Act 2: Stealing the Jewel

Steal or Stolen

A night has passed since L and Inspirit arrived in Mizuwari City. They even have sent the announcement letter to the King, to tell him that they will take the Jewel of Moonwalk tonight.

"It's really difficult, isn't it, L?" Inspirit sighs heavily, looking around with worried expression. The King has added the guardians around the tower to ensure the safety of his treasure. "Aish, this will be a long night."

L looks at the tower, sweeping the yard with his eyes carefully to make a detailed plan in his mind. He is standing on the rooftop of a house, thinking about both the way to enter and exit the tower safely.

Being the King of Bandit who is well known as the tricky and smart thief, L doesn't afraid at all about the maximum guard for the jewel. It somehow makes him more excited for the great challenge.

"The moon is shining really bright tonight, Inspirit," a smile form on his lips as he fixes his white tie.

"It's not the time for poetry, L!" Inspirit complaints, flapping its wings impatiently. It has noticed that the time for their plan is approaching.

"I know," L smirks confidently. "It's show time!"

L quickly jumps from roof to roof until they reach the tower. The tail of his trench coat flutters behind him, gaining the attention from the guardians.

"It's him!" one of the guardians shouts out loud. "It's the King of Bandit!"

The other guardians look up to the night sky and prepare their swords to take down the thief. When L has landed safely on the ground, they run to him and stab him with the swords.

The next seconds, all of the guardians have fainted due to the smoke inside of the balloon they stabbed. L used his favorite trick by using a balloon with his form to trick the guardians while he actually has sat at the edge of the window with Inspirit.

"Great trick, L!" Inspirit praises its partner and laughs. "You got that!"

"So you're the King of Bandit, L?"

L turns around to face Amaretto. The Princess stands with sharp gaze, looking back at the thief. "You're going to steal the Jewel of Moonwalk, aren't you?"

"I will...," L approaches the Princess and reaches out his hand to touch her cheek, "...but I will never do any harm to you."

Amaretto can feel her heart just skip a beat by his touch. She takes a step forward and states firmly, "Then I guess you will never have the jewel."

"I don't have the title 'King of Bandit' for nothing, Princess," L takes out a beautiful silver flower from his pocket, placing it near his lips. "Have a good night sleep, Princess."

He blows the flower until Amaretto inhales the magical powders. She falls asleep because of the magical powder. L catches her in time, laying her down on the floor carefully.

"The sleeping flower only work once for one person, L," Inspirit tells him, looking through the window to make sure the guardians are still asleep. "Grab the jewel now and let's run."

"I know...," L mumbles, looking at the girl. He tucks her long hair behind her ear so he can see her face clearly under the moonlight.

L feels a tug in his heart as he touches her right eyes gently. He knows that Amaretto must be really sad by her loneliness for years. If he takes away the Jewel of Moonwalk, the King will never protect Amaretto anymore.

"L!" Inspirit hisses with panic tone. "They are going to wake up soon! Don't waste our time!"

L clenches his fists in silence, feeling uneasy since this is the first time he feels the hesitation to snatch a treasure right in front of him but he must takes the decision quickly or he will get caught by the guardians.

"I'm sorry, Princess."