Veritaserum

Veritaserum

The finals. Seulgi hadn’t talked to Irene in the past days leading up to this moment, and it showed. Her eye bags were darker than usual, she mulled around within the confines of her room, she was lethargic at training… it was as if the life had been out of her. 

 

As they were lining up against each other on the field, cheers from the entire school resounding around them, Seulgi could hear nothing. She was fixated on Irene, looking for some sign, some signal, some anything. But Irene never lifted her head. Maybe it is too late after all, she thinks.

 

The match was starting. Seulgi felt the familiar high she had before a Quidditch match - her body started feeling jittery, her senses more alerted, her eyes already scanning the horizon for the location of the snitch. She saw Madam Hooch prepare to sound the whistle, but throughout it all, she stared at Irene. Still hoping.

 

Moments before it started, Irene finally looked at Seulgi. Her eyes bore a message loud and clear - don’t throw the match. Or you’re dead. Seulgi nods in understanding. What they had between them should never be dragged into this match - the hopes of their respective houses was on their shoulders. She needed to be responsible.

 

#

 

Seulgi darts to and fro between players trying to catch a glimpse of the Snitch. She was starting to get a little nervous - the score was tied at 90-80, Slytherin in the lead. But the 150 point advantage the Snitch provided meant whoever caught it first won. As she was caught up in her own thoughts, she notices Irene had started a full fledged dive and expected that it was a feint, so much like the one in their first match. (She ignored the tugging on her heartstrings.)

 

Or was it?

 

There was undoubtedly a small, golden ball fluttering where Irene was flying. Oh . She springs into action, willing her broom to go faster, faster, faster. It seemed like a lost cause - Irene had gained that much ground on her - until a Bludger came hurtling out of nowhere and collided straight into her, allowing Seulgi to burst past her and close her fingers on the fluttering Snitch.

 

As Seulgi drifts to the ground, she casts a look at Irene who looked more crushed than she had ever seen her. Irene looks up at her, and for an electrifying second, they hold eye contact, before Irene breaks it and sprints off into the castle. 

 

She instinctively tries to follow her, but is swept up in the victory crowd of Gryffindor, who hoists her up on their shoulders.

 

I don’t have time for this!

 

She looks pointedly at Wendy, pleading her to provide a distraction, and bless the Gods, she leads the Gryffindors in a victory march across the field, letting Seulgi sneak out undetected. (Not before grabbing the bottle of Veritaserum. She needs the truth this time. Irene deserved it.)

#

 

Where is she? Seulgi wonders as she races through the halls of Hogwarts, trying to catch a glimpse of Irene. She finally nears the familiar oaken door of the Charms classroom that once held so many happy memories. This should be it. Nudging the door slightly open, she sees a forlorn figure in the middle of the room, wrapped up in the old bunny blanket Seulgi had conjured up as a gift so many moons ago. 

 

Irene.

 

Seulgi starts to move forward, yet hesitates once again. Was this the right thing to do? Did Irene still want to see her?

 

“What are you here for, Seulgi? Here to mock me? Here to say that you were always the better one?” Irene’s voice came out raspy. 

 

She’s crying. Because of me.

 

“No. I’m here for the truth.” Seulgi replies, holding out the bottle of Veritaserum for Irene to see.

 

“Going to force feed me the truth serum? Ask me for my darkest desires and most humiliating secrets?”

 

“No. I’m here to give me to you. All of me, for all of you.” And she downs the bottle in one gulp. Irene stares at her in shock.

 

“Ask me anything, Irene, and know that I would never lie, never to you. This is my apology for my mistakes, so please, please, let me right my wrongs. Let me lay my heart bare for you.” She treads over to Irene and drops to her knees, pleading eyes locking on Irene’s own dark orbs.

 

Irene stares for a moment. Then she seems to regain her wits.

 

“What are we playing, 20 questions? Alright, I’ll bite. Why did you choose Veritaserum over Felix Felicis? Wouldn’t the latter have guaranteed you success in… whatever you’re trying to do now?”

 

“I wanted you to know the truth, and only the truth. I did not want luck to be the answer.”

 

“Why did you come after me? Why risk your heart being broken when you could be celebrating with your teammates?”

 

“You’re worth a hundred Quidditch Cups to me, Irene. You always will be.”

 

“Only a hundred?” It was layered with a teasing tone that brought a small smile back on Seulgi’s face. This is the Irene I fell in love with all those years ago in Diagon Alley.

 

“Maybe a hundred and one.”

 

She could hear the pout.

 

“Or an infinite amount. We could count the Quidditch Cups together, forever.”

 

“Forever’s a long time, Seulgi. I don’t know if I want to be with you that long.”

 

“But I do. I always have and I always will.” Seulgi stares earnestly at Irene, trying to beam her honesty to her. Because it’s all true.

 

“Then why did you say the things you did?” It came out soft, insecure, and Seulgi hated herself for doing this to her.

 

“I was upset that you couldn’t be more understanding. Having a pig’s tail isn’t exactly a walk in the park, you know.”

 

“Neither is being told I care more about myself than you.”

 

“I… I’m sorry, More than sorry. I just can’t seem to describe this… this gaping hole in my heart, a hole that appeared once I said those horrid words. I’m sorry for going back on my promise to hold you tight, for not making sure you knew how much you meant to me, for not going back to get for your forgiveness…” She trailed off, feeling her voice fail her as constricted with emotion and tears welled in her eyes.

 

“So please, Irene, tell me I’m not to late. Please.” Seulgi could feel herself begging, and she knew she was ditching the last remnants of her pride, but Irene was worth it. She always had been.

 

Silence. Maybe it was too late. Maybe the damage was irreversible. Maybe what she had done was too horrid that she was a fool for thinking she could be forgiven. 

 

Her tears spilled over, dripping onto the carpeted floor of the classroom.

 

“Don’t cry, Seulgi, don’t cry.” She felt Irene’s hand caressing the top of her head gently. 

 

“Just answer me this. Do you love me?” Her voice came out soft and gentle, and filled Seulgi with the courage she needed to say the next two words.

 

“I do.” She looks up and sees Irene staring at her like she was the answer to every puzzle, the key to every lock, the love to her own heart. (How she missed this.)

 

“And I’ll show you.” She leans up and locks her lips with Irene’s own ones, and kisses her with everything she has.

 

(It was all that she had dreamed of and more.)

 

#

 

Seulgi’s spreading butter on her toast in the Great Hall the next morning, surrounded by fans who were applauding her amazing catch in yesterday’s match when the doors slammed open, and Irene stormed inside.

 

Everyone moved apart at once, allowing Irene a straight road to the unsuspecting Seulgi, who was currently engrossed in adding jam and honey onto her toast (because butter just wasn’t enough).

 

“Did she come to curse Seulgi for winning yesterday?” “The two have always been rivals, haven’t they?” Whispers resonated throughout the hall.

 

Seulgi was still blissfully unaware of her surroundings as she attempted to take a large bite from her toast, only to have it whipped out of her hands by Irene, and for soft, plump lips to crash into her own.

 

The hall went silent.

 

“I hope you don’t mind me marking you as mine?” Irene teased, lips drawn in the same smirk Seulgi fell for 6 years ago, just after getting pushed over in a carriage on the Hogwarts Express.

 

“I wouldn’t have it any other way.” Seulgi beamed, as the Great Hall exploded in shock around them. 

 

It was all background noise for Seulgi, for she could only see Irene. And Irene could only see her.

 

As it should be.

 

—End—

A/N: Happy Seulrene Day! Comments are much appreciated :))

Also thinking of making an Irene's POV of the story...