Valentine's date

drabble collection

Summary: when your boyfriend is sweet but also very clumsy
Characters: Hoseok & reader
Words: 1,1K
Genre: fluff

As the Sun sets against the frozen horizon and the last rays of warmth disappear with the light, you grab your boyfriend’s thick jacket a bit roughly and follow him down the wintry streets. The pleasant smell of your favourite Chinese soup, the loud noise of the crowd that could drive you insane and the faint pressure of Hoseok’s sweaty palm against yours all brings you closer to your final destination yet whenever you bump into his arm and your heart skips a beat in excitement, he clenches your fingers and pulls you away from the fake surprises. Regardless of your high hopes and dramatic sighs, it’s never the right place and eventually you get bored of the false alarms and give up trying. You don’t smile, you don’t get all excited. You take your steps with your mouth completely shut.

Although, silence has never been a thing of your own.

So when he takes a right turn out of the blue, leading you into a warm place that smells like japonicas, you lift your right hand in front of your covered eyes and push the harsh textile upwards like the rebellious child you have always been.

‘Don’t open your eyes! That’s cheating,’ your boyfriend scolds you lightly before he stops walking and steps in front of you. His shaking hands fix the fabric without a second thought then slide down, fondling your crimson cheeks with eternal kindness. His careful touch sends a jolt up your arm and it also wakes up the moths in your stomach. They chew you from the inside and you hate the intense effect he has over you.

‘Excuse you! I’m not cheating,’ you protest, taking a step backwards so that you can take a deep breath without inhaling his characteristic scent, the mint essence of his presence. He doesn’t come closer until he makes sure that you are ready and you are grateful for his endless patience towards you and your difficult personality. Your sudden mood swings are worse than the apocalypse itself.

You walk side by side and the muteness that fills the void drives you out of the world. It forces you to overanalyze everyone and everything like you always do therefore when you reach the elevator, you are already a volcano on the edge of explosion. The thought that Hoseok hates you for what you said a few moments ago plants a seed in your mind and poisons your brain.

‘But last time when you tried to be nice and romantic, you led me into…’ you start choosing your words carefully but before you could explain him why you were so eager to take the blindfold off, your forehead crashes into something cold and tough. As if history would repeat itself, your boyfriend leads you into the elevator’s frame that kisses your skin roughly. 'Babe, please!’

You shake his hands off of your arms and take a step backwards once again but this time your chest is filled with anger instead of insecurity. Is this for real? That stupid lamp pose on New Year’s Eve wasn’t enough?

'Sorry! But in my defence, you’re the one who is distracting me,’ Hoseok says keeping the distance, gathering his courage to touch your clenched hands. He knows that you’re not furious, that you are not going to leave him alone because of his clumsy action but he’s also aware of the fact that you like to take care of your feelings on your own. He takes a deep breath before he speaks up on a voice so faint it’s barely above a whisper. 'We’re almost there, I promise.’

And he doesn’t lie. Three minutes and two floors later, he takes the textil off of your head and puts it into his pocket while his other hand looks for your shaking one. Your jaw drops to the floor because of the marvelous sight what’s in front of you.

'Surprise! Happy Valentine’s!’ he shouts into your ears and your stomach somersaults as the warm air that leaves his mouth fondles your lobe.

The room that you two are in is familiar yet new - it’s the practice room of the agency on the second floor, the small one that Hoseok loves so much. Now, there is a huge rounded table in the left corner with two wooden chairs, dozens of sparkling candles and delicious dishes.

'Oh my… it’s amazing,’ you whisper under your nose. It’s the most mesmerizing thing you have ever seen and truly the most wonderful gift anybody has ever given to you. You are lack of words and suddenly the pink tie you bought for your boyfriend feels like a joke compared to this dinner.

'Isn’t it? I made them with my own hands so please appreciate every single mouthful of this dinner especially the dessert,’ Hoseok jokes around as he holds your hand and pulls you closer to the table. His genuine smile goes all the way to his ears as his starry gaze glides to you and your lips that are slightly open.

Your dark brows knit to each other in disbelief.

'Oh, really? Last time when I checked it, you were a disaster in the kitchen,’ you make a mockery out of his cooking skills, reminding him for all those times when he cut his finger, set something on fire, broke a chopstick or mixed up the salt and the sugar.

'Cross my heart and hope to die.’ While he speaks, Hoseok puts his hand above his heart, searching for your gaze that sticks onto something much more interesting. A small object on the floor that baths in the candle light, shining like a broken diamond.

'Hah! Beware of your words, mister!’ you treat him after you stand up and walk towards the mirror. For a mere second, you act all confident walking like a star then bend down and pick up that thing that caught your attention. 'It seems, Jin lost his keys.’

You lift it above your head smiling like an idiot. You cannot hide your joy until your eyes meet your boyfriend’s who seems devastated with his arms hanging beside his sides. Regret poisons your veins.

'Damn. I wanted it to be perfect since I…’ he moans between two heavy breaths as if he had balanced on the verge of crying. You have never wanted to hug him so badly before. 'You know… forgot your birthday last week.’

How could you forget? You waited and waited and waited for him for hours until exhaustion took over your body, until the candles burned out, until the dinner became cold and disgusting. You fell asleep in the dining room sitting on a wooden chair using your own arms as a pillow. It was awful.

Yet, seeing him falling into pieces feels worse than anything.

'It’s okay,’ you assure him with a sincere smile and pull him close, resting your forehead on his chest. You cover his body with chaste pecks and kiss him as you hold him tight. You rock him back and forth and confess for the millionth times. 'I love you anyway.’