Part 1 - End of a day

Sweet Smiles and Liquor

He took a sip of his drink, the liquid searing a path down his throat, his eyes watching the man behind the bar over it’s rim.
He had yet to build up the courage to talk to him. They'd only exchanged the few required words it took to order a drink and even those had become unnecessary as he had been coming regularly enough to instantly be given his usual without any unneeded conversation.
He still didn't know the tall handsome man's name, it being a casual place where name tags were not required.

A woman walked in and seated herself two seats away from him, calling for the bartender's attention.
After placing her order she initiated light conversation with the unnamed man.
He listened closely, hoping maybe this time to catch his name or, failing that, some information about the man.
He lasted five minutes into what turned into the woman's life story before giving up and sighing into his now empty glass.
A hand appeared around his depleted drink, a low voice asking "should I refill that for you?'
He lifted his eyes to meet the beautiful large brown orbs of the bartender. He was lost in their depths, yet somehow made his head nod and the eyes were gone, a wall of dimly lit liquor bottles in their place.
He received his drink and a heart stopping smile he couldn't help returning, before the beauty returned to the conversation with the woman.
He observed silently, noting sadly that the woman was quite attractive, surely a better catch than him. A beautiful doll like her would be preferable to him. A man… and a somewhat clumsy one at that... Not to mention his sense of humor, which some would describe as questionable.

The woman eventually left, he'd missed her departure, too busy mulling over his misfortune in life, topped off by falling for a guy in such an unforgiving country.
He was tired, it had been a long day both at the office and at the volunteer clinic, yet he couldn't bring himself to leave the mesmerising presence of the young bartender.

The loud crash and hiss pulled him away from his thoughts.
There were bits of broken glass from what looked like a bottle all over the counter and the man was clutching his hand, face scrunched in pain.
He didn't think as he jumped up, pulling his bag with him, and went over to the other's side.
"Let me see" he held out his hand for the bartender to show him his own.
The tall man hesitated "I'm, fine, it's just a cut"
He searched the younger man's eyes "please?"
The man gave in with a sigh, removing the clutching hand.
There was a long red gash down the palm of his hand.
He gently pulled him to the sink, rinsing the injured hand gently before getting to work, pulling swabs and bandages out of his bag.
"It's not too deep, so you won't need stitches. You'll have to avoid using the hand for a few days to prevent the wound from opening or getting infected."
The taller nodded, watching him in fascination.
"You're a doctor?"
"Med school dropout. I volunteer at a clinic nearby most evenings"
He couldn't look up. Didn't want to. Most people gave him that "so you could have been a doctor but aren't" look, he didn't want to see it just now. Not on this man.
He focused on wrapping the bandage around his hand.
He let it go after placing the little clasp to hold the bandage in place.
"Thank you. May I know my savior's name?"
"It's Jinki, Lee Jinki"
Jinki finally looked up at the man.
He had a beautiful smile spread across his face, lighting up his round eyes.
Jinki found himself lost in their depths.
"Thank you Jinki"
Jinki absently nodded, eyes locked on the other's, his heart loudly pounding in his chest.
He realized just how close they were, both standing in the small space behind the bar.
He pulled his eyes away, taking in the shattered bottle as he did so.
"I-I'll help you clean up, uh..."
He glanced back up at him shyly, he hadn't asked for his name.
"Uh, oh, it's Minho, Choi Minho"
Minho. He liked it.
"I'll help you clean up, Minho, you just rest your hand."
Jinki didn't give him a chance to protest, efficiently cleaning up the broken pieces.
"Thank you again, Jinki" minho said softly, his deep voice reverberating in jinki's chest.
"It's the least I could do for you"
"For me?"
A flushed jinki realized what he was saying and tried to explain it away
"I mean, you remember what I drink, you even prepare it for me in advance, and- and I've noticed the discounts you've given me on my tougher days."

Minho's eyes widened. He hadn't realized jinki had noticed the pre-prepared drinks, or the discounts. The man never looked at the bill before paying.


He'd taken a liking to Jinki, a regular who always sat at the bar, never talking to the bartender yet cutely peeking at him when he thought Minho wasn't looking.
The sunny smiles he got from the man made his efforts worth it every single time.

The bar was empty due to it being past closing time, he always let Jinki stay until the very last moment though, reluctantly handing him the bill only when he needed him to leave.


Jinki was standing behind the bar with him, the narrow space not designed for more than one person, only a step separated them . His cheeks were cutely red in his flustered state.
What if...?
Yet, if he was wrong, if he'd only imagined that connection, he'd never see the man again.
Minho took that separating step closer, drawing Jinki's puzzled attention up to his face.
"Thank you anyway" he said in a deep whisper, causing Jinki's whole body to vibrate with the tone, he was so close.
Their gazes locked and they were drowning in each other's eyes, faces only inches apart.
Each was acutely aware of the tiny gap separating them.
Jinki could smell the faint scent of aftershave from Minho and Minho the liquor on Jinki's breath.
They each felt the air leaving the other's mouth on their lips.

And then softness. Plump and sweet.

Jinki's eyes fluttered shut, leaning in further.
Heart leaping in his chest Minho wrapped his arms around the shorter's slimmer body, pulling him in so they were flush against each other, his nerves completely vanishing upon feeling Jinki's fingers entangle in his long locks.
They stood there, lips melding, arms caressing, lost in a bubble of bliss, for what seemed like eternity and at the same time like mere moments.
They pulled away, inhaling deeply, small smiles creeping onto their faces as they continued to gaze at each other.
A small blush sneaked onto Minho's cheeks as he looked slightly down, mustering the courage for his next sentence.
"Would you, possibly, if you're interested at all, like to have a coffee with me?"
He looked back up to be greeted by the sunshine radiance of Jinki's smile.
"I'd love to go on a date with you"