Longing

Longing

“He even took a few days off to come and hang out with me, which is so rare since he’s always so busy with the group and all, but I’m happy he did it,” Ji Sun grinned, taking a bite of her rice.

She nodded, smiling a bit.

“So, I’m gonna try to be available, but I already have plans and I don’t really want to cancel them, so I may not be able to,” Ji Sun said, sipping at her soup.

“But he took the time off to be with you…”

“Yeah…and? I mean, it’s not like I asked him to. Like I said, I appreciate it but still, I have plans so he should’ve checked with me first before doing it.”

She blinked, staring at her friend in shock.

“Don’t look at me like that, I hate when you do that, that condescending look like you’re so disappointed. It’s my relationship,” Ji Sun frowned.

“You know how hard it is for him to do it, why would you even consider not meeting him?”

“You want me to cancel my plans? That would be rude!”

“It’s your Friday night Karaoke with your friends, you do it every week, c’mon Ji Sun!”

She rolled her eyes, “So? Plans are plans.”

“He would do it for you if he could, hell he is…”

“Whatever, I didn’t ask for your opinion, I just told you about it to make conversation, so just shut up ok? It doesn’t concern you,” Ji Sun snapped.

“Fine, then don’t tell me about your relationship anymore got it? I’m tired of hearing about it,” She said suddenly, gathering her stuff up and storming off, leaving a stunned Ji Sun behind.

She made her way out the café and started down the street, she was tired of it, had been tired of it from the moment Ji Sun had started dating him.

He was Onew from the group SHINee. From the moment she’d told her about him, the moment she’d met him, she’d be hopelessly, desperately in love with him. Onew was everything she wanted in a man and then some. He was kind, funny, caring, considerate and thoughtful. She’d lost count the amount of times they’d had conversations about any and everything while waiting for Ji Sun or during times when a bunch of them had gotten together and they were left alone for whatever reason. He was extremely easy to talk to and smart without being arrogant about it, she longed to hang out with him, to be around him constantly.

She’d fast realized that he was too good for Ji Sun because she treated him like crap. Onew’s job did make their relationship hard, but he always went above and beyond to try to make up for it. He sent her random things at random times, always tried to call her once a day or video chat, but Ji Sun never seemed to appreciate it. She was always telling him how he could do more or tried to guilt him into sending her elaborate things to make up him not being there.

On top of all that, Ji Sun would flirt with men as if she wasn’t already in a relationship with the world’s greatest man. She’d go home with men she met at clubs, but always insisted nothing happened other than talking, no one really believed her, and she didn’t seem to care. When he was home and he’d come to see her, she’d act all sweet and lovey with him, all the while demanding he spend all his time with her. Now his surprise visit for Valentine’s Day, while hard for him to manage, came about and she didn’t even have the decency to adjust her plans to accommodate him when she knew how hard it was for him to shift things to allow him to see her.

She didn’t want to hear about it anymore, not when every inch of her wanted to be the one on the receiving end of his attention and affection, she was done with it.

All his gestures were wasted on Ji Sun, she didn’t deserve him.

~~~

She tore the cellophane wrapper off the box and lifted the lid, removing the light cardboard to reveal several small chocolates laid out in a heart formation and sighed, Happy Valentine’s Day to her. It was the same every year, but it didn’t make it any easier when everyone around her had someone and she was perpetually alone.

She reached out to grab a chocolate and frowned, setting the lid down, she wasn’t so hungry anymore. Not bothering to put the lid back on, they could go stale as far as she was concerned, she headed into the kitchen. After making a pot of ramen and bringing it back over to the table, her phone rang. Reaching out, she grabbed it and saw the name on the caller id, it was Ji Sun. They hadn’t talked since that day in the café and she was ok with that truly.

Sighing, she tapped on the answer button and Ji Sun started talking before she had the chance to say anything.

“You have to help me!! Onew is on his way to my apartment, but I’m not there and he doesn’t have my code!”

“Ji Sun…” she sighed.

“I don’t need you to get all preachy and self-righteous on me right now ok? I don’t want to hear it! Just stall him until I can get there, I’m gonna text him and tell him to meet me there,” she pressed.

“Hey, wait a damn minute…hello? Ji Sun?” She pulled the phone away to see the call ended.

The anger rose fast, just who the hell did she think she was? She tried calling her back, but she wouldn’t answer, she texted, no reply. She couldn’t believe this, it wasn’t as if she didn’t want to see Onew, of course she did, she always wanted to see him it’d been an insanely long time since she had as a matter of fact. The last few times he’d come, she’d been busy at work and he’d only be home for a few days and he’d spent all his time with Ji Sun. While she was upset at Ji Sun for springing him on her like this, she was also happy with Ji Sun for springing him on her like this. It was pure torture, to have him in front of her and her wanting him, longing for him the way she had for so long and not being able to do anything about it.

Quickly she ate and washed the pot out just as the doorbell rang. Her heart started racing the way it always did when he was around, and she hurried over to the door, taking a deep breath before pulling it open to see Onew standing in front of her, a brilliant smile on his face so wide it threatened to buckle her knees.

“Annyong!”

“Onew hi!” She smiled.

Her eyes widened as he came in and pulled her into his arms suddenly, giving her, a gentle squeeze and her heart pounded so hard she felt lightheaded. He smelled amazing and he was so warm and amazing. All too quickly, his arms dropped away, and that glorious heat was gone, and he was looking at her again.

“It has been a long time, it’s good to see you again,” he grinned.

She stared at him for a moment, wanting so much to tell him how much it meant for her to see him.

“Yes, it has. Please, come in,” she said, stepping back to allow him to come in, shutting the door after.

He bowed and pulled his shoes off and followed her in.

“Ji Sun isn’t here yet…” she stopped, turning to look at him.

There was a hint of something close to sadness in his eyes, but was quickly replaced with a softness as he gazed at her.

“That’s ok, it gives us time to catch up.”

“Would you like something to drink?” She offered, needing to find an excuse to get away from him long enough to organize her thoughts.

She didn’t give him a chance to answer but hurried into the kitchen, taking calming breaths. Walking over to the kitchen, she opened the fridge and grabbed a couple bottles of water before whirling around, letting out a startled yell to find Onew in front of her, smiling.

“Sorry! Didn’t mean to scare you,” he chuckled.

She shook her head, handing him a bottle of water.

“Come, let’s talk,” he said, reaching out to take her hand and pulling her out of the kitchen and into the living room, sitting on the couch.

She followed, opening her water and taking a long drink.

“So, how have you been? How is work?” Onew questioned, taking a sip of his water.

“It’s been ok, we’re in our busy season right now, so it’s long hours and not enough rest,” she sighed, the fatigue always present in her body.

Onew frowned and moved in closer to her on the couch, wrapping an arm around her shoulders, “You’ve suffered a lot huh?”

She looked over at him, startled.

“I know how hard it is, but don’t give up, the rewards come to those who do the hard work, hwaiting chingu!” Onew winked.

Friend’

Something at the mention of the word made her heart break a bit and she looked away so he wouldn’t see the tears welling up in her eyes.

“Thanks, Onew, I needed that, really.”

“I know,” he said softly.

She lifted her head to look at him suddenly and his gaze on her was serious and intent. They stared at each other for a few seconds, neither saying anything. Her eyes widened as he moved in closer and she felt herself leaning in close to him, her eyes slowly starting to close just as her doorbell went off again. They both pulled away, the moment shattered as she stood and hurried over to the door, pulling it open.

“I’m here,” Ji Sun said, brushing past her.

She stood there, her heart pounding hard and her face flushed in fear and slight embarrassment.

“Ji Sun?”

She shut the door and turned and watched as Onew pulled Ji Sun into his arms and she slumped back against the door, closing her eyes, her heart breaking more. Slowly she opened her eyes and made her way back into the living room.

“C’mon let’s go, I don’t want to intrude any longer,” Onew said, a slight shakiness in his voice.

“Why the rush? Let’s hang out here for a bit,” Ji Sun said, walking over to the couch to sit.

Onew frowned, “But…”

“Look Onew, I’m tired, I want to relax first ok?”

She looked over at Ji Sun in shock then over at Onew who looked disappointed, but not surprised.

“Yah, this is wrong, we’re intruding. We should go back to your place,” Onew insisted, casting a quick glance at her before looking away again.

“Onew…” Ji Sun sighed.

“It’s Valentine’s Day, don’t you want to spend time together? I was able to get time off to…”

“I know ok!? I know, you keep saying it, I know! You don’t have to keep telling me, I had plans, and I had to cancel them, you don’t see me mentioning it over and over do you?” Ji Sun snapped.

Onew blinked, clearly stunned, “I’m gonna go to the bathroom,” he said suddenly, turning and making his way down the hall.

Once she heard the door close, she walked over to stand in front of Ji Sun.

“What the hell is wrong with you?”

Ji Sun looked up at her, anger written all over her face.

“He’s here to see you, you send him to my place instead of your apartment. You get here, and he wants to spend time with you and you’re blowing him off? You’re the whole damn reason he’s here!”

“I don’t see where this is any of your business,” Ji Sun said angrily.

“You’re at my apartment, you made him come here, you’re sitting on my couch, you’ve made it my business.”

Ji Sun stood, “I’ve just about had it with you sticking your nose in where it doesn’t belong, I’ll handle my relationship the way I see fit, the hell out!”

“No, I’m tired of being quiet, you’ve brought me into this. I’m sick of how you treat him, you’ve got a good man and you treat him like , I can’t stand it.”

“Oh, is that so? Well I don’t give a damn what you think no one asked you!” Ji Sun screamed, standing up and starting towards the door.

“Why? Why are you like this to him? He’s good to you, too good to you, why?”

She had to know, she couldn’t help, she knew she was out of line, but she couldn’t stand it anymore.

“Who says I have to have a reason for what I do? Do you think this is fun for me? My boyfriend is never here, he’s always gone, in one country and then another. I have needs damnit, I need someone who’s here!” Ji Sun complained.

“But you don’t mind him spending money and buying you stuff, do you? You’re not too tired for that are you?”

“It’s the least he could do for keeping me waiting like this, not prioritizing our relationship, I’m damn sure gonna take all I can from him and then some, I deserve it!” Ji Sun said coldly.

She stared at her in shock, “How? How can you treat him like that when I would’ve done anything to be with him? I would’ve done anything to have someone like him, how?” She cried suddenly, unable to stop herself.

Ji Sun gave a harsh chuckle, “Oh please, don’t look at me like that, I’m so sick and tired of your high and mighty act, say all you want, but he’s with me, not you. You don’t think I didn’t notice how you looked at him, the way you acted around him.” Ji Sun said coolly.

She stilled, fear washing over her.

“You think I didn’t know? That longing in your eyes like a damn dog over my boyfriend was disgusting, as if he would ever be interested in the likes of you. I would’ve found it amusing if you weren’t so damn pathetic. It just made me want to rub it in your face more,” Ji Sun laughed. “All those times I left you two together, invited you on our dates, I did that on purpose, just so you could see what you couldn’t have, to teach you not to even think about making a move on my boyfriend.”

She let out a breath, her body shaking hard, she knew, all this time Ji Sun knew and had gone out of her way to exploit the fact that she did, making it even harder on her than it already was.

“It doesn’t matter now I suppose, I’m done with him, he’s all yours if he’ll even have you,” Ji Sun laughed.

She swallowed hard and she noticed Ji Sun’s gaze suddenly resting on something behind her.

“Ji Sun?”

She turned to see Onew standing there and her face lost all color. How long had he been standing there? How much had he heard?

Ji Sun sighed, “Look Onew, let’s end this ok? This isn’t working for me, I need more, I need a boyfriend who’s actually here.”

She brought a hand to , watching in anger as Ji Sun made her way over to Onew, standing in front of him.

“I’m sorry but, I’m done with this relationship, if you even want to call it that,” Ji Sun shrugged.

Onew continued to stare at her, his expression had gone cold.

“So yeah, you can do whatever you want with any of the stuff I left at your place, keep it or throw it out, I don’t really care,” she sighed.

He narrowed his eyes, watching her closely.

“You’re not going to say anything?” Ji Sun frowned.

She watched the two in horror, while Onew was clearly angry, she could also see the hurt in his eyes and that made her even angrier at Ji Sun, she looked away in disgust.

“What do you want me to say? You’ve clearly decided to end this without asking me and I have no desire to refuse,” he said quietly.

“Whatever,” Ji Sun sighed, walking back towards the door.

“Ji Sun?” Onew called out suddenly.

She turned to look at him.

“If you knew how she felt, why would you use that to hurt her? Have you always been this cold hearted and evil and I was just too blind to see?” He said softly.

Ji Sun winced suddenly, a flash of hurt crossing her face for a second. She gazed at her and then at Onew one last time before leaving, slamming the door behind her.

She wasn’t sure exactly what had happened, but it sounded as if Onew and Ji Sun were over. As much as she didn’t want to, she felt a sense of relief, of happiness. It was wrong, he was hurting and all she could think about was that he was finally free. She looked over at Onew to find him staring straight at her intently.

Swallowing hard, she shook her head in disappointment, “I’m so sorry Onew, she was…what she did was wrong, treating you like this after you went out of your way to make time to see her is just…” she shook her head, sighing heavily.

“Ne,” Onew said, still watching her.

She made her way over to stand in front of him, “I wasn’t in on this, I promise. She called me and told me she was sending you over here and hung up before I could…”

She was silenced when he gently pressed a finger to her lips.

“It is ok, you don’t have to explain. I kind of had a feeling that she was hiding something, that something was wrong when she insisted we meet here and not at her apartment. I think on some level I always knew she was unhappy and that she was probably seeing other guys, but I just wanted…” Onew sighed, shaking his head.

“I’m sorry Onew,” she frowned, biting her lip. “I should’ve said something sooner to her, I should’ve been a better friend.”

“Ani, it’s not for you to do that, it’s not your burden to bare. Ji Sun has always been that way, I think on some level, I chose to ignore it because I just wanted to have someone. I thought I could make it work, make it better, but in the end, I failed.”

“It’s not your fault! You’re a great boyfriend, too good for her really,” she said firmly.

Onew smiled suddenly, “Ne, so you’ve said.”

She felt her face flaming and she looked away.

“Oh, what’s this?”

She watched as Onew walked by her and over to the table, looking down at the opened box of chocolates, he sat back down on the couch.

“Did your boyfriend send you some chocolates?” He asked, looking up at her.

“I don’t have a boyfriend, I bought those,” she admitted, feeling decidedly pathetic.

Onew looked up at her, raising an eyebrow, “No boyfriend…hmmm.”

He looked back down at the box, “You should have some.”

She walked back over and sat back down, “Nah, changed my mind, don’t want it anymore.”

He reached out, picking up a piece and holding it out to her, “Here…say ahh.”

She blinked, chuckling a bit, “Onew…”

“Ahhh!” He said, putting the piece to lips.

Shaking her head, she leaned in, biting into the soft chocolate and getting a small taste before pulling away.

“Good!” Onew winked before popping the other half in his mouth, chewing happily.

Her eyes widened, that was an indirect kiss!

“Have another, a whole piece this time,” he said, grabbing another and holding it out to her.

She shook her head, swallowing the bite she had and Onew raised an eyebrow, bringing a hand up to cup her cheek, brushing his thumb over her lips gently. She gasped suddenly, he lips parting and he deftly slipped the piece of chocolate between them. Her eyes widened in shock and he busted out laughing.

“Onew!” She chuckled, chewing on the caramel filled chocolate.

“Yah, you’ll have to get used to that if you’re going to be around me more,” he smiled.

She stilled, swallowing the chocolate in , “Huh?”

Onew stared gently at her, “Well…you said you would treat me better, you would’ve done anything to be with me. I thought maybe…you could show me that.”

She simply stared at him, her heart pounding painfully in her chest.

He slid closer to her, staring at her a moment before reaching out and pulling her into his arms, holding her tightly.

“I know it’s very fast and I don’t know if this is me taking advantage of the situation but…I’d really like to try. I’d like to see what it’s like, us being together. I want to see if all the thought’s I’d had about you all this time, were right as well. If being with you really would make me happier than I’d ever been with anyone else,” he whispered.

She pulled away, “What?”

Onew brought his hands up to cup her face, “The feeling has been mutual apparently,” he sighed.

Her eyes widened, could it really be true?

“You said you would’ve done anything, you don’t have to do anything other than say ‘yes’ ok?”

She swallowed hard, after all this time, all those months and months of wanting him, waiting for him, longing for him, she finally had the chance.

“Yes,” she breathed.

He smiled beatifically at her, “Happy Valentine’s Day,” he whispered a moment before their lips met.