Sing For You

Through The Night
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

October 2017

"So when are you going out with Jungkook?" Saeron questioned while they were hanging out at her house.

"On Thursday." Yeri replied absentmindedly, since she was busy paiting Saeron's toenails "He's taking me to this secret restaurant that is apparently exclusive only to celebrities and chaebols."

"Fancy," Saeron commented, inspecting whether Yeri was doing a good job "What's Jaehyun's opinion on this?"

Yeri scoffed "He's playing the part of the overprotective big brother perfectly, I'll give him that."

"Big brother..." Saeron mused with a perfectly raised eyebrow "Huh."

Yeti immediately picked up on her friend’s overtone and gave her a pointed look.

"Why do I feel like your 'huh' has a hidden meaning behind it?" She asked knowingly "Just spill it, Saeronie."

"Have you ever considered the possibility of you and Jaehyun together?" Saeron inquired in a tentative manner "Like, as a couple?"

Yeri looked down as she pondered over how to answer that question. She had never told this to anyone but, back when Jaehyun first joined as a trainee all those years ago, Yeri had developed a huge crush on him. That was part of the reason why she initially avoided befriending him as she was afraid he would notice.

So when they got closer, Yeri made sure that her crush stayed as just that: a crush. After all, crushes are often light and meaningless infatuations. The real trouble happens when crushes grow stronger and turn into actual feelings.

"I won't say it never crossed my mind," Yeri acknowledged "but we're just too good as friends. No point in messing that up."

"And your solution to that predicament is to date one of his friends instead?" Saeron asked incredulously "Don't you think things could potentially become very awkward?"

"It's one dinner, Saeron." Yeri deadpanned "It's not like Jungkook and I are getting married and asking Jaehyun oppa to officiate it."

"Yeah, but still..." Saeron insisted before Yeri cut her off.

"Let's worry about this when it actually happens, alright?" Yeri said brusquely "Right now, I just want to enjoy the fact that a cute guy is interested in me and wants to take me out to dinner. Work with me here, will you?"

Realizing it was no use to continue the argument, Saeron decided it was best to just change the subject "Okay, what are you planning to wear?"

~~~~~~

"Last but definitely not least, Jaehyun." the NCT boys listened attentively while the publicist listed their individual schedules for the next month "Looks like you have a busy couple of weeks ahead! Not only you're going to record the song with Taeil and Doyoung, you're also getting your own SM Station single. And that will be accompanied by a photoshoot."

Jaehyun smiled gleefully "Wow, really?"

"Way to go, Jeffrey!" Johnny praised and clasped his roommate on the back.

"That's my soulmate, ya'll!" Mark said boisterously, making everyone laugh.

"The kids are growing up so fast." Taeyong commented dramatically.

"Alright, this is it for now. You each will receive more details on your upcoming schedules." The publicist said, effectively ending the meeting "Go straight home and rest, okay?"

"Yes, ma'am!" They replied in unison as they all got up to leave.

On the way out, Haechan ran up to Jaehyun and clung on to him.

"Hyung, can we have stir fried pork for dinner?" the youngest pleaded cutely "Pretty, pretty please?"

"Why not?" Jaehyun agreed without much of a fight "I'll cook, but you guys will have to do the groceries and take care of the dishes afterwards."

Haechan was about to start whining but Jaehyun was quick to shut him down.

"Take it or leave it, Haechan." Jaehyun warned playfully "Everything in life comes with a price."

~~~~~~

"Hyung, do you mind if I make a call?" Jaehyun asked Taeil in consideration, since it was just the two of them in the car.

They were on their way to the dorm to start prepping for dinner while the others went grocery shopping.

"No, go ahead." Taeil consented and then looked at him teasingly "Do I have to plug in my earphones?"

Jaehyun laughed and simply shook his head. Dialing the familiar number and raising the phone to his ear, he patiently waited for the person on the other side of the line to pick up the call.

"Oppa!" Yeri's jolly greeting brought a smile to his face right away.

"Yerim-ah, are you busy?" He asked before anything else, since he did not want to disrupt her schedules.

"Nope, just sitting here while Joohyun unnie is braiding my hair. Ouch!" Yeri complained and Jaehyun could hear Irene in the background nagging at her to sit still.

"I have good news." He said without much detail, knowing this would spark her curiosity.

"Well, what is it?" She asked impatiently.

"I'm going to have a solo photoshoot and my own SM Station song!" He revealed, unable to hide his excitement "It's a duet with one of our composers, but I'm still really happy."

"This is so great!" She squealed, making Irene reprimand her once again "What kind of genre is it going to be?"

"It's a ballad and the song is titled 'Try Again'." He disclosed "I was thinking we could celebrate. I have to make dinner tonight, but we could meet for a little bit later on."

There was a pregnant silence on the other side of the line and for a moment Jaehyun wondered if he had said something wrong.

Yeri cleared her troat "Hm, tonight I have my date with Jungkook, remember?"

Oh.

"Right," he said, not really bothering to mask the dreadful tone in his voice "I completely forgot about... that."

"But we can try to see each other tomorrow." She tried to offer.

"We're flying to Japan tomorrow." Jaehyun said a little more curtly than intended "Well, I guess I'll see you when I see you."

"Sorry, oppa." She apologized genuinely "I would try cancelling but Jungkook has very limited free time and,"

"It's okay, really." He said in resignation and made an effort to sound a little more bright for her sake "Have fun tonight, alright?"

"I will. And oppa?" Yeri called out, to which Jaehyun simply hummed in response.

"I can't wait to hear your song." She stated quietly and he could imagine her sweet smile as she said that.

Jaehyun smiled inadvertently and closed his eyes "Good night, Yerim-ah."

Ending the call, Jaehyun went silent and anxiously tapped his fingers against the armrest of his seat. This went on for a while until Taeil couldn't take it anymore.

"Look, Jaehyun." Taeil said as he made a move to stop the other's fidgeting "I know you don't like it when we talk about you and Yeri but..."

"I don't want her to go, hyung." Jaehyun admitted, his expression filled with anguish "Why don't I want her to go? Should I stop her? Do I even have the right to do that?"

Having heard the exchange from a few minutes ago, it did not take Taeil too long to put two and two together and figure out the issue at hand.

"I can't give you the answers." Taeil said resolutely, looking at him sympathetically "This is something you need to figure out yourself."

"Everything's so confusing right now." Jaehyun said tiredly.

"Jaehyun-ah, regardless of the status of your relationship, the fact is that you have feelings for Yeri." Taeil told him honestly "You just need to figure out what kind of feelings they are and what you're going to do about them" he continued "Until you have all of that sorted out, you can't really stop her from going anywhere."

~~~~~~

"Everything looks so classy here." Yeri said while admiring the restaurant's decor "I feel like I should've dressed up a little bit more."

They were currently seated at a secluded part of the fancy establishment. Apparently this was the 'it' place if you were rich and famous and wanted to have a date in peace.

"You look amazing, don't worry about it." Jungkook praised and grinned at her.

Yeri smiled shyly as she played with the braids in her hair "Thanks."

There was a long moment of silence as they exchanged glances, not really knowing what to talk about. Yeri tried to hide her discomfort by letting out a nervous laugh.

"I guess awkwardness is a standard part of first dates, huh?" Jungkook remarked with a chuckle.

Yeri was about to agree, but then she remembered how there was no awkwardness with Jaehyun when they went to on their 'date'. She quickly dismissed the thought and rationalized that, with Jaehyun, things were different because they already knew each other well and it wasn't even a real date so there was no pressure.

You are on a date with Jeon Jungkook. STOP thinking about Jaehyun. Yeri berated to herself.

"So, have you ever been on a date before?" Yeri asked, hoping this would get her mind in the right place.

"No, you're the first." He revealed, scratching the back of his neck in embarrassment.

"Wow, really?" She

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter