The arrival

Writings on the walls
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

There's something special about the way the rough texture of the old sketching book feels against the pad of his fingers; beyond the talent hidden behind every page, there's a raw emotion embroidered on each drawing that pricks at his heart, twisting it in an old, yet painfully familiar way that makes his breath waver every time he opens his mouth to take deep inhales of air, struggling to keep the urgent need to cry away. He's a prince. Princes are not supposed to cry.

Memories he thought had faded a long time ago, come back crashing against his chest like heavy tidal waves on a storm, making it hard for him to breathe. He never thought he would find himself in this same situation again, his heart wasn't ready to repeat the same cycle all over and yet, he can't help but think that this is nothing but fate's work, of strong strings holding them back together, stretching in different directions to keep them apart but never enough so they would fade from each other's paths.

Call it fate, call it however you want, Chanyeol is a strong believer that when two souls are meant to be together, they will always find a way back to one another, regardless of how much time passes. Even when the other soul fervently refuses to acknowledge it. Even when that same soul is the one who keeps running away.

But fate this time has something different prepared for them, the prince knows it, feels it and he's ready to embrace whatever comes at them, even if he's the only one fighting. Chanyeol is determined to patch back what was broken years ago. To mend the other half of his own soul.

The tranquility of the room is abruptly disrupted by the thick wooden doors opening wide. The prince's personal maid walks in with a full entourage of other maids following close behind; they stand in a well formed row near the door, heads low and hands gracefully put together over their stomachs as they wait for their prince's permission to speak.

Chanyeol stares for a couple of seconds, observing the nervousness displayed by some of the girls, they fidget with the fabric of their uniforms and chew on their lower lips insistently to the point of making Chanyeol think they're going to start bleeding soon. They must be new, the prince think as he stands up, fixes the jacket of his light gray suit and clears his throat.

"Yes?" His deep voice rumbles across the large study room. A few of the maids visibly startle.

"Your Highness." His maid speaks, keeping her eyes fixed on the floor. "I'm sorry to interrupt, but advisor Kim sent me. The prince has arrived." She announces calmly, voice steady and loud enough for everyone in the room to hear.

Chanyeol frowns, feeling how the rate of his heart begins to speed inside his chest. "Why didn't advisor Kim come himself?" He doesn't mean to sound harsh, but he does. He had left very clear to all the members of the Council how important this is. This was not a maid's job.

The woman flinches a little, but she keeps her posture, trying not to stutter as she speaks again. "He and the rest of the Council are dealing with some... issues, Your Highness. Your presence has been immediately required."

"What kind of issues?" Chanyeol asks while he makes his way around the desk to stand closer to the maids, looking down at the tiny middle aged woman.

"The prince has locked himself in the throne room." She replies.

The prince's attempts to hide his shock fail. His eyes widen and his mouth opens in silent surprise. He doesn't say another word as he rushes out of the study room, across the endless hallways of the east wing of the palace to the main area where the throne room is. He ignores the greetings and bows from people as he passes by, his mind occupied by more important matters.

The atmosphere is visibly tense by the time he arrives. Advisor Kim fidgets around whilst the members of the Council look at each other nervously, uneasiness plastered on their faces.

"How did this happen?" Chanyeol demands to know.

"Your Highness." A collective greeting and bow welcomes him.

"How did you let this happen?" Chanyeol speaks this time directly to his advisor. He doesn't have the time for formalities.

"My apologies, Your Highness." The advisor bows again. "We—"

"Junmyeon." Chanyeol growls, starting to feel how the frustration builds up inside.

"I— I didn't see that coming." Advisor Kim confesses with a small sigh. "He told us to head out first and then... he was closing the door. The guards already tried to open it, Your Highness, but they did not succeed."

Chanyeol lets out an exasperated sigh, closing his eyes and pinching the bridge of his nose trying to keep his cool. He's a prince. Princes are not supposed to lose their temper. "The master key. Did you call the housekeeper yet?"

"Yes, my prince. We believe the prince truncated the door from inside."

"The west side entrance?" Chanyeol asks, hopeful.

"Locked as well, Your Highness."

Chanyeol ponders on his options. He frowns deep in thought, trying to find a quick solution to this problem that it shouldn't even be a problem at all in the first place.

When his father announced to him two months ago that prince Baekhyun had finally returned to his home in Gyeonggi-do, his heart had soared in indescribable happiness; however, it didn't last much when the king broke the news to him that Baekhyun had been forced to do so. All of Chanyeol's hopes wavered upon remembering why he and Baekhyun had separated in the first place.

Chanyeol remembers very clearly the first time their parents officially told them they were destined to marry each other, even when they already knew it was going to happen, the excitement had been hard to hide. He was eleven and Baekhyun wa

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter