Chapter 1...

Four Lives
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 1

Luhan was the new joinee in the head quarters oh industries where Sehun had taken up as the head of the management department just a few months before and Sehun was totally cleaned-bowled as soon as the older waked in through the doors of his office. Luhan  being the social butterfly had easily warmed up to Sehun, getting into a reliable friendship. Sehun was head over heels but there was a problem , Kim Minseok. Now three years down the line

It was after their annual Holiday party, Sehun sat by idly  as he watched Luhan go home with his date or his so called best-friend(Sehun didn’t believe it).

Naturally, he gravitated towards Baekhyun, one of his and Luhan’s mutual friends. Baekhyun was in a bad mood as well because he had been dumped earlier that same evening. Baekhyun was the absolute worst at keeping secrets, but it was true what they said; misery does love company.

“You’ll find someone,” Sehun reassured. He wasn’t sure what  point he started to care for his coworkers. That ( HOD management) was supposed to be a temporary job until he started his real career as CEO of the company. And Then he somehow thinks that a few years down the line,  he was still there, unable to leave and with his coworkers as his closest friends, as now he had started taking up the CEO responsibilities from the South Korea branch itself.

“You don’t know that,” Baekhyun replied breaking his thought. “Maybe this is who I am. Maybe I’m supposed to be alone.”

“Come on… that’s just the way things go sometimes. Even when it feels like it’s meant to be. If they don’t feel the same then… what’s the point?” Sehun reasoned.

“Yeah… What do you know, you’ve never been rejected.” Baekhyun said.

Sehun thought about it and maybe he was right. Maybe he had never been rejected, but in the past three years he had gone on one date that Luhan had set up for him (Sehun thought of calling the police because of his date).

“Yeah…” Sehun agreed. “You know, I used to have a big thing for Luhan.” Well he still did ,but that was something he wouldn’t tell Baekhyun when the whole office sincerely ships Luhan & minseok, or as they affectionately called them , LuMin (Sehun gagged everytime he heard it).

Baekhyun turned and looked at him. “Luhan?  Really?”

Sehun nodded. “Yeah .”

“Huh. I never would’ve put you two together.” Baekhyun said as Sehun grimaced. “He is cute.”

Sehun bit his lip. “Yeah. And  funny. And warm. Maybe  a bit dorky. I don't know. ”

Baekhyun met his eyes, “If you like him so much… why don’t you…?”

“He’s got a ‘best-friend’, whom everyone thinks he is dating .”

“Yeah well… it’s not like he’s engaged.”

Sehun frowned. The two of them ended up the party and went home after that.

Sehun had almost forgotten he had shared his secret with Baekhyun. Things went by normal for a little while. Then gossip started spreading that Luhan was planning on proposing to his best-friend. Sehun stayed at his desk and pretended to do work while he listened to some of the girls in the office give Luhan advice on how he should do it who didn’t seem interested at all.

Baekhyun walked in and overheard the conversation, “Wow Luhan, how exciting.” Baekhyun nodded at him as he went by. He entered Sehun’s office to pick up a few files. The while he passed Sehun’s  desk he patted his shoulder and said, “Man, this must be torture for you.”

Sehun sat frozen at his desk for a bit. He realized the situation he had put himself into. He wanted to talk to Baekhyun but he was already out of his office, within the crowd of his office staff. He waited for his chance to single out Baekhyun and talk to him alone. He saw him round the corner to the break room so Sehun got up and followed quickly.

“Hey, Baekhyun,” Sehun called.

He turned, “What’s up?”

“Umm remember that thing I told you about Luhan at the holiday party?”

“Yeah?”

“That was… can we keep that between you and me? It’s kind of a secret.”

“Really? Who else knows?” Baekhyun asked.

Sehun bit his lip. “Nobody.”

“Oh… wow.”

“Yeah, so please,  Baekhyun,” Sehun looked at him. Baekhyun nodded, but he looked nervous. Sehun sighed, he had done all that he could about the situation.

He went back to his desk and tried to resume work as normal. However, a few times throughout the day he overheard others talking about him and Luhan. Baekhyun had definitely managed to tell another person or two. Through no fault of his own probably - he just couldn’t keep a secret.

After they had lunch, Sehun managed to find a second to pull Luhan aside.

“Luhan! Hey,” Sehun said.

“What’s up?” he asked.

Sehun took a deep breath. He knew he had to do this. “I uh… told Baekhyun at the holiday party - it’s so dumb - but anyway I told him that I… had a crush on you,” he paused and tried to gauge his reaction. “But uh, a long time ago. Like when you first started working here. And it’s fine and I’m over it… but I just thought you should hear from me… and not Baekhyun or something.”

Luhan shook his head, “Oh! Yeah no… I uh thought… that you might… back then. It’s fine!”

Sehun nodded not ale to comprehend Luhan’s words. “Okay. Okay cool. Okay. Uh… I have to get back to work.”

“Right, have fun.” Luhan said.

Sehun went back to work, but he felt off the rest of the day. He told himself that telling Luhan was the right thing to do. He didn’t want to lose such a good friend.

-

But after that, things became weird between them. They didn’t talk as much during the day. About a week or so later he was in the break room when he learned the news.

“He’s so sad lately, we should try to cheer him up.” Jongdae said.

“Of course he’s sad, he got rejected. ” Junmeyeon added.

Sehun pretended not to hear them. He just wanted to grab his lunch and get out of there. He was too slow.

“Sehun! Hey! Did you hear?” Jongdae asked.

“Hear what?” Sehun knew they were going to tell him either way.

“Luhan’s proposal got rejected,” Jongdae said.

 “Well, you know… it’s not any of my business so-”

“Yes it is!” Jongdae said. “Aren’t you gonna go after him now?”

“No? What are you talking about?” Sehun asked.

“I’m talking about you being in love with Luhan! He’s finally single for the first time in all the years we have known! Go ask him out already,” Jongdae said.

Sehun frowned. “No, okay. Luhan’s my friend. And that crush thing was a long time ago so no I’m not going to do anything.”

Sehun left the room before they could say anything else.

However, the news of Luhan’s rejection weighed heavily on his mind. Eventually, he convinced himself to buy Luhan his favorite soda from the vending machine and bring it to the boy’s desk. He told himself he didn’t have any ulterior motives. He was just a friend trying to make another friend feel better.

“Hey, got you this,” Sehun said, handing the soda over the des

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter