Two

In The Darkness Of You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Jieun woke up to the smell of brewing coffee and the sun rays falling on her face through the slightly opened curtains. She opened her eyes and it took her a while to remember where she was.

She was at Mark and Jackson's house. She was surprised by how good she'd actually slept. She didn't think she'd be able to since it wasn't a familiar environment for her and well, let's just say the sofa wasn't the comfiest sleeping place. 

"Good morning, sunshine", Jieun heard Jackson playfully say to her from behind the kitchen counter.

"Christ, you scared me", she replied with a mental scream, hand on her chest. She'd been so used to living alone and she could swear he wasn't standing there just a minute ago.

Jieun saw him smirk while he poured himself coffee in a white cup. "You want some?" he offered.

She nodded. "Yeah. Coffee would be good, thanks." she got up from the sofa and straightened her clothes which she'd slept in. She walked in the kitchen and took the cup Jackson was holding out for her.

She heard footsteps behind her and soon Mark joined their company. 

"Morning", he yawned. Jieun took a few steps back and admired as they continued doing their morning routine almost in perfect sync. The two of them reminded her of herself and Eunji when they used to live together, making breakfast every morning. It was nice. You don't realize how much you miss the little things like that until you no longer have the chance to do them.

"Do you want something to eat?" Mark asked her. She snapped out of her thoughts and looked at the clock on the wall. It was eleven in the morning. She figured Youngjae would be up by now.

"I'm fine, thanks. I'm going to head over to Youngjae's. I have something I need to talk to him about", Jieun said and emptied the cup. "Thanks for the coffee."

She quickly grabbed her jacket and was halfway out the door when she heard Mark asking whether she was coming back or not or if she needed a ride.

Jieun didn't really have time to go back and answer. To be honest, she didn't even know the answer. One thing she knew was that what she had in mind couldn't wait any longer.

She had to find Youngjae.

After seeing her reflection from the store window she passed by she thought, maybe it could wait just a little while longer, since she apparently also had to buy a hairbrush. 

She formed her hands on her mouth and breathed out. Ugh. Maybe a toothbrush too.

That being said she entered the nearest store she could find.

-

Jieun knocked on the door of the GOT7 house.

After what seemed like minutes a sleepy Jinyoung opened the door. His face immediately lit up as he recognized her.

"Sorry I'm early, I just really need to talk to Youngjae. Is he awake yet?" she asked. Jinyoung nodded. "Yeah. Follow me. He's upstairs."

She took off her shoes and let Jinyoung lead her to him. Youngjae was sitting in the kitchen, drinking coffee from a large mug.

"Hey there, cousin", Jieun said while playfully messing up his hair.

"Morning. I take it you came here for coffee?" he asked.

This boy knew her well.

"Not this time, I already had a cup at Jackson's-" her sentence was interrupted by the sound of coffee being spat out of her cousin's mouth.

"What?!" he screamed. "You slept at Jackson's house!?" he looked absolutely horrified.

Jieun rolled her eyes. "Calm down. Jackson's and Mark's to be exact."

It was Youngjae's turn to roll his eyes at her. "That does not make it any better. Please don't tell me he-"

"Ew. Stop. Nothing happened. I was safe and sound on the sofa. Slept like a baby. But that is not what I came here to tell you, I really need to talk to you. In private." she urged him, putting emphasis on the last part when Yugyeom arrived in the room.

Youngjae raised his brows slightly. "What's going on?"

"It's about Eunji."

That was all she had to say to get him to understand. He got up from the chair, his expression more serious than before and led Jieun to his room.

She realized she'd never even seen his room. It was simple and neat, very Youngjae- like. Grey walls, a bed next to a wall, one green plant under the window and a quitar hanging from the wall.

He got her seated on his bed as he sat next to her.

"Well?" he urged.

Jieun sighed. "Okay. Promise me you won't think I'm crazy. Just listen to what I have to say and ask your questions later, okay?"

He did not look trusting at all but let her begin anyway.

Jieun was wondering whether she should ease him into it or explain her theory first but then she thought, he'd think she'd lost it either way so she could as well just blurt it out.

"I think Eunji was murdered."

Judging by the look on his face that was not what he had expected to hear. He let out a long sigh. Then another. "Jieun, I know you miss her, I do too, but... I mean, you were there. The police said it was clearly a suicide."

Jieun tried to control her irritation. "How? How was it a suicide when there was just a suicide note which could have been faked and not even a body? And the Eunji we knew was the one who always lit up the room whenever she came in. I know my sister. She had no reason to kill herself and I know damn well she didn't."

She had to take a moment to calm down. She understood where Youngjae was coming from. After all, he wasn't the one who'd spent months looking into it. But in his position he should know that the cops weren't always right.

"Eunji had... some people who didn't agree with her, I think", she began, unsure of how to put it into words.

Youngjae frowned. "What do you mean by that?"

"I found something", she began as she start to reminisce the day she was cleaning up Eunji's stuff. "When I was going trough her things, packing them away I found a picture. It seemed like it was taken without her knowing. It was a photo of Eunji, in her room. The photo was taken from outside her window."

Youngjae urged her to continue.

"So, whoever took that picture knows where she lived. Knows where I live. But that's not all. She'd put together pieces of paper, with all kinds of names in them, I actually brought them with me, I wanted to show you if you'd recognize any of them", Jieun said as she grabbed them from the back pocket of her jeans and handed them over to Youngjae

He studied them for a while and she could physically see his expression get darker.

"Oh." was all he said. "This is bad."

"What?" she asked, heart rate immediately speeding up.

"I need you to tell me, did you find anything else in her room?" Youngjae asked her.

She thought for a while.. "Aside from some pictures and weird documents, nothing that really caught my eye."

She could see his brain working. "What is it?" she asked.

"I'm not entirely sure yet. Eunji has put together some information. It's not so much about the content, it's who it's about", Youngjae told her, worried.

"Well? Just tell me!"

"It's Won. He is the leader of a very, very dangerous gang. The Reds. They are originally from Busan but who knows if they've spread out and how large. They're everywhere nowadays and the size of the gang is huge, since they have all these suborganizations all over the world. The Reds are powerful and they are known to go to extreme measures to get what they want."

Jieun gulped. He was right. This was bad.

"Why would Eunji have information about him?" she wondered.

"It looks like she'd been spying on him, calculating his moves. She was planning something big with him. There's one unfortunate thing about Won, though, no one knows what he looks like apart from those few closest to him. His most trusted members. Not even most of The Reds have seen his face. For some reason, he keeps it a secret, and he does it well. For one, Eunji was probably trying to figure out his identity..."

Jieun watched as Youngjae feverishly studied the papers. "Why on earth would she have this much information about him...? We only do this if we're trying to-"

His eyes grew wide with realization. "Holy . I think she was trying to take him out."

Jieun frowned. "Take him out? As in... kill?"

Youngjae nodded. "But for what?"

She was at a loss of words. What on earth could she have done? Did he have something on her? One thing was for sure, this definitely screamed that Won would have had a motive against Eunji.

"We have to take this to Jaebum. And I'm going to have to call for a meeting. This is serious", Youngjae said to her. He got up from the bed and Jieun followed him into the living room where Yugyeom and Jinyoung were seated.

"Guys, get Jackson and Mark here as soon as possible. Jieun, you wait here, I'll go wake up Jaebum and Bam." he ordered.

"A meeting? This early?" Yugyeom whined.

Youngjae tossed the papers over to him. "It's The Reds."

Jieun watched Yugyeoms face fall. 

She didn't like the feeling that was beginnin to stir up in her stomach.

Jinyoung took his phone from the table and left the room for a few.

He came back with a serious face on.

"Mark and Jackson are on their way."

 

-

 

The boys and Jieun were all seated around the living room of their house. Eunji's notes were spread out on the table.

Together Youngjae and Jieun had explained what they knew so far to the others. Looking at Jaebum, she understood why he was the leader. His face went from friendly to hard and calculated in a matter of seconds. His posture was steady. He was going over this newly found information in his mind.

"Jieun, when is the last time you were at your house?" Jaebum asked, his eyes steadying on her.

"The day before yesterday was when I left and came here."

"We need to go there and get rid of everything that would lead them to us, or you. If they knew about what Eunji might've known, there is a great possibility that they had eyes on her. Which means they had eyes on you."

What he said made her feel extremely uncomfortable. To think that all this time someone could've been watching her without her even knowing it. It was an uneasy feeling.

"If they had eyes on her, they'd know she hasn't

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter