- 3 -

Oneirism
Please log in to read the full chapter

“Do you remember when we used to share a tiny room back in Chicago?”

“Oh yes, how could I forget. You used to wake up at seven every Sunday, make the strongest coffee ever and play these cheesy songs over and over again”

Yuto smiled warmly, taking a sip of his mug.  7 years later we were in the same position, cuddling on the couch with the radio playing in the kitchen. Who would have thought?

“We were happy, Sandra. That’s all that matters”

I sighed.  “I know. I wish I could go back, somehow”

He pated me on the head, running his fingers through my hair.

“Me too, love.  Me too…”

I was in Japan for a month now. When Yuto called me saying that he reserved a one-way ticket to Tokyo I felt like God stretched out a hand to me. I thought the world was going to end – and in a way, it did. The world as I knew it was dead; there was no going back. Working like a slave for the past few years taught me a valuable lesson: take nothing for granted.  I only felt sorry for my parents who never stopped to put their trust in me. How badly did I fail them.

“I have a business meeting tonight, but after I’m free. Wanna go out?”

“Only if there’s nothing crazy”

Yuto laughed and stood up.

“Crazy is my middle name, love”

---

My reflection smiled at me from the mirror. Even my mom wouldn’t recognize me.  With my shoulder length, wavy blonde hair and mid-thigh black dress I could pass for a different person.  If only I could change my inside, too.

Like usual, I preferred to walk to my destination than to take a taxi. Yuto texted me the address earlier, promising to not being late. Tokyo was indeed a beautiful city. It had a unique charm, that kind of vibe that made you fell hard and never want to leave it. I could see myself growing old in this city, walking these beautiful streets hand in hand with Yuto, listening to cheesy love songs and spending my nights exploring the city.

But first things first: I needed to get a job. My savings weren’t going to last forever.

As soon as I turned the corner I saw our friend Hiro leaning on wall.

“You’re a little late, miss.”

He dropped his cigarette on the ground, stepping on it.

“You’ll have to excuse me, sir”

Hiro took my hand in his, getting us inside.

“Maybe if you wouldn’t always walk and take a freaking taxi instead, you wouldn’t be late.”

 “Nah, I’m good”

“Then put more close on yourself. I swear, sometimes I think you’re doing it on purpose, just to give me a mini ”

I took a seat at the bar and Hiro ordered two glasses of white wine.

“Well, if you say it like that…”

He threw me a deadly look, making me laugh. Hiro was one of Yuto’s old friends, and also one of the first people to welcome me with open arms, never put a question about my past and helping out whenever I needed a thing. He was a good person, one of the purest souls out there.

“So, did you start looking for a job yet?”

“No. But I’ll start soon”

“I found you something.  It’s at a library, and you don’t actually need to talk so all for the better.”

I put my hand on his, smiling warmly.

“Thank you, It sounds really grate”

Hiro held my hand tight, his gaze serious.

“You know that I’m always there for you, right? In all aspects”

I nodded. He his lips, leaning closer.

“Listen, I need to…”

“Sandra! There you are” 

Yuto appeared on my left side, putting his arms around me.

“This place is full! It took me forever to find you!”

I rolled my eyes, letting my hand fall back on my lap.

“It’s not that big, Yuto”

“Yeah, yeah sure”

He took the seat behind me, sipping from my drink.

“Why you always drink this crap anyway?”

I took my glass back, drinking the rest of my wine and ordering another.

“You have no taste, dummy”

“Well, miss I always keep some 20 years old wine in the fridge, some of us, like me and this ugly face, grew up with ty liquor mixed with soda, not with this thing” he said, pointing to my drink.

Hiro threw some used napkins at him and Yuto gave him the finger.

“Guys, not again, please. I want to enjoy

Please log in to read the full chapter