Gardenias

Coffee and Flowers

 

Wonshik was on his way to the café the next day, ready to set up some flowers. He probably looked tired as , since he barely got any sleep. He was busy (as usual), preparing orders for the next day, and his heart was secretly telling him it might also be because he can’t get this cute clerk out of his head for the whole day but he didn’t wanna admit anything.

 

At least not yet.

 

He went in the café with a struggle and he really could’ve used Hakyeon’s help but he claimed that he was too ‘tired’ and needed some ‘extra sleep’. Wonshik called bull on that but he doesn’t send it to Hakyeon; he doesn’t dare to.

With a heavy sigh, reluctantly, he opened the door and was pleasantly surprised to find no one in the shop yet.

Ok so 6:40 am might be a little too early, but it was a good chance for him to actually clear his mind and get some fresh air. He never really got enough time to clear his mind properly, the usual stress and all the socializing wearing out his body.

So, he took his time in arranging the flowers, as delicate as possible.

He was humming softly to himself at the corner of the café, until he heard a soft jingle at the entrance.

He didn’t bother too much at first, maybe it was just Taekwoon, or maybe time just flew by that quick. You never really keep track of time whenever you’re doing something you truly enjoy.

But he was definitely not expecting that person to sing.

 

This voice was soft, velvet, smooth, and all those good compliments people usually give about voices. But it was somewhat different than others.  Something so unique, that Wonshik can’t exactly pinpoint what about it makes it unique, but he was just simply intrigued.

He quickly wrapped up his final flower for the décor and was actually proud for once at his work. He never really compliments himself that much, he’d never received much either from his younger years anyways. The most that he got are from his closest friends, Hakyeon and Taekwoon.

 

As he went up to the counter, his heart did that weird thumping thing it likes to do whenever he sees him (honestly, he’d only ever seen him once).

 

Jaehwan.

 

He’s wearing a white-collared shirt rolled up to his elbows, with sleek black pants snug around his waistline, complimenting his long and lean legs, along with black dress shoes to give the whole look a classy touch to it. Not to mention his fluffy brown hair.

Apparently Wonshik was too awestruck by the barista that he didn’t notice Jaehwan calling him multiple times.

And so Jaehwan did something.

He went up to Wonshik and stared at him right in the eye, using that smooth voice of his (accompanied with a slight smirk and a glint in his eye, but then again Wonshik was too awestruck to notice all this), and said,

“Wonshik.”

That must’ve woken Wonshik up from his trance because his cheeks immediately became the shade of red that Jaehwan absolutely adored on him.

Wonshik must’ve been so stunned, he even slightly tripped, nearly losing his balance and falling. Luckily though, Jaehwan was there, just in time to catch him.

“Whoah there,” he said with a light chuckle, “you okay?”.

This is where Wonshik started to re-evaluate his whole entire existence, because he doesn’t know what he had done to deserve this, to have someone like Jaehwan talking to him, right now.

“Y-yeah, I guess—I just uh, lost my balance for a bit,” he said while ducking his head. Boy was he heating up already.

“Well, can’t have you falling for me so quickly now, that’d be bad,” Jaehwan said with a playful tone.

At this point, Jaehwan realizes that he’s definitely interested in Wonshik, in ways more than he ever expected from a customer. He realizes that he absolutely adores Wonshik in that bashful flushed shade of red he’s in whenever he’s complimented and teased, so Jaehwan decides that he’ll do those two quite a lot from now on.

Wonshik actually wanted to counter Jaehwan with a question that’s been pestering him ever since this morning. Was it really Jaehwan that was singing?

“H-hey, Jaehwan?” he asks with a soft voice, as if he’ll anger Jaehwan.

“Yes, my dear Shikkie?”

 

 ‘My dear.’

 

For the second time that morning, Wonshik flushed red; he was taken aback by the extra nickname in front of his original nickname. His mind went blank, sirens seemed to go off in his mind because all that he could think of was ‘wow Jaehwan, Jaehwan, Jaehwan’.

Jaehwan just looked so perfect and stunning today, and he was making all sorts of eye contact with him; it was almost too much for Wonshik, too much.

Before Wonshik could become an even more flustered mess, Taekwoon had the perfect timing to arrive.

Taekwoon arrived, saw the two standing awkwardly near the counter, eyeing them curiously. He didn’t say anything about the whole situation though. Even if he had an idea of what’s going on, he doesn’t say a word about it. Just a soft smile adorning his face.

“Oh hyung! For once you’re not late? That’s new.”

“Ha ha, funny Jae, good morning to you too. Hey, Shik,” he said as he approached them.

“H-hi Taek, sorry for bothering so early, but I’ve already set up the whole place for you. Hope it’s alright.”

“Wonshik, if I didn’t like your arrangements, why would I ever lend you an extra key so that you can enter the shop early to set them up?”, sometimes Taekwoon questions himself if he made the right decision to stick with Wonshik throughout all these years.

 

(He’s sure he made the perfect one though.)

 

“I’d love for you to stay and perfect everything here to your desires, but Hakyeon texted and said he really needs your help, soon.”

Wonshik was a little disappointed he had to leave so soon, he hadn’t even had the chance to ask Jaehwan yet. But work is work, so he obediently decided to help Hakyeon out. Not like he had a choice to stay anyways.

 

Just as he was about to leave though, Wonshik suddenly remembered something.

 

“Oh, right! Jaehwan, here—your scarf. Th-thank you for letting me borrow it yesterday,” he gently took it out of his bag. It smelled fresh and clean since he just got it out of the laundry the other day. He carefully held the scarf in his hands, waiting for Jaehwan to patiently get it back.

 

Although, that never happened.

 

“Uh—Jaehwan? Y-your scarf?” he simply looked at Jaehwan who’s eyes were softly creased and a small smile adorning his face. Wonshik was confused to say the least.

 

“No, no. It’s ok, Shikkie. You can keep it!” he said a little too excitedly.

 

Jaehwan can’t possibly tell Wonshik that his heart completely melts into this puddle of mess and warmth just by thinking of Wonshik wearing something of his. He can’t possibly tell that he loves the idea of giving Wonshik more gifts in the future just to see him smile. He can’t possibly tell that he’s completely infatuated with Wonshik.

 

“Wow Jaehwan, suddenly a gentleman huh. Just so you know, that scarf costs more than you think it does, Shik! That’s why he adores it so much,” Taekwoon gladly informs him, “be glad that you get the privilege to own such a thing when I wasn’t even allowed to just touch the damn fabric the slightest bit!” he shouted louder than usual, emphasising it just for Jaehwan.

 

With this newfound information, Wonshik immediately snapped his head to Jaehwan.

“H-How much was this scarf, Jaehwan?”

He thought about it for a while and replied, “Oh, I kinda forgot actually. I think it was around $75? I’m not too sure.”

 

Wonshik sputtered.

 

“$75?! I-I-I can’t possibly have this! It’s too expensive and honestly you’d look so much more stunning wearing it compared to me, I mean you look so stunning even with the simplest clothes and even more so with this scarf,” he motioned the scarf towards Jaehwan, though the pretty boy was too stubborn to accept it.

“Oh Shikkie, thanks for the compliment!”

 

Wonshik didn’t even realize he had said it out loud.

 

Oops.

 

“But seriously, Shik, I meant it when I said you should keep it. I know I look great wearing it,” he said with a grin and a wink, moving closer towards Wonshik, “but you just look adorable in it,” he said with a gentle smile.

 Jaehwan then took the scarf from Wonshik’s hands and wrapped it around Wonshik, the same way like he did yesterday. Wonshik could do nothing but look lovestruck as usual, the same old red shade dusting his cheeks. He could basically smell Jaehwan’s cologne and it was immediately deemed as his favorite scent.

 

“I think it’s time for you to go now. Oh! I almost forgot something, silly me.”

He quickle went behind the counter, a few shuffling was heard, and he went back to Wonshik with a little something behind his back.

 

“Here.”

 

Jaehwan motioned to him a small bouquet of Gardenias*. They were absolutely breathtaking.

 

“Jaehwan, I—I can’t—“, he quickly stuttered out but nonetheless gratefully accepted the small gift.

“I don’t know that much about flowers and I’m sure you know better than I do, but just take it as a token of thanks anyways,” he said while smiling fondly towards Wonshik,

“You know, for helping us out here and of course for the flowers. I—we appreciate it a lot, Shikkie.”

 

Wonshik was utterly speechless, he wanted to say thanks but a single ringtone had interrupted him. He fumbled for his phone and wasn’t too surprised when all he heard was a nagging voice.

 

“Wonshik you brat! Don’t spend all your damn time flirting and hurry your here and help me out!” Hakyeon was practically screaming over the phone, to which Jaehwan and Taekwoon both chuckled. Good old Hakyeon, as usual.

 

“I-I gotta go now, seriously Jaehwan I have to pay you back somehow! Its the least I could do,” he said.

Jaehwan just cooed because Wonshik is so adorable to repay him when he doesn’t need to at all. He takes up on the offer anyways.

 

“Alright, I’ll be awaiting those phone calls then!” he said with a wink.

 

“Have a good day Jaehwan! You too, Taek!” he quickly shouted to the both of them before rushing out the door and into the bustling streets.

 

Jaehwan just chuckled at Wonshik.

 

“You too, Shikkie. I hope you have a good day too.”

 

 

Wonshik rushed past people, with a dopey smile plastered on his face because he can’t believe the stunning barista just gave him a bouquet. He silently cursed himself for one, forgetting to ask if Jaehwan was really the one who sang that morning, two, his number.

 

He’ll just ask tomorrow, he thinks.

 

His smile was much more wider now. He was already excited to see Jaehwan again tomorrow.

 

 

He can’t wait.

 


a/n: hello hello everyone!! so sorry for the really long update,, i kinda forgot i had an AFF account since i always spend time on my AO3 account^^;; + i had a hard time during exam week, sprained my knee and had to do another project ㅠㅠ it was hectic! but i'm glad to say i'm finally on holiday~

how was it? i hope you guys enjoyed it!! i tend to post much more faster/earlier in AO3 so i hope you can visit there instead, i'll still post here though! its just on AFF you cant really show appreciation for a fic unless you've subscribed/commented, visiting the page sometimes doesn't mean that you've read it;; so the kudos on AO3 really help me going!! 

nonetheless i still appreciate all your support you've given me on this website!! it means a lot ㅠㅠ<333 

i already have chpt 3 pre-written so i can easily write it now~ hopefully i can update soon!! (this is the continuation for chpt 2~)

i hope you enjoyed it and tysm for all your support!!  until next time uwu~ <333

*Gardernias = "you're lovely, secret love, purity and refinement." (based on http://www.livingartsoriginals.com/infoflowersymbolism.htm)        i dont actually know that much about flowers lol.