D-Day

The Heart Of Amaranthine

“ ...” i rambled to myself, running around my room trying to get ready as fast as i could. I didn’t even care to look at what i’m wearing since i’m already late for the celebration. I just snatch up the first clothes that caught my eyes and went to the bathroom to change. I put on a simple make up so that at least i look presentable enough. i looked at the clock on my phone and cursed silently as i see the time. I quickly grab my keys and phone before heading towards the kitchen. I grab one of the toast on the table and quickly drink the milk that has been poured by Maia. “See you later... got to hurry” i bid my cousin goodbye. I went straight for my motorcycle and rode it to the main square where the celebration are being held.

“Out of all days.. why do i have to wake up late today. Damn it!!” i cursed again as the road traffic is getting into me. After being on the road for about a couple of minutes, which more like hours to me, i finally arrived at the destination. I parked my motorcycle around the corner of the square. I tried to called Noraa as soon as i got off. I walked slowly toward where all the people are currently gathering.

“ Noraa... why are you not picking up!” annoyed at Noraa for not picking up my calls. I tried once more as i scanned the square looking for her.

I finally gave up after trying to call her a couple of times. I decided to go and just look around the square, maybe i’ll find her near the place we promised to meet.

After walking for around 10 minutes, i started to find something really strange. The crowd of people who is usually very loud somehow became really quiet, like i can even hear the sound of my breathing. I scanned my surrounding, seeing how strange the people are acting. I tried to find anyone who seems normal, but all of them is acting so weird. I took a small glance at their eyes, and as far i see all of them looks so empty.

“what the hell is happening... is this some kind of prank.” I quietly murmured. I started to slowly walk backwards, avoiding the crowd. I checked my phone for any text or call from Noraa, but i found my phone to be dead. i strangely look at my black phone screen. I tried to turn it on again but nothing happened. “What?! I swore that i have a full battery when i left the house..” i questioned myself.

As i was trying to figured out what had happened to my phone, i suddenly bumped my back into someone. “Im so sor-” my eyes widened as i looked at who’s behind me. it’s the same person in a hooded cloak that i had seen in my dream before. Its eyes is still shining a bright red color just like before. i stumbled back to get myself away from him, but then i trip on something hard that cause me to fall on my back. Once i got into a sitting position, ready to stand up, i felt my hands touch some weird sticky substance on the ground. I took a look at what it is. I widened my eyes at stuff that’s on my hands. i swallowed my saliva as i kept on looking at both of them. Realization suddenly hits me, i diverted my eyes to my surrounding where i fall. I saw a pool of red substance and the smell of iron crawling up  my nose, blood. My breathing starts to quicken and my heart beating fast. I finally look at the thing that cause me to fall, and that thing is no other than a body. A dead body. After somehow getting to my senses, i finally screamed. I backed away from the body and starts to stand up from the ground.

I panickly looked around, but what i saw right in front of me now is a terrifying scene. Rather than the scene before, where everyone stood still, now it’s more of a chaos. People are running around, in a state of panic and screaming. Everywhere i set my eyes on, there’s pools of blood, dead bodies, and people screaming in horror and agony. The square is in chaos, it is now filled with not only the citizen of the kingdom but with the addition of tons of soldier with a black and red uniform, just like the hooded person. I tried to get away from the square, but it’s no luck. I felt my body has become as still as stone. I can’t seem to move any parts of my body.

 

Suddenly i heard a loud weird cry. I look at where that cry is coming from and saw something that i couldn’t believe exist in todays generation. I saw a couple of huge monster like creatures flying in the sky. It had huge wings, horns on their head, sharps teeths, and a loud monsterious cry. And with that, more hysterical cries is heard from all around me.

But, out of everything that i had seen in the chaos, there’s that one person that caught my eyes. The person in a hooded cloak that i had been seeing. It is there, standing in the middle of all the chaos. Standing a couple of feets away from me with bright red eyes that is staring down at me. If looks could kill, then i would be dead by now. Like literally, the way that person is looking at me is like as if he wants me dead.

Both me and the person has had a stare down for about a couple of minutes, before its finally starts to move towards me. I widened my eyes at his movement. I quickly try to run away, but it’s no use as my body is stuck. I don’t know what’s currently happening to me but i’m guessing it’s that persons doing.

I look upfront and panic start to flashes across my eyes as i see that the person has already halfway across to where i’m now. i tried to move my body once more but it is useless, then i tried to scream for anyone to help me but once i open my mouth nothing came out.

I saw that the person is coming closer and faster as ever. I try to took a deep breath before letting out a loud scream. I can feel my lungs burning as i try my hardest to let my voice to be loud and clear. It’s hurting, my lungs starts to hurt the longer i tried. I took all of my last energy i had before letting out another huge scream that finally could be heard. My head then starts to spin as i can feel my body giving up and my eyes starts to roll back. I black out the moment that person finally arrive infront of me.

***

I inhaled a huge amount of air and opened both of my eyes, quickly sitting up straight. I scanned my surrounding, I let out a sigh of relieved as I notice that I am currently at my room. I checked my whole body to see if there’s anything wrong. Thankfully everything seems fine. I looked at the clock beside my bed, seeing that it’s already 7.00AM i kicked my blanket, getting out of bed and went to the bathroom. I did a small breathing exercise in front of the mirror, to calm myself down, before finally going into the shower. After finish cleaning myself, I walked to the closet and picked the clothes that I’m gonna wear today. After a couple of minutes looking through my wardrobe, I decided to go with a High waisted ripped jeans, a magenta sweater crop top, and a pair of black boots. I look at the mirror for one last time before grabbing my bag and went to the kicthen.

But before even stepping outside of my room, I felt a sudden burning sensation on my arm. I stopped my tracks, quickly rolling both of my sleeve to check if there is something  wrong. I gasped as I saw what’s on my arm. The tattoo that had been on my arm ,and had dissapeared last Monday, has now came back. But unlike before, the color has become more darker and it shapes also starts to become more visible and larger.

I don’t know what it is and why it suddenly show up again, but one thing I know is that it is bringing the pain back. It is not as worse as before but it is still quite painful.

I was so focused on examining my arms that I didn’t notice someone came into the room. “Aleena…” I jumped at the sound of my name being called. I looked towards the entrance door and see Maia standing there. “Oh.. Hai Maia.” I unrolled my sleeves to cover the skin and hide them behind my back.

“Is there something wrong?” she asked, worried.

“Nothing..” I replied casually.

“Oh..Okay then… come on, breakfast is ready.” She told me as she walks away from the door. I quietly sigh before following her to the kitchen.

When i arrived at the kitchen, I could see my favorite food being displayed on the table. “Okay… What is this?” I questioned her. i looked at her as she walked towards me while hiding something behind her back.

She then stopped infront of me with a huge giddy smile on her face. I raised my eyebrows looking at her expression. She giggled before holding out a decorated box with a bow on top of it. “Happy 18th Birthday…”

I looked at her with confusion before realizing what day it is today. “Wow… thanks Maia. You know you don’t have to do this right?” I accepted her gift. I examined it before looking back at her again. “I know… but I’m your cousin so of course I have to do it.” She smiled. I thanked her once more and went on to hug her. she hugged me and patted my back.

She let go of me and stepped back a bit. “Come on.. opened it” she excitedly said, rushing me to open the gift. I laugh a little and shaked my head before finally opening it.

I looked inside the box, seeing two items in it. I held out one of the items, which is a butterfly hairpin. “That one is from me.” I smiled at the beautiful accessories that’s in my hand. “Thank you, it is beautiful.” I look at it once more before looking up at Maia and smiled at her.

I put the hairpin on the table. I looked into the box again to get the other item. I was mesmerized by the beauty of the other gift. I take the item out and held it in my hand. It is a beautiful white necklace with crystals and a charm, where at the center there is a red stone, attached to it. I was taken back by its beauty, I couldn’t take my eyes off of it. “That one is actually from your parents.” I shifted my widened eyes from the necklace to Maia, shocked by her words.

“What?!” I exclaimed, can’t believe at what I heard. “From my parents?”

“Yes.. it’s from them. They asked me to keep it safe for them before they were gone.” She said, whispering the last part of her sentence. She lowered her head a little before looking up and smiled at me. Eventhough her expression seems fine, but I could see it in her eyes, the emotion of sad and pity. “They told me to give it to you on your 18th Birthday.”

I give out a small assuring smile at her. I looked back at the necklace, examining it, before I hold it close to me. “Thank You for keeping it safe for me. It means a lot.” I looked up at her. “Atleast now.. I have something that can remind me of my parents.”

“Do you want me to help you putting it on?” She asked, holding out her hand for me. I smiled at her and gave her the necklace. I turned around and held my hair up for her. she put the necklace on my neck. I looked down at the necklace that is now resting on my chest. I smiled looking at how beautiful it is.

I turned back around and quickly hug Maia. I hugged her tightly, I could feel that she smiled at me before hugging back. “Thank you so much… this is amazing. I Love You” I thanked her. “ I Love You too.”

I let go of the hug and held her hand. I smiled happily at her. I then remember the hairpin that she gave me. I let go of her hands and get the hairpin that’s on the table. I styled my hair up and wear the hairpin. I looked back at her and cutely posed. “So… how do I look?”

“You look beautiful as always.” She cutely laugh. “Anyway… come on let’s eat!!” I nodded at her before sitting at one of the chair.

***

I went out of the house after I bid goodbye to Maia. I get on my motorcycle and rode towards the place where me and Noraa had decided to meet up. The ride to the square took quite a long time since today is one of the biggest celebration of the year. I parked my motorcyle in the parking lot not far from the street. I walked towards the streets that is filled with decorated shops and busy people. I looked around the streets a little bit before finally walking to the meet up place. I arrived at the place ,which is on the left side of the square, and waited for Noraa. I looked at the time and it is 20 minutes until 9.00. I sighed and put my phone away. I scanned the area to look if Noraa is anywhere near, but i found nothing other than a huge crowd pilling up in the middle.

Seeing the crowd of people remind me of the nightmare that i had last night, with people running here and there screaming for help, dead bodies and blood everywhere your eyes can see. I shivered at the thought of it, i never wanted to feel those kind of feelings again. I don’t know why but the past few dreams that i had has been hauting me everyday. I could never get those images off of my head. Why do i kept on dreaming of them, it is seriously making my head hurts.

“ALEENA!!!” I jumped at the sound of my name being called, snapping me out of my thoughts. I search around trying to find where the voice is coming from and found Aaron walking and squeezing through the crowds. He finally arrived and smiled as he stood in front of me. “Oh...It’s just you Aaron. What’s up?”

“Hey Al... nothing. I just want to greet you.” I nodded at his response. “So.. how is it going?”

“Been busy all morning. I have to go from place to place to check up on each section.” He replied, looking around the square and checking his phone from time to time. “I see...a busy boy aren’t you!” i .

He laughed at my words. “Yeah... i guess you can say that.” He let out a cute smile before looking at me. “What about you? Why are you here alone?”

“Well... you see, this spot right here is where i should have met your other half 20 minutes ago.” I sarcasticly said.

Aaron looked at me a confused face before finally realizing who i meant. “Ohhh... You mean Noraa?!” i nodded my head as a reply. “Yup... last night both of us have decided to meet up here at 8.30AM, But... its already past 20 minutes now and she haven’t showed up yet.” I rolled my eyes at the thought of her.

“Have you called her?” he asked as he checked his phone again.

“Of course. I’ve already called her a couple of times but she didn’t pick up any of it.” i let out an annoyed sigh. I looked back to the crowd full of creatures and human that range from children to elderly. The square is a lot more packed and crowded than any of the time before, usually it’s never been this full.

“There’s a lot more people attending this year celebration than the past few years.” I said, suprised at the amount of people that keep on coming.

“Yeah... i realize it too. I’ve been getting updates on the amount of attendees that’s keep rising up every few minutes.” I heard him sigh while still looking at his phone. “I wonder what’s their reason to come to this year celebration more than last year.”

“It’s probably because of the rumor.” I calmly said. I watched the little kids running here and there happily, i smiled a little at their cute behaviour.

“I’m sorry... What? What rumor?” Aaron suddenly asked. He stopped from typing on his phone and looked at me with confusion. I looked back at him, furrowing my eyebrows. “You know.. that rumor about the king apperance at the celebration. Didn’t you hear about it?” he shook his head at my question. I widened my eyes at him, surprise at his response. “Really?! Now that’s surprising. Everybody is like talking about it.”

“Well... i guess i’m too busy planning all of that i didn’t even notice about it.” He shrugged at me before continuing typing something on his phone.

“You’re a part of the creator group who planned this celebration right? So... Aren’t you supposed to know about this kind of stuff?.” I asked suspiciously.

“Well.. yes, but even in the main group itself i haven’t heard anything about it at all.” He said without even looking at me.

“Okayyyy... I guess you guys are really busy huh?!” He nodded, still focus on typing stuff in his phone.

I looked at him a little longer, waiting for other kind of respond other than just a nod, however he still keep his eyes on the phone. I let out a sigh and rolled my eyes at him. I looked back at the loud crowd just a couple of feet away. Once again i tried to look for any sign of Noraa in the crowd, hoping that she’s here somewhere, but the result is still negative. i checked my phone to see if there is any news from her but it came out empty. I let out another huge sigh as i look at the time that is shown on my phone, it is already 9.15AM. There’s only 15 minutes left until the celebration starts. I shove my phone back to my pocket and look at Aaron who is still busy with his phone.

“Hey... you’re her twin right? And you live in the same house, so.. didn’t you see her this morning?” i asked, desparate to know where Noraa is. “Hey.. Aaron!!”

Aaron finally looked up from his phone and shifted his eyes towards me. “Huh? Yeah... Sorry. What?” I annoyingly looked at him and quickly flicked his forehead with my fingers. He groaned at the pain that he receive. I smirked at him being in pain. “Ow... what did you do that for?!” he whined, rubbing the spot where i hit him.

“That is because you’re not listening to me.” i crossed my arms in front of my chest.

“Alright.. I’m sorry. God damn it!! you’re just as annoying as my sister.” He muttered, kind of annoyed at what i just did. I chuckled at his little annoyance before asking him again.

“I said.. you both live under the same roof right?! So.. have you seen her this morning?”

He looked back at me while still rubbing the pain away from his forehead. “No...sadly i didn’t. I woke up early this morning and went straight here to prepare for the celebration. So i haven’t seen her at all today.”

“Seriously?! Both of you are twins but yet you guys act so different from each other.” I heard him chuckled at my words.

Suddenly i heard the sound of a phone ringing, i quickly check my phone to see if it’s Noraa but my phone isn’t the one who is ringing. I looked up, finding Aaron holding his phone before answering it. i rolled my eyes and annoyingly shoved my phone back.

I diverted my eyes towards the crowd again, seeing how cheerful and happy they are. I could hear them singing along to the kingdom anthem that’s blowing out on the speakers and excitedly dancing to it. Colorful decorations with the symbol of the each kingdom being held up on a string above us, confetti being thrown here and there, ballons and lights everywhere. Each of them making the celebration become more cheerful and beautiful.

i scanned my eyes across the area, looking for something interesting other than people who’s singing and dancing around. Suddenly my eyes see something that’s seem out of place. My eyes caught someone who is standing in the middle of the crowd. I squinted my eyes to take a good look at the person. The person is not dancing and singing like everybody else around it. it just stood there, like a statue. i couldn’t really see the person well enough because of the people that is blocking my sight, but i could tell that it is wearing some kind of weird fashion, either a cloak or a robe. I tried to take a good look at the person again, however i finally gave up since it is impossible because of the crowd getting bigger.

As a couple of minutes passed, i kept on spacing out and somehow the voice of Aaron that’s talking on the phone near me slowly has become distance from me. I could feel my head spinning and my eyes starts to get a little bit blurry. I felt a great pounding in my head. The sound of people laughing, singing, and talking also starts to blur and disappear in the background. I held my head and closed my eyes to lessen the pain that’s going through my head.

Suddenly i heard faint sound. At first i couldn’t made up what the sound is, but after a while it started to get clearer. Now i could hear someone calling my name. I slowly open my eyes and looked at my surrounding. Trying to find out who is calling me. i checked towards Aaron but he is still busy talking with someone on his phone. I scanned the area once more, searching for the person who is calling for me.

Finally, i landed my eyes on a person. A person who had been standing there, alone, in the middle of the crowd. The person who seems out of place with the clothes that it is wearing and with unrecognizable movement. I tried to focus on the person who’s now looking back at me, staring me down. I scanned the person from top to bottom, and then take a look at its face. Suddenly i felt both a scared and a shocked wave of feeling runs through me. i could feel a shiver ran down my spine. Eventhough i couldn’t really take a good look at the person because of my blurry eyes, but i could tell who that person is by its eyes and the clothes that it is wearing. I wouldn’t ever forget that clothes and those red glowing eyes that had been haunting me this past few days.

That person who is currently looking straight at me is the same person that had appeared in my dreams. It is the person in the hooded cloak. I could feel my heart began to beat fast, scared of the person who i assumed has been calling for me. i could hear the faint sound of my name being called by it. I don’t know why but i could feel that it is the one that has been calling me.

I could feel my body becoming still and everything around me seem to slowly disappear. The sound and noise that came from the people around me now has become a distance thing and through my vision i could see everyone becoming a huge blur. I couldn’t hear or see anything other than that person. I couldn’t take my eyes off of it, those red eyes that feels like it’s trying kill both everything and everyone that is on its path and swallow it all up. he just stood there observing me and calling my name.

I swallowed my saliva and could feel my head starts to spin again. I closed my eyes tightly, trying to get rid of the image of that person. I felt sweat starts to roll down my face. i could feel my body began to shake and my head hurting badly. My heart is beating faster and my breathing become uncontrolable. I could hear my name being chanted by it over and over again. At first it was soft but after a while it is getting louder and closer to me.

“HEY ALEENA !!! AL!!”

I let out a huge gasp and opened both of my eyes. Now, everything seems back to normal. I could hear the laughter and the cheer of the crowd, dancing and singing happily in front of me. everything has become loud and noisy again. I shifted my eyes towards where that person stood, but i found it gone. I couldn’t see any sight of him. All i could see is just a crowd full of people having fun.

“Hey AL!!” I jumped at touch of someone hand on my shoulder. i turned around and see Aaron standing there, looking at me. i’m guessing that he is already done talking through the phone.

“Yeah??” I confusedly answered him.

“Look... i’m sorry but i have to go now. There’s some trouble in another section that i need to tend to.” He apologized.

“Oh.. yeah sure. No problem.” I said without even really looking at him. I shifted my eyes through my surrounding, trying to search for the where about of that person.

“Really though... i wish i could stay and accompany you while you are waiting for Noraa.” I just silently nodded at him without even caring or listening to what he said next. I was to busy searching for that certain someone.

“Hey... Aleena. Aleenaaa?!” i felt someone grab my arm and turned me around. I found Aaron looking at me worried. “Huh? What?”

“Are you okay? Is there something wrong? You look kind of scared.” He said, worried at my weird behaviour.

I blinked a couple of times at him before finally answering. “Oh...yeah. i’m totally fine. I’m just worried about Noraa. I don’t know..maybe she’s lost in the crowd or something.” I lied.

“Okay then.. are you sure? You know if you want me to say and wait with yo-” i cutted him off.

“No!! Don’t!! Look.. I’ll be fine. You don’t have to worry about me.” i assured him.

“You’re busy and you need to go. The others need you more than i need you here with me. you’re a lot more useful to them.” I said, trying to convince him to go.

“Alright then.... If you say so.” He lightly sighed. His eyes then suddenly widened at something.

“Oh.. wait i almost forgot.. here” he let go of my arm, and then took out something from his pocket and gave it to me. “Happy Birthday...!!!” he sweetly smiled.

“Oh.. wow... thanks.” I thanked him, receiving the small decorated box. I looked up at him.

“I already told you no gifts, right?” I remind him.

“Yes i know. You said that you didn’t want any gifts, and that you hate celebrating your birthday. But.. i want to celebrate it so.. there you go!” he explained. He then urge me to open his gift.

I chuckled and shaked my head a little before opening his gift. I opened the box, and inside of it i found a cute charm bracelet. I took it out and take a closer look at it. it has a lot of cute charms attached to it, but what caught my eyes the most is the butterfly charms.

“I know that you like butterflies so.. i pick those charm myself. I thought of you the moment i saw it.” he looked at me a soft and sincere smile.

I averted my eyes and met his gaze. “It’s beautiful... it really is. Even if i told you not to get me a gift but... i really appreciate this one. So.. thank you.” I looked away from him and look to the bracelet.

“Here... let me help you wear it.” he told me. he took the bracelet from my hand. He put it on my wrist and then let it dangle on it. At the moment he did those, i could feel butterflies in my stomach. The moment he touch me, i felt shiver ran down my spine.

“There... now that is perfect. It actually a match to your whole outfit, especially with the necklace.” He smiled at me. And when he did that, i somehow feel my whole world stop spinning for a second.

“Is it new? The necklace i mean.” I slightly shaked my head to get out of myself out my thoughts.

“Oh.. no. It’s actually a gift that has been left from my parents.” I touch the necklace and could feel a warm feeling from it.

“Wow...Really?!” He looked quite surprised. “ That’s great then... it must mean a lot.” He slightly murmured.

“Yeah.. it is.” I looked up from my necklace and met up with two pair of beautiful eyes. I stared back into his eyes, and i could feel this some sort of weird emotion coming from it.

“You look beautiful by the way. The look that you have now really matched you.” He stated, still looking deeply into my eyes.

I finally looked away from our little staring contest. “Thanks..” i whispered. I could feel a slight blush appeared on my cheeks as i thanked him, hoping he didn’t see it. My heart somehow began to beat faster. ‘Knock it off heart.’ I scolded myself.

“By the way.. why is there only one stone on it when there is a couple of empty spots around it.” he suddenly questioned me.

I took a glance at my necklace and touch it. “Hmmm.. i don’t really know. My cousin just gave it to me like this.” I answered, confused by it also. I then shrugged it off and looked up at him again.

“Anyway... shouldn’t you be going now? I thought you have something urgent to do.” I quickly reminded him. He then looked at me, widening his eyes as he remember what he was about to do before.

“Oh My Gosh!!! ... okay. I think i’ll be going now.” He said, looking at his phone screen.

“You know if need anything, have any problem or maybe feeling a little bit sick you can call me, okay?!.” he said. A little worried showing in his eyes.

“Okay... i know. Thank you, but i think i’ll be fine.” I patted his shoulder.

“Okay. Good.” He nodded. He then come towards me. Slightly hugging me for a minute before he finally let go, but still gripping both of my arms. “You know what.. maybe i probably should stay here a little longer-”

“NOO!!! Just go already. I told you i’ll be fine. You don’t have to worry about me.” I pushed him, telling him to just leave.

“Alright.. alright. I’ll go now. Try calling her again.” He said, trying to make any excuse for him to stay.

“Yeah.. alright. I will. Bye!!” i bid him goodbye and try to push him to leave. He waved me goodbye and finally took his leave. I sigh and laugh at him, waving back at him. But before he left, i somehow caught his eyes shifting towards my left arm. I glanced to where he was looking at and slightly widened my eyes. I quickly cover up the skin that was showing the weird tattoo with my sleeve. I looked at him again and smiled, acting like nothing happened. He looked up and smiled back at me. He then began to dissapeared in the crowd.

I took out my phone and tried to call Noraa again. I put the phone beside my ear and wait for her to pick up. i then heard the crowd cheers getting louder. I looked around and found out that the celebration is starting.

Suddenly i could feel my head starts to spin again. I groaned and held my head. I looked up and found everything has become blurry once more. The sound of the crowd cheering starts to become distance. my breathing starts to quicken and my heart beating faster again. I could only hear the sound from my phone.

“Hello?” i heard a voice answered through the phone. I was about to answer back but i couldn’t let out any words  as the pain in my head starts to multiply.

I immediately dropped my phone and held my head with both of my hand. i began to see and feel my surrounding starts to spin. as i was in pain, i heard my name being called again by the same voice as before. i looked up, and to my surprise i saw the hooded person again. Now, it is standing in a very close distance to me, about a meter away. It kept on chanting my name over and over again.

I felt my whole body burning and in pain. my heart is beating fast and i feel like i couldn’t breath. My body starts to shake heavily, before finally shutting down. I fell down onto the stoned floor. I couldn’t feel or move my body no more. All i could feel is burning and pain everywhere. I looked straight up, seeing the confetti and decorations everywhere. I could hear a distinct sound of the crowd cheering and singing happily.

My eyes is beginning to feel heavy. I couldn’t bare to force my eyes open. It slowly starts to close. The last thing that i remembered before blacking out is the hooded person hovering over me, staring at me with those red bloody eyes, and a loud frightening scream.

 

 

Sorry for the late update T_T