Dandelions are As Dandelions Do

Jung Shin's Testimony

After months of non-stop performances in and out of Korea, CNBLUE finally got a well deserved 3 days break. They all decided to visit their parents, as it had been months since they last met. On the third day, Jung Shin found himself walking to the dorm, smiling happily remembering the last talk he shared with his mother before he went out the door.

“Get a girlfriend and introduce her to me. Better yet, get someone perfect like Seo Hyun” his mother requested.

Jung Shin had laughed, “Omma, there’s no one like Seo Hyun. But maybe I can get someone close to her perfection, if you want it so much”

“I’d love a daughter in law like her”

He said goodbye, and now he was walking through a park near his dorm, deciding that it’s okay to idle a bit, the dorm is empty anyway. He was straightening the heavy bag pack he carried, loaded with his mother’s famous cooking—give this to your Hyungs. Especially your Yong Hyung. He looks so thin the last time I saw him on TV, she had said—when his eyes fell to the unkempt side of the greeneries.

He saw something that caught his attention. So he strolled there for closer inspection.

They were dandelions.

He picked a handful of it and observed it under the lamplight, black hoodie and all.

He was one of the MCs that commented on Hyung and Seo Hyun’s last WGM episode. The analogy about dandelions that Seo Hyun cited was beautiful, but he had to admit that he felt there’s something more in it than his mere brain could digest. But he forgot to ask it the next time he met the real –at the time still—Hyungsoonim.

Jung Shin frowned, and frowned again.

What did she say? Dandelions that fell to the ground are pretty. But you need to do more to make it grow, rooting on the ground. You need to water it, protect it from the sun and the wind…..

“Ah…..HA!” he exclaimed, feeling like he finally get the analogy.

He felt victorious. Like he had achieved first place in a school’s exam.

Wait. Has Hyung knew about this?

Jung Shin sighed, remembering his Hyung. Throughout the virtual marriage, Yong Hyung had been obviously taken by Seo Hyun. But Jung Shin sensed that somehow Hyung was moving too carefully. Which heart Hyung was afraid to break, Jung Shin didn’t know. Hyung’s own heart, Seo Hyun’s, his fans, or everybody’s, no one could tell. Sometimes Yong Hyung thought too much.

He remembered when he found Seo Hyun’s ring in Hyung’s room, he was overjoyed. Though Hyung had threatened to murder him then and there with a kitchen knife if he kept playing and refusing to give back the ring, Jung Shin had played it cool and just plainly asked, “Are you and Seo Hyun together?”

“It’s really none of your business!” Hyung had said then, and Jung Shin remembered his heart sank.

“You’re not?”

“Maknae!!! Give. Me. Back. That ring. Now!”

He had given in and gave Hyung the ring.

Yong Hyung was aggressive. He knew what he wanted, and Jung Shin knew he got enough talent, perseverance, and determination to get far and beyond all of his dreams.

Except with Seo Hyun.

With Seo Hyun, Jung Shin thought, Hyung was too careful. Too afraid to hurt everyone, everything. Well, at least that’s the result of his observations.

Now that he understood this dandelion’s analogy, he’d call Hyung—who’s in Busan—to explain everything to him. Hyung must make the first step, grab Seo Hyun’s hand, and elope to the way the sun went down. Or something close to that.

******************************

“More…..” Yong Hwa begged.

Seo Hyun followed.

“Harder Hyun……”

She put more pressure.

“Not there….move a bit….exactly…..there….” he sighed, “You’re so good…..”

Seo Hyun didn’t change her position.

She was on her knees at Yong Hwa’s bed, busy massaging his neck and shoulders, using her elbow on one point between his neck and shoulder.

“Is this because you’ve been standing long carrying a guitar?”

“I guess…..” Yong Hwa sighed, enjoying her soothing touch. “Look, point your elbow harder and make circular moves”

“It’ll hurt….” she warned.

“I know. But it’ll feel better afterwards.

Seo Hyun took a breath and pushed her elbow as hard as she could, before making small circular movements on that point.

“AH!”

“It hurts, right?”

“Yeah, but it’s okay….”

She stopped when she thought it was enough, massaging his shoulder and neck to smoothen the tight muscles.

“I think it’s better now….” she said.

“It is. Thank you so much” Yong Hwa uttered gratefully, lying on the bed, feeling better than how he felt for months.

Seo Hyun scooted farther to reach her dinner, eating again after the interruption.

“I can order more if you still want that” he offered.

Seo Hyun chuckled, “No. This is enough. Maybe later if I’m hungry”

“Ne”

**********************************

Jung Shin opened the dorm’s door, taking off his backpack and continued to put boxes and boxes of his mother’s food in the fridge. And then he noticed something unexpected. The lights on Hyung’s room was on.

Huh? Did he forget to turn it off before leaving?

Deciding that he’d turn it off—Jung Shin was all save-the-energy-save-the-earth kind of guy—he walked to Hyung’s door.

Only to see the person coming out of the room, holding bowls and mugs in his hands.

“Hyung!”

“Oh? Jung Shin-ah!”

“I thought Hyung is in Busan!”

“I was. I’m back this morning”

“Ah. Why didn’t you call me?”

“Er. Why do I need to call you?”

“To tell me that you’re already here”

Yong Hwa just raised his eyebrows.

Then, Jung Shin remembered something important.

“Hyung! I got it!”

“You got what?”

“The dandelions! I got what Seo Hyun was trying to tell you”

Yong Hwa walked to the kitchen, placing everything on the sink.

“Why suddenly dandelions?”

“I was walking through a park and saw dandelions! See, I even brought some home for further thinking” Jung Shin pointed the kitchen table, where he could see a dozen or so dandelions, creating needless mess.

“You remember right, you asked the difference between love and like to her” Jung Shin began his rant, “I didn’t get what she was trying to say, but I know now, Hyung. It means, if you don’t do anything, she won’t keep on loving you. She wants to be taken care of. She wants you to continue to care. She didn’t want it to end!”

Yong Hwa eyed the maknae up and down, wondering what he should say.

“I’m right, I know it! I just need to let you know, Hyung! I was just going to phone you, but here you are, all the better. You need to stop all this act of being a patient gentleman, or whatever it is you are doing. You need to confess to her now, Hyung. Tonight, before Jin Woon Hyung or Kyu Hyun Hyung or Min Ho Hyung or whoever Hyung take her away from you and—“

“Jung Shin-ah” Yong Hwa cut in, “how many times have I told you to stop trying to meddle into something that’s not your problem?”

“But Hyung! You are my problem! You need to know about this whole dandelions thing! Come to think of it, I think Seo Hyun is very smart, trying to tell you this without being suspicious on national TV and you must—“

“I know about the analogy. She had explained it to me herself”

Jung Shin was beside himself. “So you two are together after all!”

Yong Hwa leaned to the table. “We are, okay. We are. Even before the show ended. Satisfied?”

“Jeongmal?” Jung Shin smiled broadly. “Oooh Hyung! You should’ve told me that! Save me from all the suspense!”

“I’m afraid with your big mouth….” Yong Hwa explained, looking to his dongsaeng who was fishing out his cellphone. “Like now. What are you doing?”

“I’m telling this to Jong Hyun Hyung and Min Hyukkie”

“Jung Shin, there’s no need for that”

“Oh. Really? Wae?”

“Just don’t”

“Fine” Jung Shin relented. Before breaking out in loud clappings.

“Hyung is cool after all! Yaaaah! I was afraid you’d grow old and ugly without Hyungsoonim!”

Jung Shin then took cans of beer from the fridge, “Ah! I’m sooo happy! I want to celebrate! We need to drink, Hyung! Let’s drink in your room” he said, heading to Yong Hwa’s room.

“ANDWAE!!!!” Yong Hwa screamed, effectively stopping Jung Shin on the spot.

“Wae?” Jung Shin asked, shocked to see his Hyung’s reaction. He’s usually not like that. Yong Hyung always allowed his dongsaengs to crash in his room.

“Just. Don’t”

Jung Shin was confused. And then he remembered. Yong Hyung was holding two bowls. Two mugs.

“Is Hyungsoonim in your room?”

The end of the world, Yong Hwa thought.

“No. She’s not”

“Gotjimal!”

Jung Shin looked at the closed door. “If she’s here, I want to say hello. And to say that you should go to Vegas or somewhere to get married secretly”

“You’re crazy” Yong Hwa concluded.

“I’m not. I’m smart. So I’m going inside to meet Seo Hyun-ssi”

Yong Hwa ran to stop him. “No. You can’t! Don’t!”

Yong Hwa barred the way. While Jung Shin said loudly, enough to be heard by the neighbors : “Seo Hyun-ssi! Are you there? Come out. I want to say hi! And you need to taste my Mom’s cooking!”

“Jung Shin-ah….”

“Seo Hyun-ssi, come out. I need to thank you for dating my paboo Hyung!”

“Shut up, Jung Shin! Go eat in your room!”

“Shiro! I want to meet Hyungsoonim! I miss her too!”

Yong Hwa gave up and turned to his room, opening and closing the door to stop Jung Shin from barging in, thanking God that Seo Hyun was standing on the corner, unseen from the door.

She burst into laughters, collapsing on his bed.

“Hahaha! Aigoo! Jung Shin-chingoo is so adorable!”

Yong Hwa leaned on the door, exhausted.

“He’s trouble. And there’s really no need to call him adorable”

“Do let me come out and greet him. It’s been a while since I see him”

“No!”

“Oppa….I’ve told you. Don’t torture Jung Shin chingoo so much. I know now. Like my unnies, he also wants us to be together. We should tell at least your dongsaengs, Oppa. They are your brothers. They’ll be happy knowing you are happy”

Yong Hwa eyed her, calculating.

She made a begging pose with her hands. “Please….?”

“Fine. Okay, you can go and tell him whatever you want. I’m just afraid he’d spill it on a radio show or something”

“I’m sure he’ll be careful”

“Alright. Put on your clothes and comb your hair first” he ordered.

Seo Hyun made a salute to him, similar to the end of Genie dance.

“If Jung Shin sees you this way, he’d collapse to a coma and a pool of nosebleeds”

****************************

A month later, on a talkshow hosted by MC Jake, they were asked, “When was the last time you meet SNSD’s Seo Hyun?”

Yong Hwa answered, “Three months ago, at the Incheon Music Wave” simultaneous with Jung Shin’s “Three days ago”.

There was silence.

Then, the camera managed to capture Yong Hwa’s death glare to Jung Shin.

**************************

Violence was the main theme in CNBLUE’s dorm that night, with Yong Hwa’s attempt to turn Jung Shin into a pulp, Jung Shin’s screams of “Mianheeeee!!! I’ll never do it again, Hyung! I promise!”, Min Hyuk’s pleads of “Hyung, don’t kill him. Please, I’m begging you. We need a bassist Hyung!” and Jong Hyun’s desperate trials and errors of holding Yong Hwa still.

Violence indeed.