Chapter 2

of Scissors and Strings

He isn’t going to do anything. He is just going to sit there and smile like his heart hasn’t just broken in two. Jimin is used to this, the constant let down because things didn’t go the way he wanted them to. He feels like a spoiled brat, he thinks. He is a grown man and he shouldn’t be whining about it. He knows that you can’t cut the string, oh he wishes you could, but he can’t. There is a reason it's called the red string of fate. You can’t go against it.

 

They were supposed to be adding the final touches to the venue but Jimin can’t focus on much so he chooses to sit there in silence for the rest of the meeting, not that it’s much of a surprise. During these kinds of meetings, he doesn’t tend to say much. He’d much rather be in the studio, practicing the choreography for the recital. His eyes close as he thinks of the music in his ears, the sway of his arms. He thinks of the elegant spins, the high jumps, and the low drops. Actually, he needs to practice a few parts of the choreo, he remembers stumbling during a couple of the spins. Jimin opens his eyes to be greeted by the sight of Hoseok smiling at him brightly.

 

“Okay, so you know how the music sounds dark and romantic? I feel like it would sound so much better in the performance hall if it was played using a piano.” Hoseok’s hands clap together as he explains his brilliant idea, his eyes bright.

 

Jimin perks up at this, “but we’ve been practicing to the track this whole time! We only have a couple of weeks left till the recital.” This is the first time he has heard of this. They have been practicing with the music from his phone this whole time. To change it this close to the performance doesn’t make any sense. They are going to have to practice with the pianist for a couple or more sessions so they can get the timing perfect and hope that whoever is playing the piano doesn’t mess up.

 

“Don’t worry, we have someone who is a pro at playing. The tempo is the exact same as the song. It sounds no different.” Jungkook looks way too excited at the prospect of a piano accompanying them, but they’ve never done this before, so Jimin can understand.

 

“I really hope so, Jungkook.”

 

 

Waves are crashing against the shoreline, wetting Jimin’s feet. He decided to come to the beach after the meeting. He wanted to forget about Seulgi, although he doubts he will be able to. He is walking along the shoreline, to who knows where. Far ahead of him is someone walking as well. Their feet are covered and they are walking farther in the water than where Jimin is. Aren’t their feet cold?

 

He guesses that they don’t care as the person turns to stare out into the sea, hands limp by their sides. He is still for a while, not moving from his position. Jimin keeps walking and he can see them better. He stands there, headphones covering his ears. His head is bobbing to the music. Jimin walks past him, not wanting to interrupt their peace and continues to an area that has rocks. Skipping the first rock, he watches it skip four times before sinking. He remembers skipping rocks with his parents when he was younger although he hasn’t gone with them in a long time. He picks up a second stone to skip when he hears someone’s boots crunch on the stones. Looking up, he recognizes the person as the man from earlier. Jimin smiles at him and the man stands there staring at him, hands in his pockets. He stares at him for a couple seconds before going to pick up a couple rocks for himself and throwing it into the water. It skips against the water 2 times before sinking. Jimin swears he hears the man scoff before he throws another rock. Jimin chuckles to himself and throws another rock, smiling to himself as he does so.

 

“Do you come here often?” His deep voice surprises Jimin, the gravelly sound pleasing to his ears.

 

“I used to come here a lot, but I haven’t been in a while. You?” Jmin glances at the man out of the corner of his eyes and looks away when he notices him watching him.

 

“I’ve never been here before, just wanted to come watch the waves.” The man shrugs, eyes looking up towards the clouds.

 

“Sorry, I didn’t introduce myself. Park Jimin.” He holds his hand out for him to shake, and the man grasps it, his larger hand enclosing his. Jimin notices his string. It’s cut much like his, frayed ends looking like Taehyung’s dog chewed on them. He doesn’t pay much mind to them. Not everyone can be blessed with a soulmate, including him.

 

“Min Yoongi.”

 

“It’s nice to meet you.” Jimin smiles as they shake hands, and Yoongi just stares at him.

 

“How come your rocks go so far? Mine only skip twice before sinking.”

Jimin looks up from where he was gathering rocks and looks to the rock in Yoongi’s hand.

 

“It’s because you need to get flat rocks. The ones you are throwing are all round.” Jimin helps Yoongi look for rocks, both of them walking crouched across the ground. He looks up a little too late as he bumps against Yoongi’s back. Jimin jumps up after realizing what he did. His hand comes up to rub his forehead and he mutters an apology.

 

“Sorry, I didn’t see you.”

 

Looking at him from the ground, Yoongi tells him not to worry about it. He goes back to collecting rocks soon after.

 

“Okay, so when you’re throwing them, try to throw them like a baseball. It helps to keep the rock level with the water.”

 

Yoongi tries throwing it like Jimin Told them to and after a few unsuccessful trials, one rock skips for a good 30 seconds before sinking.

 

He turns to Jimin with a smile on his face, eyes crinkled.

 

“Thank you.”

 

 

 

 

They talk for a while before Yoongi says goodbye and heads on his way. Jimin, noticing that it is much darker than it was when he arrived starts to make his way back too. On the way back to his apartment, he thinks about Yoongi and a smile blooms across his face. How nice would it be to have a friend like him? He seems so accepting and peaceful Jimin can’t help but want the friendship. He really hopes Yoongi is there next time he goes to the beach because he plans on making him one of his friends, whether he likes it or not. He chuckles a little as he thinks about it, he sounds so pushy. Jimin feels like he could talk to him about anything and Yoongi wouldn’t judge, just nodding his head the way he does. Jimin really hopes that Yoongi sees him as someone he could be friends with like he does. He hopes that Yoongi is at the beach whenever Jimin is there, not seeing him as annoying and not coming to the beach anymore.

 

Jimin walks into his apartment a little bit later, cheeks red from the cold. He thinks about the dance recital and piano accompaniment and hopes that the pianist is as good as Jungkook says. He hasn’t met him yet, so he wouldn’t know but he’ll take Jungkook’s word for it.