Something Suspicious

Jung Shin's Testimony

Jung Shin was not someone fanatic when it came to cleaning up. It was Min Hyuk’s trait, not his. Except that maybe he was having two days off, and got really nothing he wanted to do except staying at the dorm. He spent the previous day lazing around. So, after breakfast, he pondered on what to do.

Yong Hwa Hyung and Min Hyuk were busy shooting Festival, they went early already, even before he woke up. Jong Hyun Hyung was there, but he decided not to bother him since there were piles of DVDs beside the said guy, as he took charge of their sitting room.

Cleaning the place up might do good, he figured.

So Jung Shin took the vacuum cleaner and marched up to clean his room. Having his own room was great. Except that Min Hyuk used to help him tidied up too. Finished with his room, he asked to Jong Hyun good naturedly, “Hyung, want me to clean up your room?”

“Ne? Oh. No, thanks. I already did it”

“Okay”

He peered up into Min Hyuk’s room, scanning it. It was basically tidy, except for the desk. He came in and put everything to its place.

Finally, he opened Yong Hwa’s room.

As he suspected, it was still messy. Tying up his hair and putting his sleeves up, Jung Shin started to clean the room. Yong Hyung was very busy lately, his shooting schedule was busier than Min Hyuk. Humming, Jung Shin took the
sheets from the messy bed, wanting to fold it.

But suddenly, he heard something made a feeble clinking sound on the floor. Jung Shin searched the floor, expecting to find a coin or two. Instead, it was a ring.

Picking it up, he examined it. It’s not too hard to recognize it. Yong Hyung had been wearing it so loyally last year that Jung Shin knew the shape by heart.

But this ring seemed….smaller?

Jung Shin frowned. This didn’t look like something that would fit Yong Hyung’s fourth finger, no matter how slimmer he gets lately.

Could this—

Jung Shin looked at Yong Hwa’s desk. And opened the first drawer. All of their rooms are basically open
for everyone, no one locked their doors except when dressing up, so they all knew where Yong Hwa usually kept his ring.
There was a small box inside the drawer, where he put all of his rings and accessories. Jung Shin thought he should have put it somewhere safer, or it’d get lost amidst the dozens of rings and chains and necklaces.

But maybe Yong Hyung already knew that bad habit, because Jung Shin saw something covered with a handkerchief. Opening up, he found his Hyung’s ring there, safe and sound.

Comparing the two rings in his hand, Jung Shin pondered. 

What is this, did she give this to him to keep? Somehow it doesn’t fit her image…..
 

Except maybe……last night?
 

Jung Shin’s eyes widened. He tried to remember what Yong Hyung did last night. After coming home very late after midnight, he immediately took a shower and went into his room. Everybody then went to sleep.
 

But…..really. Could it be that she and Hyung?
 

He loved Yong Hyung to death. He’s the best leader-brother-friend anyone could have. But, strangely, he hated the idea of his Hyung hiding a big secret from them all. 

It is worth given a prank for, Hyung, don’t you think so?

*********************************
 

“I can’t find it!” Seo Hyun said on the phone, panic evident on her usually calm voice.
 

“Have you checked your bags?” Yong Hwa asked.
 

“I’ve checked everywhere! I must have left it at your place!”
 

“Relax. I’ll search for it when I come home”

“Please find it, Oppa. Please, please, please! I don’t know what I do if I lose it!”
 

“Yah. Just buy it again if it’s lost”
 

“DE? Andwaeyo! It’s not as simple as that! It’s a very precious ring with lots of memories in it and—“
 

“Ahrasseo, ahrasseo. It must be somewhere in my room. I’ll look for it, okay?”
 

“Ne. Please tell me whether you find it or not”
 

“I will, Hyun”.
 

*******************************
 

When Yong Hwa came home around 11 PM that night, he immediately went to his bedroom. He noticed that it was very tidy, but he quickly turned it into a mess again, as he searched everywhere, turning all the lights, scanning every inch of his bed, the desk, and the floor. He was on his knees, looking under the bed when he heard a knock on the door.
 

“Hyung, are you looking for something?”
 

“Oh. Yeah, Jung Shin”
 

He then ignored Jung Shin and used the light from his cellphone to examine under his bed.
 

“Are you looking for this?”
 

There was something in Jung Shin’s tone that made Yong Hwa stopped what he was doing and looked up to him.
 

Jung Shin held what he was looking for. Seo Hyun’s ring. Yong Hwa felt like he was caught red handed smuggling 

to the dorm.
 

Standing up, he slowly reached out for it.
 

“How come Hyungsoonim’s ring is here?”
 

“It’s none of your business, Maknae. Now be nice and give it to me”
 

“Nope” he denied, putting his hand high, effectively using his height as Yong Hwa tried to reach it.
 

“Jung Shin. Don’t play with me. Give. That ring. To me. Now”
 

Grinning, Jung Shin ran. Yong Hwa grunted and chased him. It turned into a chase around the dorm for the next 30 

minutes, letting Jong Hyun and Min Hyuk knew exactly what Jung Shin was holding.
 

*******************************
 

“I’ve found it” Yong Hwa reported breathlessly.
 

“Jinjja? Ooooh, thank God”
 

“Yeah. It’s in my room alright”

“Ah ne”
 

“But there’s a problem”
 

 “What is it?”

 

“Jung Shin knows. And maybe Min Hyuk and Jong Hyun too”
 

“What? But how—how come? I thought we were being quiet last night?”
 

“We did, Hyun, but Jung Shin cleaned up my room, and found the ring, and—well that’s it”
 

“…..Now what should we do, Oppa?”
 

“Hmm? Nothing. You don’t have to worry about this at all”
 

“Does this mean—“
 

“This doesn’t mean anything. I still want you to come here when you can”
 

Seo Hyun sighed on the other line. “Alright. Be nice to Jung Shin-chingoo. Don’t torture him so much”

 

“I can’t promise that”
 

Seo Hyun laughed.
 

“Alright, Oppa. Unnie-deul is calling me. Ne. Annyeong”
 

********************************