: Death & Nostalgia

In the Next Lifetime
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Walking outside her apartment block wearing a black coat that falls just above her knees, a black ripped jeans and Dr. Martens shoes, Jennie’s foot accidentally treads on something that makes a crunching sound, to her surprise, it’s something unusual in her daily routine. Satisfying her curiosity, she lifts her foot only to find a dry leaf beneath and the thought occurs, that autumn has taken over Seoul in the past few months, but her mind wonders why it’s colder than the usual today.

Further wandering of eyes led her to a bunch of other fallen leaves stretched across the pavement of her neighborhood, she wonders why the city maintenance hasn’t cleaned it yet because they are usually keen and strict about keeping the community clean, but Jennie likes what she sees, perhaps it’s a part of something how things are supposed to be. A sudden gust of the wind causes the dead leaves to soar into the cold air in an almost steady rhythmic pattern, soft and gentle whirlwind of leaves that makes a pacifying ambience to which Jennie finds delight in such small, beautiful things at the moment.

It’s the last days of November and that’s when she realized that winter is just around the corner; it’s that time of the year again, there is a familiarity about winter that makes it her favorite season despite of the coldness that comes with it. The irony is the fact that there is a certain warmth that surges within her, perhaps a certain memory, time, place or…

A person.

Her train of thoughts were interrupted by a sudden honk of a car, apparently not just any, because you don’t quite often see a white Maserati Quattro Porte as your typical vehicle unless you have the luxury to have one. She jolts in surprise but composes herself immediately as she receives greetings from the person in the driver’s seat who smiles at her, from which she returns back with easiness. After the short and abrupt greeting, Jennie makes her way to the passenger seat and notices the car’s interior which is just as grand as its exterior finishes; Dirty white toned authentic leather hugging over plush and firmed seats, while its dashboard is also partly covered in the same material, the other remaining half is made up of expensive wood finish which is preserved in thick, hard resin, the rest of it just exudes excessive sophistication.

Having just settled in her seat, she secures herself in position as her friend steps on the accelerator, the vehicle makes a smooth and revering sound as the car glides swiftly into the horizon making more soft whirlwinds of dried leaves before disappearing completely from Jennie’s neighborhood as they make their way into downtown Seoul.

After weaving past traffic lanes, they have arrived at their first stop before their destination. Irene, Jennie’s older friend who also happens to be the driver, parks on the side of the road and places the vehicle on hazard, perpendicular to the flower boutique across the street. She gets out of the car and stops just before the pedestrian lane while waiting for the traffic signal to turn red.

Downtown Seoul, one of the busiest places in the city, where skyscrapers made up of glass and metals, towers over concrete buildings and other establishments; where people strides to crowded streets en route to their own destinations, universities and work places, where some people are in a rush with mobile phones in their ears, others walk in steady paces carrying bags or suitcases; the sound of mechanical engines and vehicle tires against road pavement with the occasional honks and beeps, this is what keeps the city alive.

When the pedestrian light turns green, she places her hands in her pockets in an attempt to preserve its warmth before making her way into the flower shop boutique. A bell dings as she goes inside the store, and the first thing she noticed was the boutique’s classic and vintage interior with a touch of contemporary modernity to keep up with the current trends, it’s one of those fine examples of juxtaposed interior arrangements and much to Jennie’s style, it suits her taste. She was then greeted by the storefront keeper.

“Good morning, what can I get for you today?”

“I’d like to have a bouquet of orchids, cattleya and vanilla in assortment, please”

“Alright, coming right up, I’ll have it arranged as soon as possible”

She patiently waits and as soon as Jennie gets the bouquet of orchids, she pays for it and hands a generous tip to the person who arranged the flowers who seemingly did a good job and proceeds to make her way to back to the car.

“Are you ready to go?”

Like any typical conversation, Jennie and Irene talked about the weather, they updated with each other’s current lives, catching up from the time they have been apart for so long, down to the most trivial things anything to fill in the silent air that seems to be weighing h

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter