because of these memories.

“She’s the author and she’s telling her story. She’s shaming her folks in it, her bastard of a husband and their lifestyle. It’s brilliant, really !”

“Hmmm, fangirling much aren’t we miss Kim ?”

Yubin replied, mischief in her voice. She was smirking at me, and like an older sister would do she was teasing me, knowing about my feelings for Byulyi.

“No..I mean..she deserves the success of her book, after all the crap she has been through, it’s good that she can be heard.”

“Hmmm…” said Yubin, pensive.

“Give it to me.” She added, gesturing the book while she put her glass of wine on the small table on her right.

She opened it randomly and started reading it out loud in a dramatic way.

“Everything about Sunhae made Nayoung go crazy. Her mischief, her cockiness that drew other people mad, her body, everything drew the younger girl closer. Their heated kisses and touches, the delicate perfume of Sunhae, the way she would whisper in her ear, the power she had over her, Nayoung knew she couldn’t live without it.”

“Wow Kim Yong Sun, you were sure feisty, weren’t you ? This girl got you under her skin.”

“Shut up unnie ! That monkey of yours already teases me enough.” I said, suddenly feeling shy.

“It doesn’t stop the fact that you made a great impact on this girl’s life huh ?” replied Yubin, suddenly serious.

I look at her and felt reassured by that kindness I could see in her eyes. Really, she was like an older sister I never had, always here to listen to me whining, and give me advices and comforting words when needed. This woman was calm and resourceful, and I quickly grew dependent of her acumen.

“The day she left the manor, she told me she loved me…I just froze... and hurt her in the end.”

I confessed, my feeling unleashed. Remembering that day was painful, and I would blame myself for the way I acted, I was such an idiot.

“What about now ?” asked Yubin softly, trying to not push me.

“I want to see her, I need to know if she’s okay.”

“…You got it bad, don’t you ?”

“I..I love her unnie.”

I said softly. It was the first time I said it out loud and damn, it felt great.

“Ah…You needed your candy to be taken away from you to realized how much you wanted it.”

She said, moralizing me.

“I was a to her unnie, I treated her like they did. In the past I thought of her like a prize, a bonus I’d gain and never tried to look beyond, to learn to know the real her.”

“Well…It’s never too late to try again Yongsun ah. Move your pretty and find her. Find her and tell her everything you just told me. Your feeling for her are obviously deep, so you better stop brewing over the past and think about the future ! Do not give up, little girl.”

I didn’t realize I was holding my breath the whole time Yubin unnie was talking, but her words triggered something inside me. She was right and to this day, I don’t know how to thank her enough for her wisdom.

“You’re right.” I said, suddenly full of determination. I took back the book and instinctively, I stoke its back.

“And now I have a way to find her” I added, my eyes locked on the back cover.


_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
 

The very next day in my office, I started to look for the publisher of the book, Banana Culture Edition.

It’s not like I could focus on my work anyways.

It was quite an unusual name, to say the least. But I had no time to beat around the bush and linger on details. Online, I quickly found a location and a phone number. They were based in Seoul, but I knew she wasn’t, as I already searched for her in the city for two years without any success.

Judging from the information I gathered, it was a small company and “Doll” must have been their first soon to be best seller.

At time like this, I enjoyed having the “youngest female CEO of a top company” label right after my name, because it helped me in the past to get my company back on track. So, using it for a personal matter wouldn’t hurt I guess ?

As I dialed the number I’ve found, I started to feel uneased, a mixed of hopes and fears. It was the biggest lead I had in two years, but it wouldn’t be the first time I put my hope too high.

“Banana Culture Edition, Ahn Hyo Jin speaking.”

I froze.

I mean, I didn’t expect my call to be answered this quick.

So I froze for a few second, and forgot the line I memorized in my head.

“…Hello ?”

“Ahem..Hello, I’m…I’m Kim Yong Sun from Shinhwa corp, I-“

I was being a huge idiot !

I took time to exhale deeply and regaining my cool. I spoke to minister, I put evil in jail, so I can handle a damn phone call !

“As I said, I’m Kim Yong Sun, CEO of Shinhwa corp. I recently heard about the latest book you published, and I have to say, I am quite impress.”

“Hmm, that’s nice of you, but I don’t get the meaning of your call ?”

Said Ahn Hyo Jin over the phone, in a rather dull tone.

“Well, as you might know one of the branch of Shinhwa corp mains goal is to fund startup, like a incubation system. I think your company fits our profile type and with the recent fame of your new author, you might have bigger plans. I think a collaboration between us would be a great thing but of course, I’d like to see you and the author to get to know you. Do you think it is possible to arrange an interview with this Moonstar ?”

Well done Yongsun, well done. To be honest, the whole speech was true, I was interested in that company as we didn’t have tie with the publishing world, but it was mostly an excuse to meet the author with the particular pen name. Call me boastful, but I was sure no startup could refuse such an offer.

“Sorry, our author doesn’t want any honor or big interview.”

Say what ?

“Oh, it’s nothing like that, I assure you. It would be a way to familiarize with each other.”

I replied, startled. Suddenly my confidence fell like a house of card, and I felt my chance slipping through my fingers. Besides, this woman seemed even more annoyed after my proposition.

“Our author wants their identity to remain unknown to both mass media and corporation. As their publisher, we are taking their wishes at word. Sorry miss, no interview. Regarding your other request, just send us an email via our website, thank you.”

Wow okay, this girl has some balls right here.

“Ok but just listen-“

“I am sorry miss, but there is no exception. Have a nice day.”

Ahn Hyo Jin said, before the line went off.

“Dammit !”

I exclaimed, frustrated like never before.

I slammed the phone’s handset to its station furiously, and stood from my chair, roaming around my office to calm my nerve.

I was this close ! I literally offered funding for her company in exchange of seeing the author and she hung up on me ?! How dared she was ?!

More than being hurt in pride (which by the way was indeed hurt) I felt mad but mostly depressed at the result of this call. I was sure the author was Byulyi and this woman was trying to push me away ?

I couldn’t give up after one try, but what to do ? The professional way didn’t seem to work.

As I was thinking, I went out of my office and start to walk around without looking at where I was going, a way of mine to gather ideas.

I could use my position once again, in a more imposing manner ? Nah, it was a bad idea. The last thing I wanted was to end up choosing an easy way like all the bastard I fought.

As I was lost in my thought, thinking of a way to trick the publisher, the voice of one of my employee brought me back on earth.

“Hello Miss Kim, ahem..Is there anything I can do for you ? You need something to eat maybe ?”

He said, surprise in his voice.

Wait..to eat ?

What kind of question was that ?

But as I looked around me, I realized my feet brought me in the small shop beside the company cafeteria. I was in front of the checkout assistant, looking like I was debating which snack I should eat.

“Ahem..yes please can I have one of these ?”

I asked randomly, out of embarrassment. I paid for a bag of chip and quickly left the shop, avoiding the confused stares of my staffs.

I decided to take a break and soon enough I’ve found my intern, Umji with Yu Na, her friend from the day before. Both of them were giggling and chitchatting and I naturally wen to their table.

“Hi girls, can I sit with you ?” I asked, trying to sound casual.

The two interns straightened their back, noticing me.

“Y..yes ! Of course miss Kim, please, have a seat.”

“Umji, don’t be so formal, it’s lunch break you know ?”

I said, teasing her a little bit. She was so cute, I couldn’t help myself.

A small smile drew itself on her lips as she nodded, still feeling nervous. It was obvious my appearance broke their fun. So, to avoid any more awkward looks and useless talk, I decided to talk to them about the thing we had in common, the thing that was driving me crazy.

“You were right Umji, about that book you told me about yesterday.”

I started, trying to keep my tone natural. I didn’t want my staffs to discover what this book really meant to me.

“You read it miss Kim ??” she asked me, suddenly eager.

“I am currently, still in the middle part though” I said, munching on one of the chip I took from the bag.

“And who is your favorite characters ?” she said in a hurry, her eyes glowing with passion.

“What do you think about the writing style ? And about the plot ? And-“

“Wow Umji calm down, let miss Kim breathe !” interfered her friend Yu na, between giggles.

“Well, I am no expert with book, but I guess it’s well written, you quickly fell into the story.”

Especially when you can relate to every words and characters.

“I know right !! I have sooo many question for the author ! How the idea came to them, what did inspired them to make it so relatable, stuff like this !”

“But this author is discreet, aren’t they ? How would you ask all your questions ?” I asked, smiling at her cuteness.

“Oh you don’t know miss Kim ?! our Umji here was the talk of the town all morning in our department !”

Exclaimed Yu Na, intriguing me. I looked at her as she was proudly patting her friend’s shoulder.

“This girl right here is very lucky ! You see, there is a few fansign event for the book across the country, something really selective ! Like, only less than a hundred people were chosen, and our Umji got selected for the one in Seoul ! No camera or photo allowed, but she will be able to spend time with the author, isn’t that great ?!”

Wait…

…What ?!

“I can’t believe you’re going to meet Moonstar !! Tell me how they look like okay ?! There is so much mystery around them !”

Wait…was this situation even real ? While I was despair about meeting the author, my intern got this unique occasion ?

“Oh by the way Umji ssi, can you come to my office after your lunch break ? I suddenly remember I have to discuss something with you.” I said, throwing the bag of chips in the nearest trash bin.

I left them quickly, a big smile on my face, and my hopes high again.

It was a sign, and I would take it for sure.


___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

Heeeeey it’s me again \o/

I took a decision for the supposed to be last chapter : I’m cutting it in 3 parts.

Because a lot of things will happen and I can’t put them in a long chapter.

Here is part 1, I’ll try to update part 2 very soon ^____^

Please, tell me what did you think of the chapter +____________+