~11~

Coffee To Go
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A soft knock on the door. That’s what drags Irene out of her thoughts the morning after she asked Wendy.

 

I really did it, huh? She thinks again, Wendy...The Wendy, my Wendy, is my girlfriend…

 

Irene smiles to herself at the thought, another knock brings her back to reality again. This time, she makes her way over to the doorway from the kitchen. When she opens the door, a familiar, albeit a little overly-exicted-for-7:45am, face welcomes her.

 

“Hello stranger, you haven’t seen my girlfriend around, have you?!”

 

Wendy’s beaming smile is all Irene can focus on. They stand there smiling at each other for a brief moment before Irene pulls Wendy in by her wrist.

 

“Yah,” Irene giggles as the poor girl she pulled stumbles into the apartment, “it’s still early in the morning, you want the whole apartment block to hate you more than they already do?”

 

“Hate me? What do you mean? I’m perfectly lovable in every way.” Wendy huffs at Irene’s insinuation.

 

“You may not remember, but I distinctly recall you calling almost every apartment on my floor one night because you didn’t know my flat number.” Irene quirks an eyebrow at the redhead in front of her, a smirk playing at the edge of her lips.

 

“Well, when you put it that way…” Wendy mumbles under her breath. She huffs and shakes her head,

 

“Well anyway, I’m not here for the whole of the fifth floor, I’m only here to pick up my wonderful, charming, beautiful girlfriend, to take her for breakfast. And the fifth floor is not invited.” Wendy folds her arm faking a defiant look while Irene just laughs at her attempt to smooth over the event that transpired all those nights ago.

 

Despite the fact that night made her vastly unpopular with her neighbours, she would never forget that night. The night Wendy came back for her. Looking back on it now, Irene sees it as the night she finally let Wendy in. Into her home and into her heart.

 

Irene breathed out another small laugh,

 

“Well I guess I’ll have to call and cancel their invites, they’ll be crushed.” She sticks out her bottom lip and gives Wendy her best pout.

 

Wendy walks over to the brunette in front of her. She pushes Irene’s lip back in gently with her forefinger, not minding the closing gap between them,

 

“What a shame,” she says, sarcasm dripping from the words that leave , “how will I ever get over it?”

 

It feels like there should be some sort of tension between them. But there’s no tension. No unsaid words. It was all out in the open now after all. So now the only thing that filled the spaces between Irene and Wendy was just comfort. There were no awkward pauses, no stutters or stammers, just a pure sense of ease between the two of them.

 

Wendy laughs again before stepping back a little, and Irene decides, right then and there, she could listen to that laugh for the rest of her life. There’s nothing more in this life that she wants than to see Wendy happy. To be a part of that happiness. To be the cause of that happiness.

 

“Come on you,” Wendy’s words snap her back to reality, “we better get a move on or we’ll be leaving Seulgi waiting, and I have a present for her,” she taps the backpack she has on, wiggling her eyebrows as she does so.

 

Irene slips on her sneakers before grabbing her own backpack for class that day. Wendy grabs her hand, Irene barely has time to grab her keys and lock her door before she’s dragged down the hallway and toward the diner for breakfast.


 

~~


 

As they walked into the diner, hand in hand, they spotted Seulgi sat at a table in the window. The couple waved at their friend before walking over. As they approached, Seulgi’s eyes wandered down to the pairs intertwined hands,

 

“Woah now,” she said, sliding out of her seat with a smirk on her face, “what do we have here, hmm?” Seulgi points to their hands, then between the two of them, wiggling her finger with her eyebrows raised expectantly.

 

Irene sighs, knowing she should've known Seulgi would clock them in a heartbeat, before they even had the chance to sit down and actually tell her.

 

“Well, if your nosy must know,” Irene states, rolling her eyes at her best friend, “Kang Seulgi, this,” she raises their hands, fingers still laced together, “is my girlfriend, Wendy.”

 

“I knew it!” Seulgi yells, fist pumping the air. She quickly clamps a hand over , mentally reminding herself she’s in a public space, and that people probably wouldn’t appreciate her yelling at her friends this early in the morning. Irene was giving her a rather pointed look at her outburst.

 

“Sorry, it’s just, like, come on ‘Rene I knew it was coming, I could see it from miiiiiles away.” Seulgi says, playfully punches Irene’s arm as she does so.

 

“Oh just… shut up and eat your pancakes…” Irene mumbles under her breath at Seulgi.

 

“Hey, Einstein, I haven’t ordered yet, I was waiting on you two lovebirds,” Seulgi bats her eyelids innocently at Irene.

 

“Why is it that you are making me regret this decision. Why was I ever friends with you, I will not be sassed like this. You should respect your elders.” Irene huffs again at Seulgi, turning her nose up at the girl feigning arrogance.

 

“You’re literally older by like four months, but sure, whatever you say grandma.”

 

“That’s it! Kang Seulgi come her-”

 

“Hi, can I take your order?”

 

The two bickering friends were interrupted by a cheerful waitress coming to their table. The trio placed their orders, Irene glaring at Seulgi the whole time.

 

Seulgi leans over to Wendy,

 

“Is she always this huffy with you?”

 

Wendy shakes her head at the question,

 

“I think it’s a special talent only you possess my friend, or a weapon.” She takes a look at Irene’s expression, “Yeah, I’d go with weapon over talent…”

 

The two laug

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter