Reservation at 8PM (Or... For The Whole Night?)

Day One
Please log in to read the full chapter

Many have this belief that always men are the head chefs of big and important places such as hotels, companies and such — and she doesn't have a problem with this, Kim Yerim just loves to be one of the exceptions to it. She loves to see people pointing at her as they speak with admiration, and honestly, who wouldn't love it? She is a very talented and well-known chef, at a very young age and was adored by many thanks to her outgoing personality.

And that morning, Yerim walks around the tables as she usually does. Kids and their parents smile at her and she replies with a kind smile, she has small talks with the tables about the lunch menu and such, shortly tours every table that is full. If there's one thing she loves just as much as she loves cooking is also being able to interact with the customers during their meals, see their reactions when they take a bite with her own eyes. It's sometimes scary but it's always worth the risk, no matter what the reaction is. She can't say she doesn't get disheartened when she sees negative reactions, but she takes them as beneficial advice — at least she tries to.

After her daily tour routine, she heads to the kitchen and looks for her sous chef, Bae Joohyun, but she can't find her anywhere. They need to prepare for the lunch already but Bae Joohyun is nowhere to be seen? This rarely happens. Yerim sighs and decides to join the others help to clean up the kitchen instead of overthinking while waiting for her. After they are done with the dishes and the others takes the dishes to the other machine, she starts cleaning up some ingredients that take time to get ready. She can't wait for Joohyun doing nothing. As she finishes that as well, Bae Joohyun rushes to the kitchen.

“Where were you?” Yerim asks with a fake annoyed voice as Joohyun walks next to her. She places the ingredients to their spots and helps to categorize the spices.

“I'm so sorry.” Joohyun bows kindly to apologize playfully. They are more like best friends than colleagues, so they tend to joke around with each other a lot. “It's just, a waitress from the other place you work —”

“You mean the one you adore, named Kang Seulgi, right? That's why your conversation took so long and you did the talking instead of me, am I wrong?” Yerim asks as she gives Joohyun an elbow and Joohyun rolls her eyes.

Yerim works both at a hotel and a restaurant, breakfast and lunch at the hotel and dinner until breakfast at the restaurant. She loves to keep herself busy and the restaurant is the place where she can try some receipts and work more free as a chef, so even though it's tiring she finds it healing. She's a young chef after all, she needs all the experience and the work times she can get. This is one of her favorite things about herself — definitely not trying to be conceited here — that she's very ambitious and hardworking when she's doing something she loves and doesn't get tired from doing it, not at all.

“Whatever.” Joohyun slides over Yerim's question and avoids eye contact. “She said someone special reserved the restaurant for the night, guess who?”

“How can I guess? This happens for the first time.” Yerim frowns as she thinks. “Just tell me already, you look like you're dying to say it to me.”

“Actually, I am but also, you are the only one who can guess.” Yerim raises her eyebrows at Joohyun's reply and Joohyun chuckles. “Of course it's no one other than your one and only devoted fan, Park Sooyoung.”

Park Sooyoung? Yerim almost drops the white powder pepper after hearing Joohyun's reply, Joohyun chuckles even more to her reaction and catches the poor pepper for her. She takes the pepper from her hands and places it carefully and Yerim only watches her as she's shocked from the unexpected answer and Joohyun finds her reaction funnier each minute.

Park Sooyoung was one of her regular customers — the most regular one — that always visits both the hotel and the restaurant and always states her admiration for Yerim. So much that she is known as Kim Yerim's number one fan, for almost a year. What's even more strange is that she's actually a very famous vet herself, and she still finds time to come once in two nights just to eat Yerim's food. She thankful of course, but she wasn't only thankful to her, she also sees her as a woman and Park Sooyoung is truly breath-taking. She has thought about making a move a lot but after hearing she's her fan, she starts to think it would be inappropriate if she does open up her feelings to her.

“We should protect the poor peppers.” Joohyun takes the box from her and starts to place the peppers instead of Yerim.

“But why is she reserving for the night though?” Yerim asks as she places her hands on her waist. “She always comes to eat anyway, why close down the entire place this time? And I heard she's actually a very busy person...”

“And I was waiting for you to ask this!” Joohyun snaps her fingers and slightly jumpes because of excitement. “Seul doesn't know the details as well but— ”

“Hahaha, got you! Seul, huh? So it was really Seulgi? Are you actually dating now?” Yerim asks as she leans on the counter with her hands on her chin to embarrass Joohyun, and it's working as Joohyun blushes immediately.

“Please stay on the subject.” Joohyun snaps and tries to change the subject poorly.

“But you distracted me!” Yerim easily snaps back.

“Unfortunately, you are right. Still, let's focus on your fan, shall we?”

“Let's do so, I'll steal the answer from Seulgi later on anyway.”

Joohyun clears and tells Yerim everything the way Seulgi told her before, how Sooyoung was both excited and nervous as she was making the reservation, and she only said that she was making this reservation for herself and a special someone and how agitated she was as she was stating her feelings for the person to the owner of the shop and how that sincerity convinced the owner. She only couldn't hear the name but from the owner's reaction, Seulgi thought it was someone important. She also said that it can be for a proposal event.

“Is that so?” Yerim frowns as she imagines Sooyoung with a man or a woman in the same frame and feels her heart breaking. Park Sooyoung isn't someone she only looks at with a thankful heart after all, her heart is broken hearing what Joohyun said. She couldn't even make a simple move all that time and someone else is already at the almost at the finish line...

“What's wrong?” Joohyun asks nervously after seeing Yerim's reaction, she's really down.

“What's right?” Yerim asks and sighs. “I'm leaving here to you, I have to leave for the last tour.”

 

//

 

This is going to be Yerim's last tour around as it's almost time for the breakfast time to end. She visits each table once again, now the tables are mostly filled with sleepy teenagers and people who start the day later than usual so there are more empty tables now. This time, Park Sooyoung happens to be in the second part and Yerim decides to change the order she visits the tables, just because of this.

Yerim doesn't expect to see her there, especially not with someone else since this is the first time she doesn't come alone. She's breathtaking as always, she looks refreshing with her green top and her green top is annoyingly matches well with her friend's blue top. They are talking, laugh and chuckle a lot, and Yerim doesn't like what she sees, especially not after what she just heard. She pretends she doesn't care and acts like she listens to others but actually, she's trying to focus on her voice, and she can only hear her laughter clearly and it makes it even worse for her.

And that's why Yerim changes her order from left to right, to make sure Sooyoung's table is the last to visit. She plans a very short and formal visit, making it the last is actually a very good idea. She can feel eyes following her — Sooyoung is her number one fan after all she can notice she changes her routine easily — however she doesn't care and goes along with her new order. She even speaks with the others a lot more to visit Sooyoung later and calm herself down completely before reaching Sooyoung's table.

“Good morning, Chef Kim!” Sooyoung smiles and greets brightly while Yerim keeps her distance, she simply greets her and her friend with a quick smile. Sooyoung is surprised by her coldness, Yerim is never like that to her, especially in the mornings as she likes the morning tours the most. Sooyoung pretends everything's normal and keeps on talking.

“I specially came here with a friend I wanted to introduce you to today, her name is Son Seungwan.”

“Nice to meet you Ms. Son, I hope you are enjoying your breakfast.” Yerim does her best to keep all her sentences short.

“So nice to meet you too, it's an honor Ms. Kim. And I am, thanks to you.” Seungwan kindly replies.

“Please prepare well for tonight, don't forget that the reservation is at 8pm.” Sooyoung states cutely as she smiles however, she frowns after not being able to get a reply the way she thinks she would. Especially introducing her friend, talking about the night and looking at her friend's obvious reaction... Ms. Wan lookes like she has no idea of what Sooyoung says, which makes Yerim feel like her sentences are full of insinuation and Yerim doesn't like this.

Is her friend the special one for the night? Is she using me to give hints to her loved one? Is this what Sooyoung thinks she can get from being my fan? We're over after this dinner, Ms. Park. Wait for this. Yerim thinks and clenches her fist after placing the plates gently.

“You can be sure that I will, miss. If there's nothing else, I'm leaving.” Yerim leaves after her cold reply without waiting for an answer, making Sooyoung follow her every step with her eyes and frown.

Sooyoung questions what exactly she did wrong to be treated this way however she can't find an answer. Even during the tour, Yerim looked very tired as her hair is very messy and her shoulders are a little down — maybe she's just having a bad day? Yerim of course can't be happy at all times, she'll have her moody days too, it's just this is Sooyoung's first time seeing her in one of her moody days and she doesn't know what to do. She went there this morning just to make sure everything is okay with Yerim but seeing that it isn't, she panicks. She is sad that Yerim happened to be moody today and today is going to be very important for both of them and Yerim's mood can change the direction of the whole night.

Please Yerim, she thinks as she tries to stay positive. I prepared so much for this night.

 

//

 

Yerim does something that doesn't suit her at all today, she decides not to tour during the lunchtime. She stays in the kitchen with her crew and even her crew is surprised to see her that low. She nearly does all the cooking and none of the crew can say something to her. Joohyun tries to take her out, but she insists to stay. Her crew was actually happy about it, they watched Yerim and Yerim watched them, gave them strict advice kindly, show them some tips and having heart-to-heart conversations that they couldn't have for a while. After lunchtime ends, the time starts to work for dinner and Yerim leaves the kitchen to Joohyun.

She walks to the restaurant with unwilling steps for the first time since she started working there, and for the first time, she doesn't want to cook. She just wants to go back home, buy herself an ice cream and enjoy her night watching Knowing Brothers in pajamas. Is it too much to ask? No. Is it possible? No. She decides to stop by at some shops to get fresh ingredients along the way, she doesn't only hate the fact that she's cooking for Sooyoung's partner but also hates the fact that she's being so painstaking about it.

She can easily prepare somethings without thinking too much but whenever when she thinks about doing that, Sooyoung's cute voice saying “Please prepare well for tonight~” haunts her. No matter how much she wants to be, she can't be selfish in the end. She prepares a menu in her head and carefully picks up her ingredients.

After her short but careful shopping, she finally go

Please log in to read the full chapter