(A Little Dusty) Popcorn Master

Day One
Please log in to read the full chapter

“I can't believe you brought me here, you know.” Yerim sighs as Sooyoung pulls her arm a little more to make her get in.

“Come on, I paid extra to that guy to keep this place open until we came, don't make my efforts waste. I promise that you're going to like this.”

“I'm sure I will, you planned this after all but still, when did you plan all this? Sooyoung-ah...”

Sooyoung's happy by Yerim's reply, and she doesn't say anything, they get into the small and old theater. It's a small and cozy theater that only plays both long and short films now and isn't known by many because not everyone likes to watch short movies and it's old, not many are able to find places like this. This is one of the many reasons why Sooyoung is unique to Yerim. Yerim knows all this because she remembers that Sooyoung heard talking about this before, but she can't remember where or when exactly. She just remembers that Sooyoung loves this place a lot and loves spending time here even now, after long years. Looking at the place, she feels like the place is calm and cozy, where you'll feel yourself comfortable even from the first time.

The guy Sooyoung paid waits on the corner, he looks grumpy as he sees her — probably an act because he wants more money and Sooyoung doesn't fall for it. She still greets him with a forced bright smile and a 90° bow. He shrugged his shoulders with a rude smile on his face that annoys Yerim and throws the keys to Sooyoung, she manages to catch them well. She actually looks she's used to catching it, Yerim finds it a little fishy, and she looks at them with a frown.

“Don't use this place for too long and don't you dare tell anyone about it. I placed everything as well, all you have to do is to press the button. I'm leaving.” he says as he leaves without looking back once again.

“Have a great night, sunbae-nim.” Sooyoung says from the back as she watches him to leave.

He leaves with just a wave from his back before closing the door loudly and Sooyoung sighs deeply and smiles brightly to Yerim. Now that they are alone, they feel more comfortable. Especially since the man is gone, there's no bad energy or tension in the air. Sooyoung locks the door after he left, closes the other lights except for the ones that are around the counters and salons to make sure no one will think that the place is open. It's not a popular spot, so they don't have to worry much but still, she can't take any risks. Yerim takes a look at the posters as she walks around while waiting for Sooyoung to be done.

After Sooyoung finishes her stuff, she walks to the counter where they sell snacks, drinks, literally everything and pulls some drawers and takes out stuff busily. Seeing the lost expression on Yerim's face, she starts to explain.

“Oh, I didn't tell you, I used to work part-time here.” Sooyoung explains to Yerim as she puts the keys on her bag and takes off her coat. Yerim takes off hers as well and sits on the chair that's in front of the counter after placing Sooyoung's and her coat on the chair next to her. “I started working here because it makes me feel comfortable. And he's my sunbae from both here and university. A jerk like him is very successful and popular among girls, can you believe it? He always made us work like crazy and enjoyed his night outs himself, look at where he is.”

“Nope, not at all.” Yerim replies as she places her hands on her chin. After looking at the things Sooyoung took out, Yerim decides to offer a hand. “Are you going to prepare popcorn for us? Shall I help you?”

“No, no help needed, chef-nim. You see, I used to be called Popcorn Master here.” Sooyoung says proudly as she flips her hair and ties it up, wearing the gloves. Yerim just smiles at her cute bursting confidence, how her voice and smile changes when she's confident. It makes her shine and Yerim's heart flutter.

“Hmm, I see... I can't wait to taste your popcorn, Popcorn Master-nim.” Yerim says as she watches what Sooyoung do closely, places her elbows on the counter and her chin on her hands.

Sooyoung is very disorganized with her work, even if she has all of her items right in front of her and it amazes Yerim and makes her laugh. She starts with the butter but ends with opening the machine and then goes back to butter, starts one before finishing the other and creates a mess. Yerim starts to think that the way she watches her can make her feel uncomfortable, so she takes a step back, lessens her focus on her to make her feel more comfortable. She even gets up from her chair, walks around with no particular destination and checks on Sooyoung without making it obvious.

She checks the posters once again, they are so minimalistic yet so beautiful. Especially the movie they are going to watch that's called Parallel Lines, seeing the beautiful poster excites Yerim more about the movie and what will happen in the salon when they get in. She always dreams about dates even since she's a little girl and she loves the movie dates, she can't even believe she's having one. After a few steps she hears a loud sound that disracts her from her thoughts and turns at Sooyoung, she drops a piece of butter on the floor. Yerim can't help but laugh loudly because of Sooyoung's expression, she looks like a child who breaks the expensive vase and looks for a way out. Yerim rolls up her sleeves and decides to take over for her girlfriend to rest a little bit.

“Aigoo, look at the mess... I guess our Popcorn Master is a little dusty. Stay there, I'll help you clean up.”

Yerim rushes to the counter to help Sooyoung before she can refuse, she takes the cleaning products with her. Sooyoung presses the button of the machine finally and turns around after that, to see Yerim's getting in from the place she shouldn't.

“Don't come from—” Sooyoung tries to stop her but it's too late.

“SOOYOUNG—” Yerim yells as she falls down.

Yerim thinks Sooyoung only dropped the butter so it's safe to use, however what Yerim doesn't know is that Sooyoung also accidentally spilled some water before Yerim came while she was trying to drink it during her work. Yerim fall straight on Sooyoung who is leaning back on the machine after starting it. Sooyoung grabs her from her waist and Yerim holds onto the higher shelves.

They're too close, too much that Yerim's nose can touch to Sooyoung's. She knows she has to get up and take a step back, but she can't. Their eyes are locked to each other and she knows there are two options there and she's not ready to take the other one. This is going to be her first time after all, she doesn't even know if Sooyoung is comfortable under her. Plus, the popcorn machine is working like crazy and it needs to be stopped, before all their work turns to dust. Thinking of Sooyoung's posture and the safety of the popcorn brings her back to her senses. She shouldn't stay like that not if she's not brave enough to make a move. Sooyoung's a doctor after all, not someone Yerim can stand upon for too long. She needs to get up immediately.

“I'm sorry.” she gets up holding onto the shelves and makes some distance between them. “We need to turn down the machine, Popcorn Master-nim.” she says as she tries to break the intense mood in the air. She's even too shy to look at her in the eye, so she fixes her hair and gets ready to get up but Sooyoung stops her by grabbing her hand, making Yerim's heart beat like crazy.

“I'm on it, don't worry.” she says tenderly.

She does the most unexpected to Yerim, she didn't see it coming. She thinks Sooyoung held her up to get help in order to get up from where she fell. Yerim even plans to ask her how she is right after she gets up but after receiving her first kiss at the most unexpected moment, she forgets it completely. Sooyoung gives her a short and simple peck on the lips as she gets up with matching her movements to Yerim and reaches to turn down the machine, she manages to reach it on time.



//



“Ah, I'm tired.” Seulgi states as she carries the packets for the fifth floor now.

“That's your punishment, and only part one of your punishment, hurry up and place them on the kitchen counter.” Joohyun firmly states as she takes one packet from Seulgi sneakily. Seulgi smiles as she looks at her girlfriend acting like she just didn't help her girlfriend with her punishment. She tries to look as natural as possible and Seulgi doesn't want to embarrass her, since she might give the pocket back to her.

Joohyun opens the door for them, and they place their heavy pockets to the kitchen counter. After taking their coats out and washing their hands, they start to place the packets. They have this way of wor

Please log in to read the full chapter