:Fast as Lightning

In the Next Lifetime
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N: To avoid confusion, the italicized part is the present time. The rest of the content is a flashback from the past. Thank you and enjoy <3

***

Lisa finds herself sitting at the edge of the vast field where grasses are trimmed and cut short in an almost symmetrical way, the wide-open space obviously intended for sports and physical exercises inside the perimeter of their university. Several distant noises coming from students can be heard in her vicinity, but the blonde fixates herself to focus and enjoy the cold autumn air slicing through huge and tall pine trees which caused the soft breeze to hum through her ears and it calms her in a good way while currently waking up rigid and stiff muscles by stretching joints and limbs from last night’s rest.

It isn’t a of luck that got Lisa the scholarship in this prestigious university that paved way to one of her dreams. Hard work, dedication and passion peers thru the tip of the iceberg albeit an understatement to describe what she have to go through, because underneath the tip were the hardships, difficulties and sacrifices she worked hard for to get where she is today. Her dreams now reside inside the parameters of a diamond-shaped field, where striking and catching flying balls in mid-air keeps the blonde’s adrenaline running even at the first light in the morning.

About to finish her routine, she notices something in her peripheral vision to which her eyes slightly stings caused by the sudden flashes of light that indirectly hit her. She thought it is very unusual, and it occurred to her to find the source of it as she squints her eyes over a short brunette girl who scratches her head in annoyance to which Lisa confirmed, because she also has the same look in her face. After tweaking the device, the girl presses the shutter of the camera and no flash comes out of it this time.

With a satisfied look, the girl places in position with her right hand tightly gripped over the camera, her stance angled and sharp with bent knees, an eye positioned and docked through the camera’s viewfinder where her thumb and middle finger of her left hand rotates the lenses alternately as she focuses on her subject, aiming for the best shot she can take. Lisa’s line of vision follows the girl’s subject and it points directly to her teammate, apparently the best pitcher in their team, who’s giving warm-up throws to their newly recruited benchwarmer, who is today’s catcher for the practice.

As the warm-up between her two teammates ends, it’s where hell begins for the catcher when the pitcher cuts to the chase this time, throwing curveballs with accuracy and speed.

Lisa observes the exchanges between the two to which she observes that the catcher is not handling the throws quite well. The blonde’s gut telling her that something bad is about happen, time ticks in her head as her stomach grew uneasy with each second that passes by, warm sweat turns into cold ones forming beads and covering Lisa’s skin, the clock strikes and before seconds turn into a minute, Lisa’s feet moves even before her mind catches up with the situation. Long legs strides to the direction of the girl who’s holding the camera who can only look straight, eyes wide – opened in horror, it’s almost popping out its sockets. Stunned in her position, the curveball hurls itself fast inching its way closer to her as she closes her eyes at the last second to brace the impact, but the last thing she heard is a splicing loud “plop” that spears through her ears.

When the girl opens her eyes again, she feels that she is being held by an arm, draped around her shoulders with fingers softly gripping on the other to support her weight, her gaze travels towards Lisa with half of her face covered in sunrays. Her vision travels further to the taller blonde’s upright arm extended in the air, fingers wrapped around the ball that was supposed to hit her. She was awakened and brought back to her senses when the girl waves her free arm in front of her face.

“Are you okay, miss?” asked the softball player.

Broken from her trance, she realizes that her body is still leaning on the stranger to which she quickly lifts herself off from the contact to stand up properly. It takes a brief moment before it to registers that she’s being asked a question, apparently distracted and compelled to a beautiful being that is in front of her.

“Yeah… I am, thank you.”

“Be careful next time, okay? There might not be players around to save you from accidents like that, it could’ve cost you, your face or worse, your camera too.”

She bows her head down as a form of apology and gratitude to the softball player who just saved her, she is about to say something but the school bell rings, reminding the students that the first period of the class is already starting, Jennie sprints her way to her classroom while the latter is already running back to the field informing her two teammates about the “accident”.

***

The start of the second semester isn’t quite kind enough to the students in the university as the second week starts so are the requirements; tons of paper works were give

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter