Cotton Candy and Everything Nice

Veritaserum

It was her third year in Hogwarts, and Seulgi had gradually grown used to all the quirks of the school, even if it meant spending most of her lesson with a certain Irene Bae. Speaking of which, Seulgi was starting to get suspicious of the brunette’s beauty. For one, she seemed to be noticing the brunette everywhere she went, even in the Great Hall, or simply when they were walking between classes, and it wasn’t simply noticing, it was straight up staring (and she sometimes thought that Irene would turn her head away when Seulgi looked at her, which meant that she was looking at Seulgi too.)

 

This was worrying, obviously. For one, there was no sane reason why Seulgi would even bother to look at Irene. Which led her to her second problem - as much as she hated to admit it, puberty was doing wonders for Irene. And Seulgi was only human (which meant that she stared. A lot. At the epitome of beauty that was Irene Bae.). Sure, she was pretty even before this, but she looked so ethereal now that Seulgi was starting to wonder what sort of magic this was.

 

And as Valentine’s came round the corner, it finally hit Seulgi. Love potions. Of course, how and why else would she start to think Irene Bae was pretty? She must have spiked her drink when she wasn’t looking, causing all these weird feelings to appear out of nowhere. It all made sense now. Now, she just had to be super careful of what she was drinking, and after 2 weeks, the uninvited feelings would disappear.

 

(She remembered asking Wendy how long love potions took to wear off. “2 weeks, why would you want to know? Did you spike someone’s drink? Maybe someone like, I don’t know, Irene?” She said, wiggling her eyebrows suggestively. Seulgi choked. “Oh please, I would never, ever, want such a monstrosity to fall in love with me.”

 

“Then you wouldn’t mind if I told you tons of other people have been attempting to spike her drink then, what with Valentine’s just around the corner.” Wendy said, smirking.

 

“Nope, not at all.” Seulgi had replied confidently, popping the ‘e’. (This didn’t stop her from ‘accidentally’ bumping into Irene during dinner, causing her drink to fall out of her hand, when she thought she saw a random fourth year slip something into her drink minutes before, causing Irene to yell at her. Nope, she did not care at all.)

 


 

It had been two weeks. And Seulgi still somehow noticed Irene everywhere she went. More now than ever, if that was possible. Valentine’s was tomorrow, and Seulgi was dateless. Even Wendy had a date, Eun Ji from Hufflepuff. (She thought Eun Ji and Wendy were a match made in heaven, both had wonderful smiles, angelic voices, and a heart of pure gold.) All the third years were planning on spending their weekend at Hogsmeade, this being their second allowed trip to the Wizarding village, and what better way to spend it then with your date?

 

Seulgi had seen the village from her dorm’s windows, and the place had been spiced up with Valentine’s decorations and goods, with heart shaped decorations dangling from every tree, and a sappy pink aura surrounding the place.

 

“Seulgi. Earth to Seulgi. Are you still with me?” Wendy’s voice penetrated her thoughts. “Sorry, what were we talking about again?” Seulgi shook her head, waking up from her stupor.

 

“We were talking about how you should stop staring at Irene, and instead ask her whether she has a date, and if she doesn’t, ask her to be your date. You’re literally looking at her with heart-shaped eyes, you know?”

 

“The only reason is because she spiked my drink with a love potion, Wendy, I told you this like a million times before. The immense and immeasurable hate I have for her is obvious, seeing as I’m still impervious to her charms, even after consuming such a strong love potion that would have made anyone else her .” Seulgi said confidently.

 

“Seul, you’ve been drinking out of a hip flask for the past two weeks. There was no way she could possibly have spiked your drink. And to be honest, she probably never did and you’re just in denial.”

 

Seulgi rolled her eyes. People called her slow, but when it came to Irene, Seulgi swore Wendy was a sloth. “Please, Wendy, I hate her. With every micrometer of my body. Don’t you remember last week when she purposely knocked over my drink for no reason, causing all of it to spill onto my Transfiguration notes?”

 

“You know she only did that because someone knocked over her drink for no reason the day before!” Wendy argued, knowing that Seulgi actually did have an ulterior motive for doing that, but not wanting to let Seulgi know that she knew.

 

Seulgi shrugged. “She totally deserved it for being such a to me all the time.”

 

“Hi Wendy-unnie! Hi Seulgi-unnie!” Yeri and Joy, Irene’s friends, had bounded over from their shared table.

 

“Hi!” Wendy and Seulgi both smiled back. These two were, although as cunning as satan himself, great and loyal friends to hang out with. The only problem was Irene, Seulgi thought. If she wasn’t in the picture, life would have been perfect.

 

“Seulgi-unnie, do you have a date for tomorrow?” Yeri asked, batting her eyes innocuously, in a bid to not raise suspicion. “No… Why? Do you want to be my date?” Seulgi smiled seductively, and leaned forward, trying to capture Yeri’s eyes in her own mono lidded ones.

 

“Yeri’s mine, Seulgi-unnie.” Joy’s cold voice cut through the sappy atmosphere. “I was just kidding, Joy, of course I know she’s yours. But why do you want to know, though?” Seulgi asked.

 

“Oh, it’s nothing. Thanks unnies!” Yeri said happily, and bounded back to the table they shared with Irene.

 

“That was… odd.” Wendy remarked. Seulgi nodded in agreement.

 

(She couldn’t help but notice how Irene seemed to perk up when the duo returned, and smiled brightly after Yeri appeared to tell her something.)

 


 

 

Valentine’s Day. Literally everyone in Hogwarts was in Hogsmeade, and would probably remain there till the night - a fireworks show had been promised by the Weasley’s, and as everything was with the Weasley’s, it was expected to be epic. All talk amongst the year 3s had been going to Hogsmeade, and it was easily the most anticipated event of the school year.

 

Meanwhile, Seulgi was in bed, and had absolutely no intention of going to Hogsmeade, even if it meant she would miss the fireworks show of the year - it was better than third-wheeling with a couple. She had attempted to go to Hogsmeade today, only to be completely and utterly shocked at the ridiculous amount of couples going - as if everyone who was going was going with their significant other. It was ridiculous. She remembered Wendy giving her an apologetic look, and she had smiled and said it was alright, she was tired anyway, and would be going back to sleep. (She was not tired because she had spent the night imagining how it would have felt to go on a date to Hogsmede with Irene. Not at all.)

 

Seulgi woke up around evening, and groggily remembered Oh , there’s the fireworks show!, which resulted in her stumbling out of her common room in a bid to find a better place to view the fireworks. (Yeri had told her that the Charms classroom on the top floor was the perfect place, and Seulgi was headed there now.)

 

She rounded the corner… and whipped back so fast she swore she sprained her back in the attempt. After all, she could have sworn she saw Irene’s silhouette right in front of her, which made no sense whatsoever, as why would Irene not have a date of all people? She was a living goddess! And it appears Irene is headed for that Charms classroom too, Seulgi thought.

 

As if some invisible force was compelling her, Seulgi crept after Irene. She had just entered the classroom, and Seulgi, not wanting to lose sight of her, quickened her pace and sneaked through the door of the Charms classroom when…

 

Stupefy! Accio wand!” A familiar husky voice shouted out, and a jet of red light hit Seulgi right in the chest as her wand flew out of her grasp. Seulgi jerked around in a panic, and to her horror, found that she couldn’t move her hands, or legs, or anything, for the matter. She darted her eyes around wildly, before she saw Irene, smiling triumphantly.

 

“Poor old Sluggie, did you really think I didn’t notice you trailing me?” Irene sighed, starting to walk in circles around the stunned Seulgi. “And now you’re stunned, I have both our wands, and nobody is going to come into this classroom until the fireworks display is over, which is not for another hour. What am I going to do with you?” Irene mocked, waving Seulgi’s wand tauntingly over her face.

 

Seulgi groaned internally. I hate this girl so much, words can’t possibly describe what I feel now, she thinks, and she rolls her eyes at Irene as condescendingly as she possibly could. “Oh, you still have the gall to roll your eyes at me? Despite knowing that I have all the power here?” Irene smirked, and it was seriously starting to give Seulgi the creeps. (It wasn’t pretty, not at all).

 

Alarte Ascendare!” And Seulgi felt herself rise up into the air. She wanted to scream, for someone, anyone, to give her help, but she couldn’t open even if her life depended on it (which it very well could, she had no idea what Irene would do to her). The floating feeling suddenly disappeared, and she felt herself free falling as her stomach lurched and her body plummeted.

 

‘Ouch! That looked like it hurt, Seulgi, did it?” Irene mocked, seeing Seulgi on the floor, battered and bruised, and still very much stunned. “Hmm, it’s not fun if I can’t hear your screams, but I still don’t want you running away… I know! Locomotor mortis!”

 

Seulgi felt her legs clamp together, but the upper part of her body, including her face, could move once more. She quickly felt her nose, she swore she broke it when she fell just now. It wasn’t broken, thank God, but she did have scratches and bruises all over her arms and legs. Seulgi scowled. She was still powerless, and seeing as how Irene was completely willing to just toss her body around as a ragdoll, she had to do something if she wanted to get out of here alive.

 

“Poor old Sluggie. Whatever should I do with you now?” Irene wondered out loud, as she continued pacing around the classroom, hands on her chin, as if deep in thought.

 

“You could duel me. You would lose anyway, that’s why you resort to such underhanded tactics like sneak attacking me when I wasn’t looking. I just came here to view the fireworks anyway.” Seulgi retorted back.

 

“I, lose? In a duel with you? Oh please, Sluggie, we both know you’re obviously lying.”

 

“Return my wand and we’ll see.”

 

“Hmm…” Irene pretended to ponder over the suggestion.

 

“I don’t see why I don’t win this duel, so why don’t we duel again in 2 days? In fact, why not we duel every two days? Loser has to take all the curses the winner throws at her with no complaints for the two days before the next duel.” Irene suggested.

 

Seulgi tried hard not to hide her smile. Yes, she was happy that she could duel Irene Bae and potentially trash her, but she was more happy she could see Irene personally every 2 days. She still had to put on the facade though, Irene didn’t need to know how whipped Seulgi was for her. No, I’m not whipped, I just want to win against this monster so she knows how losing feels.

 

“Where would we duel?” She asks.

 

“Here. No one comes here, and its sound-proof and poltergeist-proof, meaning Peeves can’t get in.”

 

“Okay. So, what happens now?”

 

Irene dangles her wand in front of her. “You said you wanted to watch the fireworks, right? Well, if you can crawl over here and get your wand from me, then you can watch it from this window. Otherwise, I guess I’ll just enjoy the fireworks myself.” Irene said, smirking, whilst going to close the curtains on all the other windows except the one furthest from Seulgi. God, what a sadist. Seulgi thinks, and she’s seriously starting to hate that smirk Irene wears whenever she talks to Seulgi.

 

“C’mon Sluggie, if you don’t start crawling now, you’re going to miss it!” Irene taunts, again waving her wand. Seulgi groans, and starts crawling, trying to ignore the stare Irene was giving her.

 

“You know, you could just un-curse me, and I could just walk there, and we could watch the fireworks.” Seulgi says after 5 minutes. “Ah, but where’s the fun in that? Besides, I won the duel, so you have to listen to me.” Irene replies, a smile on her face that could light up the darkest corners of anyone’s (not just Seulgi’s, so technically she’s not whipped) heart. Seulgi shakes her head. “It’s impossible, and you know that as well. The fireworks are starting in -” She turns to look at the clock, “the next minute. There’s no way I can get that in 60 seconds.” That’s because you’re a dumb bear Sluggie, if you would just crawl faster you could make it.” Irene taunts her yet again. Seulgi doesn’t want to admit it, but she does quite like this version of Irene. She seems almost… cute. Still, there’s no way Seulgi would be able to see the fireworks. Time’s almost up, and Irene still hasn’t uncursed her yet, or drawn back the curtains. She sighs. And Wendy was going on about how spectacular it would be too.

 

“What’s the matter, Sluggie, given up?” She hears Irene ask. “Yes, you win, there’s no way I can get there in 45 seconds.” Seulgi replies. She looks up at Irene, and looks away almost immediately, as what she sees in Irene’s eyes makes her feel things that she shouldn’t be feeling. (It’s the love potion! Her brain screams.) She hears Irene’s soft, padded footsteps grow louder and her familiar lavender scent invades her nostrils.

 

“Seulgi. Look at me.”

 

It’s not a request, it’s a command. Seulgi can barely resist, and she turns up to look at Irene in her eyes, those warm, brown orbs, that contain galaxies and stars and everything Seulgi has ever wanted, or would ever want. She feels Irene slowly close the distance between them, as Irene’s gaze grows tender, and Seulgi feels as though Irene is looking at her, and only at her, and it makes her heart beat faster, faster than she thought it ever could. Irene slowly leans in, and her gaze captivates Seulgi, who just stares, and stares, at the living embodiment of beauty that is Irene Bae, and she closes her eyes, sure of what is to come.

 

Seulgi waits, and waits, and waits… and hears the rush of curtains being drawn, and Irene’s high pitched laughter piercing the air. “HAHAHA, oh my god, Seulgi, you were so funny! It was like you thought I was going to kiss you or something! I just wanted to draw back the curtains for you to see the fireworks, you dumb bear!” Irene rolled around the floor, tears in her eyes as she laughed. Seulgi stared at her blankly. She was so sure Irene was going to kiss her… she bowed her head, cheeks tinged in red from embarrassment.

 

‘Bang! Bang!’

 

The sound of fireworks resounded from Hogsmeade, shaking Seulgi from her stupor. “It’s beautiful, isn’t it?” She hears Irene next to her and almost jumps - then realises her legs are still bound together. “Yeah… it is.” She mumbles, and whispers under her breath, “But not as beautiful as you.” And maybe she was just imagining it due to the colors from the sky, but she swore she saw Irene’s cheeks blush a deep hue of red as she snuggles closer to Seulgi, the sky in front of them illuminated with shapes of hearts and candy and everything nice.

 

The fireworks show slowly comes to an end, and Seulgi wonders, what’s going to happen now? After what happened here tonight? She turns towards Irene, who is, again, gazing at her as though she, Seulgi, was her entire universe. Irene leans in again, and Seulgi again closes her eyes, for it’s better, she thinks, to be embarrassed again then to miss the chance of feeling Irene’s lips on hers. And she’s not let down, as she feels Irene plant a kiss, soft and gentle and oh so caring, on her forehead, and whispers in Seulgi’s ear in a tone layered with warmth and honey, “Thank you.”

 

And as Seulgi was basking in the aftermath of having Irene kiss her, she heard a thud on the far side of the classroom as Irene stood up. “Have fun crawling after your wand, Sluggie! See you here Thursday!” Irene mocked as she strode towards the door, giggling. Seulgi groaned. This girl was going to be the death of her.

 


 

“Why do you look so happy? You didn’t even go to Hogsmeade.” Wendy asks, hands on hips, eyes in full interrogation mode. “It’s nothing. Let’s go to sleep, Wanda.” Seulgi replies with a full blown grin on her face.

 

Wendy sighs. Her friend could be so weird at times.