Dance with me

What If [Oh Sehun ft. Hwang Minhyun]

 

After a successful festival day, of eating egg bread and trying every booth mostly, it's already time.

I think I never felt worse before.

We're back stage in our school auditorium, and of course it's quite big as this is an art school.

Everyone on the other side is sitting, getting ready for the performance. Parents are here, friends, strangers, basically everyone.

I pace around and clutch at my stomach.

"It hurts?" Sehun inquires.

I nod "I think the egg bread is not passing well"

"It's not the egg bread you ate without me, it's the nervoussness idiot" He chuckles, even if I can hear a bittersweet tone in his voice too.

"I don't want to be nervous!" I protest "Why can't I just go up, perform, after all we practiced so hard, we really do know it" I end up whining a bit.

"We will do fine, as you said we practiced a lot, we did our best, the choreography is good. Even Mina said it was good when she saw us rehearse. We'll do fine" He says gently.

I pout, not totally convinced and I start pacing around again.

On the stage the first groups start to perform. Minhyun and Sooyoung are doing the opening performance.

I want to look at what they are doing, trying to think of something else, but Sehun catches my writs and stops me.

"Yoora look at me" He asks.

I turn to him, a bit hesitant.

"We'll be fine because we're together, we're standing side by side" He says gently and for a few second, he takes my hand in his and squeezes it gently.

Somehow I feel comforted and I smile back "Thank you Sehun" I say gently.

We stay like this gently, until Minhyun and Sooyoung comes down the stage.

I turn to greet them and congratulate them for their performance, dropping Sehun's hand in the process. 

They seem both satisfied with their performance. 

"You did really well Park" Minhyun congratulates Sooyoung.

"You too Hwang"

They high five and I honestly feel relived at least she gets along well with one of the two boys.

"You're up in a few right?" Minhyun asks me.

I give him a nervous smile "I guess we are" 

"I already told her we'd be fine, she's just worrying to much" Sehun says teasingly.

"I just want to do well" I complain.

"We will" Sehun says, staring right at me once again and immediately I feel calmed.

"Sehun and Yoora, please get ready, you're up in ten!" One of the staff says.

I take a deep breath, dusting my pant a bit.

"Well I guess we'll try to find somewhere to sit, good luck you two!" Sooyoung cheers for us and we thank her before heading to the staff who called us, he gives us the last instructions, we verify our makeup, our clothes and outfits. Once we're sure we're good, we just wait, counting down the seconds until it's our turn.

"You two, go!" The staff tells us and we quickly walk up the stairs.

It's all dark, we're the last performers.

Our teacher was so mad that we did everything differently, that he decided we would be the closing act.

I get into my place, we rehearsed, I know where I should be, I know that the spotlight needs to focus exactly on where I am.

The choreography runs in my mind and I know I'm ready.

 

(A/N: I always imagine the Hit the stage performance from last year from Hoya and Hyojin last year, I absolutely fell in love with this performance, they did it really well and it is an inspiration for this story! The choreo is similar in the face that there is a dimension of getting closer, like you can't escape it. So it is more of some modern dance. Anyway if you want to imagine it a certain way, you can watch this performance, it's a good idea of what it is, except that Sehun and Yoora's performance is more light and less sensual that's all ^^ Christina Perri - a thousand years is also a good song for this performance that I imagine)

 

The few notes of the music starts, the spotlight focuses on me and I start moving.

The second spotlight turns on and focuses on Sehun.

We're both face to face, close to each other.

There is a moment of wanting to be with the other, of being tempted by the other, until I dance away, further away from him.

He chases me through the room until I am faced with having to look at him.

To approach him as if I just can't resist him.

We dance in Synch, like we're one.

Then he holds out one hand, stops in his tracks, and looks at me.

The last few notes of the music are playing.

I hesitate once more, not wanting to fall into this irresistible attraction.

But the moment the music plays the last note, I take his hand and as the light slowly goes back to black, I spin into his arms.

We look at each other, me against him. As one.

The crowd explodes in cheers and suddenly the lights come back in the room.

Everyone stands up and claps.

I hear some boys whistle in admiration, some girls are fanning themselves, everyone is cheering for us.

For a moment I had forgotten where I were.

I was just dancing with Sehun, just us, having a connection I had never felt this strongly before.

I realize I'm still in his arms, so I shyly break away.

I see disappointment in his eyes but I take his hand and I bow to the crowd. He quickly follows me and we bow to thank everyone for supporting us.

When finally the cheers are slowly fading, with Sehun we go down the stage, back to the behind the scenes.

"That.... Was amazing" I say, a bit breathless and I have the biggest grin on my face.

"It was" Sehun replies and steps closer to me but before I know why, everyone of our friends come to congratulate us.

"Wow Sehun, I knew you were good, but this is a masterpiece!" Seokmin exclaims.

"You two did really well" Jaebum says.

I bow again, not believing that we did that well.

Honestly I barely remember the performance.

I just remember the bundle of emotions I was feeling, how it felt so good to be up there.

But was it because of the stage or because of Sehun?

Somehow I'm not sure of the answer. 

"Come on, get changed and come to the hall, they are serving food!" Mina enjoins me.

I thank her and I quickly go back to normal clothes.

I come back outside and I notice that Sehun had been waiting for me.

"Thanks" I say simply and without more words, we walk to the hall.

The first person we are met with, is our music teacher, as if he had been waiting for us.

"You two..." He says threateningly "Don't ever do this in my class again. It was a breath taking performance, one of the best I have seen so far in this school, but not in my class anymore, you'll make actual music next time. I'm watching out" He warns us.

In between his praises and threats I'm not sure how to react, so I just bow and he leaves, mumbling more to himself about:" Stupid talented kids" 

"Well that went okay" I joke to sehun and he agrees with me.

"Let's go find our parents" He says and he takes me by the elbow as we walk through the crow, trying to find our families.

We first find my parents, or more like my mother finds us.

"Yoora! Sehun! Your performance was amazing!" She exclaims and she kisses me on the cheek.

"I see why you were practicing so hard, I'm proud of you" She continues and my grin widens at the kind words.

"You did well my daughter, I'm proud of you" My father says, less expressive but he still ruffles my hair affectionately.

"You too Sehun" My mother says to Sehun "I'm sure you'll accomplish your dream of debuting" She says. "But before that you and Yoora would make a very nice couple. I've always thought it."

"Mom!" I protest, my cheeks reddening at the speed of light.

"What" She says innocently "It's true, I'm just stating facts. You are perfect for each other!" 

"Thank you madam" Sehun bows and I can't believe this kid didn't even deny.

"Aw Sehun, call me Yerin, we're almost family, and who knows maybe one day I will be able to call you son in law" She winks at me this time.

"Mom please!" I whine "Sehun is my best friend! Stop being so embarrassing" I say, hoping she'll drop the case. 

Of course I don't see Sehun stiffen next to me.

"Well I guess you have other fans to see, so we'll leave you to it" my father says, gesturing to Sehun's parents that they're done and they can come." 

My mom winks once more at Sehun, then finally leaves.

I sigh in relief and then Sehun's parents come up to us.

"You did really well Sehun, we're proud of you. It's good that you're pursuing your dream well" His mother says.

His father seems a bit more reluctant, but he still congratulates him in the end. 

Sehun's parent's, just like mine, are in business, so Sehun's father would have wished for his son to follow his step, like his big brother, but he seems to have accepted the younger boy's dream.

They also leave quickly, congratulating us once more.

Finally it's Minhyun and Sooyoung that come to us, we haven't seen them since before the performance.

For some weird reason, they both seem pretty down.

"The performance was great." Sooyoung says and then shuts up.

For some reason, today she's not trying to be closer to Sehun.

"It really was amazing." Minhyun says quickly "Anyway I have an important meeting so I'll be going, but congrats" my best friend says and before I can stop him, he's already gone.

What's up with people nowadays?!

Sooyoung leaves with barely anymore words too and Sehun and I are standing like idiots in the hall full of people chatting about the performance.

"Guys!" I hear someone scream from across the room.

Finally someone seems excited!

Quickly, Mark who shouted, is by our side, an excited grin on the face. Mina is with him and seems in the same state as him.

"What happened?" I ask, already amused because of their energy.

"Tonight it's party at my house!"