Baby Steps

Forever

[Momo's POV]

“You didn’t really think that winning the fight was the end of all of this. Did you?” Hyuna's words are hollow and lack any emotion.

“That was the deal. I won the fight.”

“You did win, but you failed on a big part of the bargain. The money isn’t in Hyunseung hands.” Hyuna's crosses her arms and stares at me.

“I got attacked. That’s not my fault.”

“You’re going to fix this. You’re going to get that lost money back. Momo.”

“That’s impossible.”

“Momo.”

“That’s millions of won.”

“Momo!”

“I can’t do that.”

“MOMO!”

I jerk upwards, smashing my head against something. I’m covered in sweat and my body aches. I feel a cool hand against my cheek and finally turn my head.

“It was just a dream,” Mina says in a soothing tone.

I raise my hand up and hesitate before I put it under her chin and lift her head up. Her lower lip is split and growing swollen.

“It’s okay,” she assures me before pulling me into her arms. She threads her fingers through my damp hair, muttering soothing words as she does.

I take in a deep breath and instantly feel the calming effects of her familiar scent. I want to apologize for waking her, for causing her to sleep so little. I know that she’s been on edge lately. Always ready to help me and pull me out of my own head. To save me from my dreams and bring me back to reality. She hasn’t truly rested since I returned to her.

“Stop thinking about that. It’s okay.”

I shake my head. It’s unbelievable how easy she can read me even without looking at my facial expressions. She just knows.

“I’m going to go make some tea.”

She unwraps herself from me and slides free from the covers. I watch her hips sway as she leaves and goes to the little kitchen. Clicking and clattering drifts its way into the bedroom and I ease myself from the bed. I opt to leave my cane behind and just limp clumsily out of the room and follow Mina.

I know she’s heard me, but she doesn’t turn around as I slip my arms around her waist and lean into her back. She lets out a happy sigh as I rest my chin on her shoulder.

“You want to tell me what your dream was about?” she asks as she turns in my arms. She looks concerned and so tired.

I shake my head. She doesn’t need to know about the dreams that haunt me. She doesn’t need to know that I could be in trouble if Hyunseung or Hyuna ever figured out that I was alive.

She cups my face with her hands and furrows her brow. “You sure about that?”

I nod.

“Okay, love.” She gives me a peck and turns back around to finish making the tea. At that I leave her be and make my way to the small couch.

[Mina's POV]

“Here,” I say as I hand a mug to Momo. She takes it with a warm, but worried smile and begins to blow on it. I do the same with mine and watch Momo out of the corner of my eye. I let out a heavy sigh and place a hand on top of hers.

I’m worried about her. No matter how hard I try to get her to open up and share her feelings, she just shakes me off. I know she’s having a hard time and isn’t used to having someone to help her, but I am here. It’s been so hard trying to get her to see this.

“How are the sessions going?” I ask and then grab her notepad to give to her.

She puts down her mug after a tentative sip. She then takes the notepad and pen to quickly jot down a word.

Okay.

“Just okay?”

Momo fidgets with the pen in her hand and instantly I feel like I shouldn’t have tried to get her to share more. I know in my heart that she will open up when she’s ready to.

They said that I need to start trying to talk to you...

“So it’s promising… you getting your speech back.”

I guess. But don’t take this the wrong way.

“I won’t. I promise.”

I’m nervous even trying to speak around you. It’s not going to be like it used to be. I might not even make sense if I try.

“That’s okay, Momo. I don’t expect you to be reciting Shakespeare anytime soon,” I try to joke. “Plus you need to practice if you have any chance of getting your speech back. Have you spoken with any of the doctors or nurses?”

No.

“Why not?”

I’m scared.

I give her hand a squeeze. “Do you want me to come with you?”

She shakes her head.

“Okay. Well promise me that you’ll try next time you go.”

I promise.

I lift my free hand. “Pinky promise.”

She smiles at me and wraps her pinky around mine.

“Good.” I lean in and give her a peck. I then take her empty mug and mine and bring it to the kitchen sink. “I’ll clean these in the morning,” I mutter to myself before I return to Momo.

She grasps my hand tightly as I help her from the couch and to the bedroom.

 

 

////

 

 

“Are you cheating?” I ask Momo with a suspicious look.

She shakes her head and rolls the dice.

“Mark, she’s so cheating somehow!” I complain as Momo moves her piece and lands on ‘free parking’ for the third time.

He just shakes his head and rolls the dice himself. “Dammit. Still in jail,” he mutters.

I let out a giggle as I take the dice from him and give them a good roll. I pass ‘go’ and then move up the board, luckily landing on my own property.

Just as I glance up from moving my piece I see Momo rearranging her bills. “Did you just take money from the bank!?”

She looks up at me shocked and shakes her head.

“You are cheating! Give me the money!”

She shakes her head again and puts a hand over the bank.

“Momo, if we can’t trust you with the money then I’m going to be banker.”

“Give her the money,” advises Mark. He probably just wants us to stop bickering and to get the game moving again.

Momo begins to open , but then stops. I know that she’s been talking a bit at her sessions, but she hasn’t opened up at home. Instead of fighting back, she picks up the bank and hands it to me. She writes a note to me and then hands it to me.

You better not cheat either.

“I knew it! You were cheating!” I say as I punch her playfully in the arm. She winces and holds her shoulder as if she’s been shot. “That’s what you get for cheating, cheater!”

 

 

////

 

 

 

“M-i....na” I look at her with an encouraging smile and nod. “I…. wa-an..t-”

“You want?” She looks frustrated, but at least she’s finally trying to speak with me.

“Seeee. Ta-ec...y...eon.”

“You want to see Taecyeon? We can do that.”

“B-” she groans and picks up her notepad.

But not until I can speak better. I want to thank him for everything he did for me. I also want to see Wooyoung too.

“Okay.”

They probably think I’m still missing. Could you call them and let them know I’m okay?

I bite my lower lip knowing that what I’m about to tell Momo might upset her.

“I already called Wooyoung and let him know you were back. I-I know I should have told you this, but I didn’t want to burden you too much.”

She looks at me for a moment and then begins to write.

I appreciate you telling him, but I should have been the one to do that. Please ask me before you do things that are related to my friends. We need to be careful when it comes to telling people that I’m alive.

I tilt my head in confusion. “Why?”

It’s related to the fight in Thailand. You need to call Wooyoung and see if he’s told anyone about me being back in Korea.

“Okay. I’ll do that right now.”