Acquaintance

Hunted or Hunter?

Acquaintance; 1 – A person’s knowledge or experience of something.

 

2 – a person one knows slightly, but who is not a close friend

 

In most circumstances, Yugyeom wouldn’t consider Jaebum anything other than a rival, let alone an acquaintance, but alas, here he was. Yugyeom was seated in the backseat of a fancy car, much too exquisite for his own tastes, but nice nonetheless. It was their choice of transportation once he’d agreed to coming with them, after Jackson and Jinyoung watched over the blood promise between Yugyeom and Jaebum, mostly to make sure Yugyeom didn’t try to hurt Jaebum like he’d hurt Mark.

 

Mark. Yugyeom thought back to the young Beta. The tiny details were etched pretty clearly into Yugyeom’s memories, almost impossible to forget, especially after he’d had not one, but two doses of his blood. There was something about Mark, something Yugyeom couldn’t pinpoint exactly. It drew his attention, his desire even, to the young wolf. Like Mark’s brown eyes were endless pools of wonder – and that fact bothered Yugyeom to the bone.

 

Werewolves were the enemy,

 

Especially any werewolf that belonged to Jaebum.

 

But something didn’t add up in Yugyeom’s mind.

 

We were ordered to bring the Vampire unharmed and alive.” Mark’s words echoed in Yugyeom’s memories, fogging his brain with the possibilities of what that meant.

 

After Park Jinyoung, the former Alpha of Jaebum’s pack, was killed by Yugyeom’s hand when he came after him, Yugyeom assumed Jaebum would take automatic Alpha status. Unless he isn’t the alpha? Yugyeom thought to himself, biting his lip raw. Shaking his head to clear the thought, he tried to compartmentalize the information. Were they hired to bring him in? If so, by who?

 

A voice broke the overbearing thoughts pounding against his skull, drawing his attention back to the present.

 

Yugyeom looked up, confused. He hadn’t heard what was said, so he just sat in silence.

 

“Well?” Yugyeom just shrugged, not willing to give out the information that he wasn’t paying attention. When Jinyoung sighed Yugyeom finally shook his head slightly, looking away. “I asked,” Jinyoung began again, slower and louder. Yugyeom scoffed, he wasn’t a child. “Are you hungry?” Yugyeom crossed his arms over his chest, lip pouting out slightly like a ...child. He shook his head, looking out the window to distract himself. “We are supposed to feed you Yugyeom, to make sure you survive.” The words sent a shiver down his spine, countless questions dancing on his tongue before being swallowed roughly.

 

“I’m still full from Mark’s blood.” Yugyeom could smell the disgust radiating from Jinyoung, who was seated in the front passenger seat. It’d been a few hours since he’d attacked Mark, and yet his blood still swam through his veins, keeping him warm and sated.

 

“Right, well.” Jinyoung cleared his throat, shifting in his seat. “We have blood reserves for when you get uh, hungry again.”

 

Yugyeom nodded, eyes turning back to the window. It had been nighttime now, they had left the isolated hideout just after the sunset. Yugyeom was surprised actually, at their curtosey to wait till it was actually safe for him to go outdoors. They’d been driving for hours though, and no amount of persuasion was going to work on Jinyoung to give Yugyeom even a general idea as to where they were headed. So he sat still, waiting. Watching the trees around them slowly diminish into endless fields.

 

Then lights.

 

Yugyeom noted they were arriving at a city, though he was unsure which one exactly. They drove a little longer, deep into the heart of the city. Loud music came from clubs, half human girls waltzed around like they owned the place. Yugyeom remembered a time when him and his brother would mingle with humans.

 

And the fun they had would last a lifetime.

 

The car halted at a large hotel, even with Yugyeom’s enhanced vision he couldn’t tell where the top of the building was. Jinyoung spoke quickly to the driver before departing the vehicle. Yugyeom sat, waiting.

 

“Are you going to get out or do I have to drag you out?” Jaebum’s voice broke the silence as the door beside Yugyeom opened abruptly. A low snarl escaped Yugyeom’s lips before he ascended out of the car, standing only inches away from Jaebum once again. They mirrored how they stood only hours earlier, teeth bared and eyes bright with anger.

 

“Enough JB,” Jinyoung’s hand was on Jaebum’s shoulder, pulling him back slightly. “Please.”

 

Yugyeom watched as Jaebum’s face dropped with resignation, irises dropping the yellow tint to their normal brown shade, taking a step back and clasping Jinyoung’s hand within his. Mates. Disgusting. “So why are we here?” Yugyeom’s voice broke the tension, eyes averting from the pair. “Is this where your alpha is?”

 

“I’m the alpha.” Jaebum’s voice dipped dangerously.

 

Yugyeom looked over his shoulder, a smirk on his lips. “If so, then why did Mark say you guys were ordered to bring me in alive?” It was mostly playful banter, at least to Yugyeom anyway. He was generally curious as to how someone managed to order an entire pack, let alone their alpha, to do their bidding,

 

Jaebum grit his teeth, fist clenching till his knuckles were white. “It was a favor I owed after JYP went missing.” Yugyeom tensed. “He said he may have information so what happened to our former pack leader.” Jaebum began walking to the entrance, passing Yugyeom swiftly. “When he mentioned having to bring you in to obtain the information, I admit I was a bit shocked. But nonetheless, this is something we need, I need.”

 

Jinyoung was beside Jaebum when he spoke, voice small in comparison. “Plus, due to the blood promise, you will not be harmed by JB, Jackson, or the likes of any other werewolf in our pack.”

 

Even with the confirmation of his safety, Yugyeom still felt his throat dry up. “Jaebum doesn’t know it was me.” he thought to himself, fists clenching till his knuckles went white. His heart hammered against his ribs painfully, vision darkening as he began to breathe rapidly. Stumbling forward, he lost his balance and dropped to one knee, eyes closing tightly as the world around him spun. “This isn’t possible. I haven’t had an attack in over 25 years!” He thought to himself as his breathing became so shallow it was a wonder he was still breathing at all. Eyes screwed shut tightly, hand clenching against his chest in hopeless prevail, Yugyeom didn’t sense a figure coming to kneel beside him.

 

Until there was a hand on his shoulder.

 

Yugyeom flinched from the stranger, startled into gasping for air suddenly. A familiar voice spoke quietly beside his ear, hand gripping harder. “Yugyeom, listen to my voice.” A small nod was all he could muster as he struggled to breath. “You need to slow your breathing, it will calm you down.”

 

Yugyeom’s body was so tense with lack of oxygen and panic, like an over tuned guitar string. Each muscle pulled taught, almost to edge of snapping.

 

“Yugyeom, breathe.” The urgency in Mark’s voice made Yugyeom open his eyes and look up, catching Mark watching him closely. “Slow your breathing. Please.” Yugyeom could only nod, fingers still clawing at his chest. He inhaled slowly, as deep as he could, before expelling the air out his nose just as slow. “There you go. Just like that.” Mark nodded as Yugyeom began to relax, shoulder easing as his breathing slowed.

 

A few more minutes passed before Yugyeom pulled away, standing. He cleared his throat, which was still raw, and looked away. Mark stood, hands retracting to his back as he looked away.

 

“Thanks.” Yugyeom mumbled quietly, still unable to look at Mark.

 

He could hear the smile in his voice as Mark responded. “No need to thank me.”

 

“Well too bad.”

 

“Are you ok?”

 

Yugyeom was taken aback at the question, unsure whether there was a proper answer or not. Was he ok? Not truly. Sighing, he just shrugged, unable to respond.

 

Mark nodded, seeming to understand the unspoken answer. “We should head up.” Mark turned to walk away before turning his upper body to catch Yugyeom’s eyes in his. Mark smiled warmly, showing his elongated canines with ease. “Oh, and if you need anything just let me know. I’m in the room beside yours.” And with that Mark left.

 

Yugyeom stood so still, he may have been a statue. A hand came up to cup his cheeks, unsure why his skin was so hot all of a sudden. Clearing his throat and chalking up his unusual body temperature to his panic attack, Yugyeom strode into the tall building slowly. “This is going to be a long stay” he thought to himself as he rode the elevator in solitary, eyes adjusting to the florescent lighting painfully. The sun was up soon, so he needed to find his room and get some rest before anything else.

 


 

About a week had passed of Yugyeom being locked up in the hotel room – though spacious and had anything one would desire, it felt more like a prison than a luxury. He wanted nothing more than to rid his being from this human hellhole, but every time he tried to leave, to get some fresh air or mingle with the lowly humans, Jackson or Jaebum would be waiting just outside the door, not letting him pass.

 

Though he could take one, or both of them easily, he decided against bloodshed out in the open.

 

For now.

 

Yugyeom knew he needed to get out quick, due mainly to Jaebum’s knowledge – or lack of – of what really happened to JYP. He knew damn well once Jaebum found out it was he who killed their former alpha, he would be as good as dead. With a heavy sigh, Yugyeom paced the expanse of the room once more, a daily routine when the sun was up to keep his mind occupied.

 

A pair of footsteps was nearing his room when the lock on the door clicked open, handle wiggling slightly. Yugyeom his heel to eye the intruder when a bad wave of fatigue slammed into him like choppy waves at sea. Stumbling, he dropped to one knee, eyes shut tight.

 

“Yugyeom?”

 

Mark. Forcing his eyes open, Yugyeom tried to stand, but another, stronger wave of lightheadedness ran through him like a pack of wild dogs. “Ironic, huh Yuggie?” He shook his head at the sound of his brothers voice, trying to focus on the present.

 

Mark’s hand was reaching out to Yugyeom when he swat it away, hissing at the contact.

 

“Leave!”

 

Mark blinked at the order, but held his ground. “No.”

 

“For your own safety, leave the room now.” Yugyeom strained against his overbearing impulse to dash over and drink Mark dry. He could hear the steady heartbeat in his chest, the blood rushing around his body in subtle waves. He could smell the metallic liquid, so close but so far away. Biting his lips open, Yugyeom drank the blood from the wound, forcing the bile down his throat at the taste of his own rotting blood on his tongue. He retched against the taste, wiping the back of his hand against his mouth to rid of the remaining blood. He continued to struggle against the desire to sink his teeth into Mark’s neck – again.

 

Mark tentatively marched forward, eyes boring into Yugyeom's shaking body. Once in front of him, Mark knelt slowly, hand outstretched. “Yugyeom. What’s wrong?”

 

Yugyeom backed away from Mark’s hand, slamming his back into the wall in an attempt to getaway. In any other scenario, this would have been completely comical. Yugyeom, the 220 year old Vampire noble, scared and cowering from a mere mid twenties Beta. Yugyeom tried to laugh at the idea of it all, but it came out as a breathy whimper. His eyes were staring at Mark’s hand, pinpointing the exact location of his artery, watching it throb with each pulse of his heart. Yugyeom his lips unintentionally, stomach growling.

 

Recognition sparked in Mark’s eyes as he retracted his hand. “You’re hungry.” It wasn’t a question, at least he didn’t word it like one. But the curiosity in Mark’s brown eyes had Yugyeom nodding. “Aren’t they feeding you?”

 

Yugyeom shook his head, but quickly blurted out, “They are!” He sighed, slumping down to his to lean against the wall easier. “They’re giving me animal blood.”

 

“So?”

 

“What do you mean so?”

 

“What’s wrong with that?”

 

Yugyeom grit his teeth, fangs extended painfully against his lip. “That’s like them giving you tofu and expecting you to strive off it. You dogs need meat to live. I need human blood.” Mark’s mouth made an ‘o’ shape, nodding to Yugyeom’s words.

 

Then Mark did something he’d never expect, especially given their short history.

 

Mark extended his hand out again, wrist upturned to show his pulsing, colorful veins beautifully. Yugyeom his lips again, tongue grazing his fangs. Mark watched his tongue’s movements, like he had back at the hideout. The same wonder was flowing through his brown eyes, a smile dancing on his lips.

 

Yugyeom fought hard against his urges, shaking his head as Jaebum’s words struck his memories. “Yugyeom, I may not be able to kill you, but if you hurt Mark anymore, you won’t ever find out the truth to what happened to your family.” His words were like ice water in Yugyeom’s veins. He needed to know what happened to his brother. He would starve a thousand days to find out what Jaebum knew.

 

“If you need blood, then drink. I may not be human anymore, but it’s better than some deer, right?” Mark shook his wrist at Yugyeom, eyes bright with playful humor.

 

“I can’t..” Yugyeom choked out, hand covering his mouth.

 

“Sure you can! See, I’ll help.” Mark retorted, bringing his hand up to his mouth and biting down slightly. Yugyeom inhaled at the blinding smell of fresh blood filling his nostrils. Straining harder against the wall and his own willpower, Yugyeom screwed his eyes shut, counting down from 10.

 

Mark was getting closer, Yugyeom could smell his blood pooling in his open hand, inviting him to taste once more. Hot tears prickled against his eyes as he fought so hard against himself, breathing uneven as he tried to ignore the smell.

 

A few deafening moments of silence passed as Mark’s hand healed, leaving dry blood in its wake. Yugyeom began to relax, not ready to open his eyes just yet, but calm enough to pull his hand from his mouth. He heard Mark grunt as he stood, bones slightly groaning as he stretched.

 

“Alright fine, have it your way. Enjoy the animal blood.” Mark’s voice sounded further away than before, nearing the door with each quiet footfall.

 

Yugyeom’s eyes shot open. “No wait!” He was on his feet in an instant, dashing over to Mark with ease. Grabbing Mark’s wrist, he brought his teeth down and sank in quickly, reveling in the small gasp that erupted from Mark’s plush lips. Just like the last time. Yugyeom drank for what felt like hours, but pulled back after less than a minute, blood streaking down his chin and chest heaving. Mark’s pupils were blown wide, mouth open as small whimpers escaped. Smirking, Yugyeom placed a finger under Mark’s chin, tilting his face up and capturing his lips in his.