Chapter 1

Mirror Image
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

First day of school. It should have been a big day for me. Starting senior year at Busan High School. I had imagined my entrance a thousand times. I would be wearing my newly-bought ripped jeans from the thrift store on 4th street, my black shirt where I painted a replica of Starry Night on,  my old black Doc Martens, my dad's old messenger bag (I don't do backpacks), and my best accessory, my boyfriend Kim Jaejoong, senior soccer star and the most popular male in all of Busan High. We had just gotten together over the summer break when life took a tragic turn, forcing me to move to this place. So I had two great months with the guy I had been crushing on since I was 10, then it was all over.

 

And now I had to get ready and face the hardest year of my life. New school, new family.

 

I looked at  the painting beside my bed. A big, beautiful landscape showing the coastline of Corfu. This was where my dad and I had our last Christmas together. We loved travelling, going to exotic places and trying different things. At 17, I've travelled to more than 20 countries with my dad. I've had a lifetime of memories in those travels, from swimming beside whale sharks in Cebu, Philippines to eating dollar ice creams at Singapore and sitting at the balcony of our rented villa in Greece, watching my dad paint the masterpiece in front of me. It was the last painting he was ever to going to make. Two weeks after that trip he found out about his disease, and barely 5 months later, he was gone. 

 

I found out about the cancer  when I got back from the annual family trip with the Jaejoong's family. Dad didn't go because he said he had too many  clients who needed him. Although he was recognized as a painter, he also owned a gallery in the city, and it's true that his clients can be demanding at times. Turns out, he was making arrangements, finalizing his last will and  testament, fixing funeral details, etc. He had everything planned out, all he forgot to do was tell me. He forgot to tell me he had mere months to live, until it was too late and all I could do was bring him to the hospital and watch him waste away. I would hate him if I didn't miss him so much. But despite all his planning, my dad was not able to prepare me for the biggest challenge that would happen if he died, living with my mom.

 

I sighed as I heard a soft knock on the door. "Yes?"

 

"If you want to hitch a ride with me, I'm leaving in 15 minutes. I'll wait for you downstairs. If you're not there, you'll have to take the bus to school," a soft voice answered. Chaerin, my  sister. Yep, one more thing my dad forgot to tell me, apparently I'

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter