Attraction

Hunted or Hunter?

Attraction; 1 – The action or power of drawing forth a response : an attractive quality.

 

2 – A force acting mutually between particles of matter, tending to draw them together, and resisting their separation.

 

3 – Something that attracts or is intended to attract people by appealing to their desires and tastes.

 

Mark could lie, could expertly withhold the truth without batting an eyelash in sympathy, with such ease it was a surprise he ever told the truth. There was something surreal about living a different life than the one he’d truly lived – the fact that he got full control over what people were told about his past. It was exhilarating, to say the least. And in most cases, many people couldn’t tell what Mark was really feeling. It wasn’t an intentional mask of nonchalance, surely Mark did have emotions and dreams, everyone else was just ignorant to what those were.

 

Everyone except Kim Yugyeom.

 

It was infuriating, to paint it blatantly, Mark hated that he couldn’t lie to Yugyeom, that he couldn’t be the cool, uninterested Mark everyone else saw. Because when Mark was around Yugyeom, his muscles were like goo, his mind on autopilot, his body magnetized by the noble vampire prince before him. It wasn’t compulsion, Mark knew for a fact werewolves were immune to vampire tricks. No, this was pure instinct, raw attraction to the baby faced wonder.

 

2 weeks had passed since they found Yugyeom, hidden and lonely in that abandoned warehouse in the middle of nowhere. That was the first time Mark had ever had a taste – figuratively of course – of vampire venom. Jaebum always told Mark it was bad, it would drive most betas crazy. But when Yugyeom sank his teeth in and drank, slipping his saliva into Mark’s blood directly, it was like Mark took a hallucinogenic drug – or ten – with how high the endorphin rush hit him. It lasted less than 5 minutes, and Mark couldn’t even stand by himself after the first bite.

 

The second bite was like an . Although awkward to compare to, Mark couldn’t quite explain how it felt exactly without using as an example. The raw desire pulsing through his veins when Yugyeom bit him a second time was like an explosion was set off inside his body. He couldn’t even control the small whimpers escaping his chapped lips, albeit many commands from his brain. The blood loss was what Jaebum and Jackson blamed Mark’s senseless behavior on, scolding him for letting Yugyeom get the upper hand on him in the first place.

 

How was he to tell them he enjoyed the feeling?

 

He’d be outcast, tossed aside because his unusual desire to be taken by a vampire. Since he was changed, Jaebum and his pack had been more than friends, an extended family of sorts, helping Mark overcome this struggle with help.

 

So he held his tongue, plastered a smile on his face until he was alone, then broke. That first night was, by all accounts, hell for Mark. He was restless, drenched in a cold sweat as his body seemed to be going through withdrawals, irritable and sore. Tossing and turning throughout the night, Mark could do little to ease the tension. It was more physical than mental, but there were blockades set up inside his mind that made the whole process more difficult. He was too proud to ask Jaebum or Jackson for help, too timid to confide in Jinyoung’s kindness.

 

So after hours of internal and external struggling, Mark survived the first night.

 

The following nights were easier, quite literally just like any other night. Mark’s mind would wander back to the bite, the feeling of ecstasy, and he would bite back an urge to seek out the vampire. Because besides the underlying desire to have Yugyeom sink his teeth into Mark’s neck once again, he had no plausible excuse to go see the “captive”. Likewise for Yugyeom to seek out Mark.

 

Other than the promise he made when they arrived at the hotel.

 

If you need anything just let me know. I’m the room beside yours.” Mark’s own words echoed in his mind. Although he would deny it had anyone asked, Mark was a little jumpy the following days after he’d uttered the words – not really of fear, but more anticipation? - whenever someone came to his room. Jaebum didn’t seem to notice, nor did Jackson, but Jinyoung was perceptive and asked if Mark was doing ok since the incident. He could only nod, not trusting his voice to keep the unease to a minimum,.

 

But Yugyeom never showed up.

 

It was a week after they arrived that Mark finally gave in to his internal desires. He took off in a hurry to the room next door, swiftly arriving within a few moments. Should he knock? Jaebum gave each of them a key card to Yugyeom’s room, in case something happened, or he went rampant. Though he seemed docile and civil, Jaebum insisted Mark never visit Yugyeom alone, fear evident in his eyes as he uttered the words.

 

Maybe Yugyeom wasn’t even in his room? He was technically free to roam the hotel, just unable to leave due to the sunlight. Maybe this was all just a mistake? Mark bit his lip, mentally preparing for the worst when he steeled his nerves and slotted the card into the door, letting out a shaky breath as he jostled the handle and the door swung open.

 

Mark’s breath caught in his throat when he spotted Yugyeom’s tall figure drop to one knee across the room. “Yugyeom?” His voice didn’t sound like his own, distant and raspy.

 

Yugyeom’s eyes shot open, looking up at Mark. Something was behind his eyes, something almost feral. It made Mark’s blood boil, but not in a bad way. He looks so pale. Mark thought to, mentally smacking himself for realizing his skin would naturally lose pigment from lack of direct sunlight. Blinking the thoughts from his brain, Mark surged forward, hand extended to help. But before he could make contact with Yugyeom, his hand was swat away by Yugyeom’s.

 

Yugyeom hissed, gritting his teeth. “Leave!”

 

Mark blinked. Why was he being so y? Deciding to hold his ground, Mark spat back. “No.”

 

“For your own safety, leave the room now.” Yugyeom’s voice was strained, nothing like the smooth flow of it back at the warehouse. It seemed almost like he was in pain. Trying not to panic himself, Mark steadied his heartbeat, retracting his hand and taking a deep breath. But Yugyeom was still breathing hard, eyeing Mark wearily.

 

Then he bit down on his lower lip with an unnecessary amount of force. Mark watched as Yugyeom flinched at the taste of his own blood dripping down his throat. He could smell how rancid the vampire’s blood smelled, he could hardly even imagine what it taste like. Why is he doing this? Mark’s brain was overflowing with questions. Yugyeom retched against the taste, wiping the back of his hand against his mouth, probably hoping to rid the remaining blood from his lips. Mark watched as his lips stained red, the wounds from his fangs healing quickly. Mark’s eyes dragged down Yugyeom’s body, just now noticing how much he was shaking.

 

Mark stepped forward, kneeling down and reaching his hand out again. “Yugyeom, What’s wrong?” The way the vampire struggled to push further into the wall behind him sent nervous waves down Mark’s spine. Is he afraid?

 

Yugyeom slammed his back harder against the wall behind him, Mark flinched inwardly at the sound, surely noting it would hurt even the likes of a noble vampire. Granted, Mark had no real idea as to how old Yugyeom really was. Mark watched as Yugyeom’s eyes traced his arm, following the blue veins down till they reached his wrist. They stopped at the artery just above his thumb, slightly throbbing along with his heartbeat. Mark watched as Yugyeom his lips, stomach releasing a growl.

 

Realization slammed into Mark’s body as a whole. He’s hungry! But aren’t they giving him blood? Jinyoung said they were. With a slight smirk, Mark pulled his hand back. “You’re hungry.” He didn’t word it like a question, because it wasn’t one. No point beating around the bush if they both knew what was wrong. Yugyeom simply nodded, eyes dragged away from his retreating veins. Fed up with lack of knowing, Mark finally asked, “Aren’t they feeding you?”

 

Yugyeom shook his head, anger sparked in Marks eyes as he moved. But before he could stand or think twice, Yugyeom blurted out “They are!” Mark blinked in confusion, waiting. With a sigh, Yugyeom fully sat down, still leaning against the wall. How can he look so good just sitting there? Not the right time idiot! Mark was internally arguing with himself when Yugyeom’s voice brought him back. “They’re giving me animal blood.”

 

Confusion still riddled Mark’s features as he simply replied. “So?”

 

“What do you mean so?” Yugyeom’s eyes narrowed at Marks indifference.

 

Biting back an insult, Mark decided to question more. “What’s wrong with that?”

 

Yugyeom grit his teeth, fangs dancing against his lower lip with ease. Mark was memorized by his fangs, suddenly brought back to that night not long ago. “That’s like them giving you tofu and expecting you to strive off it. You dogs need meat to live. I need human blood.” There was a dangerous tone to Yugyeom’s words, the way his voice dipped when he spoke of what Marks kind needed to live off. It wasn’t uncommon knowledge that Werewolves required the nutrients of raw meat to stay healthy, but it didn’t matter where the meat came from. What was surprising was that it wasn’t the same for vampires. Mark always assumed Vampires just needed blood, not specifically from humans or animals, but just blood in general. So Mark made his mouth into an ‘o’ shape and nodded, trying not to flush at the realization.

 

Mark’s body seemed to react faster than his brain as he shot his hand out, deathly close to the watering mouth of Yugyeom. Turning his wrist towards the starving vampire, Mark felt himself smirk. You’re dancing with death Markiepoo. His heart hammered in his chest as the sound of Jackson’s voice in his mind, igniting the truth that this was indeed a crazy mans plan. Mark watched with wonder as Yugyeom his lips once more, eyes following his tongue as it grazed his razor sharp fangs. A fire erupted inside Mark’s stomach as he knelt there, unflinching as the vampire stared at his upturned wrist.

 

When Mark finally spoke, his voice was raspy with desire, and he prayed Yugyeom wouldn’t notice his needy undertone. “If you need blood, then drink. I may not be human anymore, but its better than some deer, right?” For added effect, Mark wiggled his wrist gently, holding back a laugh as Yugyeom’s eyes followed every movement.

 

“I can’t..”

 

“Sure you can! See, I’ll help.” Mark stated, bringing his hand up to his mouth and biting down with ease. Pain was something Mark was used to, so drawing blood from his own teeth wasn’t a problem. A muffled gasp emitted from Yugyeom as he shut his eyes tight and covered his mouth. Maybe he doesn’t actually want your blood? Who knows, it might be worse tasting then his own or animal. Mark thought to himself with a frown, realizing in fact that it wasn’t information he held on whether Yugyeom enjoyed the last tasting of Mark’s blood or not.

 

A few moments passed in hyper slow motion, Mark was antsy and nerves on fire as he waited – wanted – the writhing vampire before him to pounce and ignite his desires once more.

 

But Yugyeom stayed stationary, and Mark felt his resolve crack. This is stupid Mark! We need to leave before Jaebum comes looking for you.

 

The wound on his hand healed quickly, leaving a pool of drying blood in its wake. Mark noted how Yugyeom removed his hand from his mouth, but stayed seated. Guess I’m just crazy. Grunting at the thought and standing, Mark stretched his tense legs as he spoke over his shoulder.

 

“Alright fine, have it your way. Enjoy the animal blood.” He spoke as he walked, feet making little noise because of the carpet below. As he neared the door he heard Yugyeom gasp quietly.

 

“No wait!”

 

Then Yugyeom was behind him, grasping his wrist so tight it was a wonder it didn’t break. Bringing his fangs down, Mark gasped as Yugyeom bit down hard, smirking against his skin. Mark’s body was set ablaze as the venom spread quickly, making his toes curl and groin ache. After less than a minute, Yugyeom pulled away, blood streaked his chin and lips as he gave a smug smirk. So he did enjoy it. Marks mind was hazy, small whimpers were the only sound he could muster as Yugyeom placed a single finger under his chin and captured Mark’s lips with his own.

 

Mark groaned at the memory, feeling the very familiar heat low in his abdomen once more. Since that night, Mark had pointedly ignored the warnings from Jaebum and visited Yugyeom every chance he got.

 

Some nights were quiet, small kisses and some blood. Mark never stayed long, for fear of Jaebum, Jackson or Jinyoung finding him.

 

But other nights were pure fire, raw intensity and undeniable lust. Those were the nights Mark didn’t care if they found them, didn’t worry if one of the would walk in the door and see the tangle of limbs, streaks of blood, hear the needy growls or senseless moans. It was like a dance with the devil, and Mark couldn’t have enjoyed it more.

 

Until tonight.

 

Mark knew he felt something primal for Yugyeom, knew it was past just the rush from his venom. He enjoyed talking to him, joking with him, hell he even cuddled with the vampire. He knew, deep down, there was something inside him that truly liked Yugyeom.

 

And that was terrifying.

 

Jackson said Mark and him were mates, destined by fate to be together, but Mark felt nothing but platonic love for the other. Jackson was his brother, always will be. Nothing more.

 

What he felt for Yugyeom was raw, powerful, beautiful, and scary. Mark had no idea to go about dealing with this.

 

Because Yugyeom wasn’t going to be around forever. Well, technically he was, since vampires are immortal, but he wouldn’t be around Mark for much longer. The date was closing in on when the informant would come see Jaebum, when he would find out the truth in exchange for Yugyeom’s helping of the informant. It was a bit of a three way trade in a sense, and the whole idea made Mark sick to his stomach. Jaebum was using Yugyeom, clearly uncaring about what happens to the noble once he got the information he so deeply desired.

 

Mark was seated at the table in Jaebum’s room, quiet and patient as Jackson talked with his naturally exuberant tone, smiles and laughs erupted after he’d say a joke. But Mark never paid attention, mind always drifting back to the vampire upstairs. They were here for a meeting within the pack, to discuss and plan. Mark hated these meetings, they were always so boring. He usually sat silently through it all, listening but never caring.

 

Jaebum entered the room, Jinyoung in tow, as he made haste to the front of the large table. Jaebum eyed Mark wearily, lips drawn in a tight line.

 

“So the informant will be here tomorrow.” A round of mumbles erupted, fear and curiosity evident on most faces. Jaebum raised his hand, silencing the young wolves. “He will only be here for a day. He will talk to me, and only me, and then take the vampire scum and be gone.”

 

The air in Mark’s lungs seemed to evaporate instantly, leaving him winded and tense. Yugyeom is being taken away? Where? Why? His mind flooded with questions but his mouth stayed shut, tongue like molasses as it failed to form words. Mark could hardly function for the remainder of the meeting, focusing wholly on breathing evenly to avoid unnecessary attention brought on him. When Jaebum raised his hand signaling the meeting was over, Mark shot up and booked it to the door, needing fresh air and space, but was halted at Jaebum’s voice once more.

 

“Mark? Can you stay here for a minute?” Turning on his heel, Mark quietly sat in a random chair, eyes downcast as Jaebum and Jinyoung sat adjacent to him. Did they know? Is this the moment he dreaded for the past 2 weeks? Was he being thrown away? Jinyoung’s voice pulled Mark from his rapidly turning negative thoughts with something Mark hoped he wouldn’t have heard.

 

“Mark. We need to talk to you about something.” Jinyoung sighed, glancing at Jaebum with unease. Jaebum nodded, placing a hand on Jinyoung’s shoulder and squeezing slightly. Mark’s body went timid, bracing for the words to spill from their mouths.

 

“I can explain!” He quickly said, hands gripping the table with enough force to turn his knuckles white. Maybe if I explain they won’t kick me out?

 

Jinyoung eyed Jaebum, both looking equally confused. Apologizing for interrupting, Mark nodded for Jinyoung to finish what he was saying.

 

“Mark. The informant. He’s uh, someone you know.” It was Jaebum who spoke this time, voice quiet and treading carefully.

 

So they aren’t talking about Yugyeom. Mark blinked, waiting. When neither said any more, Mark asked, “What do you mean?”

 

“It’s Youngjae, Mark. He’s the informant coming here tomorrow.”


Yugyeom didn’t know why, didn’t know when it happened or even how, but he’d grown attached to the young beta Mark. He craved his attention, whether is be for a few fleeting moments of bliss, or during their more intense desirable escapades that left them both out of breath and sweaty. He craved his blood on his tongue, his body in his hands, his eyes on his. Mark was like a drug, easy to get hooked, impossible to forget.

 

It was unnerving, acquiring such an attraction for the young wolf in such a short time. It wasn’t like they talked very often, many of their encounters revolved around lack of communication, just physical contact. But the connection between them was raw, primal, almost running off instinct.

 

We aren’t even the same species! Yugyeom ran his hands through his hair at the thought, groaning slightly. How is he supposed to disappear now? After this whole situation defused, Yugyeom was to leave, to go on the run again and rid his life of these werewolves. But he couldn’t just leave Mark, could he?

 

Did he have a choice?

 

He was startled from his thoughts as the beacon of his worries barreled through his hotel room door, very clearly flustered and chest heaving from shallow breaths. “Mark?” Mark looked up at his name, eyes blown with an emotion Yugyeom couldn’t quite pinpoint at that second. He looked tense, ready to bolt at any second. Worry and confusion set in Yugyeom’s voice as he asked “Is something wrong?” Mark nodded, finally moving away from the door. He hastily ran to the dresser, opening drawer after drawer, grunting as he didn’t find whatever it was he was looking for.

 

Mark continued to search around the room, throwing things about as he went. Yugyeom grew worried, walking over to get the betas attention. “Mark, hey. Can you tell me whats wrong?” Yugyeom had his hands on Mark’s shoulders, trying to get direct eye contact, but Mark kept dodging, eyes frantically looking around. His mouth moved, mumbling something so quiet and quick Yugyeom didn’t catch it. “What?”

 

Then Mark looked him dead in the eyes, fear so evident and potent it made Yugyeom shiver.

 

“We need to leave. Now.”