Solitary

Hunted or Hunter?

Solitary; 1 – Alone, without companions; unattended

2 – Living alone; avoiding the society of others

 

If Yugyeom had to choose any singular word to describe his life, it was that. Solitary. The word burned against his eyes when he blinded, so vivid and almost painful. If he could even feel pain.

 

Well, that wasn’t entirely true. Yugyeom knew pain – it could easily be rendered by his memories of his clans demise, of the hounds of hell reigning fear and chaos on his once serene world. Groaning, Yugyeom bit his lip to avoid falling into the pit of darkness that was his memories. No good would come of reminiscing.

 

Especially not now.

 

Thump thump

 

“I know you’re here little bat, come out come out wherever you are.”

 

They found me.” Yugyeom inhaled sharply, dashing to the other side of the room instantly. Peaking out the heavy curtain, he hissed when the sunlight touched his pinky, burning his skin quickly. Looking around once more, he noted there was only this exit besides the door, which presumably had mutt scum on the opposite side of. It was so rare for them to attack during daylight – especially since he was the last of his clan. Yugyeom assumed they thought he was dead, that’s why he’d been laying low for decades.

 

Guess they realized their mistake.

 

“Gyeommie” the voice was louder now, and Yugyeom knew exactly who it belonged to. Sighing with resignation, he knew there was no way out. Even with a fight, there was probably a pack of wolves beyond that door, and it was just him in the room. He could hear the heartbeats of at least 3 people, not including who was invading the rest of his hideout.

 

The door opened with a creak, a lonely man waltzed inside, shutting the door with his foot. “Jaebum.” Yugyeom stood his ground, straightening his back to gain height. If it was just one, he could take him. It was the other two he was worried about.

 

“Ah,” the man, Jaebum, raised his hand, “I wouldn’t try to do anything funny, Yugyeom.” To emphasize his point, Jaebum snapped his finger, and Yugyeom’s eyes went wide at the snarls from the building. At least a dozen wolves were lurking these halls.

 

Yugyeom wasn’t getting out of this place alive.

 

Jaebum took a step forward, pulling a chair up to sit. Once seated, he looked at Yugyeom expectantly. When he didn’t budge from where he stood, Jaebum smirked, flashing his extended canines. “Look, Gyeommie. I’m not here to fight,” Yugyeom snarled, making Jaebum growl slightly. Clearing his throat, he continued. “As I was saying,” he began again, crossing his arms, “I know ambushing you during the day is a bit low, even for my standards.” Yugyeom let a low scoff escape his clenched teeth, Jaebum’s eyes flashing dangerously. “Do you not want to hear what I have to say Gyeommie? I could just get Jackson to come and snap that pretty little neck of yours.”

 

“Try me wolf scum.” Yugyeom spat back, fists clenching painfully.

 

Jaebum shot off the chair, in front of Yugyeom instantly. Their height wasn’t that different, Yugyeom had a few inches on Jaebum, if that. Yugyeom barred his fangs, snarling angrily. The door flew open quickly, a new voice breaking the tension.

 

“JB! We were ordered to bring the vampire in UNHARMED and ALIVE.”

 

Yugyeom glanced at the figure in the doorway – he was shorter than Jaebum, but his bright red hair and pale face stood in start contrast to Jaebum’s dark hair and slightly tan complexion. Growling, Jaebum eyed Yugyeom warily.

 

“You’re lucky you’re needed, little bat, or else Jackson couldn’t even stop me from ripping out that cold heart in your chest.” Jaebum’s voice was dripping with venom, canines fully extended and baring his yellow irises.

 

“JB ENOUGH!” The man at the door shouted this time, hand reaching out to tug Jaebum back forcefully. With another low growl, Jaebum let the other wolf pull him away. They both retreated to the doorway, hushed whispers so quick even Yugyeom’s enhanced hearing couldn’t pick it up. Jaebum’s face dropped with anger as the shorter wolf spoke quickly. Then he sighed, and turned back to Yugyeom.

 

A few moments passed before anyone spoke.

 

“Look, Yugyeom. You’re not getting out of here alive – or well, alive in a sense.” Confusion washed over Yugyeom’s features at Jaebum’s words. “What?” He blatantly asked, unsure what the wolf meant.

 

“You’re either coming with us by choice, by force, or you die trying to get out.” Jaebum shot a look over his shoulder at the shorter guy behind him, “And if you try to flee, we will kill you.” Yugyeom gulped.

 

“What do you want with me that requires kidnapping?”

 

Jaebum chuckled low, eyes boring into his. “What makes you think this is even remotely considered kidnapping? You’re older than everyone in this pack, probably combined.” The shorter wolf behind Jaebum’s eyes went wide, staring at Yugyeom with a new found interest? No, it seemed his eyes donned the telltale signs of something close to wonder. Yugyeom tried not to crumble under the weight of his brown eyes.

 

“You didn’t answer my question, Jaebumie.” Jaebum snarled at the nickname, anger flaring so bright Yugyeom could smell it seeping out of his pores. “What do you want with me? Wasn’t slaughtering my entire family enough for your bloodthirsty mutts?”

 

“Wait what?” The shorter wolf spoke quietly, unable to keep quiet anymore. His eyes left Yugyeom’s briefly to stare at Jaebum waiting.

 

“Ignore him Mark, he’s trying to screw with your head.”

 

Recognition sparked in Yugyeom’s mind as he eyed the shorter wolf closely. Mark. He must be a new mutt, no older than Jaebum was when the incident happened. A small smile played on Yugyeom’s lips, showing off the tips of his fangs in a nonchalant way. He held back a chuckle when Mark’s eyes flew to his mouth. He did however, smoothly run his tongue over the edge of his left fang, reveling in how Mark’s eyes watched every minuscule movement.

 

“He didn’t tell you?” Yugyeom spoke finally, eyes landing back on Jaebum’s. “Why didn’t you share a big part of your history, Jaebumie?”

 

“What history?” Mark repeated Yugyeom’s words, Jaebum snarling at the turnaround in the conversation.

 

“I told you to ignore the stupid vampires words Mark! Now just forget it.” Jaebum spat out as he took a step forward, watching Yugyeom closely. “Now you can either shut the up, and come with us quietly,” he cracked his knuckles loudly, baring his claws, “Or you can fight, and try to survive long enough to figure out why we need you.”

 

Yugyeom’s eyes lit up at Jaebum’s words, a smirk playing his lips once more. “Need me?” He repeated Jaebum’s words, laughing when realization hit Jaebum’s features at his mistake. “You won’t kill me if you need me, right Mark?” Mark shook his head, watching Yugyeom quietly. He smiled bigger, hands coming to sit on his hips. “Then why should I go willingly?”

 

Jaebum was in his face once more, hand poised to slash with his claws. “Just because I can’t kill you like I killed your clan, doesn’t mean I can’t hurt you real bad instead. You’ll heal quick, so I can just keep doing it.”

 

Jaebum was quick, but Yugyeom was quicker. One second he was standing before Jaebum, then the next he was behind Mark, one hand on his shoulder and the other holding his head painfully to the side, his mouth poised at the back of Mark’s neck, waiting. Jaebum growled loudly, ready to take a step forward when Yugyeom tsked, sinking his teeth into Mark’s jugular quickly. A small gasp escaped his lush pink lips, igniting a fire deep inside Yugyeom’s abdomen. Jaebum stopped in his tracks, eyes wide with what looked like fear.

 

“Stop! Yugyeom.”

 

Yugyeom pulled back slightly, lips stained with the crimson heat emitting from Mark’s neck. Mark’s eyes were closed, chest heaving as his breathing was heavy. “Why? You killed my family, why shouldn’t I kill yours?” He leaned his head down to drink more when a noise behind him caught his attention. He clicked his tongue, sighing in exasperation. “Well hello, Jackson.” He didn’t need to turn around to know who lurked behind the closed door. “Hey Jaebum, tell your hound to back off, or I snap this young Beta’s neck and kill you too.”

 

Jaebum growled, but snapped his finger quickly. Yugyeom heard retreating footsteps, smiling wide at the wolf before him. Mark was leaning against his body heavily, eyes hooded low and breathing evening out. Blood was drying on his neck, the wound Yugyeom created was healed already. Jaebum’s voice attracted his attention once more.

 

“Yugyeom, I may not be able to kill you, but if you hurt Mark anymore, you won’t ever find out the truth to what happened to your family.”

 

Jaebum’s words sent a cold chill down Yugyeom’s spine. “What do you mean, the truth?! You and your pack of animals butchered my family in cold blood!” Yugyeom leaned his head down once more, sinking his teeth into Mark’s neck again. A small gasp from Mark, then a sigh. The endorphins from vampire saliva were kicking in. Yugyeom smiled against his skin, enjoying the taste more than he normally would.

 

“YUGYEOM PLEASE!”

 

He pulled back of Jaebum’s begging, eyes wide with shock. Wolves never begged, it was below them. He let go of Mark’s head, his body falling as dead weight against his tall frame.

 

“If you come with me, I can give you the truth.” Jaebum’s voice was laced with something Yugyeom couldn’t pinpoint. “But you won’t get it if you hurt Mark, or me.” Fear. Jaebum was scared. Of me? Yugyeom thought to himself, smirking at the idea.

 

“What makes you think I even want the truth?”

 

“Because you stopped draining Mark.”

 

Yugyeom blinked at his words, realizing he was correct. With a shrug, Yugyeom dropped Mark’s unconscious body on the floor with a thud, waltzing back over to the window with ease. Jackson erupted from the door, claws and teeth bared vividly, ready for a fight.

 

“Take Mark to Jinyoung. He needs blood, now.” When Jackson didn’t move Jaebum shouted louder. “Jackson, NOW!” With a growl, Jackson retracted his claws, arms picking up Mark’s frail, blood drained body with ease. “Go!” With a final growl, Jackson took off from the room, leaving Yugyeom and Jaebum in silence once more.

 

“What do I get out of this deal?”

 

Jaebum blinked, confused. “I just told you! You get the truth.”

 

Yugyeom shrugged, unappealed at the trade. “My life for some measly words I can’t truly tell are the truth? Seems rather lopsided.”

 

“What if, you don’t give up your life for it?”

 

Yugyeom turned to stare at Jaebum, eyes wide. “You’re expecting me to believe you,” he pointed at Jaebum expectantly, “and your pack of mutts won’t murder me in cold blood once you get what you need from me?!”

 

Jaebum snarled at the insult, but held his retort. “I can blood promise we will not harm you.”

 

Yugyeom scoffed at that, shaking his head. “No.”

 

“Don’t you want the truth Gyeommie?”

 

“I’m fine living how I am.”

 

“Then we will come back and hunt you down sooner rather than later.” Jaebum’s voice was dripping with venom once again, agitation clearly radiating off him.

 

“See? That right there. Why should I trust a pack of animals?”

 

“You don’t have a choice – either come with us willingly, or I make you comply.”

 

“You’re absolute at negotiations, you know that right?”

 

Jaebum growled, hand messing his up hair in anger.

 

“Give me one reason as to why I should go with you Jaebum, just one.”

 

“Because your brother is alive Yugyeom!”

 

Yugyeom’s eyes shot open, mouth dropping slightly. His heart hammered against his chest painfully, a pain he hadn’t felt in years churned within his entire being. Balling his fists, Yugyeom hissed, fangs extended fully. “You’re lying!” He snarled out, words tinged with a lisp due to his fangs.

 

“Am I? Come with me and find out.”

 

With a final sigh, Yugyeom retracted his fangs and let out a low snarl. “You make a move against me, and I kill you.”

 

“Don’t worry Gyeommie, the feelings mutual.”