Chapter Five

The Sirens Call
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

KRYSTAL'S POV

Let's see, what will I do today? I'll take a break from collecting sea shells since the humans are still in search of mermaids. I don't want to bother my father since he's a busy man. I also don't want to roam around the ocean because maybe I'll encounter one of Ji-Hyun's people. I don't know what to do and I am restless.

"WAHHHH" I shouted at the top of my lungs, "Princess Soojung, are you okay?" one of our helpers knocked on my shell door.

"A-ah yes, I-I am." I laughed awkwardly and slumped my body on my bed. Aish, so boring. Just when I was about to sleep to ease the boredom my door opened. Perfect!

I saw Amber just entered my room.

"Amber" I quickly ran to him and hugged him.

"I know you're bored, but I won't agree to your plans this time." He said and smiled knowingly. Aish what a killjoy

"But Am, everybody's busy don't you think now's the perfect time to do something?" I convinced her and he just gave me that I-won't-fall-for-your-good-convincing-skills-again

"Yah, fine if you don't want to I ain't gonna introduce you to Ailee." I crossed my arms and lifted my brow. He gave me a light smirk and I swear, this is one example why many mermaids fall for Amber, that smirk. Yes, because of that smirk. He looks so... hot.

"Ailee? Who said I like her?" He smirked once again. Gosh, I know he's my best friend, but you can't deny the fact that he's sometimes dreamy.

I pouted and sighed, "Yah, you told me if ever you'll like someone you want it to be Ailee." And he laughed hysterically. Aish mitcheo.

"Yah Soojung, the girl I like is not her." He said looking directly into my eyes. That kind of look where you get goosebumps. That kind of look that's telling you something. That kind of look that holds your breath. I averted my gaze somewhere away from his eyes. Gosh, Amber can really be a tease sometimes.

"S-so w-what? If you're not going to go with me then I'm going alone." I said and turned my back but he holds my hand. "I'm going" and he dragged me out of the kingdom. He just continued swimming without breaking from holding my hand. I badly want to ask him where he's taking me, but I couldn't find my voice. Until we stopped swimming and we stopped in front of a lot of colorful corals and a lot of seaweeds. Woah, I've never been in this part of the ocean. Then he leads me in front of a big shell.

"Woah, this is amazing." I exclaimed. Amber just smiled.

"This is my favorite part of the ocean. Whenever I want to think or be alone, I just come here. And now I am sharing my favorite place with you so that when you need some time alone or feel bored you can freely come here and not on the shore." He raised his eyebrow. This guy really knows me a lot. I sat on the shell and released a heavy sigh, he sat on the other shell.

"I was just wondering, how does it feel to be given the mermaid pendant? I mean, isn't it amazing to be able to walk, run and where those beautiful shoes? Wow." It's true. I've been wondering because there are rumors that the King sends mermaids into the human world and one of them is Amber's older brother, Henry.

Amber looked at me confused, "You know what will happen Soojung." His voice sounded so serious.

"Amber, I'm sorry. I didn't mean any harm."

Henry is Amber's older brother and his only family left. His mother died when she was giving birth to him while his father died in the war between Hae Chi, Ji-hyun's mother and King Jung Do, King Jung Chan's father. His father, Xiaoming was part of the war supporting King Jung Do. He was the right hand man of the King and was very loyal. King Jung Do assigned Xiaoming to lead the war and be on the front row. In the middle of the war one of Hae Chi's armies stabbed Xiamong in the back without him knowing. Those present went to escape Xiaoming's body and directly headed him into the Kingdom. They tried to revive him, but it was too late. King Jung Do adopted the brothers and let them stay in the kingdom. Until it was Jung Chan's turn to rule the kingdom. He did the same way and treated them as if they were his own. Henry became the right hand of Jung Chan while Amber became Soojung's playmate. When Henry was at the right age, Jung Chan send him on a mission. His mission was to find one of Hae Chi's people who went to land. Jung Chan gave Henry the 'mermaid pendant'. A year has passed yet no reports of Henry came. The King grew worried and he can't follow him since there's only two mermaid pendant. One, he gave it to Henry and the other one was from Hae Chi. A week after, the kingdom was in a chaos since they saw Henry, swimming lifelessly. The guards got him and tried to heal him, but he had several wounds and a stab on his stomach. He was very weak and couldn't breathe properly.

"The human world is very cruel. It will open your eyes to the realization that what you see isn't exactly what it is. Not all humans are good, some are just hiding in a mask to cover their evil deeds. Don't be deceived by their looks." He looked at the King intimately

"HYUNGGGGG" Everyone looked at and faced the little Amber, who rushed to his brother's arms.

Henry patted Amber's head and smiled, "Be a good boy" That was the last thing he said before he died.

"Soojung, are you listening?" Amber waved his hand in front of my face. Did I space out?

"H-huh, a-ah yeah." I nodded awkwardly. When Henry died, my father did everything to let him feel that he's not alone. He stayed in the kingdom and at 18, he was my father's right hand man. Amber and I grew up together. I was there during his happiest moments and saddest moments. I was there beside him. We’re inseparable. He was there when I needed a friend and someone to talk to, he knows me more than anyone. They say Amber’s lucky to have me, but no. I am lucky to have him. He helps me in a lot of ways, he helps me in making decisions regarding the kingdom and supports me no matter what. He is my guide, my saviour and my protector. I am lucky to have him.

I was awakened again when Amber shook my shoulder.

”Soojung, you’re spacing out again. What are you thinking?” He asked me and I flashed my sweetest smile.

”I’m thinking of how lucky I am to have you.” I said and he looked shocked.

”W-what a-are you t-talking a-about” Gosh, why does he always stutter when I tell him those things.

”Aish, stop stuttering Am. It’s just a small thing.” I said and laughed. I swam around the area. I just couldn’t believe that there’s a place like this in the ocean. I mean, I know myself that I always sneak a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter