Chapter One

of Scissors and Strings

Jimin was cold.

It was the beginning of fall and it was unusually cold. Everyone was bundled up in thick jackets and scarves. He was walking to campus and along the way were numerous couples. They were all cozy with each other, hugging, holding hands and everything else under the sun. He even saw a couple sharing a scarf. Wasn’t that uncomfortable? This was too much for him, it angered Jimin. He didn’t need to be reminded of his loveless life wherever he went. He sighed as he spotted a couple making out on a bench. They appeared happy, wrapped up in each other's arms. They broke apart and they were flushed, smiles on their faces. One was laughing at something their partner told them. Their partner looked on in adoration. Jimin looked closer at them. A red string was connected to each of their pinkies. The man’s string was abruptly cut, while his partner's was leading off to someone else. Annoyed, Jimin kissed his teeth and kept walking. He didn’t see the point in dating someone you weren’t connected to. They are going to break up soon anyway. His partner will leave him for someone else and he will be heartbroken. It’s better to just live with yourself.

Jimin is able to see the red string of fate. No one else he has met has been able to see it except for him. You aren’t connected to someone from birth. It happens as you grow up and meet different people. The string develops as your personality develops, eventually connecting to your soulmate. They may not be your perfect match, but they will be what you need. Jimin thinks that they will understand you when others don’t, laugh along at your jokes that no one else seems to find funny. He hopes that happens to him, but then he remembers, it won’t.

He looks down at his hands as he walks, the red string on his finger cut. It was dangling there, threads swaying in the breeze. It looks like someone cut it with dull scissors the ends were so rough. Sometimes he wonders if the gods are playing a joke on him, punishing him for what he has done in the past. Jimin doesn’t know what he did wrong, but it must have been grave for him to lose the possibility of losing his chance to meet his soulmate.

He is in the building now, the warm air swirling around him and warming his cold body. He breathes in the stale university air,  breathes in the smell of bad B.O and cheap perfume. Jimin pushes the negative thoughts to the back of his mind. He doesn’t want to burden any of his friends with his somber expression if he were to run into any of them.

Just in time too, he thinks, as someone taps him on the shoulder.

“Jimin!”

He turns around and comes to face his friend Seulgi. A light blush taints his cheeks as he smiles at her.

“Are you going to the meeting today?” She’s so cute as she stands there, her hands tucked deep into her pockets. A bright smile graces her face as she stands waiting for his response.

So cute….

Jimin stares at her with a soft look in his eyes, staring at her in silence. Completely forgetting to answer her question, he asks her if her lectures are over.

“I have to run some errands, but I’ll be there after. See you!” She waves as she jogs away, Jimin staring after with the same expression frozen on his face.

Jimin has had a crush on her for the past two years. He only thinks he has a chance with her because she hasn’t found her soulmate yet either. Hopefully, she’ll start to fall for him too if he hangs around her more often and tries to woo her. He really hopes he has the courage to do that. Knowing him though, he is going to continue to harbor his feelings for a long while.

His fingers automatically make their way through his hair, a coping mechanism he had subconsciously developed. As his hand comes back down, something feels different. It feels heavier, not as weightless as it felt before. Shrugging it off, he makes his way to his last lecture of the day, yawning as he goes.

 

 

Walking out of his last class, Jimin finally feels the stress of the day finally come off of his shoulders. Jimin makes his way to the washroom to empty his too full bladder. He swears hates three-hour lectures. Now he stands in front of the mirror, staring at himself. As usual, he picks out all the flaws that he wishes he could fix. From his too round face to his acne scars on the sides of his face. He hates everything about himself, he thinks, as he stands there. He gets tired of himself really quickly and rolls his shoulders a couple of times to relax his muscles before he makes his journey to the clubroom to meet with his friends. When he arrives, they are all seated around a large table, various documents and posters spread out in front of them.

 “You finally showed up, you .”

Jimin thinks he didn’t take too long in the washroom, but he guesses they feel different. He smiles at Hoseok as he looks at the clock. Cringing, he realizes that it's been thirty minutes since the club started.

“Sorry, I got caught up with something.” Jimin makes pleading hands in front of his face as he winks at his club members, but they pout back at him.

“We thought we were your favourite?”

Jimin chuckles as he puts his bag on the floor and pulls out a chair to sit. “You are.”

He’s looking over the posters for the upcoming dance recital when Jungkook elbows him in the ribs. Looking to him, Jungkook jerks his head in the direction of the door.

Seulgi stands there, hands full of posters. No one has made a move to help her, every one of the members is staring at him. Sighing, he pushes his chair back and goes to help her with the posters. They giggle as he blushes when his hands brush hers, hands covering their mouths and their obvious smiles.

Jimin guesses he hasn’t been that discreet in his affection for Seulgi, but if she hasn’t noticed yet, that’s all he cares about.

He puts the papers on the table and makes his way back to his chair when he looks up and freezes.

Seulgi’s string has connected to someone, and it’s not him.