"I'm Sorry"

The Heart Of Amaranthine

Ugh... what the hell happened?’ i could still feel banging in my head. I hold it with both of my hand, trying to lessen the pain. I rolled my body over to the side and held the ground to stable myself. As i was kneeling on the ground i felt the world around me is still spinning. I kept my eyes closed and tried to control my breathing, even though i think it is useless. After a couple of minutes i re-opened my eyes. I blinked a couple of times to adjust my vision. I shook my head a little to recall what had happened before i black out.

The last thing that i remember is that the celebration was about to began but suddenly my body is in pain and right before i lost consciousness the figure in the hooded cloak hovered over me, calling my name. I shivered at the taught of that person again, especially how it called my name. It has a very rusty and croaky voice, a voice that i never wanted to hear ever again.

I slowly stood up and looked at my surrounding, wanting to know what happened after i fell unconscious. But the sight that is in front of me is not something what i had in mind.

There’s no more people that’s happily cheering, smiling, dancing and singing to the music. No. There’s none of that. Right now, it is more like hell just break lose. Everywhere my eyes is set upon, all i could see is chaos. The people that used to crowd in the middle of the square is now scattered everywhere, running for their life. There are soldiers that is chasing and capturing them. I heard the cry of help and screamed of agony as they are fighting for their life. I saw creatures and supernatural being fighting back with their power, but it’s no use, those soldiers are just to powerful for them. I don’t know what kind of creatures are those soldiers, but one thing i know is that they are a lot more powerful than any of us.

I scanned my surrounding, checking the situation. i felt my heart beating faster and faster as time goes by, and my breathing becomes more shallow. Bodies. Dead bodies, it is the only thing that has caught my eyes. There’s also blood, pools of blood everywhere i see. The decorations that used to be hung up high is now scattered everywhere, broken. The electricity seems to be shut down as well. Everything is in a chaos. Nothing seems to be like before. This scene. It is the same scene that i saw in my dream last night, but it’s a lot more crazier.

Suddenly i heard a loud cry. I covered my ears from the sound. It’s just like the sound of a monster cry. I looked up and saw something that i could never imagine exist. There, flying on top of us, is an enormous monster-like creature with sharp claws and teeth, huge wings, and horns. I widened my eyes at the sight of it.

Another monster-like cry is heard. I looked behind the monster and saw not one but a dozens more monsters flying here. I swallowed my saliva, thinking that this must be the end of all of us. Suddenly my eyes caught someone. On top of the monster, riding on it, is the person in the hooded cloak. I looked at that person with fear in my eyes. i saw it looked back at me, and somehow for a small glimpse i could see the person’s mouth twitch up into a smirk.

Seeing that person again, i quickly turned around and run away from the square. I cursed as i checked my phone seeing it still broken and can’t be use. I then decided to go to my motorcycle but once i reached it i couldn’t turn it on, the engine doesn’t seem to be working. Thinking it’s no use, i tried run and dodge myself from the fights that broke out around me. I emphasized on the word ‘tried’, dodging people who was fighting especially with powers and weapons is not easy.

After trying to dodge, run and hide myself from both the people and the evil soldiers, i stopped to take a rest between two building. I looked at the surrounding and sighed a little knowing that it’s clear. I rested my body on the wall, exhausted after all the running. I asked myself why did all of this suddenly happened, but yet i don’t have the answer for it.

I widened my eyes as i heard a low grumbling sound coming from above. i looked up and saw a huge monster flying above the building looking down at it. Suddenly out of nowhere, fire came out of its mouth, aiming it at the buildings. I quickly ran out of there and out to the streets.

I then bumped into someone, i looked and saw that it is the evil soldier. I stumbled back as i saw him. He wears a black uniform with a hint of red, just like the other soldiers, and with him, he holds a strange weapon. A weapon that looks like a sword but it is glowing and that the edges of it has sharps small blades. I quickly dodge him and make a run for it. From afar i heard him yelled. “GET HER”

I glanced back at the soldier and saw him running after me with the rest of the soldiers following him. “...!” i looked back to the front and tried to run as fast as i could. After a couple of turns here and there i managed to out smart them and escaped. As i was running, for the second time, i bumped into someone.

“OMG...!! Aleena !!” i looked up and saw Noraa looking glad and surprise at the same time. “Noraa..!!!” i yelled back and quickly hugged her.

“Where have you been? Do you know that I've been waiting for you at the meet up place. I also tried calling you, but you didn’t pick up. Do you know how worried i was?!” i scolded her. She hugged me back real tight.

“I know. I’m sorry. I left my phone at the house. I just remembered after i arrived at the square.” She apologized. I let go of her and looked at her state. She looked like she just had a fight. Her clothes had some blood and dirt in it, it is also ripped.

“What happened to you?” i asked, checking her whole body.

“I got into a fight with one of those soldiers as they caught me, but i manage to escape so no worries.” She smiled like as if nothing happened.

“OVER THERE... GET HER!!” i looked behind me and saw soldiers running.

“..!! they found me.” i grabbed Noraa and started running again.

“What the... why are they chasing you?” she asked.

“I don’t know. I bumped into one of them and they’re suddenly coming after me.” i replied. I glanced behind me again and saw that they are getting closer to us.

“Come on... faster.” I fastened my pace and kept on running. Suddenly i heard a loud cry. I widened my eyes.

I looked up and saw a monster flying above us. “Oh Come on!!!” i groaned. I looked up front and halted as i saw more soldiers. But they are not alone, there’s also a monster with them. Now, both me and Noraa are surrounded. I gulped and tried to think of something. While i was thinking of a way to get both of us out a soldier suddenly grabbed my arm and pulled me. i tried to struggle and get away from his grip but he is a lot stronger than me. Noraa saw me struggling and quickly went over to help me. she managed to strike the soldier and hurt him enough for him to release me. The other soldier got stunned with what she did.

I quickly grabbed Noraa and go for the run once i saw an opening. “Damn girl... those self defense class really helped you huh?!” i told her. She laughed a little and nodded.

Both of us are running and trying to avoid the soldiers and people that are blocking our way. i fasten my pace as Noraa is following me from behind. Suddenly i heard a scream coming from behind me. i looked back and saw Noraa on the ground, her leg got captured by one of the monster that was with the soldier before. I widened my eyes as i saw tentacle like thing twisting around her leg. “NORAA !!” i yelled for her, panic and fear showing through my eyes.

I ran to her and tried to help her but the monster is tightly holding onto her leg. She is being dragged by it. she tried to remove the monster tentacle off of her leg but suddenly a dozens of sharps blade like teeth came out and pierce her skin. She cried out in pain. i looked in horror as i saw it. the monster is dragging her towards it. i looked around trying to find something that could cut through the monster. My eyes then caught a sharp glass that’s laying on the ground, i quickly took it and went toward Noraa. I tried cutting of the tentacle that is twisting on her leg. She groaned in pain as the monster is dragging her. “... it is not working.” I muttered in annoyance.

“Aleena... just go. They are going to get you too.” Noraa said between her hissed of pain. i looked up towards the monster and found that behind the monster the soldiers are getting close. I quickly focused myself back on trying to help Noraa.

“No.. i am not leaving you.” I sternly said.

“.. Al.. for once please listen. You are not going to make it if you stay and help me. they will capture you!!” she yelled back at me.

“No.. Noraa. You’re gonna get killed and i don’t care if they capture me or not. I am not leaving you.” Suddenly the monster let out a loud scream. It then started to dragged Noraa faster. Noraa cried out in pain and tried to hold onto something. I tried to hold her and pulled her back. “Noraa!!!” I cried out for her.

She tried to get a hold on me but her hands suddenly slip out of mine and she got pulled towards the monster. I cried out her name in fear. Everything seems to move so fast, now she is currently being lifted by the monster. She tried to fend it off, struggling to get free but the monster grip is too strong. The monster looked at her with eyes that wanted to kill. Noraa stared at me and worded something in silent. The monster cried out one more time before sinking its sharp teeth into her body.

I looked at the scene in front of me in horror. I could feel my heart drop and my breathing stopped. I cried out Noraa’s name in shock and fear. I could feel my face wet with tears that i didn’t realize were falling. The monster let go of Noraa’s lifeless body, letting it drop onto the ground. It looked up at me and hissed. My body froze, my eyes are still staring at Noraa’s body. I could feel my anger rising as i stared at her dead body. My jaw started to tighten and my fist clenching.

I looked up at the monster who is growling and hissing at me. i stared at it with anger and hate. I tried to think of a way to kill it but then i heard yelling from behind it. i shifted my eyes and saw that the soldiers has arrived at the scene. I started to have an internal conflict, whether to stay and fight them or just ran while i still have the chance. My eyes drifted to Noraa’s lifeless body, looking at it one more time. I stared at it sadly, the feeling of guilt creeping onto me. i thought of what she said. i gulped and let out a small sighed. I whispered a soft inaudible sorry.

I braced myself and wiped the tears off my face. i looked at the soldiers and the monster with hate, before turning around and run with the strength that i have left. With the feeling of guilt and memories of Noraa’s death, i ran to the streets leaving her behind. After a few minutes of running and dodging, i finally manage to escape from them. I quickly fasten my pace as i caught sight of my house.

As i arrived at the front door i heard rustling coming from inside the house. I widened my eyes, scared of what could happened so i quickly opened the door. The house is dark, with the only source of light is from the windows. I called out Maia’s name, trying to look for her, but got no response. As far as my eye could see, nothing seems wrong, the place still looked the same. I slowly walked up to her room, checking if she’s there. I tried to open the door but got shock when someone touch my shoulder. I turned around and get on my defense mode. I sighed in relief seeing Maia standing behind me.

“OH MY GOD.... Maia, you freaking scared me.” i told her, having my hand above my chest. Maia didn’t say anything but rather she enveloped me in a hug. i got startle as she did that, but i slowly put my arms around her, hugging her back. I could feel the warmth of her hug. As i was hugging her my mind starts to have a flashback of Noraa’s death. I then tighten my hug, scared of the feeling of losing someone again. Without me knowing tears starts to roll down my face. Maia then soothed me, rubbing and patting my back, trying to calm me down. I let out a huge breath before finally releasing the hug.

I looked at her, seeing her looking back at me with sadness and also relief. “I’m so glad that you’re safe. I thought that you wouldn’t manage to get back home. You’re not hurt or anything are you?” she held my face on her hands before quickly examined my body.

“No... i’m totally fine. See i’m alive and well... but-” i muttered the couple last words, looking down with sadness and guilt. Tears still streaming down my face.

“What? What happened?” she asked, worried.

“Noraa....she’s....” i slowly said, trying to let the words out. My breathing starts to become uncontrollable as i remember the scene again. I closed my eyes and tried to calm myself down but the memory of her death kept on replaying in my head. i couldn’t take it anymore and finally break down in front of Maia.

“I’m so sorry.... i – i wasn’t able to save her..... i tried to but – but ... everything seems to moves so fast .... the monster’s just.... and - and then i left her... i wanted to save her but the soldiers...” i hiccuped, trying to tell her what happened but couldn’t.

“Oh dear.... sshhh.. calm down, it’s okay... i’m here.” She quickly hugged me, trying to calm me down.

After a couple of minutes had passed, i finally manage to calm down. We went to her room and sat on her bed. She then held both of my hand. “feeling better?” she asked.

I nodded, smiling sadly at her. “So... tell me what had happened?”i told her everything from the moment that i woke up until i arrived at the house, leaving out the figure in the hooded cloak.

“Look... i know that it’s hard for you, but all of this, even her death is not your fault.” She told me with a calming voice. She tried to be strong in front of me. even though i could see it in her eyes that she’s also sad and scared.

“But... if i could save her, she would be alive by now. She helped me and yet i left her there...” i softly murmured, feeling guilty about what happened.

“I told you it is not your fault. I’m sure Noraa doesn’t want you to stay either, cause you would also be dead if you did. If you die just to save or protect her, she would never forgive herself. “ Maia said, assuring me.

“Why did all of this suddenly happened? everything seems to be fine and well this morning but now it’s all turning into chaos and a freaking nightmare.” I said, confused at how everything turned upside down in just a day.

“Do you know or remember what happened at the square?” she asked.

“No.. not really. i began to feel dizzy when the celebration starts and then i collapse. when i woke up everything is already in chaos. So i don’t really know what had happened.” i explained, feeling distraught about everything.

“what is the last thing that you remember before you collapse?” she asked, curiously.

“I heard a scream, after that everything turns black.” I told her, leaving out the part about the person in the hooded cloak.

“Is that all? Nothing more?” she questioned me.

“No... nothing.” I lied. She then nodded at my reply. “So.. what happened?”

“Well.. the kingdom is currently under attack by these soldiers and monsters. I know that it seems impossible but apparently those monsters are real. Right when the celebration began an enormous monster appeared along with the soldiers and they started to attack people. All the electricity and communication are shut down, even all the vehicle can’t be used.” Maia slowly explained. I felt shivers as a listened to her.

“What about the other kingdom and the guardian or the guards? Can’t they protect the kingdom?” i questioned.

“They did.. a lot of guards got killed by those soldiers. Even the elysian people who has powers couldn’t manage to attack them. It seems that they have this powerful magic that made them strong.” She said.

“There’s also this rumors going around that the king is either missing or got killed.” She continued. “Now the kingdom is in chaos and danger. Red signal has been sent to the others kingdom and they are on their way to help the kingdom but i dont know when they will come. That’s all i know for now.”

She then got up and grabbed some clothes from her closet. “So.. what are we gonna do?” i asked, confused about the situation. She looked at me. “We have to get out of here. It is not safe, especially for you.” She said. I burrowed my eyebrows at her. “Me? Why me? What do you mean by that?” i saw her putting her clothes in her bag.

“Aleena.. you’re not just an ordinary girl. You have something in you, something special.” She said, closing her bag. She then walked towards me, reaching for my hand and holding it. “I feel like this is not the right time to tell you but... there’s something that you should know.” As Maia wanted to tell me something, we heard a loud crash coming from outside. Panic was shown in Maia widened eyes. “...they found us” she murmured.

She hurriedly grabbed her bag and my hand, pulling me out of the room. “We have to go now!!” she command. “Wait!! What do you want to tell me?” i asked as i followed her. The moment we’re out of her room, we could see our front door was shattered into pieces. I stood and looked at it in shock. Maia cursed as she saw the door. She then pulled me, who was standing in shock, towards the back door. “Come on... we have to get out of here.”

“You haven’t answer my question yet.” I told her, feeling shock, confused, and scared at the same time. “We have no time... come on! Follow me!!” she ordered. I looked at her with confusion, but still followed her nonetheless. We ran out of the house and towards the road that is headed to the border line of the kingdom.

“Where are we running to Maia?” i yelled, since our surrounding is very noisy. “I’ll tell you later.. just follow me.” she told me. i nodded at her reply, not question anything further. As we were running, we suddenly heard a loud monster cry from behind us. I glanced back to see the soldiers are already chasing us, following from behind is dozens of monster. The amount of soldiers that’s after us shocked me as it was more than 50, plus with the addition of the monsters. I could feel chills running down my spine. ‘what the hell do they want?’ i thought to myself.

“!” i heard Maia cursed. I shifted my eyes toward Maia, noticing that she has stopped running and fear is shown on her face. i looked towards where she was looking and became scared at the sight that is currently in front of us. I stopped my track and stood beside her. In front of us there is more than 100 soldiers and dozen of monsters coming from the border line. Around us more and more screams are now audible.

“Maia....” i whispered, loud enough for her to hear. “What are we going to do?” i asked. I gulped at the sight the amount of soldiers and monsters that is increasing.

“We have to go through another route... come on.” She said, sounding unbaffled by the scene. She then went to another street, dodging and running pass the people that are fighting and running from the soldiers. I followed right behind her.

A couple of minutes has passed since we left the house. We’re already quite close to the border line. I thought that both me and Maia would make it, but the universe just wasn't on our side. As we were running, we heard a loud monster cry that is close to us. And out of no where, a monster is flying above us. We both stopped running and stood there frozen.

Suddenly from our left side comes soldiers with weapons. Somehow one of them manage to grab Maia. I yelled her name in shock and panic. While i was scared for Maia another soldier was behind me and grabbed both of my arm. The soldier then hold his weapon in front of my throat, making me unable to move. I could feel his strong grip on my arms.

“Stay still and don’t fight if you want you and your other friend over there dead.” I heard him whispered in my ear. I could feel goosebumps as i heard his voice. It is so chilling and scary.

I looked at Maia and see that she is fighting and struggling against the soldier that is holding her. Suddenly i noticed Maia grabbed something from her bag. I widened my eyes as i saw what she took out. She took out a sword from the bag and began fighting the soldier. She managed to hurt and attack a couple of soldiers from around her. Seeing her fighting back made my adrenaline seems to rush. I slowly took a long breath and encourage myself before kicking the soldier in the leg. As my hands got free from his grip ,since he was shock by my sudden move, i quickly twisted his arm and made him drop his weapon. I grabbed it and point it at him. The weapon felt a little heavy in my hand, but i still manage to hold it in a steady manner.

He looked up at me and smirk. “What? You think you can fight me?” he snobbishly said.

I smirked at him. And without warning i launch myself and attack him with the weapon. I actually managed to hurt him as the weapon sliced his right arm, making it bleed heavily. ‘Holy ... this weapon is really sharp’

He seemed to be shock by my move and look at me with hatred. I smugly looked at him and let out a small smile. “Aleena...” i heard Maia called my name. I glance behind me and saw Maia on the ground. My eyes widened as i see her current state. I looked around her and found that all the soldiers are down. I quickly looked at the soldier in front of me again and attack him once more in the shoulder, making him fall down.

I then ran toward Maia, dropping the weapon and kneeling beside her. “Are you okay?” i asked, worried. “Yeah.. i’m fine. Come on.. we need to go before the rest of them arrive.” She said, slowly getting up from the ground but her body became unstable. I manage to caught her before she fall onto the ground. I heard her murmured a small cuss as she checked her leg. I saw her expression turned into a pain one.

“What? What’s wrong?” i asked, confused at her expression.

“My leg... it’s wounded.” She answered, wincing at the pain. i shifted my eyes to her leg, noticing an open wound on the left leg. “W-what happened?” i stuttered, seeing the ugly wound on her leg.

“I guess one of them manage to attack without me realizing it.” she groaned. She tried to get up again with my arms around her shoulder, supporting her but her wounded leg can’t seem to uphold her body. She cursed as she fell onto the ground again.

She looked at me. “I don’t think i can go on from here. My leg is too badly wounded. I can’t run.” she explained. I shook my head at her words, not wanting to leave her. “No... no. Not again, not after what happened with Noraa.” I opposed her. Tears suddenly welling up in my eyes.

“Al... you should know that i love you, i always have. I’m sorry if i can’t protect you and take care of you.” She said, holding onto my hand.

“No... Maia, i’m not leaving you. I can’t ... i wouldn’t” i sternly said. She shakes her head. “No.. i told you, you are what they are after. They wanted you.”

“I don’t care if it’s me that they wanted. I will never leave you.” Tears are already falling down my face. i must look like a complete mess right now. I ripped some of my clothes and wrapped it around her wound, trying to help her. Her blood from the wound already smeared onto my hands.

She pulled my face to look at her. She wiped the tears on my cheek and faintly smiled at me. “Look... i understand if you don’t want to leave me but it is not something that you should choose. I know it’s hard but you have to leave.” She calmly said.

“You’re a very special girl... you may not realize it yet but trust me there’s something more in you than you know.” She continued. I know that she is trying so hard not to cry and be strong for me. i scanned her expression and looked at her eyes. she has this sweet smile plastered on her face, the smile that i love and always calm me down. Seeing that smile i quickly embrace her. She embrace me back. I could feel her finally letting out her tears. I then tighten my arms around her. 

“Listen... you have to go. Leave this place. Go beyond the border line and walk toward the south. Follow the blue star and let the nature lead you. And then you’ll find it, the crystal palace. It’s the place where you will be safe.” She whispered to my ear. I furrowed my eyebrows as i heard her instruction.

“Did you hear what i said?” i responded her with a nod. “Good..”

“Why can’t you just come. I could hold you up-- ” my words got cut off by her. “No... it would just slow you down. Those soldiers will be able to caught us if you support my body. It’s not gonna happened.” she quickly declined.

Suddenly we heard a loud growl and cry coming from the border line. We quickly let go of each other and shifted our eyes. By the border line there was 5 monster flying towards us and along with them there’s soldiers. “..!” i heard Maia growled.

I looked toward where she was looking and found that more soldiers have arrived. She quickly averted her eyes to me. “Aleena... you have to go now before it’s too late.” She said. She then pulled her body towards her bag and her sword.

“What... NO!!” i argued. She turned her head and glared at me. “Aleena Rosevelt. Listen to what i say... GO! Leave this place!!” she command with her strong voice.

I shake my head, rebelling against her word. “ALEENA!!” she command.

Suddenly, out of nowhere the ground shakes. We looked up and see a monster has just land a couple of feet from us. I widened my eyes at the size of the monster. it’s my first time seeing it this close. I then felt my body being turned towards Maia.

“Aleena.... you have to go. Ran away from here as fast as you can. You remember my instruction right?” she asked. I nodded at her still with a shock expression. “Good.. also take care of the necklace and the hairpin that i gave you alright!! They will help you along the way.”

“Wait what?” i replied, confused with her words. “Go Now!!”she pushed my body away from her. We heard the monster growled. We looked at where it was and saw that it starts to approach us.

“ALEENA!!” Maia yelled. “Wait... what about the thing that you wanted to tell me about?” i questioned her, in panic.

“Go to the Crystal Palace, there’s someone that will explain everything to you. Her name is Janessa.” She said. “Aleena... Go!” she yelled. She quickly picked up her sword and getting up to a kneeling position. She slowly steady herself and stood up. i could see her body shaking because of trying to hold onto the pain. i watched her from behind as she slowly walked, her leg limping because of the wound. I just stood there, fear seems to control my body as i couldn’t move a muscle. Just like before, i can’t seem to do anything to help her. I felt useless as i watch Maia stood in front of the monster who was trying to approach me.

“Aleena... i know you’re still standing there. LEAVE...!!” She demanded. She glance back at me. “Please... leave.” She whispered, loud enough for me to hear. She looked at me with pleading eyes. i saw her gulped before turning around and holding the sword up high.

The monster howled and charge towards her. She tried to balance herself while trying to fight off the monster, attacking it with the strength that she had left. Suddenly the monster swing his tail and manage to hit Maia. She became unbalance and fall. The monster then pick her up, her swords slipping off her hand and fall to the ground.

I looked at the sight in shock and fear. ‘No.. No..No..’ i repeat those words in my head. I shook my head, not believing on what might happen. “MAIA!!!” i cried out. Tears has wet my face as i called her name. She glanced at me and faintly smiled.

Not a moment after, the monster cry out his monster-like sound and pierced Maia body with his huge claws. “NOOO!!!!” i screamed. I could see Maia eyes starts to roll back and her body going limp, as her soul began to leave her body. My body became stiff and shaken as i saw the scene.

The monster took out it’s claws from her body and drop her body. It then looked at me with its red glowing eyes. i could hear the sound of the soldiers coming closer and arriving at the scene. i swallowed my saliva and clench my fist. I took a deep breath and looked at Maia’s body one more time. Seeing it just lie there, lifeless, makes my heart drop. I closed my eyes, trying to calm myself down. ‘I can do this... i have to, for Maia and Noraa.’ Both their faces appeared in my mind, smiling at me.

I re-opened my eyes and quickly turned around. I ran and ran, not looking back at the scene. leaving the monster, the soldiers, and lastly Maia.

 


 

So sorry for the late update. I've been very busy with my college.

This chapter is also quite hard for me to write that's why it kind of took a longer time for me to publish it. 

anyway, hope you guys enjoy it. do comment and subscribe if you like the story.

also thank you for those who had subscribed and commented, i love you <3

 

PS. spoiler : for the next chapter there is going to be some action from the boys. do anticipate it ;)